PDA

View Full Version : Speed Triple Quick Spin

Big Dave
15th June 2011, 14:00
As posted in the tech section - You Tube are letting you do more with the video player now. Kiwirider bit on the S3:

http://www.kiwirider.co.nz/s3/index.html

As soon a YT updates the title page it will match the other pics too.

Quasievil
15th June 2011, 14:30
How did you find it from a long distance point of view, a naked tourer ?
a reasonable pillion bike ?

Big Dave
15th June 2011, 14:42

Not viable for a pillion with me on it. Have friends who do and she rates it.

With a bit more leg room I'd ride it to Burt - but that's about my knees more than the bike. Apart from that I'd happily do a long tour on it, but not 2-up. I personally prefer nekkid bikes - even for touring.

Quasievil
15th June 2011, 14:44
Not viable for a pillion with me on it. Have friends who do and she rates it.

With a bit more leg room I'd ride it to Burt - but that's about my knees more than the bike. Apart from that I'd happily do a long tour on it, but not 2-up.

youre quite tall tho , so possibly a short 6 footer might cope.

I do prefer the last model headlights tho ;-)

Big Dave
15th June 2011, 14:45
Pal Dave P is 6'3" and tours on one lots.

Maha
15th June 2011, 14:49
The blue lights on top of the Tacho casing come on @ 4000rpm....for what reason?

EJK
15th June 2011, 14:52
Perfect camera mount there.

You must got the best job in the world, you get to ride all the latest bikes!

nodrog
15th June 2011, 15:00
The blue lights on top of the Tacho casing come on @ 4000rpm....for what reason?

its part of the shift light set up, they can be changed

Maha
15th June 2011, 15:02
its part of the shift light set up, they can be changed

Damn!...I thought Triumph had introduced some sort of 'You Have Won A Prize' light alarm.

nodrog
15th June 2011, 15:16
Damn!...I thought Triumph had introduced some sort of 'You Have Won A Prize' light alarm.

they have had it for ages. i think on Tina's one it goes, green, orange, red, then the con rod falls off.

Big Dave
15th June 2011, 15:20
they have had it for ages. i think on Tina's one it goes, green, orange, red, then the con rod falls off.

The black light.

Ronin
15th June 2011, 15:21

They have. If you get the tacho to 6k with the front wheel on the ground you get to keep your licence.

nodrog
15th June 2011, 15:26
The black light.

Disco is dead.

Big Dave
15th June 2011, 15:28
What about the 'What's on' board at the RSA? - been a while since I've been to one.

Blackbird
15th June 2011, 15:37
I personally prefer nekkid bikes - even for touring.

Swapping from the Blackbird to the Street Triple, I did worry a bit about the lower levels of protection on tour but it's not really an issue - I love naked bikes now.

pritch
15th June 2011, 15:47

Me too. But then I would :apint:

Stirts
15th June 2011, 17:18
Cool video of tastiness that was!!!

I love the sound of the mods Triumph have done. The re-designed chassis, lighter frame and wheels, and of course moving the rider forward - making for a rather awesomer and tastier ride than earlier models I am sure. :drool: *sigh*

But I think that they have really "softened" the meanessness in regards to the look (not referring to lights so much either - although I reckon they are fugly). But in saying that I certainly wouldn't pass up the chance to take one for a ride.

John_H
15th June 2011, 17:53

I take my wife on the back of my 07 quite often. While she is fine for 1-2 hours the position is quite cramped, with the pillion pegs being very high and I would imagine the new one is similar, so I wouldn't recommend it as a 2up tourer but OK for medium length weekend 2up rides.

HenryDorsetCase
15th June 2011, 17:58
I wasnt going to watch all of that but did. the 820mm i.e. lower seat height appeals to me. (being 3 ft 6)

AMPS were pinging them off for $19.5k brand spankers I saw.

I love that orange colour.

and really dislike the lights.

Mokadah
17th June 2011, 16:55
Want. Except by the time I got it looking right it would be more like $25k :(

Maha
17th June 2011, 17:01
I take my wife on the back of my 07 quite often. While she is fine for 1-2 hours the position is quite cramped, with the pillion pegs being very high and I would imagine the new one is similar, so I wouldn't recommend it as a 2up tourer but OK for medium length weekend 2up rides.

