PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle rider training course in Lower Hutt - June & August 2011

Aslan
11th June 2011, 14:05
Folks I saw these courses in the local paper Hutt News this week and have enrolled in the June course.

Courses are funded in part by our ACC levies. Andrew Templeton and his wife are the instructors I understand and I believe they are well regarded.

This link should take you to the Hutt City Council site and enrollment info

http://www.huttcity.govt.nz/Your-Council/News-and-notices/Latest-News/Tune-up-your-on-road-motorcycle-skills/

Seems to me, as a 50 year veteran of motorcycling, we can always benefit by sharpening our skills and anything that helps us stay alive has got to be good.

Quasi
11th June 2011, 14:15
I did one of these a couple weeks back. Fantastic day, lots of skills taught and practiced. We should take up every single one of these opportunities we get to increase and practice our skill knowledge. Andrew and Lynn are great instructors who make it an easy learn.

Aslan
11th June 2011, 14:35
I did one of these a couple weeks back. Fantastic day, lots of skills taught and practiced. We should take up every single one of these opportunities we get to increase and practice our skill knowledge. Andrew and Lynn are great instructors who make it an easy learn.

Cheers Quasi - I first met Andrew on a Stay Upright Course at Manfield back in '99. They're both active in the Adventure Riding scene I believe.

blackdog
11th June 2011, 15:07
Just do it. Everyone should do two before being allowed a full license.

cold comfort
11th June 2011, 15:44
Just do it. Everyone should do two before being allowed a full license.

Totally agree with that one, and subsidised so no excuses. Also had the pleasure of Road Safe's program with Andrew when i got back into riding. Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks eh Aslan?

Blackbird
11th June 2011, 15:46
Aslan,

Andrew and Lyn are also Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) Observer/Instructors. If you enjoy the course, you might think about doing the IAM advanced rider training. It's pretty demanding but what you pick up is incredibly rewarding. BTW, I'm 63 and have been riding for over 4 decades. As you say, there's always something to learn.

If you want an IAM insight, my experiences so far are here:
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/02/putting-money-where-my-mouth-is.html
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/04/advanced-riding-masterclass.html
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/06/tour-de-thames-and-something-more.html

Cheers,

Geoff

Aslan
11th June 2011, 16:51
Totally agree with that one, and subsidised so no excuses. Also had the pleasure of Road Safe's program with Andrew when i got back into riding. Maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks eh Aslan?

thanks Mark - I'm in - just trying to encourage others to take advantage of these courses - see you've moved on up from the DR hope you're enjoying your new Trumphy - may see you on the next Dusty Butt

Aslan
11th June 2011, 16:54
Aslan,

Andrew and Lyn are also Institute of Advanced Motoring (IAM) Observer/Instructors. If you enjoy the course, you might think about doing the IAM advanced rider training. It's pretty demanding but what you pick up is incredibly rewarding. BTW, I'm 63 and have been riding for over 4 decades. As you say, there's always something to learn.

If you want an IAM insight, my experiences so far are here:
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/02/putting-money-where-my-mouth-is.html
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/04/advanced-riding-masterclass.html
http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/06/tour-de-thames-and-something-more.html

Cheers,

Geoff

Cheers for your response Geoff - we're the same age! (I'm also from the UK originally - came here in '59). Like your blog and certainly when I retire I may contemplate the instructor training you're embarked on - Cheers Aslan aka Stephen O

Blackbird
12th June 2011, 08:26
Thanks Stephen! For my circumstances, IAM was the best choice with time to put a bit of effort back into the motorcycling community and lift my skills at the same time. Might just extend my riding career to beyond where I'd originally imagined!

theseekerfinds
12th June 2011, 18:33
I've known Andrew and Lyn for many years having worked in the motorcycle industry alongside them and having done courses under their tutelage and can say they make learning a great no pressure experience, I've just printed out the form and will send my application off tomorrow.. I agree with the prevailing thought that we (as riders) should grab these opportunities whenever they come up, not only does it show that we are aware of the opportunities provided for us, but also that we are taking a proactive approach to our own survival. I challenge anyone to do rider training and NOT learn something new.. it is a challenge that has never been met in my experience and I have done a few training courses in my three decades of riding.. be the best $20 spent for some riders I'd bet :rockon:

saxet
14th June 2011, 14:50
I know it's already been said but DO IT! It should be compulsary and the advanced course also.
This is the best way to improve your riding and survival skills.
I'd been touring for 12 years and thought I had it sussed but learnt different after doing an advanced course. Emergency braking was the one thing that I really improved on, being forced to panic brake and learning how hard you can brake in a straight line ( in the dry ) has saved me many times.

oneofsix
14th June 2011, 14:58
Is the course open to all comers or is it for Hutt City residents only?

Aslan
14th June 2011, 21:23
Is the course open to all comers or is it for Hutt City residents only?

I don't think there's any geographic restriction - ring the lady whose name appears on the link at the beginning of this thread - she's helpful and enthusiastic to see as many of us as possible take advantage of rider training funded by our ACC levies

Tricia1000
15th June 2011, 02:34
As an instructor in the Auckland area, I would be keen to put on a similar thing in the Auckland area.
Does anyone know who might be interested in funding training in Auckland. I have asked ACC for some funding (awaiting a reply), and also the "former" Rodney District Council, but they have no money.
I would be happy to provide the training, the hardest bit being to get the sponsorship.
I can also provide Advanced Training to any level. www.rcsom.co.nz .
If anyone can give me any leads, then please pm me.

Furyos J
15th June 2011, 06:52
Does anyone know if i would be allowed on this course if i only have a restricted bike licence? and i turn up on a 600cc?
if they will let me i will be on this course, some more skills for 20bucks would be great!

Ender EnZed
15th June 2011, 11:39
Does anyone know if i would be allowed on this course if i only have a restricted bike licence? and i turn up on a 600cc?
if they will let me i will be on this course, some more skills for 20bucks would be great!

I highly doubt they'd send you away, they're not the cops. If you were concerned about it you could just declline to mention you're on your restricted.

Training is worth doing regardless of what rules you may typically break.

brin_vg
15th June 2011, 15:37
You won't find many wiser or more able to teach rider skills than Andrew. Definitely recommend getting any time possible with him, the advanced course they offer is also absolutely worth doing.

if they will let me i will be on this course, some more skills for 20bucks would be great! I'm not sure what this particular course entails, but I doubt you'll be going on the road with Andrew without your full.

Tricia1000
15th June 2011, 16:54
Fi the course involves going on road, Andrew would not be able to take you without a suitable licence for the class of bike you are riding.

Ender EnZed
15th June 2011, 17:25
Fi the course involves going on road, Andrew would not be able to take you without a suitable licence for the class of bike you are riding.

Really? Why not?

Milts
15th June 2011, 17:35
I'm pretty keen for this, but what does the course actually entail? I've done a defensive driving course and I'm hoping that this is a little different?

Quasi
15th June 2011, 18:57

when i did their last one, there was no licence check prior to the course, we went on road (riding legally the entire way) to a closed road area. Licence conditions didnt apply once we got there. These courses are highly recommended and if you listen, practise and learn, your defensive riding skills will be much enhanced. Its a win/win situation

Paul in NZ
15th June 2011, 21:14
I've registered for the august one - wonder what they will think of me turning up on a 41 year old bike? :killingme

theseekerfinds
30th June 2011, 15:50
I'm doing the August one also, looking forward to it..:rockon:

akkadian
3rd July 2011, 20:10

That's me out too then!! :facepalm:

BuckBuck#1
12th July 2011, 13:14
I just received an email from Lower Hutt City Council - Road Safety Co-ordinator inviting me to comment.

Here is my Kiwibiker Blog entry:
Motorcycle Rider Improvement Course Review (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/2103-On-The-Road-Again-Motorcycle-Training-Course-and-Review)

I recommend this course to all motorcyclists as a review and refresher.

And, I hope initiatives are put in place this coming summer daylight saving time to have programs such as this available during the weekend and at times in the evening in the middle of the week for practical riding skills awareness and development.

