PDA

View Full Version : The 3 yr old boy and the motorbike.

slofox
23rd June 2011, 11:09
Managed a quick run over to Raglan and back this morning before the rain arrived.

Pulled into Blacksands for a coffee. Ran the bike back into the curb in my usual possie. Swing the leg off. Before I even get the helmet off I can hear this little voice shouting "Motorbike! Motorbike!"

I get the helmet off and there in the doorway of the cafe is this little tyke, eyes gleaming like radio valves, opening the door to greet me with the biggest grin you've ever seen, gabbling away flat out. As I come in he points at the bike - "Bike! Bike!"

I stopped for a wee chat, then went to order the coffee. Sit down at a table. He comes over and jabbers away in three-year-old-ese for a bit, then goes back to the door and gazes out. His mum eventually comes over, picks him up and goes out to see the bike. I went along and pointed out all the bits, told him what was what, pointed out the gloves, helmet, leathers etc. I thought he was gunna burst there for a bit...:woohoo:

His mum told me he is motorbike crazy, has just turned three - had a pretty extensive vocab for a three year old boy. He told me he "wants one just like that!"

Future KB'er maybe...

Made my morning really...:sunny:

oneofsix
23rd June 2011, 11:11
an enjoyable coffee break. Was mum easy on the eye? IYKWIM

slofox
23rd June 2011, 11:14
an enjoyable coffee break. Was mum easy on the eye? IYKWIM

She was definitely on the right side of "tepid" shall we say...:whistle:

Maha
23rd June 2011, 11:14
I was shouting the same thing the morning we were siting there and you stopped in...:lol:

Well, in fact, I said to Anne (as we were finishing breakfast) we should take the piss out of his Quasi jacket....then it dawned on me who you probably were because of your bike...1+1= slofox...:2thumbsup

Maha
23rd June 2011, 11:15
BTW....was it a short black?

slofox
23rd June 2011, 11:17
BTW....was it a short black?

It was a long black - but they give you the shot plus water on the side. So I convert it into a "mid" black.

I dunno what sort of coffee they use, but I always get home about five minutes quicker than I get over there...

gale_wolf
23rd June 2011, 12:03
Future KB'er maybe...

:niceone:
I had a similar thing last night, stopped for petrol, and a boy probably also about 3 was staring wide-eyed at the bike from across the forecourt, so I gave him a wave. His mum actually apologised to me for his staring to which I said, "no problem, he's welcome to take a look." So she brought him over and I showed him all the bits.

I went in and paid for the fuel then came back out to find the boy telling an older woman (I'm guessing his grandmother) all about the bike! They stepped back and I gave it a rev which increased the size of boy's already huge grin.

Another future KB'er maybe.

neels
23rd June 2011, 12:14
Happens quite a lot, get kids waving and pointing at the bike, always adds to their amusement to give the duc a bit of a rev for them.

'tis funny when I'm 2 up with mrs and you see a whole family in a car. You get the kids waving, the mum indulging their children but looking slightly disapproving, and dad gazing longingly from the drivers seat of his people mover.

ukusa
23rd June 2011, 12:22
I usually get it from the opposite end of the age spectrum. Pull the Trumpy into a service station for a fill and old guys that appear to be in their 70s or 80s usually have a good look around it and start a conversation, usually along the line of "I used to have one in the 50s or 60s etc etc". Some are even surprised that Triumph still make new bikes (and that they don't leak anymore).
It's makes for a good day when someone compliments you on your bike. Always good to have a natter.

White trash
23rd June 2011, 12:58
What the fuck is a radio valve?

insomnia01
23rd June 2011, 12:59
[QUOTE=slofox;1130092710]Managed a quick run over to Raglan QUOTE]

you know, there's more to the Waikato than the road to Raglan :sleep::zzzz::zzzz: you should beable to ride there & Back blindfolded by now !!! :corn::wait::whistle:

Edbear
23rd June 2011, 13:05
What the fuck is a radio valve?

