PDA

View Full Version : Honda VFR1200 (2011) road test

Bob
5th June 2011, 00:33
The VFR1200: a bike that has suffered from preconceptions. The rumour mill was chuntering for a long time, claiming Honda was going to come up with a larger capacity V4 sportsbike, or even a V5 or 6. So when the VFR1200 finally arrived – saddled with a truly dire marketing claim from Honda that it was the “Bike that would change the world of motorcycling for the next decade”, it faced an uphill struggle to shrug off the imaginary beast of the forums.

This wasn’t what people had dreamt up. What it was/is, is a 1200cc sports-tourer, with a supposedly non-sporting shaft drive and a decidedly non-touring 18.5 litre tank. It also didn’t sport 1,001 mode settings like all the other top of the range machines. And the general consensus of opinion was it looked, well, a bit odd really (more on the looks later).

But clear your mind and consider this; if someone came up to you and said “Fancy 1200cc of sporty V4, with the practicality of shaft drive (does anyone want to spend their tour lubing and tightening chains on a regular basis)?” In my mind, this made it worth checking out.

Click here to read the rest of this review (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/11vfr1200.htm)

Bender
5th June 2011, 08:41
Bob, how did you find the ergonomics on the bike, particularly the high footpeg position? I've heard others complain about that.

Blackbird
5th June 2011, 10:43
Bob, a good review and having owned a Blackbird for the 8 years prior to the VFR 1200 being released, I was eagerly awaiting it as a potential replacement. I'd have to say that I was bitterly disappointed. Superbly built with a fabulous finish but like most Blackbird owners throughout the world, it wasn't the natural progression which we'd been expecting. Performance was very similar to the Blackbird, not a step up. Looks are a personal thing. Personally, the looks did nothing for me at an emotional level. However, the killer as far as most 'bird owners were concerned was the lack of range. Maybe a bit more important to people in NZ, Australia and the like than perhaps the UK but it's a serious impediment for people who like to keep riding. If it's a sports tourer, then it has to have range. It's not a sports bike so lack of range isn't an excuse. In that case, what market niche does it really serve? I'd be so bold as to say that bikes like the FJR 1300, Bandit, Sprint GT and other big sports-tourers with luggage offer similar performance and better range for far less money.

A good bike in its own right, but that doesn't guarantee healthy sales. It arguably doesn't have a soul either.

Cheers,

Geoff

hayd3n
5th June 2011, 11:58
Bob, a good review and having owned a Blackbird for the 8 years prior to the VFR 1200 being released, I was eagerly awaiting it as a potential replacement. I'd have to say that I was bitterly disappointed. Superbly built with a fabulous finish but like most Blackbird owners throughout the world, it wasn't the natural progression which we'd been expecting. Performance was very similar to the Blackbird, not a step up. Looks are a personal thing. Personally, the looks did nothing for me at an emotional level. However, the killer as far as most 'bird owners were concerned was the lack of range. Maybe a bit more important to people in NZ, Australia and the like than perhaps the UK but it's a serious impediment for people who like keep riding. If it's a sports tourer, then it has to have range. It's not a sports bike so lack of range isn't an excuse. In that case, what market niche does it really serve? I'd be so bold as to say that bikes like the FJR 1300, Bandit, Sprint GT and other big sports-tourers with luggage offer similar performance and better range for far less money.

A good bike in its own right, but that doesn't guarantee healthy sales. It arguably doesn't have a soul either.

Cheers,

Geoff
WHAT!!!
no SOUL?

Blackbird
5th June 2011, 12:05
WHAT!!!
no SOUL?

Hahaha!

Some bikes are great in terms of specification but they simply don't captivate you. I've owned one or two like that. Competent, do what they're supposed to do but lack that extra something. When I say SOUL, I don't mean like the car Christine from Stephen King's novel :shutup:

Bob
5th June 2011, 21:01
Bob, how did you find the ergonomics on the bike, particularly the high footpeg position? I've heard others complain about that.

I found the riding position comfortable, aside from the slightly wristy position made me feel sore at the end of the day. As I said in the review, I fidgited for the first time at around 100 miles (150/160km). It didn't get any worse, but I'd say the tank range and the need for a short break fit together nicely.

Sticking with the tank range, at touring pace you're talking 150 miles (so 225/240km)? I can see how that range might be an issue for some, mind, but I'd probably be looking to pull over for a stretch of the legs about then.

quickbuck
7th June 2011, 12:12
Have Honda put the Horn and Indicator switches in the "correct" place on the 2011 model?

jaffaonajappa
7th June 2011, 23:19
Have Honda put the Horn and Indicator switches in the "correct" place on the 2011 model?

