PDA

View Full Version : ZX636 a little ripper

MD
2nd July 2005, 20:38
Had the new ZX6 for 2 months now so time to share my thoughts on it. Especially after todays absolute blast. So first lets tick the 'must do' boxes.
1.Move forward when required. Yep, saw 270kph today. Ran alongside a 1000/4 and it's still in the hunt to 250
2.Turn. Yes, Tick. Scrapped the underside fairing. Pegs refuse to touch down. Need new boots soon
3. Slow when required. BIG TICK. The No. 1 reason I bought it. This bike rewrites the meaning of de-aceleration. This baby slam dunks you into corners like nothing else I've ridden. Shame it doesn't like to stoppie. The CBR1000 has the best brakes for this, total control at the lever but the ZX doesn't bite as suddenly as needed for stoppies and then it doesn't give you the lever feel/control to hold it up. One stoppie where the brakes decided to bite without sending me a memo first almost sent me over the front. Noted on report card, could try harder or will fail NCEA (Necessary Control at Extreme Angles).
4. Looks. Works for me
5. Comfort. What idiot is asking? You want a lounge chair go to a furniture store. If you must know it's fine.
Wheelies. My fav. past time. Even better than the Blade. Got some of my longer ones in today. 3rd gear can sit at 180kph for ages but what I like is being able to do slower ones, popping it up at 80, 90 or 100kpm and holding it there. Did a few stand up wheelies as well. This bike allows me to input a bit more steering on the back wheel. Sort of helps to stay on the road.
Now there's a higher screen out the only gripe can be fixed. Best of all it's green. My last 4 bikes have been red.
What appeals the most to me? The lightness to turn and brake I suppose since most of my riding is on twisty hills and I hope this bike wont want a new tyre every time I go around the block.

merv
2nd July 2005, 21:57
Have you got rid of the Triumph already then?

bugjuice
3rd July 2005, 00:18
you managed to scrape the farings on a turn? which bit of the faring...???
glad you love it tho, welcome to the club ;)

MD
3rd July 2005, 09:13
glad you love it tho, welcome to the club ;)
Merv- Triumph's gone for now. Couldn't use 2 bikes enough to justify it.
Bugjuice - Surprised me too. Ground the right side black lower piece under and behind your footpeg. As the panel runs back to the rear wheel it flares out a cm or so to curve out over the tyre. It was this 'lip' that got ground away. Didn't unsettle the bike a bit. It was a bend in a dip so the suspension was compressed but it still surprises me how much lean these can hold. Awesome stuff. Track day coming up will be interesting to see how it runs. I've had it on Taupo and that was great.

LB
3rd July 2005, 09:19
Saw you and Dion at the top of the hill yersterday, you pulled in when I was sitting on the fence, but you took off straight away down Featherston side. Guess you caught up to the cop in the HP car who was a few cars ahead of you?

MD
3rd July 2005, 09:25
Saw you and Dion at the top of the hill yersterday, you pulled in when I was sitting on the fence, but you took off straight away down Featherston side. Guess you caught up to the cop in the HP car who was a few cars ahead of you?
Didn't realise it was you Mrs B, would have said hello. Yeah, waste of time that ride down. Met some other at Martinborough (Deano and co.)

jimbo600
3rd July 2005, 17:46
Yeah damn nice bikes those 636s One of the best looking bikes you can buy these days. Go for a good price too. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it mate. Have to get together for a burlah sometime.

Two Smoker
3rd July 2005, 17:56
Yeah damn nice bikes those 636s One of the best looking bikes you can buy these days. Go for a good price too. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it mate. Have to get together for a burlah sometime.

wash your fucking mouth out ya ghey pommy git.... 2nd best to the gixxer...hehehe

Cant wait to have a go on a 636 or 6RR... looks like a fucking nice bike, and on the track they are flying!!!

justsomeguy
3rd July 2005, 18:01
wash your fucking mouth out ya ghey pommy git.... 2nd best to the gixxer...hehehe

Cant wait to have a go on a 636 or 6RR... looks like a fucking nice bike, and on the track they are flying!!!