Dukest4s
13th July 2011, 12:14
I was told about this course and went along thinking it was just $20 (subsidised by the ACC biker tax) and I might learn one or two things. I've been riding 34 years and I picked up heaps. Well worth it. I'd even do the same course again...

theseekerfinds
15th August 2011, 18:11
completed the course yesterday and it was a blast.. I had a great time realising that even with well over 20 years riding under my belt I still have lots to learn about riding.. and I rediscovered just how great it is to hang out with riders who also realise the value of training and are humble enough to accept the advice of someone who clearly knows what they are on about..
we did the classroom thing for the first few hours and it was amazing just how much knowledge riders have and how willing they are to share it with others.. Andrew and Jason were fantastic and their style of teaching and training is so conducive to learning that you can't help but improve..
despite the threat of crappy weather the arvo practical was a treat and the lesson loaded with great tips.. we got to watch each other improve with every pass of the emergency braking procedures.. you really can see why bikes have a front and a rear brake..:yes:
there was a great cross section of bikes at the session from an old 50's Trumpy through to a late model Aprillia and a collection of Hondas who were ridden by the nicest people you could meet.. heh heh heh.. even a Harley.. and you know what? they were all the same when it came to slowing quicker when both brakes are used to their full potential..
the countersteering discussions and classroom banter about cornering have encouraged me to enrol in the next road riding class they are holding and I can't wait, I hope some of my classmates will be there to join in too..
:clap::clap::clap:cheers to the folks who set the course up and especially to Andrew and Jason for a great day of learning.. a big thanks to Jan from the Hutt City Council too for her assistance in getting us all together.. great to meet everyone yesterday too and I hope we meet up again :rockon:

Viking01
15th August 2011, 19:49
Heartily endorse earlier comments. Was good to get out with like minded people and go through a refresher session again. Have not had to do much hard braking on the new tyres, but at least I now know what they are capable of in the damp. Cheers

davebullet
18th August 2011, 22:14
Well well well..

2 finger braking better than 4? - na. I'm converted back to a 4 finger man after some more emergency braking.

Handle a front wheel lockup? - yeah - no worries now!

Handle 2 km in the snow on the way home and watch a 4wd lose it and a nose to tail, but keep meself upright - bring it on!

Excellent to mingle with other riders, get expert advice from Andrew and Jason and practice (Esp. in the wet) emergency braking, slow speed manoeuvring and slalom work. PS: I found a new level of love for Brembo brakes!

Thanks to Jan of the Hutt City Council for organising this. Subsidised down to only $20 of training for the day, well. you can't say no to that!

Paul in NZ
19th August 2011, 07:48
It was definately the BEST $20 I've ever spent on motorcycling...

Trip home it terrible weather and I was smoother and better on the bike than I have been in yonks... I suddenly reaslised halfway home that I must have learnt something... (That was unexpected)

There are more courses coming up - you would have to be thick not to take one...

SenseiEpu
22nd August 2011, 11:40
Learning essential riding skills like slow cornering, counter-steering and emergency stopping all for the subsidised price of $20? Worth every penny. Thank you Jan Simmons from Hutt City Council for organising this.

I intend to enrol for a further advanced course to up the ante. It was awesome to be there with like minded people wanting to learn as much as they can to improve their bike riding skills.

MenaBassily
22nd August 2011, 22:05
Woo, I have done the 21st August (yesterday) course, it was great, I was enjoying hearing my stand scratching the ground leaning my bike almost to a 30 degrees, boy oh boy.

I signed up for the next level already, $20 is affordable and pretty good actually, but don't tell them that coz they will probably double it up lol :laugh: yeah just be cool :Police: act natural :)

Even though I didn't have all my gear on as it was a hot day, I felt confident to push myself to the limit and ride the hell outta my beloved bike.

Andrew and the crew are pros, they probably got enough of praising and thanks, even saying how professional they are sounds like such a cliche.

Well, my advise... guys, sign up for the next one and ride safe.

Mena

BikeBum
24th April 2012, 10:23
Went to the course yesterday, 23/04/2012.
Really can't add a lot more to what has been said, except to quote General McArthur - "I will return".
Subsidised down to $20 it's a no brainer.

XP@
25th April 2012, 19:19
Was on the course, for $20 it was brilliant!

Think of it an investment in the handling of not just your bike but any bike forever!
You can spend thousands upgrading your suspension, your engine or tires, but this $20 upgrades you!

Look our for the next one and do it!

RuoskaNZ
31st July 2012, 16:17
Other than on these forums where do you find out about all these events?