Nope. They didnt leave em in the Honda factory....
:blink:

Bob
8th June 2011, 00:19

The one I rode still had them in the 'wrong' location. Funny story about this; I rode this bike a week after road testing a Harley... a Harley that caused me all sorts of problems with the immobiliser/alarm.

So, when I stopped to fill the tank of the VFR, it slipped my mind completely that the swtiches are all over the place (compared to conventional settings). And instead of starting the bike, I hit the emergency light switch.

Suddenly, I am faced with a VFR1200 with all the indicators going on and off! For a moment, panic sets in as I think I am faced with another blasted alarm/immobiliser going off with no instructions on how to stop/reset it. Thankfully, it only took a second or two before I realised what I had done. :rolleyes:

Toaster
8th June 2011, 00:27
Some nice touches on the fairings etc but I agree the below class average tank and therefore reduced range is a negative. I prefer my 29 litre tank and more upright position - that way my bladder or desire for coffee will always beat any need for fuel.... or a stretch for that matter.

Gremlin
8th June 2011, 01:51
Hondas generally don't have a soul, you always get that feeling they engineered it out of the bike. You end up loving it because it's just so damn good... they get under your skin.

I agree on the range. Honda screwed that up. Blackbird was somewhere around 22-24? L and even 2up with luggage and going at a decent clip, 300 before reserve was possible.

When really ride fit, I'll do 400km between stops... my BMW can manage 700km+ from a tank if ridden very economically.

wanpo
27th June 2011, 13:27
...if ridden very economically.

Like that'll happen :tugger:

Blackbird
28th June 2011, 08:53
UK vehicle registration statistics show that there are 4064 Blackbirds currently registered in the UK and just 130 VFR 1200's. Admittedly, the 'bird has been in production since 96/97 but I think the VFR will have a long battle to reach those figures. I'd pick that a fair few registered bikes will be dealers demo models too :innocent:

pritch
30th June 2011, 21:23
I found the riding position fine when riding in the country. Last ride though was in town and I find that I have gone off dropped bars these days.

The 18L tank is not overlarge but was more useful than the 15L I had on the S4R that I owned when the VFR 1200 came out. That 18L is about what I have on the Triumph too and it hasn't really been a handicap.

The VFR is a lovely bike but Bob's comments about the excessive pre-introduction hype are right on.

There was a special deal offered on the VFR in NZ a while back. Although I can't remember what it was, it was relatively modest. Much more modest than the several grands worth of luggage that was on offer in Oz.

Big Dave
3rd July 2011, 10:14
I found the Blackbird really uncomfortable. My legs felt spread wider than the handlebars. It was actually my least favourite modern superbike. Didn't like the engine's character much either. Overall much preferred the Hyabusa.

VFR worked pretty good ergonomically and it does everything else equally well.
Fuel capacity and price are its only issues to me - although they have dropped the price lately somewhat too.

Blackbird
3rd July 2011, 10:22
I found the Blackbird really uncomfortable. It was actually my least favourite modern bike. Didn't like the engine's character much either. Much preferred the Hyabusa.

VFR worked pretty good ergonomically and it does everything else equally well.
Fuel capacity and price are its only issues to me .- although they have dropped the price lately somewhat too.

I'm not surprised regarding comfort, given your size:innocent:. One of my riding partners is 6'6" (another Aussie). He had a 'bird for 2 years and it killed his knees. He's very happy on a VStrom 1000 now. The 'bird stock seat isn't very comfortable either for a long haul and I put a Rider brand on. I'm the other end of the scale at 5'8".

Big Dave
3rd July 2011, 11:22
I'm not surprised regarding comfort, given your size:innocent:. One of my riding partners is 6'6" (another Aussie). He had a 'bird for 2 years and it killed his knees. He's very happy on a VStrom 1000 now. The 'bird stock seat isn't very comfortable either for a long haul and I put a Rider brand on. I'm the other end of the scale at 5'8".

I added a bit to the post too. Yeah - entirely about height. But a Busa is OK, funnily - apart from the knee stretches needed. Same with the Sprints.

Speedy is more comfy.

Not as bad as the B-king - physically can't ride it. Nowhere for legs to go and operate controls.

insane1
23rd July 2011, 18:39
anyone ridden the dct version,any good?.

raziel1983
20th September 2011, 16:39
These things have almost 10 grand off retail price at the mo.. :yes: