PDA

View Full Version : Back Protectors - Alpinestars or Dainese?

Westy_mate
21st June 2011, 16:37
Hey guys, just need your opinion on a couple of back sliders,

There is this Dainese one here:

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/my...0Riding%20Gear

or this Alpinestars one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Are they suitable? will get me on the track with either one? which do you prefer?

Cheers Guys

Dane

Scuba_Steve
21st June 2011, 16:49
don't know about others but I get a "page not found" & a "This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available"

Westy_mate
21st June 2011, 17:01
don't know about others but I get a "page not found" & a "This listing () has been removed, or this item is not available"

Shit! auctions closed...

heres a link for the alpinestars back protector:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALPINESTARS-BLACK-RED-MED-MD-BIONIC-BACK-PROTECTOR-/150614065700?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item23114c4224

and one for the Dainese:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DAINESE-N-FRAME-BACK-PROTECTOR-size-2-SMALL-/140557042698?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item20b9da440a#ht_2126wt_908

Also, ignore the sizes, ill sort that out later

jaffaonajappa
21st June 2011, 17:05
both look 'fine' for use.
But are you looking for the safest one, best looing one? (lol), or the cheapest one.
Quasi has them Knox ones on his site...tell him to get another $1 auction going :P

Westy_mate
21st June 2011, 17:10
But are you looking for the safest one, best looing one? (lol), or the cheapest one.
Quasi has them Knox ones on his site...tell him to get another $1 auction going :P

safest of course, I trust both Brands, both pass the highest regulations so im not too worried there

cs363
21st June 2011, 17:12

Actually, it is down to which one looks the best in the buyers eyes as all of those (Alpinestars, Dainese & Knox) are Level 2 CE certified which is the highest impact level you can get. And all are very good, reputable brands.

Be wary buying these offshore as those prices aren't much cheaper than paying full retail in NZ (Alpinestars is less than $40 difference with shipping, if you do get hit with GST there's no saving at all - you'd probably be better off screwing the local dealer for a discount, and at least you can try it on and get the right size. I imagine the Dainese is a similar case)
Plus, if you do strike any issues, easier to get sorted locally.

I think the Alpinestars is less bulky than the Dainese, not sure about Knox as I haven't had a good look at one up close.

Just my two cents :D

Westy_mate
21st June 2011, 17:29
Actually, it is down to which one looks the best in the buyers eyes as all of those (Alpinestars, Dainese & Knox) are Level 2 CE certified which is the highest impact level you can get. And all are very good, reputable brands.

Be wary buying these offshore as those prices aren't much cheaper than paying full retail in NZ (Alpinestars is less than $40 difference with shipping, if you do get hit with GST there's no saving at all - you'd probably be better off screwing the local dealer for a discount, and at least you can try it on and get the right size. I imagine the Dainese is a similar case)
Plus, if you do strike any issues, easier to get sorted locally.

I think the Alpinestars is less bulky than the Dainese, not sure about Knox as I haven't had a good look at one up close.

Just my two cents :D

I would preferably buy from nz, but i cant any prices for either of those products near the amount of savings i could be having. hmmmm i dont know..

Scuba_Steve
21st June 2011, 18:14
if it's just out of those 2 I'd go for the Alpinestar... looks cooler :p

Westy_mate
21st June 2011, 18:20
if it's just out of those 2 I'd go for the Alpinestar... looks cooler :p

They seem to be the only two decently priced ones on ebay, also the most common. I prefer Alpinestars too, the main reason i ask all this is i plan to take on the track days and need a back protector that will pass the pre-race tests

imdying
21st June 2011, 18:57
I purchased a Bionic 2 vest/back protector on special here in Chch for $200 FWIW... about 3 months ago. I've been meaning to get one (a back protector) for a while, they just happened to have it on special in the window when I went to get an oil filter and I'm a whore for getting more from a shop than I planned to.

Gutted all of the armour out of one of my jackets and basically only use that now. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out of because the moulded arms in the jacket are quite tighht to it, but I figure that's probably not a bad thing as at least the armour won't move.

