PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Cop :-)

Fart
30th June 2005, 23:37
I was stopped tonight for speeding on the Southern Motorway near the Mt Wellington turnoff at around 10.30pm. Wasnt excessive, only 113km.

The cop I spoke to was very nice and polite and let me off with a warning on a few things. I think it was his partner that wanted stopped me and wasnt him, cos his partner was the driver. This guy gives all cops a good name and I respect him for that. I will immediately implement a few things on his advice. I know he is reading this, cos he is a biker as well.

Just wanted to say thanks and good on ya mate. :Punk: :ride:

XTC
30th June 2005, 23:39
They stopped you for 113kmh?? Must be a quiet night for them.
very lucky they didn't throw you in jail and throw away the key :)

zadok
30th June 2005, 23:40
Good to hear. I've had a few let offs like that over the years. It's certainly appreciated. :ride:

Crazy Steve
30th June 2005, 23:41
113kph.....

Hardcore alright!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy Steve :motu:

Fart
30th June 2005, 23:46
Maybe his partner driving the car has rectal problems and couldnt see the difference between 113 and 130. But the cop I spoke to was one of us and a good guy. He let me off on a few things with a warming. A good man.

Crazy Steve
30th June 2005, 23:52
Yeah RIGHT!!!!

Cops are all Fckers...Always are..Always will be!!!

:Punk:

Crazy Steve.

Odin
30th June 2005, 23:55
They are not all bad.

I had a 2liter van and a 1.8 liter sportscar at one stage, both manuels. And at times comming from the van to the sportscar you just kind of go with the sound of the engine and end up doing 75 in a 50k zone. On a day like that i was stopped doing 69 and got a warning. But an other time i was stopped and fined for "failing to stop for an orange light. :gob:
I would have understood a fine for the 69 ...but going trough yellow... :weird:

Ixion
30th June 2005, 23:57
They are not all bad.

I had a 2liter van and a 1.8 liter sportscar at one stage, both manuels. And at times comming from the van to the sportscar you just kind of go with the sound of the engine and end up doing 75 in a 50k zone. On a day like that i was stopped doing 69 and got a warning. But an other time i was stopped and fined for "failing to stop for an orange light. :gob:
I would have understood a fine for the 69 ...but going trough yellow... :weird:

well, you ARE required to stop for a yellow light, as well as a red. Yes, you are.

Odin
1st July 2005, 00:04
well, you ARE required to stop for a yellow light, as well as a red. Yes, you are.

I know... and i didn't complain. But there are degrees of strightnes IMHO. I could have stopped but all loose objects in the car would have ended up in the front. It was a border call and i guess you have to take my word for it. I was across before it turned red.

I think she (the police officer stopping me) had a dam bad day and needed a hood to take it out on. And once she stopped me her mind was made up.

loosebruce
1st July 2005, 01:32
I was across before it turned red.

Not many people in auckland can say that.............. now thats 1, 2, 3, 4 cars after its gone red. Fkn idiots.

Nice break on the warning Fart, next time though you might not be so lucky buddy, you better slow down ya lunatic :)
113kph is a bit excessive though, the bloody GSXR feels like its gonna to fall over at that speed.

Blackbird
1st July 2005, 07:47
Yeah RIGHT!!!!

Crazy Steve.

Steve, you have a right to your opinions but that's simply not true. There are undoubtedly less arseoles in the police than the rest of the community. They have a difficult job to to and difficult guidelines to work under particularly with traffic management.

And yes, I've been done for speeding and once had to do a fairly spectacular runner. And it was my fault every time

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 08:09
113 k's? What was the offence, obstructing traffic?

spudchucka
1st July 2005, 09:35
He let me off on a few things with a warming.
I know its been cold lately but cops going around warming speeding bikers is a bit over the top, thats taking the PR aspect a bit too far.

MSTRS
1st July 2005, 09:40
I know its been cold lately but cops going around warming speeding bikers is a bit over the top, thats taking the PR aspect a bit too far.
Copper was just excercising his.......discretion. A win/win situation.

zadok
1st July 2005, 09:43
Yeah RIGHT!!!!

Crazy Steve.

Tut, Tut :Playnice:

Pixie
1st July 2005, 10:07
Can't believe the propaganda has insinuated itself to the extent that a prick gives someone a ticket for 113 and he's getting complements from his victim.

