PDA

View Full Version : NZ internet

Brian d marge
18th June 2011, 22:29
A world ranking of internet

Oh dear .......

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_bad_do_we_really_have_it_bandwidth_caps_around _world

Time to say ,,,,,,,,,,Tubby bye bye

Stephen

Scuba_Steve
18th June 2011, 22:43
we da dunce in interweb caps

rustyrobot
18th June 2011, 22:54
Urgh - embarrasing! I read an article the other day (on here?) quoting the guy who runs the cable company responsible for the data coming from overseas. He said there is plenty of spare bandwidth and it isn't particularly expensive, it's the ISPs lumping on fees, charges and mega-profit.

The thing that irks me most is - not only do we have some of the world's smallest & most expensive data caps, but if you happen to not use it all in a month you still get charged the same amount. That wouldn't fly in any other industry! I reckon I'm paying for that data upfront, if I don't use it, it should be kept in credit for the next month. Bastards!

Don't even get me started on Telecom :mad:

hayd3n
19th June 2011, 00:15
Urgh - embarrasing! I read an article the other day (on here?) quoting the guy who runs the cable company responsible for the data coming from overseas. He said there is plenty of spare bandwidth and it isn't particularly expensive, it's the ISPs lumping on fees, charges and mega-profit.

The thing that irks me most is - not only do we have some of the world's smallest & most expensive data caps, but if you happen to not use it all in a month you still get charged the same amount. That wouldn't fly in any other industry! I reckon I'm paying for that data upfront, if I don't use it, it should be kept in credit for the next month. Bastards!

Don't even get me started on Telecom :mad:

slingshot has data banking :P so any unused data get added to next months :P

schrodingers cat
19th June 2011, 08:50
Bring back dial up. I miss the anticipation...

I was downloading a piece of electronic equipment the other day at a baud rate of 9600. Trying to extract 2.5mb was an exercise in endurance...

Scuba_Steve
19th June 2011, 09:03
I do find it funny tho, we have some of the fastest interwebs in the world but combined with our lowest data caps in the world & it becomes almost useless :(

Techno
26th July 2011, 16:03
slingshot has data banking :P so any unused data get added to next months :P

True..but only for purchased data blocks.

jazfender
26th July 2011, 19:38
Vodafone and Telecom just "doubled" their data caps and are patting themselves on the back as if they're the nicest companies in the world.

Fuck NZ telcos.

YellowDog
26th July 2011, 19:57
Oh :no:

Here’s hoping we never have to start considering Internet use in terms of “prices per gigabyte, per month.”

Brian d marge
26th July 2011, 20:02
Home and Htc desire smart phone all unlimited no caps

home advertised as 1000 Mbps ( yes I know ) actual 88.4Mpbs ( just checked)

Smart phone on a good day ..1 or 2 sometimes 3 Mbps , MOST of the time around 1 Mbps

and the thing is if you want Internet you HAVE TO USE them

Next to bankers come the revolution Internet workers ( esp the sales team) are up against the wall)

Stephen

jazfender
26th July 2011, 20:09
Oh :no:

Here’s hoping we never have to start considering Internet use in terms of “prices per gigabyte, per month.”

20c a gigabyte, that's 300GB a month for $60.00. Plus or minus as needed.

That would be reasonable to me. Currently paying $2.20 per GB, regardless of usage.