PDA

View Full Version : How good is your helmet?

orangeback
8th June 2011, 07:58
A friend showed me this site, Here i was thinking that i had a good helmet, till it put it in this site, and looked a some if its week points in a crash,
Shoei xr1000 , I have 2 of them one for me and the wife , among some others Icon and and 661 for the motard and dirt bike.
Put you hat in the the drop down box and see how well you rate. there is some cheep lid that rate very well. and high end lids that you'll be surprised how crap they are.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/home

lets see some of your results, price is not always a good indication on quality or brand

CRF119
8th June 2011, 08:22
After getting concussion 3 times now in motor x i have managed to work out what protects my head the most. Alot comes down to the hardness of the polystyrine inside. My VFX-W has some of the softest. To bad they don't test MX helmets.

As for my road bike helmets they both got 5 stars XR1100 and X Spirit II.

Ronin
8th June 2011, 08:58
Mine was removed at birth. Bastards.

King_Pickle
8th June 2011, 10:09
I have a Shark S900, which according to that site gets a 4 star rating.

Jackal
8th June 2011, 10:28
Mine is a HJC IS16 (2 stars) and my wife has a HJC MS Max (3 Stars) Very surprising. So much for the sales pitch at the shop!!!:angry:

ac3_snow
8th June 2011, 10:35
I got a shark RSI, (which I'm very happy with!!) that site gives it four stars, and interestingly the RSX which is listed as a cheaper helmet gets five stars.
So you don't always get what you pay for. But that doesn't account for lightness, aerodynamics, noise, venting etc...

imdying
8th June 2011, 10:36
This is all assuming that you believe what some governmental propaganda machine has to say about rating helmets.

Chancebmx25
8th June 2011, 10:40
This is all assuming that you believe what some governmental propaganda machine has to say about rating helmets.

yer true that....

Scuba_Steve
8th June 2011, 10:44

I don't believe there is a better system, other than trying each one your self (which would get very expensive).
I think this site is a good idea as for once they're not trying to push the propaganda machine & just testing safety for the "greater good" (assuming of course they're not getting "kick-backs" from the helmet companies)

onearmedbandit
8th June 2011, 10:47
From what I have read Sharp conduct their tests in a different manner than most, concentrating on side impacts over front and back impacts. Not saying this is better or worse, just different.

imdying
8th June 2011, 11:25
I think this site is a good idea as for once they're not trying to push the propaganda machine & just testing safety for the "greater good" (assuming of course they're not getting "kick-backs" from the helmet companies)Seems good on the face of it, but a government site doing something upfront and honest? Properly? Really? Reeeealy? Given past history, it seems unlikely.

Scuba_Steve
8th June 2011, 11:36
Seems good on the face of it, but a government site doing something upfront and honest? Properly? Really? Reeeealy? Given past history, it seems unlikely.

true, but theres always the chance this is the "sweet" to "soften" them before they give the UK people the wrong end of the stick.

Bren
8th June 2011, 11:37
My Nolan got 4 stars...Happy with that...the HJC got 2 stars.....I use the Nolan on my sports bike and HJC on commuter...

jaffaonajappa
8th June 2011, 11:47
Using an older Shoei, and a new LS2.
Prefer the shoei - its quiet.

Lots and lots of talk about the SHARP site here...in fact...its a sticky.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/75796-SHARP-helmet-ratings-released

HQfiend
8th June 2011, 11:48
Will somebody please google the sharp testing method and then you will understand the reason very expensive helmets only get 3 or 4 stars!

george formby
8th June 2011, 11:52
:gob::gob::gob::gob::shit:

My el cheapo Caberg trip has 5 stars! Maybe I'm reading it wrong:yes:

DEATH_INC.
8th June 2011, 12:06
Mine sucks :(

Banditbandit
8th June 2011, 12:23
My Shoei Raid II gets four stars - I'm happy with that. I've never hit the road with it - but I've written off two FFMs in crashes and walked away .. and I presume that FFMs would get a lesser rating ... so my Shoei rates well for my chance of survival

superman
8th June 2011, 13:19
5 Star $400 lid :yes: Happy with that!

yod
8th June 2011, 13:47
AGV Stealth, 5 stars, imported for less than $300 lol

Eyegasm
8th June 2011, 13:48
Will somebody please google the sharp testing method and then you will understand the reason very expensive helmets only get 3 or 4 stars!

If I read it right, Sharp have mis-interpreted a professors percentages.
They believe 53% of impacts are to the side, When infact he stated it was
only 36%

Hmm, either way my HJC FG-15 hit the ground and I walked away. So I will be getting a new one as it fit my head the best.

MrKiwi
8th June 2011, 15:21
Seems good on the face of it, but a government site doing something upfront and honest? Properly? Really? Reeeealy? Given past history, it seems unlikely.

What absolute nonsense. The site is very good and independent. It uses a system to to test front, rear, side and top impact. From a safety perspective there is not a better system of assessment than what this test protocol does. The old adage the more you play the safer the helmet is not true. Although I would comment that more expensive helmets are usually quieter and more comfortable to wear.

Scuba_Steve
8th June 2011, 15:31
What absolute nonsense. The site is very good and independent. It uses a system to to test front, rear, side and top impact. From a safety perspective there is not a better system of assessment than what this test protocol does. The old adage the more you play the safer the helmet is not true. Although I would comment that more expensive helmets are usually quieter and more comfortable to wear.

It's important to note, if people read the guides they do say the most important thing is fit, from there you can base on SHARP rating. They also emphasize that ALL helmets meet minimum safety standards the SHARP rating is additional.
It is true expense does not guarantee extra safety but it can mean light, comfort, features, design/look etc

jaffaonajappa
8th June 2011, 15:55
The old adage the more you play the safer the helmet is not true.

Agreed.
Played with my helmet most nights from age 12 till about 16.
My hearing improved, but I developed a nervous tick in my left arm.
Too much helmet play = not safe.

Dont forget.
Another thing helmets can do is - comfort and....reduce noise. Some better than others.

Maha
8th June 2011, 16:31
My KBC rates well enough...3 stars.
Impact points are very good/good.

SPman
8th June 2011, 18:02
I'd still like a new Bell Star (not tested)

Old Steve
8th June 2011, 20:06
I have an LS2 FF369, flip front full face. Got a three star rating.

I find it comfortable, and easy for me to put on and then fit my glasses.

Geeen
8th June 2011, 20:33
My Shark RSI Carbon got 4 stars, Awesomely comfy on my melon. My wifes Shark S650 also got 4 stars. She got hers on special for $200 and mine cost waaay more. but its black/carbon with black visor. Looks mean

Brett
8th June 2011, 20:53
So my Shoei XR1000 only gets 3 stars, not really what I expected given that my HJC CL14 gets the same but was a quarter of the price!

Hitcher
8th June 2011, 20:54
I had fundamentally flawed assessment tools. This one doesn't have a category for cork held together with duct tape.

Hitcher
8th June 2011, 20:55
I hate fundamentally flawed assessment tools. This one doesn't have a category for cork held together with duct tape.

MrKiwi
10th June 2011, 16:17
Agreed.
Played with my helmet most nights from age 12 till about 16.
My hearing improved, but I developed a nervous tick in my left arm.
Too much helmet play = not safe.

Dont forget.
Another thing helmets can do is - comfort and....reduce noise. Some better than others.

ha ha ha, my bad - great post in response!

Renegade
10th June 2011, 17:56
stoked with my caberg v2r getting the 5 star treatment