....yes master,more,more,I love it :no:

bugjuice
1st July 2005, 10:16
so it wasn't you then? ;)

I haven't got anything against 'cops'.. but it's like any other job. Every industry has a wanker in it. I work with a few myself. But I don't judge the rest of my industry by those few. End of the day, they're still people, and you wouldn't know a cop out of uniform having their weekend or whatever.. I've ridden with off duty cops before. Been on the back of a bike with an off duty cop. That was mental. Just cos they do a job (and most of them a good one), and their job is to punish twats who break the law, they're seen as bad? pfft.. grow up

scumdog
1st July 2005, 10:22
I've been on this site for a while and have come to realise the various "problems" impinging on the abilities of motorbike riders to ride as they please or see fit and/or costing them money they would rather not spend.
I've listed them below in order of seriousness/importance:

Cops
Rough Roads
Cops
4 X 4's
Cops
Road Laws
Cops
Registration Costs
Cops
Insurance
Cops
Lane Splitting
Cages
Cops
Poor Road Signage
Cops
Fuel Prices
Cops
Motorists Lane Changing
Cops
Other Riders
Cops
People Touching Their Bike
Cops
Homos
Cops
Religion
Cops
Crashes
Cops
Smokers
Cops
:weird: eh?

And oh, read Spudchuckas post on this thread CAREFULLY, a lot of you are piss-poor readers and don't seem to notice the difference between warNing and warMing - or is it ME that's missed something?????

Fart
1st July 2005, 10:26
Nice break on the warning Fart, next time though you might not be so lucky buddy, you better slow down ya lunatic :)
113kph is a bit excessive though, the bloody GSXR feels like its gonna to fall over at that speed.

It is hard to keep looking at the speedo and the road at the same time. 113 is nothing for new cars and bikes these days, especially on my cbr600rr.

bugjuice
1st July 2005, 10:26
scumdog, you forgot 'white lining' or road paint in the wet, and I don't think you mentioned cops..

Fart
1st July 2005, 10:28

LOL :rofl: I should do a check before I post... LOL

Beemer
1st July 2005, 10:28
I had a similar thing happen to me years ago on the Hutt Motorway. I had just overtaken a ute with a badly smoking exhaust and as I rounded the bend leading to the Haywards Hill turn-off, there was a cop sitting on the side of the road and as I passed him, on went the lights. I pulled over and was expecting a ticket, but he asked why I had been going so fast and I told him the truth, that I was running late! He asked where I lived and where I worked, and then said "well, you obviously travel this road regularly, and you know what will happen if I catch you again!" and let me off! That warning stayed with me for ages - every time I was travelling along that road I consciously thought "if he's there again, I'll get done!" That was about 1997 and I got another warning about a year ago just north of Shannon - again, spoken to with politeness, and told to take it easy. Result - I slowed down and had a good feeling about those two cops who could easily have given me a ticket.

But I also got done for going through an orange light in Wellington - the guy BEHIND me braked when he saw the cop in the side road waiting to turn, and he ended up 10 feet into the intersection. Did he get a ticket? No, but I was followed for more than a kilometre before this prick put the lights and siren on and pulled me up. I immediately pulled over as I thought he was on his way to another incident, and got a real shock when he pulled in behind me. I took it to court as I had long been writing to the police and complaining about people who ran red lights - but was told my letters were "not relevant" and I was not allowed to mention them! Result, lost half a day's pay, copped a fine, demerit points and court costs, and hated cops for ages.

I'm not saying I shouldn't have got a ticket in all cases, but the difference was the attitude of the cops. When I said I had gone through an orange light because I didn't believe I had enough room to stop safely, he said I must have been speeding! I was about 10m back from the light when it changed, doing 45kph! So I knew better than to argue after that, I was getting a ticket whether I thought I deserved one or not.

Let's hear it for cops with attitude - good attitude!

Fart
1st July 2005, 10:34
Can't believe the propaganda has insinuated itself to the extent that a prick gives someone a ticket for 113 and he's getting complements from his victim.

It wasnt him that stopped me, it was his partner driving the cop car. He was the nice cop that let me off and complimented my bike. He is a rider himself and let me off. On of us. :ride:

Stopping me for 113km on a quiet cold night is abit too much. There was hardly any traffic on the road and also a car in front of me doing the same speed.

Ixion
1st July 2005, 10:41

Nay, seems right enough to me. Back in the day, there were a couple of occasions when I got a right roasting from a snake. I assume a warming is a more gentle version of a roasting

Pixie
1st July 2005, 11:05
Nay, seems right enough to me. Back in the day, there were a couple of occasions when I got a right roasting from a snake. I assume a warming is a more gentle version of a roasting
Never having been a recipient,how exactly do they warm you? Does it involve friction?Or chemical reactions?

spudchucka
1st July 2005, 11:57

No body gave anyone a ticket and the only prick present is you for fucking over a thread about cops that stayed decent for a whole 15 posts.

