PDA

View Full Version : Any cage mechanics on here?

Hawkeye
7th June 2011, 18:29
Just finished rebuilding the cage after having to replace valves. Everything seems fine, engine starts and ticks over although I had to speed up the tickover to keep her ticking over without sitting with my foot on the accelerator. No strange noises so all good.
Issue I have is I cant get it into gear without it cutting out on me. As soon as I put it into gear, the car tries to pull away. It wont keep going while in gear with the handbrake on.:facepalm:
It's an automatic so this is a big issue. Car has been off the road in the garage for a few months now while I've been working on the head and rebuilding her. I've now reached a wall as far as knowledge is concerned.
Anyone any ideas?

Hopeful Bastard
7th June 2011, 18:32
So you increased the Idle so it keeps running?

And now it stalls when you put it into Drive with the Handbrake on??

How bout the foot brake? Does it stall when you have the footbrake on and put it into drive??

unstuck
7th June 2011, 18:40
Whats it idling at, rpm wise.

ducatilover
7th June 2011, 18:42
Re-check all your sensors are in place correctly and plugged in, is the inhibitor switch wired correctly, not loose etc?

Latte
7th June 2011, 18:45
Sounds like RPM at idle is higher than the torque converters lockup rpm.

Grumph
7th June 2011, 20:25
Could also be a torque converter issue - sometimes they don't like sitting for long periods.
try putting it up on good axle stands and see if it will run through the gears.
Sometimes just running them up quietly will solve any apparent problems.

Hawkeye
7th June 2011, 20:38
So you increased the Idle so it keeps running?

And now it stalls when you put it into Drive with the Handbrake on??

How bout the foot brake? Does it stall when you have the footbrake on and put it into drive??

Yeah! exactly the same issue. Idleing at around 12,000

Smokin
7th June 2011, 20:56
I'm guessing that your idle is 11,200 RPM too high

Katman
7th June 2011, 21:49
Idleing at around 12,000

That could be a problem. :facepalm:

gwigs
7th June 2011, 21:52
I,d be looking for a vacuum leak if you have to have the idle up to 1200.

onearmedbandit
7th June 2011, 22:00
Be kind of good to know some more details, ie what car exactly is it?

Nasty
7th June 2011, 22:02
Call Phil ... I have his number ... you know me old neighbour :)

Hawkeye
7th June 2011, 22:30
Be kind of good to know some more details, ie what car exactly is it?

1995 Mitsibushi RVR Sports Gear 2.0L Turbo automatic.
4G63 DOHC

nzmikey
8th June 2011, 13:06
1995 Mitsibushi RVR Sports Gear 2.0L Turbo automatic.
4G63 DOHC

Well there's ya problem right there :clap::shutup:

Hawkeye
8th June 2011, 21:46
Yeah! exactly the same issue. Idleing at around 12,000

oop's sorry That should be 1200 :facepalm:

Hawkeye
8th June 2011, 21:47
Well there's ya problem right there :clap::shutup:

Expected this kind of response. But from more than just one.

Phreak
8th June 2011, 22:05
Your idle is too high. Does it 'clunk' when you put it into gear before dying? If so, you probably need a new gearbox. Try doing a transmission fluid flush and change first, might help... If it were me, I'd swap in a manual box and clutch set-up. Gonna cost you a little bit more, but easier (and probably cheaper) in the long run. Auto 'boxes are a prick of a thing to fix. I had one that went real bad a few years ago that ended up setting me back about $2000 to sort out. But yeah, check for vacuum leaks and plug connections to the gearbox, might just be a dodgy terminal. Can't really say much else without looking at it in person.

*By the way I'm a qualified auto-sparky. Going from past experience (my dad used to have an RVR the same.)

Good luck!

BoristheBiter
8th June 2011, 22:12
Try doing a tranny fluid flush and change first,

Good luck!

I think you can get a cheap one up K road...... or so I've heard.

Rhys
8th June 2011, 23:14
Check the timing and drop the idle back, it should be idling at about 800 rpm. At 1200 rpm the transmission is trying to drive the car so hence the clunk as it goes into gear

pete376403
9th June 2011, 20:52
. Auto 'boxes are a prick of a thing to fix. I had one that went real bad a few years ago that ended up setting me back about $2000 to sort out.

Auto boxes, like most things, are easy to fix if you have the knowlege and tools.

The gearbox issue is not the problem here - it's a result of the high idle. The idle speed is high because that is what it takes to keep the motor running.
Assuming this particular problem did not exist before the engine was worked on - what has been done to the engine? Cylinder head removed, which means manifolds, fuel system various hoses and pipes have been disturbed. I'd be looking for (as has already been suggested) a vacuum leak, probably as a result of either a hose/pipe left off or a misplaced gasket / o-ring. It has to be on the inlet side, so search around the inlet manifold, throttle body.