We gotta get you on the track against Quasi or someone equally fast- or maybe just you and see your lap times.....

So we can find out how much of a difference those extra 36cc's make.

Two Smoker
3rd July 2005, 18:14
We gotta get you on the track against Quasi or someone equally fast- or maybe just you and see your lap times.....

So we can find out how much of a difference those extra 36cc's make.

Craig Sherriffs (GSX-R) and Nick Cole (ZX-6RR) look pretty even... But as the ZX-636... still waiting for one to beat my 400:wait: :whistle: :tugger:

justsomeguy
3rd July 2005, 18:31
But as the ZX-636... still waiting for one to beat my 400

That doesn't mean you have a faster bike - it just means you were a better rider on the day.

The only true test is if we could get either - you/MR/Frosty/WT/LB out on both bikes and compare your times.... same rider but on two bikes.

bugjuice
3rd July 2005, 18:38
Bugjuice - Surprised me too. Ground the right side black lower piece under and behind your footpeg. As the panel runs back to the rear wheel it flares out a cm or so to curve out over the tyre. It was this 'lip' that got ground away. Didn't unsettle the bike a bit. It was a bend in a dip so the suspension was compressed but it still surprises me how much lean these can hold. Awesome stuff. Track day coming up will be interesting to see how it runs. I've had it on Taupo and that was great.
ahhhhh.. gotcha ;)
Yeah, stick like glue (most of the time) don't they!! I know where you mean. I had spotted that before, but didn't really think much of it. Nice goin to scrape it up!! not something you always see ;)

JSG, the only way to test between bikes is not to get several riders at once, cos that's just not the way to do it. You have a range of bikes and one rider. If several riders, they compare their own times on the track between the bikes, not all at the same time, cos each rider can be better than others, on a lesser bike. Shame my brain has just stopped working..
Basically, have one rider compare bikes, have several riders compare their times, for interest only, really...

justsomeguy
3rd July 2005, 18:47
JSG, the only way to test between bikes is not to get several riders at once, cos that's just not the way to do it. You have a range of bikes and one rider. If several riders, they compare their own times on the track between the bikes, not all at the same time, cos each rider can be better than others, on a lesser bike. Shame my brain has just stopped working..
Basically, have one rider compare bikes, have several riders compare their times, for interest only, really...

Isn't that what I said Mr Orange Juice????:weird:

Read my post again - and you'll find the words "either" and ".... same rider but on two bikes.":yes:

bugjuice
3rd July 2005, 19:10
Isn't that what I said Mr Orange Juice????:weird:

Read my post again - and you'll find the words "either" and ".... same rider but on two bikes.":yes:
my brain has turned to that... stuff.. squishy stuff.. all... squishy.. mush thing.. dudrrrrrrrrr :weird:

Sensei
3rd July 2005, 19:15
Yea they sound like a hell of a bike for a 6undy if you into those type of bikes . They look the sharpest to . Good on ya MD . But the saying goes
"Theres no replacement for displacement "

marty
3rd July 2005, 19:30
;)

hopefully the bottom of it....

MD
3rd July 2005, 20:09
Have to get together for a burlah sometime.
Too right Jimbo, always more fun with someone to dice with. I was bloody impressed with that blast on your bike. Enough to start lookin into the six hundreds and now look what I've done. It'll be interesting to compare and swap bikes again. I'm still cheating on you though but only by 37cc now.

jimbo600
4th July 2005, 07:44
Take more than 37cc to better the gixxer power mate. Must be the go faster gsxr jacket I wear. Was it you I saw the other day heading north from Tawa? I tried to warn you about the HP guy waiting around the corner. But I might have just looked like I was having some wierd fit.

MD
4th July 2005, 07:56
Take more than 37cc to better the gixxer power mate. Must be the go faster gsxr jacket I wear. Was it you I saw the other day heading north from Tawa? I tried to warn you about the HP guy waiting around the corner. But I might have just looked like I was having some wierd fit.
Your helmet's a give a way. Spot you a mile away. Yeah that was me leaving Tawa, just back from the VRod blat. Saw you on the GSXR1000 as well a week or so ago. That pipe sounded mint. Jimmie said it was still standard!