Ixion
1st July 2005, 12:05
Never having been a recipient,how exactly do they warm you? Does it involve friction?Or chemical reactions?

Neither. It all works from radiated heat. As the snake points out to you the stupidity of your actions, and the possible consequences thereof, and demonstrates in detail just how abysmally ignorant you are, your ears get redder and redder,and the radiant heat spreads outward, until your whole body is glowing

(And have to say that said snake didn't accompany it with a ticket, but did accompany it with some very good advice and riding tips. And I remember his concern for and interest in young riders with respect and admiration to this day. Education and guidance always works better than clobbering and fines . Pity the police today don't follow his philosophy. Our roads would be a lot safer and we'd probably have a lot more bikers.)

FEINT
1st July 2005, 12:24
I know two people and myself that have been stopped by cops in the last 3 days.

Two of the three walked away with a fine. Not good, there are some nasty cops out there and some nice ones, either way, be careful out there guys.

scumdog
1st July 2005, 12:27
Re Ixions experience above and comment;

It would help if riders wore a sign differentiating between "I have just screwd up and been caught but don't normally ride like this" and "I'm a right dick-head who's been warned six times recently and taken no notice"

Unfortunately the "stupidoscope" is still under developement so the cops can't always tell the difference between the two types above when they stop and speak to them.

I have thought that maybe a kind of "warning" ticket could be issued and the details entered on the computer straight away so the next cop that stops a dick-head an hour later knows he has already been warned for whatever he's been doing, unfortunately nobody has picked up and run with it - maybe Lou is right, it's all about revenue gathering?? Not my job to worry about it if it is, my salary doesn't include payment for that kind of worry. :whistle:

thehollowmen
1st July 2005, 12:35

I have thought that maybe a kind of "warning" ticket could be issued and the details entered on the computer straight away so the next cop that stops a dick-head an hour later knows he has already been warned for whatever he's been doing, unfortunately nobody has picked up and run with it - maybe Lou is right, it's all about revenue gathering?? Not my job to worry about it if it is, my salary doesn't include payment for that kind of worry. :whistle:

That's not a bad idea.
Would it be done on the vehicle or driver basis?

It would be easier to check if they were entered by vehicles or easier to enter details when you'd stopped and weren't following the car.

With respect: I think the reason they can take a while to switch on the lights is because they want to see if you make more mistakes, while calling up all the vehicle details to see if you're a really naughty boy.

idb
1st July 2005, 12:40
I have thought that maybe a kind of "warning" ticket could be issued and the details entered on the computer straight away so the next cop that stops a dick-head an hour later knows he has already been warned for whatever he's been doing, unfortunately nobody has picked up and run with it
You could tell if they've been warmed already by whether they are wearing a jacket or not.
Too many warmings could lead to spontaneous combustion.

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 12:41
Scumdog. Being bad-mouthed is better than not being spoken of at all.
Spud. If anything strikes fear into me, it's not your declared life's ambition to give me a ticket. It's the thought of a warming with friction.
keep it up and I might start being law-abiding.

scumdog
1st July 2005, 12:43
With respect: I think the reason they can take a while to switch on the lights is because they want to see if you make more mistakes, while calling up all the vehicle details to see if you're a really naughty boy.

True. It is always handy to know whether the rider only has 20 demerits to his name or is likely to step off blazing away at you with a Desert Eagle...

Of course you have to take a punt that the guy riding owns the bike and is not his mate/stole it whatever...

Fart
1st July 2005, 13:02
It is getting pretty warm in here with all this warming.

:rofl:

Ixion
1st July 2005, 13:12

It would help if riders wore a sign differentiating between "I have just screwd up and been caught but don't normally ride like this" and "I'm a right dick-head who's been warned six times recently and taken no notice"

Unfortunately the "stupidoscope" is still under developement so the cops can't always tell the difference between the two types above when they stop and speak to them.

I'm sure the MOT guys used to have an "Offical Written Warning" thing years ago. Was on paper, like a ticket except it didn't go through into the actual "fine" stage. I remember getting one (from the snake I talked about) for doing a wheelie (OK, on my BSA Bantam, so hardly impressive) . I always believed (possibly incorrectly) that the warning sort of turned into a full ticket if they found you already had a previous warning. Mr Lou Girardin should know ?

I always thought it was a jolly good idea.

