PDA

View Full Version : Laptop warranty stuff?

lb99
16th June 2011, 20:13
I dropped my laptop back to the retailer because it stopped charging the battery, (it worked fine, just not talking to the battery) after a few weeks I chased it up and was given a tech report for a non responsive computer, apparantly needs a new lcd, touch pad and something else $699 quoted for repair-not covered by warrantee.

ok fair enough, but when I dropped it to the retailer it was fully functional except for the charging issue (which only occured after having the mainboard replaced under warrantee), but now it appears to have died (or been killed) while in their care, am I right to expect it to be returned to me in the same condition as when I dropped it to them, albeit not charging the battery?

coz there is something funny going on here

Scuba_Steve
16th June 2011, 20:16
am I right to expect it to be returned to me in the same condition as when I dropped it to them, albeit not charging?

yes at minimum they must return the device in the same cond in which it was received, any damage while in their care is at their expense

lb99
16th June 2011, 20:51
yeah, I am gonna see the boss there tomorrow and request my laptop be returned to me in the same condition as when I left it with them.

I suspect they are not going to be able to do this

Paul in NZ
17th June 2011, 08:04
There is usually an 'inspection fee' of some fixed amount... Oh - and have a polite but firm go at the retailer etc - on what grounds was the claim refused since they didnt fix the thing properly the 1st time? (you did report that at the time didnt you?)

Motig
17th June 2011, 08:16
First thing is it still under warranty? If so all the troubles should be fixed by them, no cost to you. I suspect tho that its maybe out of warranty. Did it go fine off mains power? If it did it certainly would appear they've stuffed it. Otherwise its not worth getting it fixed I'd say.

geoffc
18th June 2011, 21:43
Contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau & get a copy of the CGA - Consumers Guarantees Act. Could be well worth discussing your case with them or Community Law. So you know where you stand.

Gremlin
19th June 2011, 01:22
It also depends at what point it is in the warranty, nothing is mentioned about that?

Often batteries don't have the same warranty as the laptop itself, especially if it is a 3 year warranty.