With chest/back/shoulder/elbow/kidney protection you get a bit of an indestructible feeling for the first few weeks, which is kind of neat. After that I started thinking "Hmmm... where can I get a matching bit for my hips and knees....".

If you can be bothered with the minor extra hassle, I'd recommend it... I would expect the chest vest bit to help keep the back protector where it works best, but that's only a guess.

Worth asking around town, A* stuff seems to be competitively priced. Presumably that means Blue Wing Honda have nothing to do with the importation of it into NZ.

Pussy
21st June 2011, 19:02
Only one choice... get the Alpinestars one. They are even VERY comfy to wear for road riding, and the local back-up, if purchased in NZ, is great.

Grant`
21st June 2011, 21:36
Only one choice... get the Alpinestars one. They are even VERY comfy to wear for road riding, and the local back-up, if purchased in NZ, is great.

This was a while back, but normally I would of just gone straight for the Alpinestars one thinking it would be the best. However after going into a shop and trialling a couple I walked out the door with another back protector that didn't have Alpinestars plastered all over it.

So I would at least recommending trying them before you just spend your hard earned cash.

steve_t
21st June 2011, 22:02
Knox Aegis for comfort and protection. If it's not comfortable, you won't wear it.

Forcefield Pro Sub 4 has a good rating but is really thick and not as much scapula coverage.

I think there was a thread not so long ago about these and some links to some video reviews. I think Sportbike Track Gear did a comparo

Chancebmx25
21st June 2011, 22:19
u dont need that shit man! lol just ride.... ur not racing everyday so algud

Westy_mate
22nd June 2011, 09:50
u dont need that shit man! lol just ride.... ur not racing everyday so algud

Chance... your a crack up. Mr jean shorts and sneakers doing wheelies lol

imdying
22nd June 2011, 10:00
Only one choice... get the Alpinestars one. They are even VERY comfy to wear for road riding, and the local back-up, if purchased in NZ, is great.What sort of back-up are you thinking of? I mean, it's cheap arse piece of plastic with some stitching... just how much value do you expect a local dealer network to add to something like that?

Pussy
22nd June 2011, 17:21
What sort of back-up are you thinking of? I mean, it's cheap arse piece of plastic with some stitching... just how much value do you expect a local dealer network to add to something like that?

Meaning... if it is found to be defective, say, Crown Kiwi will stand behind it.
As a matter if interest.. Alpinestars waterproof garments ARE waterproof. If they leak, Crown Kiwi will fix it. I have had a Spidi waterproof jacket in the past, it was allegedly waterproof.... provided it wasn't worn in the rain. Try making a warranty claim on a leaky Spidi garment in this country and see how you get on.

ClutchITUP
22nd June 2011, 19:17
not sure what Hamton downs is like, But I think trackdays an club racing dont care what protection you have on your back as long you have something
Obviously if you can afford it get The flash one if you cant get something cheaper an spend the rest on a couple more trackdays IMO

Urano
22nd June 2011, 20:41
I trust both Brands

are u a shareholder?
'cause "brands" are usually focused on making happy shareholders, customers are collateral...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride%20Magazine/Product%20test%20pdfs/6%20JUN08%20Back%20protector%20test.pdf

the article is getting old, actually, but i won't buy a dainese anyway, because of that and other stuff...
alpinestar is a level 2?
two years ago i bought a forcefield pro l2 and it was very comfy, now take a look around... :niceone:

on the other hand, having started to design a little road safety course by my self, i've learned a lot of interesting stuff on bps. the sum is: don't rely too much on that, and don't forget instead the rest...

imdying
23rd June 2011, 08:37
Meaning... if it is found to be defective, say, Crown Kiwi will stand behind it.My Australian guys sent me some more (4 pairs) toe sliders when I found they wore out too fast... I'd put money on the NZ guys telling me tough shit and that'd be my lot.

mazz1972
23rd June 2011, 10:44
I purchased a Bionic 2 vest/back protector on special here in Chch for $200 FWIW... about 3 months ago. I've been meaning to get one (a back protector) for a while, they just happened to have it on special in the window when I went to get an oil filter and I'm a whore for getting more from a shop than I planned to.