Lou Girardin
1st July 2005, 14:27
I'm sure the MOT guys used to have an "Offical Written Warning" thing years ago. Was on paper, like a ticket except it didn't go through into the actual "fine" stage. I remember getting one (from the snake I talked about) for doing a wheelie (OK, on my BSA Bantam, so hardly impressive) . I always believed (possibly incorrectly) that the warning sort of turned into a full ticket if they found you already had a previous warning. Mr Lou Girardin should know ?

I always thought it was a jolly good idea.

It was written on a normal offence notice, but we wrote "warning only" after the offence. It was great watching their faces as the ticket was written out, then they read it and beamed with relief. Nasty eh!
There was no database of warnings though. It would be great to have this now, but;
A/ Cops would have to give warnings. (Or warmings if you're in Palmy)
B/ Revenue would drop.

Blackbird
1st July 2005, 14:28
You're right Ixion - I got one for excessive speed at Ngongotaha many moons ago. He was out of his car at the time so no accurate measure. He saw me well before I saw him and waved me down. Good bollocking, then an official warning. Got off lightly under the circumstances.

enigma51
1st July 2005, 14:50
Yeah RIGHT!!!!

Crazy Steve.

Clearly not asshole! :motu:

XTC
1st July 2005, 15:07
I know two people and myself that have been stopped by cops in the last 3 days.

Two of the three walked away with a fine. Not good, there are some nasty cops out there and some nice ones, either way, be careful out there guys.
But was the fine for some law they broke or just for fun hmmmmm???? You break a law you must be prepared to accept responsibility for breaking said law - You all know the risks so stop crying and pay up!!!

Bonez
1st July 2005, 16:11
Yeah RIGHT!!!!

Crazy Steve.No some are mermaids, the traffic type, cunts with scales. :whistle:

johnny
1st July 2005, 17:42
LLucky you mate!! wish i have this luck when i "accidently speeding".....

SPman
1st July 2005, 18:13
He let me off on a few things with a warming.

A warming, eh......so, tell us....what else went on at the roadside....?:devil2:

How n.i.c.e.... was this cop?

Fart
1st July 2005, 20:51
FFS !! Enough of these warming jokes. The letter "N" is right next to the letter "M" on the keyboard, so warning and warming are neighbours. All these English words all look the same to us Asians. :rofl:

jaybee180
1st July 2005, 22:24
It was written on a normal offence notice, but we wrote "warning only" after the offence. It was great watching their faces as the ticket was written out, then they read it and beamed with relief. Nasty eh!
There was no database of warnings though. It would be great to have this now, but;
A/ Cops would have to give warnings. (Or warmings if you're in Palmy)
B/ Revenue would drop.

Don't tell me you actually did something that could have been construed as being "nasty". Perhaps you'll remember this next time you're slinging your usual mud at the Police.

spudchucka
2nd July 2005, 07:21
Scumdog. Being bad-mouthed is better than not being spoken of at all.
Spud. If anything strikes fear into me, it's not your declared life's ambition to give me a ticket. It's the thought of a warming with friction.
keep it up and I might start being law-abiding.
I'm sending you a virtual hug right now.

Lou Girardin
4th July 2005, 10:35
Don't tell me you actually did something that could have been construed as being "nasty". Perhaps you'll remember this next time you're slinging your usual mud at the Police.

Warning = nasty?
Or live ticket for 11 k's over?
I prefer my way.

Lou Girardin
4th July 2005, 10:36
I'm sending you a virtual hug right now.

Oh Jesus, I need an anti-hug firewall right now!

jaybee180
4th July 2005, 16:56
Warning = nasty?
Or live ticket for 11 k's over?
I prefer my way.

I'm referring to the fact that you apparently enjoyed the fact that the driver thought you were giving them a ticket.

I suspect you've always preferred "your own way" with pretty much everything!

NodMan
11th July 2005, 22:33
Last Word FART...you never know when a fellow kiwibiker might save ya tail......think it was WARNING Eh Boy not a WARMING... Thats when ya get the bracelet treatment!
Stay cool ya never know what I'll be on next time...BUT IT WONT BE A BMW!!!!!

Lou Girardin
12th July 2005, 09:40
Last Word FART...you never know when a fellow kiwibiker might save ya tail......think it was WARNING Eh Boy not a WARMING... Thats when ya get the bracelet treatment!
Stay cool ya never know what I'll be on next time...BUT IT WONT BE A BMW!!!!!

Is man on man warming an offence again?

idb
12th July 2005, 10:45
There was the fellow who got pulled over for speeding by a rather attractive female cop.
She told him that anything he said could be held against him so he said "your tits...".

WRT
12th July 2005, 11:22
idb - love it!