PDA

View Full Version : Ok legal beagles -sort this out.

FROSTY
30th June 2005, 21:42
Scenario. You are riding down the bus lane towards a set of traffic lights.
The lights are red so you stop. The B (bus) green light comes on.
Are you legally allowed to ride off ??
Lets for a moment ignore common sense -I just want to know the legal answer.

sAsLEX
30th June 2005, 21:53
Argh under the old law no, but as this new law states the lanes marked for bus use are open to us then I cant see why not.

When the old law was in, and it was the local councils responsibility to determine wether we can use bus lanes i used them and found my self wondering the same situation. So I rang the coucil and they said I was allowed to use the lanes but not the lights as they are controlled by Transit.

So by taking their argument and extrapolating we should be able to, if not plead ignorant write a letter and get off, I did(old laws)
11.2 Special vehicle lanes
11.2(1) If defining a part of a road as a special vehicle lane, a road controlling authority must, at the start of the special vehicle lane and at the point at which the lane starts again after each intersection:

* (a) mark on the road surface a white symbol, that complies with Schedule 2, defining the class or classes of vehicle for which the lane has been reserved; and
* (b) if for other than a 24-hour restriction, install a special vehicle lane sign that complies with Schedule 1:
o (i) defining the class or classes of vehicle for which the lane has been reserved; and
o (ii) stating the periods for which the reservation applies.

11.2(2) A road controlling authority may provide the following traffic control devices to discourage use of a special vehicle lane by other vehicles, or to draw attention to the likely presence of vehicles entitled to the use of the lane:

* (a) additional white special vehicle lane symbols described in 11.2(1)(a) or signs described in 11.2(1)(b) along the length of the lane; or
* (b) if for a 24-hour restriction, special vehicle lane signs; or
* (c) a surface treatment that provides a contrasting colour or texture to that of adjacent lanes used by other vehicles:
o (i) at locations along the length of the lane; or
o (ii) along the length of the lane.

Displays for special classes of vehicle
6.4(10) If a bus lane traverses an area controlled by traffic signals, the road controlling authority:

* (a) must include a white B signal and may include a yellow B signal in the display of traffic signals to indicate when a bus is permitted to turn, or proceed straight ahead, when other vehicles are not allowed to make these movements; or
* (b) must include a red B signal in the display of traffic signals to indicate when a bus may not proceed from the bus lane when other vehicles are allowed to move in the same general direction; or
* (c) may include a column of white, yellow and red B signals in the display of traffic signals.

all stolen from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/traffic-control-devices-2004.html#6

Bus
means a passenger service vehicle that has more than nine seating positions (including the driver’s seating position).
Bus lane
means a lane reserved by a marking or sign installed at the start of the lane and at each point at which the lane resumes after an intersection, for the use of:

* (a) buses; and
* (b) cycles and motorcycles, unless either or both are specifically excluded by the signs.

stolen from http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/rules/traffic-control-devices-2004.html#part2

justsomeguy
30th June 2005, 21:56
No you wait until the bus has run over you.

sAsLEX
30th June 2005, 22:06
so in short, this is another poor attemt at legislation, they have updated the law so we can use bus lanes up to the point, but have not changed the bit about a B signal, so we must stop and wait for our normal Green disc, all the while holding up buses and destroying the point of having the bus lanes there in the first place.

just filter.

Sensei
30th June 2005, 22:18
Hook 1st stand slip 2nd continue & 3d for the hell of it then lane split all the way home :devil2:

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 08:13
Scenario. You are riding down the bus lane towards a set of traffic lights.
The lights are red so you stop. The B (bus) green light comes on.
Are you legally allowed to ride off ??
Lets for a moment ignore common sense -I just want to know the legal answer.

No. You sit there and hold the bus up.

FROSTY
1st July 2005, 12:22
yea well ok opinions but no legal definition of what we are allowed to do :mad:

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 12:45

Saslex just posted it. You're not a bus. you can't use their signals.

Ixion
1st July 2005, 12:56

Strict answer (emphasis added)

Land Transport Rule
Traffic Control Devices 2004
Rule 54002

Displays for special classes of vehicle

6.4(10) If a bus lane traverses an area controlled by traffic signals, the road controlling authority:

* (a) must include a white B signal and may include a yellow B signal in the display of traffic signals to indicate when a bus is permitted to turn, or proceed straight ahead, when other vehicles are not allowed to make these movements; or
* (b) must include a red B signal in the display of traffic signals to indicate when a bus may not proceed from the bus lane when other vehicles are allowed to move in the same general direction; or
* (c) may include a column of white, yellow and red B signals in the display of traffic signals.

So, answer is no.

Jabez
1st July 2005, 13:04
"B" stands for BIKE dosn't it........:)

Virago
1st July 2005, 13:08
So, going back to common sense (sorry Frosty), bikes are legally obliged to sit and hold up the bus behind them? Doesn't anyone actually think the legislation through first before making it law? What a load of Bucking Follocks! :weird:

Coldkiwi
1st July 2005, 13:10
Saslex just posted it. You're not a bus. you can't use their signals.

how about if its a hayaBUSa? :ride:

Jabez
1st July 2005, 13:18
So, going back to common sense (sorry Frosty), bikes are legally obliged to sit and hold up the bus behind them? Doesn't anyone actually think the legislation through first before making it law? What a load of Bucking Follocks! :weird:
Since when has common sense been a requirement for making laws... :weird:

TwoSeven
1st July 2005, 13:27
I use he bus lanes for slow filtering only, never go fast in them because you get idiots that pull into them to do left hand turns or some other idiotic move.

Other than slow filtering there really should be no other reason to use a bus lane.

When I get to the end, I pull back into the correct 'car' lane. Just like you'd normally filter.

bugjuice
1st July 2005, 13:31
the one I always wonder about it the bus lane on Esmond road over the shore. The road has lights on it, but the bus lane doesn't (heading from Lake road to the motorway onramp). If the main lights are red, can bikes jump into the bus lane (where there's no lights) and continue along. In theory, I think mmmmmm yes, but in practise, I think it might be other..

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 14:29
the one I always wonder about it the bus lane on Esmond road over the shore. The road has lights on it, but the bus lane doesn't (heading from Lake road to the motorway onramp). If the main lights are red, can bikes jump into the bus lane (where there's no lights) and continue along. In theory, I think mmmmmm yes, but in practise, I think it might be other..

It depends where the motorway starts as to how far you can travel in that lane.
From memory, the lights are not in the M/way section.

enigma51
1st July 2005, 14:48

Becarefull with that lane as soon as it becomes motorway we are not allowed in bus lanes. One of my mates got a fine there but he went to court and said that its a bus lane and how is he suppose to know you are not allowed in them so they let him go with a warning

sAsLEX
1st July 2005, 14:59

I use it most mornings from the big church thing from where the lane starts to the " northern Motoway" sign, at which point I duck back into the centre of the two car lanes

ManDownUnder
1st July 2005, 16:10
Sounds like the oild situation remains - you can ride right up to the light with a bus up your butt... but if the green B is on, and the light is red - you STOP

...and pray...

The law says you have to
MDU