ROFL!!!! :lol:

nadroj
23rd June 2011, 13:05
I sat 4 young brothers on my bike one day for a pic- now their father has a CB1300! He got the OK from the matriach after the kids pressure...

javawocky
23rd June 2011, 13:06
My favorite trick, normally with friends kids, is to let them push the start button when I leave - so thrilling for them.

yod
23rd June 2011, 14:40
When my daughter started talking it was a boogabike, now she's 2 it's a muddabike :lol:

tracyprier
23rd June 2011, 14:54
I usually get it from the opposite end of the age spectrum. Pull the Trumpy into a service station for a fill and old guys that appear to be in their 70s or 80s usually have a good look around it and start a conversation, usually along the line of "I used to have one in the 50s or 60s etc etc". Some are even surprised that Triumph still make new bikes (and that they don't leak anymore).
It's makes for a good day when someone compliments you on your bike. Always good to have a natter.

I used to get the same with the Enfield Bullet I imported from the factory before there was a pukka importer here. Stopped in Clevedon one day and this old guy comes over and just would NOT believe it was a new bike. He was adamant I must have rebuilt it.

Geeen
23rd June 2011, 19:26
When my daughter started talking it was a boogabike, now she's 2 it's a muddabike :lol:

Just wait till she gets to four and asks "is that a motorbike or a Harley??" just like my son does :2thumbsup

Old Steve
23rd June 2011, 19:45
I went to the Tauranga Ulyssees club rally at Waihi Beach. We took a ride up through Whangamata, Hikuai, Kopu, Paeroa, Karangahake, Old Tauranga Road back to Waihi Beach.

We'd just pulled up, I was just taking my helmet off, and a car pulled up near the gate to the camp and a woman came down and introduced herself. She said she had her 35 year old disabled son home for the weekend, they'd seen the bikes ride through town, and he was mad about motorbikes. So I said, bring him down.

I sat him on the bike and showed him the controls, got him to hold the clutch lever in and started it and let him sit on it for a couple of minutes with the engine burbling away. He was thrilled, she might only be a 250 learner bike but he was thrilled, and I've got to admit that I felt good too. Got lots of waves as they drove off, fantastic feeling to have made someone's day.

FJRider
23rd June 2011, 20:57

suzuki ... right ... ???

munster
23rd June 2011, 21:12
My favorite trick, normally with friends kids, is to let them push the start button when I leave - so thrilling for them.

The neighbours kid calls me Poppa Aaron (I'm 42 for fucks sake), he came over and I let him 'toot' the horn. The stebel nautilus upgrade was definitely worth it.

He's been back every Saturday since.

yod
23rd June 2011, 21:32
Just wait till she gets to four and asks "is that a motorbike or a Harley??" just like my son does :2thumbsup

we were on the way home one day in teh car and she spotted a harley across the intersection;
"Papa! Boogabike Papa! Just like Papa!"

"Err.....we'll discuss this when you're older..."

suzuki ... right ... ???

No. Threw the Suzuki away. Went back to Honda.

Geeen
23rd June 2011, 21:35
we were on the way home one day in teh car and she spotted a harley across the intersection;
"Papa! Boogabike Papa! Just like Papa!"

"Err.....we'll discuss this when you're older..."

:lol: Ya gotsta learn 'em when they're still young

Big Dave
23rd June 2011, 21:36
I had a mini-bike at 3.

nadroj
23rd June 2011, 21:56
I had a mini-bike at 3.

Did your feet touch the ground?

Big Dave
23rd June 2011, 22:49
Did your feet touch the ground?

My mum tells me most of the story. My Grandfather was the senior engineer at the Steel works. He had the apprentices make a 2-stroke minibike for a project. Apparently I wore out the grass in the backyard on it and only stopped when it ran out of fuel.

I only really remember riding it vaguely. Burning myself on the exhaust and that the frame was rusty are quite vivid still.

wanpo
27th June 2011, 09:52
Pulled into Blacksands for a coffee. Ran the bike back into the curb in my usual possie. Swing the leg off. Before I even get the helmet off I can hear this little voice shouting "Motorbike! Motorbike!"

:niceone:
I had a similar thing last night, stopped for petrol, and a boy probably also about 3 was staring wide-eyed at the bike from across the forecourt, so I gave him a wave. His mum actually apologised to me for his staring to which I said, "no problem, he's welcome to take a look." So she brought him over and I showed him all the bits.

I went in and paid for the fuel then came back out to find the boy telling an older woman (I'm guessing his grandmother) all about the bike! They stepped back and I gave it a rev which increased the size of boy's already huge grin.

Another future KB'er maybe.

Getting the kids into Gixxers? Uhoh, going to be a whole new generation of squids

gale_wolf
27th June 2011, 10:10
Getting the kids into Gixxers? Uhoh, going to be a whole new generation of squids
Well I was wearing full ATGATT and departed the scene at a rather sedate and very much legal speed. Don't want to set a bad example for the young'uns. Besides which, you know I ride like a nana, it may have a reputation for being a squid bike but its rider is the anti-squid.

martybabe
27th June 2011, 11:04
Managed a quick run over to Raglan and back this morning before the rain arrived.

I get the helmet off and there in the doorway of the cafe is this little tyke, eyes gleaming like radio valves, opening the door to greet me with the biggest grin you've ever seen, gabbling away flat out. As I come in he points at the bike - "Bike! Bike!"

I stopped for a wee chat, then went to order the coffee. Sit down at a table. He comes over and jabbers away in three-year-old-ese for a bit, then goes back to the door and gazes out. His mum eventually comes over, picks him up and goes out to see the bike. I went along and pointed out all the bits, told him what was what, pointed out the gloves, helmet, leathers etc. I thought he was gunna burst there for a bit...:woohoo:

His mum told me he is motorbike crazy, has just turned three - had a pretty extensive vocab for a three year old boy. He told me he "wants one just like that!"

Future KB'er maybe...

To be honest I get just as excited as that 3 year old every time I see a bike, I just have to act all grown up and unimpressed.

Worst but sadly true story: I bought a Gold wing once on impulse, I only went in the shop for a pair of winter gloves :facepalm: Anyway somewhere in Wales I found a toddler searching all around the bike, I warned him about the hot exhaust and asked why he was scrabbling around on the floor. To my utter dismay he said :your car has only got 2 wheels, have you had a puncture? :girlfight: Little bastid !

They would have been mightily disappointed with my last Harley then, sounded great but only started when it felt like it, pressing the starter button just made it more obstinate. fecking mule of a thing.

wysper
27th June 2011, 12:13

That is a great idea, I will have to remember that one!

Worst but sadly true story: I bought a Gold wing once on impulse, I only went in the shop for a pair of winter gloves :facepalm: Anyway somewhere in Wales I found a toddler searching all around the bike, I warned him about the hot exhaust and asked why he was scrabbling around on the floor. To my utter dismay he said :your car has only got 2 wheels, have you had a puncture? :girlfight: Little bastid !

O man that is funny - coffee all over screen and keyboard funny!!

wingnutt
27th June 2011, 14:54
yeh, its great when folks stop to chat aye, I get it a lot with the wing, I was at the end of group run, by a park, and mum (Ithink) and 4 kids stopped to have a look, they where just walking away and I asked them if they would like to have a sit on the seat.

I almost got killed in the rush!! lol

Indiana_Jones
27th June 2011, 14:58

Makes two of us, I got asked if I did the restoration myself on my bike lol. His face was pretty crack up when I told him it was a month old lol

-Indy

taff1954
27th June 2011, 21:34
And another budding KB'er.

My grandson, all of 3 years of age, and 'mo-bike' mad.

MIXONE
27th June 2011, 21:50
I've been cursed by many of my family for introducing there young 'uns to bikes.

Indiana_Jones
28th June 2011, 12:18

Wicked :sunny:

-Indy

release_the_bees
29th June 2011, 19:28
My three year old nephew in action. It's amazing how quick they pick these things up.

baptist
29th June 2011, 23:37
:o:o:weep: When you ride an S40... no one wants to talk to you...:weep::weep: Might have to buy a Honda, at least then the guys from Village People might wave and say hi :whistle:

thecharmed01
5th July 2011, 22:29

nawwwww my lil man started out with "mamabike" when he was about 18 months old.
I think it was a combination of Mummy and Motorbike, cause Mummy rides a motorbike.

He is also a bit of a bike addict, and will happily ride around on the back of the bike now, he can't wait to get his own (he's almost 3) but I learnt a really awful lesson about bikes and strangers....
It was something I had a bit of a DUH moment about but maybe something to watch for if you see kids about the place.

My son was about 12 months old and not talking yet, we stopped at a cafe South of Shannon (has a mini farm thingy there) and were walking towards the cafe when a rather large (and utterly gorgeously shiny, all chrome!) Triumph pulled up, rider hopped off and walked inside.

My son was so excited and wanted to go and look so we did, but because I was ogling the bike myself, I didn't realise the little monkey was going to look with his hands, and put them onto some VERY hot metal.
Thankfully not actually exhaust, but chrome, and hot enough that poor little man was very upset for a few hours afterwards. Partly because it was hot, and partly he was devastated that the motorbike (favourite thing) hurt him.
He ended up with a couple of blisters on his fingers - thankfully nothing worse, but it really hit home how quickly kids will put hands out to touch things and a motorbike that's been ridden can have a multitude of hot spots. Even parts you don't really expect to be hot.
Where my son put his hands, was on some chrome around the footpegs.
So not exhaust, but hot enough to burn, whether it was heat transfer from the engine, or the sun, or what... I'm still not sure. Not fun anyway for any of us.

I'm just glad it didn't put him off for long :woohoo:

Mully
5th July 2011, 22:37
Mate of mine's eldest (who's just turned 4) is mental about bikes.

He went spastic when I gave him my old helmet when I upgraded. Wore it all the time. Had to go to bed with him. Had to go in the car with him. Had to go to daycare with him.

Best present ever.

Brett
6th July 2011, 14:45

Future KB'er maybe...

Awesome...you have to love the simplicity of kids sometimes :)

blackdog
6th July 2011, 15:26
Mate of mine's eldest (who's just turned 4) is mental about bikes.

He went spastic when I gave him my old helmet when I upgraded. Wore it all the time. Had to go to bed with him. Had to go in the car with him. Had to go to daycare with him.

Best present ever.

Great idea. I'm cleaning out some old lids and we've got a Kindy next door. The little buggers are always hangin' over the fence to see what's making the noise.

Mully
6th July 2011, 20:10
Great idea. I'm cleaning out some old lids and we've got a Kindy next door. The little buggers are always hangin' over the fence to see what's making the noise.

Great way to get rid of unsafe lids and makes the tykes happy too. Fully recommend it.

steelphoenix
7th July 2011, 14:56

I am assured that I called them 'mo-bike's when I was that age. I think most of us did...

Good on you! :D My dad used to have an old helmet, and when I was (I think) about four, I saw a race on TV - I have a very vivid memory of racing around the lawn on my pushbike, with the (very much too big) helmet and my red puffa jacket (because the rider who won was in red).

I live on the same road as a school; several times I parked up outside (because our driveway is horrible to get down) and came back to kids looking at my bike. I loved seeing their smiles when I let them have a look - and when I started her up!

nzspokes
7th July 2011, 15:42
My little man. He could sit there all day.

imdying
7th July 2011, 15:49
Bloody 'ell, at this rate you guys should be organising a mini moto event for kids under ten!

matdaymon
7th July 2011, 16:01
This thread made me all warm inside :sunny:

Haven't had the same pleasure as Slofox yet, but love cruising home from uni at the same time school finishes and sitting in traffic opposite kids in cars. They oggle you until you disappear some of them and love it when you give them a good rev :yes:

sadly my nephew doesn't have the same reaction... lucky little mite got a mini quad for his 3rd birthday and goes riding on the beach with his little mate regularly. Have decided my sister is far to nice haha

Mully
7th July 2011, 20:11
Bloody 'ell, at this rate you guys should be organising a mini moto event for kids under ten!

Frosty's done that a few times.

Maki
8th July 2011, 08:09
In reply to the original post I would like to point out that some have the view that we have a particularly good remembrance of previous lives from age 3 to 5 and then it all fades away. I would not be surprised if this 3 year old was an avid biker in a previous incarnation. He is remembering all the thrills and pleasure he experienced. Good on you, slofox for being kind enough to take the time to chat and show him your gear and bike.