Pre 05's were fine for a two-up ride but the new gen triples are very much for the one and only...I would so love a speed triple, would even be very happy with an 03-04.

TOTO
17th June 2011, 22:26
Saw Big Dave's vid the other day so today I rocked up to AMPS and had nice chat to the the guy in charge of the Harleys (as the triumph guy was out) and he recommended to take it for a spin and make up my own mind. He had limited riding experience on it. No worries, I'll test it for you :yes:

If I have to describe the Speedy with one word, it will be "smooth". If I have to use two, i'd use "smooth grunt".

The first impression when I sat on it was the comfy seat and the sporty position handlebars. The leg room was less than what I had expecting and was surprised to feel slightly crammed at first and I'm about 178 cm, but within 5 minutes I realised it actually fit me quite well. The fact is that the pegs are a bit on the high side to provide for good ground clearance at a high lean angles. For a comparison, the Honda CBR1000RR 2010 is even more crammed, so the Speedy is actually quite good. Took it through traffic and it behaved till I got to the traffic lights. On green lights you take of smoothly and calm, but should you have a twitch in the wrist, the front wheels starts coming up. I was in no way going to be doing 12 o'clock monos on a bike that I have 2.5k excess on in the middle of Newmarket, but it nice to know that it still has the hooligan heart should you occasionally feel that you need an adrenaline injection on your way to work. :psst:

First thing was first and getting to some proper twisties was the priority - AMPS only allow 30 minute test rides. Thats fine if you are buying a cruiser and you want to see how well it cruises on the motorway but for a super naked thats designed with the tight twisties and the track in mind , AMPS is not situated in the perfect testing location. To get to a nice twisty road, had to get on the motorway for a few minutes. Found that staying on the legal side of the speed limit was not hard, but overtaking power was right there when desirable - 100 - 120 (130) km/h did not take long. Something else I found was that 6th gear was really most suited for cruising at 120km/h and up. It almost looked a bit pointless, but sprockets are easily changed to get to the desired gearing and it will also help you get bigger adrenaline shots as mentioned above - "kill two stones with one bird" ®

Handling in the twisties was exceptional. The superb sports tyres had got some heat into them and the thing felt nice leaning into he corner. The suspension is primo, absorbing the road bumps very well. The bike sat planted and happy even in the tight bumpy corners. The machine was quite happy being ridden as both a naked - sitting on the seat, using the bars to steer it etc, and also as a sports - should you decide to lean off the bike is works equally as good. The seat is sculpted nicely to accommodate for both types of riding. I found the handle bars to be a little bit on the narrower side, and would provide better leverage in the super tight stuff if they were with 30mm wider each side. That being said I have wide bars on my bike which have gotten me used to superb counter steering so my judgment might be a little bit altered on this.

The Brembo brakes are superb. From 60 to 0 felt like suddenly the tyres and the tarmac were the two sides of a Velcro and the thing just stops. Rear brake was very well set and in the use in traffic was fantastic to allow the tight maneuvering of the beast in the Friday congestion.

The sitting position gives the sensation that you are sitting ON the bike rather than In the bike. There isn't that cockpit feel where you are surrounded by heaps of gadgets and bling bling plastics. Gives the sensation of raw flying as there is nothing in front of you. Amslost like Kate Winslet when sitting on the front of the Titanic but 30 times closer to the surface of the earth, and 30 times faster :ride:

Styling wise Triumph have hit the jackpot. From every angle the machine screams muscle and finesse - two things that don't always come together. This bike is both the beauty and the beast.

At $21,380 it is not the cheapest bike on the market, but then again you pay for quality. :niceone:

EJK
17th June 2011, 22:31
Saw Big Dave's vid the other day so today I rocked up to AMPS and had nice chat to the the guy in charge of the Harleys...

*snip*

...At $21,380 it is not the cheapest bike on the market, but then again you pay for quality. :niceone:

Wow, is that you Todd? You sound like one of a MCN test rider.

TOTO
17th June 2011, 22:40
I'm still waiting for the call EJ

Big Dave
17th June 2011, 23:51
Very nice work.

Scouse
18th June 2011, 08:12
Saw Big Dave's vid the other day so today I rocked up to AMPS and had nice chat to the the guy in charge of the Harleys (as the triumph guy was out) and he recommended to take it for a spin and make up my own mind. He had limited riding experience on it. No worries, I'll test it for you :yes:

If I have to describe the Speedy with one word, it will be "smooth". If I have to use two, i'd use "smooth grunt".

The first impression when I sat on it was the comfy seat and the sporty position handlebars. The leg room was less than what I had expecting and was surprised to feel slightly crammed at first and I'm about 178 cm, but within 5 minutes I realised it actually fit me quite well. The fact is that the pegs are a bit on the high side to provide for good ground clearance at a high lean angles. For a comparison, the Honda CBR1000RR 2010 is even more crammed, so the Speedy is actually quite good. Took it through traffic and it behaved till I got to the traffic lights. On green lights you take of smoothly and calm, but should you have a twitch in the wrist, the front wheels starts coming up. I was in no way going to be doing 12 o'clock monos on a bike that I have 2.5k excess on in the middle of Newmarket, but it nice to know that it still has the hooligan heart should you occasionally feel that you need an adrenaline injection on your way to work. :psst:

First thing was first and getting to some proper twisties was the priority - AMPS only allow 30 minute test rides. Thats fine if you are buying a cruiser and you want to see how well it cruises on the motorway but for a super naked thats designed with the tight twisties and the track in mind , AMPS is not situated in the perfect testing location. To get to a nice twisty road, had to get on the motorway for a few minutes. Found that staying on the legal side of the speed limit was not hard, but overtaking power was right there when desirable - 100 - 120 (130) km/h did not take long. Something else I found was that 6th gear was really most suited for cruising at 120km/h and up. It almost looked a bit pointless, but sprockets are easily changed to get to the desired gearing and it will also help you get bigger adrenaline shots as mentioned above - "kill two stones with one bird" ®

Handling in the twisties was exceptional. The superb sports tyres had got some heat into them and the thing felt nice leaning into he corner. The suspension is primo, absorbing the road bumps very well. The bike sat planted and happy even in the tight bumpy corners. The machine was quite happy being ridden as both a naked - sitting on the seat, using the bars to steer it etc, and also as a sports - should you decide to lean off the bike is works equally as good. The seat is sculpted nicely to accommodate for both types of riding. I found the handle bars to be a little bit on the narrower side, and would provide better leverage in the super tight stuff if they were with 30mm wider each side. That being said I have wide bars on my bike which have gotten me used to superb counter steering so my judgment might be a little bit altered on this.

The Brembo brakes are superb. From 60 to 0 felt like suddenly the tyres and the tarmac were the two sides of a Velcro and the thing just stops. Rear brake was very well set and in the use in traffic was fantastic to allow the tight maneuvering of the beast in the Friday congestion.

The sitting position gives the sensation that you are sitting ON the bike rather than In the bike. There isn't that cockpit feel where you are surrounded by heaps of gadgets and bling bling plastics. Gives the sensation of raw flying as there is nothing in front of you. Amslost like Kate Winslet when sitting on the front of the Titanic but 30 times closer to the surface of the earth, and 30 times faster :ride:

Styling wise Triumph have hit the jackpot. From every angle the machine screams muscle and finesse - two things that don't always come together. This bike is both the beauty and the beast.

At $21,380 it is not the cheapest bike on the market, but then again you pay for quality. :niceone:Some of us have already known this for a long long time

Big Dave
18th June 2011, 08:13
In fact, I know everything.

Scouse
18th June 2011, 08:20
In fact, I know everything.Its funny Noobs jumping on a S3 and thinking that they have just discoverd the holy grail

Owl
18th June 2011, 08:35

I understand that, but they are crap. Although there are issues with the new headlight's cracking, they work a shitload better than previous models.

EJK
18th June 2011, 09:02
Whoah, someone's hatin' it.

Come on, give him a break. What's he got against you?

AllanB
18th June 2011, 13:29
I did not like the new headlights in photos. Now I have seen them in the flesh they suit the new look of the bike.

It is interesting that Triumph still have very specific running in instructions with their bike (setting rpm limits for kms).