Gutted all of the armour out of one of my jackets and basically only use that now. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out of because the moulded arms in the jacket are quite tighht to it, but I figure that's probably not a bad thing as at least the armour won't move.

With chest/back/shoulder/elbow/kidney protection you get a bit of an indestructible feeling for the first few weeks, which is kind of neat. After that I started thinking "Hmmm... where can I get a matching bit for my hips and knees....".

If you can be bothered with the minor extra hassle, I'd recommend it... I would expect the chest vest bit to help keep the back protector where it works best, but that's only a guess.

Worth asking around town, A* stuff seems to be competitively priced. Presumably that means Blue Wing Honda have nothing to do with the importation of it into NZ.

Is it really comfy? I've been tossing up whether to buy one for hubby, primarily for his offroad riding, as I would like him to be wearing a back protector, and he seemed quite keen when we saw one at a bike expo. He's had a pretty big off from his quad bike and damaged a lot of lower back muscles, and his back isn't that great at the best of times due to injuries when he was younger.

You sure did get yours at a good price!

imdying
23rd June 2011, 11:02
It does not enhance your comfort, but it doesn't detract from it either, but I'm used to wearing 'big' armour in my jacket. As far as the back protector portion goes, I don't even notice it.

Chancebmx25
23rd June 2011, 22:09
Chance... your a crack up. Mr jean shorts and sneakers doing wheelies lol

yer bro thats how i roll.LOL nah one peice with race hump soon. thats balling!!
\

mazz1972
27th June 2011, 09:53
It does not enhance your comfort, but it doesn't detract from it either, but I'm used to wearing 'big' armour in my jacket. As far as the back protector portion goes, I don't even notice it.

Thanks for that. One more question, yours doesn't have zip off sleeves so that the elbow protection can be removed? I know the BNS version does but it's a lot of extra money just for wanting two zips in the sleeves!

imdying
27th June 2011, 10:41
Thanks for that. One more question, yours doesn't have zip off sleeves so that the elbow protection can be removed? I know the BNS version does but it's a lot of extra money just for wanting two zips in the sleeves!I don't know, but I can tell you that the chest piece with the sleeves unzips from the back protector. So yes, you can remove the sleeves, but the chest armour goes with it.

On that note, it's worth briefly checking the two haven't unzipped slightly from each other before putting it on. I've only noticed it once, but I imagine it would twist it slightly making it uncomfortable if you didn't spot it.

Quasievil
27th June 2011, 11:26
Thanks for that. One more question, yours doesn't have zip off sleeves so that the elbow protection can be removed? I know the BNS version does but it's a lot of extra money just for wanting two zips in the sleeves!

Have a look at these ones to Mazz

http://qmoto.co.nz/gear-shop/knox/upper-body?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=12

http://qmoto.co.nz/gear-shop/knox/upper-body?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=48&category_id=12

http://qmoto.co.nz/gear-shop/knox/upper-body?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=49&category_id=12

khabel
27th June 2011, 11:26
Which brands do a good vest without the arm and shoulder protection? I'm just wanting good back and chest/rib protection?

Quasievil
27th June 2011, 11:33
Which brands do a good vest without the arm and shoulder protection? I'm just wanting good back and chest/rib protection?

KNOX, get any back Protector in the range and get the chest protector insert, see here :yes:
http://qmoto.co.nz/gear-shop/knox/upper-body

khabel
27th June 2011, 11:57
I just emailed you quasi before I saw your post, are you able to get the knox gilet air?

Quasievil
27th June 2011, 12:08
I just emailed you quasi before I saw your post, are you able to get the knox gilet air?

yes its the gilet fast back now, I will email you

imdying
28th June 2011, 10:02
Hey Brett are they working on some sort of collar bone protection system yet?

Quasievil
28th June 2011, 10:39
Hey Brett are they working on some sort of collar bone protection system yet?

The Collar Bone is a Bitch to protect as its a compression / crushing type injury as opposed to say a elbow of knee shock transfer injury...............get what I mean?
so the Warrior and the cross shirts are about as good as it gets at this point.

imdying
28th June 2011, 10:55
Yeah I figure it can't be a cake walk given how common gear is and yet how common the injury is. Hope they come up something though :yes: