PDA

View Full Version : Wr250r replaced by xt660r

bigreddog
25th June 2011, 18:08
Finally decided to replace the beloved WR with an XT660r.....1st ride today 250 odd k's gravel and bit of dirt around footthills and Te Moana gorge.....most impressed actually found it easier to ride than the WR....weave sets in above 120kmh so this will require investigation.....overall though I think I have done the right thing.:drool:241395241396241397

thepom
25th June 2011, 18:20
Good choice of bike..........:lol:

Gravel Man
25th June 2011, 19:38
Good to see my old bike has got a new home & getting used for what it was intended.
I bought the XT to replace my DR650 which is now TA's & only sold it to buy my 990. Good to see it still has all the goodies still on it, as i spent quite a bit setting it up.

Cheer GM.

bigreddog
25th June 2011, 22:12
Good to see my old bike has got a new home & getting used for what it was intended.
I bought the XT to replace my DR650 which is now TA's & only sold it to buy my 990. Good to see it still has all the goodies still on it, as i spent quite a bit setting it up.

Cheer GM.

Cheers GM...bike is great and well set up for sure ...thanks.
Front end wallows a tad at speed...any info?

mazz1972
27th June 2011, 10:15
Very nice bike, I kept oggling at it on trademe wishing it was close enough to go have a look at. Enjoy!

Does it have a power commander?

bigreddog
24th July 2011, 17:07
Very nice bike, I kept oggling at it on trademe wishing it was close enough to go have a look at. Enjoy!

Does it have a power commander?

No power commander but would probably be a good idea.
Going to put it on the dyno at Honda country and see what its doing first.

Frodo
25th July 2011, 13:12
The Power Commander is more about improving the lousy fuelling and therefore rideability than power. I have one in my Aprilia (similar motor) made a world of difference.

About the front end wallowing. I don't know much about the suspension on these bikes, but the tank decal says XTX, which have a 17 inch front rim, but it looks like its been converted to something larger, presumably 21. If so, the XTX has slightly shorter travel at 200mm cf the XTR's 225mm. This may affect the steering geometry. Not sure how you would fix this easily. You could also add more preload to the front suspension by making a longer spacer.

gser
25th July 2011, 16:33
The XT660 looks awesome in Orange. Nice ride. I was considering getting a WR250R, what did you think of it?

bigreddog
28th July 2011, 18:42
The XT660 looks awesome in Orange. Nice ride. I was considering getting a WR250R, what did you think of it?

WR250R is a great bike just lacks a bit of power,mind you is only a 250.
Handling is excellent, useability is a bit compromised by the small tank,mine had an aftermarket 13.5 l tank standard they are only 7 or 7.5l.

There are a number of mods that really need to be done to fully adventurise it.

bigreddog
28th July 2011, 18:48
The Power Commander is more about improving the lousy fuelling and therefore rideability than power. I have one in my Aprilia (similar motor) made a world of difference.

About the front end wallowing. I don't know much about the suspension on these bikes, but the tank decal says XTX, which have a 17 inch front rim, but it looks like its been converted to something larger, presumably 21. If so, the XTX has slightly shorter travel at 200mm cf the XTR's 225mm. This may affect the steering geometry. Not sure how you would fix this easily. You could also add more preload to the front suspension by making a longer spacer.

You're right this bike was an XTX,converted by Yamaha in 06 for the safari.
Previous owners have told me bike always handled fine previously.

By process of elimination I am tending to think the front tyre might be the issue.
Is currently a Michelin T63,half worn.

Night Falcon
28th July 2011, 18:58
orange bikes are the fastest...nice bike :corn:

HANGMAN
28th July 2011, 19:21
orange bikes are the fastest...nice bike :corn:

na mines silver and its gone past yours on few occasions.:gob::scooter::whistle:

Eddieb
28th July 2011, 19:26
That is a seriously nice bike.

mazz1972
28th July 2011, 23:36

Hubby had the X motard model (no power commander) and I enjoyed riding it except I hated like the way the throttle surged at pootling around town speed, drove me nuts.

I know that aside from the changes you can make via the speedo with the special key, there are plenty of other mods that can be made to the bike, but I just want something I can get on and ride without having to dick about trying settings, adding bits/making mods.

Otherwise I've have an R model in a heartbeat.

bigreddog
29th July 2011, 21:31
Hubby had the X motard model (no power commander) and I enjoyed riding it except I hated like the way the throttle surged at pootling around town speed, drove me nuts.

I know that aside from the changes you can make via the speedo with the special key, there are plenty of other mods that can be made to the bike, but I just want something I can get on and ride without having to dick about trying settings, adding bits/making mods.

Otherwise I've have an R model in a heartbeat.

You're right there...I rode an xt660x motard that did that...gave it back to the owner and thought,you can keep that mate.I do believe that most of the surging was cured by a factory recall...adjustment to throttle sensor i believe.
Mine does'nt do it its as goos as gold at 50kmh round town.

bigreddog
29th July 2011, 21:43
Swapped Michelin T63 to a Bridgestone Trailwing today and weaving is 80% better.Normally don't reccomend trailwings for anything other than road or light gravel work but they are a definate improvement over the T63 on the XT.

Rode the DB last year with T63's on my WR250R and found the rear OK,But would only rate the front as a 2/5 for that sort of use.Think i'm over T63's now.

Will probably put a more aggresive tyre on front at some stage,something better in gravel...Any recommendations?

Gravel Man
29th July 2011, 22:21
Alway found Pirelli MT21's good, used them on the 660 & had no issues. Got a T63 on my DR650, not to impressed so far.

Cheers GM

Box'a'bits
29th July 2011, 22:25
Alway found Pirelli MT21's good, used them on the 660 & had no issues. Got a T63 on my DR650, not to impressed so far.

Cheers GM
I've found the MT21 fronts good, in combo with T63 or Eo9 rears. :woohoo:

The T63 front always seemed a bit weedy to me.

NordieBoy
30th July 2011, 08:47
Will probably put a more aggresive tyre on front at some stage,something better in gravel...Any recommendations?

Shinko 705 front and rear.

Eddieb
30th July 2011, 08:50
-1 On the T63 front here also. not inspiring in gravel or off road.

Woodman
30th July 2011, 10:13
How old was your t63? cos every t63 rear I have fitted weaves around on tar for a hundy ks or so. Think jatz had the same issue.
T63 front is like the e09 front and don't really compliment the rears at all. T63 also are not good value pricewise anymore:crybaby:
I got a mt21 front at the moment and its good, not as good as a d606 but good albeit a bit noisy and with a tendency to lock up under hard braking.

Token on topic comment:

Like your xt.

Box'a'bits
30th July 2011, 10:41
I got a mt21 front at the moment and its good, not as good as a d606 but good albeit a bit noisy and with a tendency to lock up under hard braking.
But at $94 (MT21 front) against $179 (D606), is it half the value? Padmei reports the MT21 didn't last as long, but I'd raher have 2x fresh new tyres than one old one that just hung on & on. Agree re the comment on locking at HARD braking, but its controllable.

bigreddog
30th July 2011, 13:55
But at $94 (MT21 front) against $179 (D606), is it half the value? Padmei reports the MT21 didn't last as long, but I'd raher have 2x fresh new tyres than one old one that just hung on & on. Agree re the comment on locking at HARD braking, but its controllable.

great comments and advice from all...agree re t63 front definately a bit weedy...reckon i'll go with the mt21/t63 combo and she how she goes

NordieBoy
30th July 2011, 15:10
Padmei reports the MT21 didn't last as long, but I'd raher have 2x fresh new tyres than one old one that just hung on & on. Agree re the comment on locking at HARD braking, but its controllable.

But Padmei throws his tyres away when they've got plenty of tread left.
The MT21 isn't directional so you can reverse it once the backs of the knobs wear.

bigreddog
30th July 2011, 19:45
But Padmei throws his tyres away when they've got plenty of tread left.
The MT21 isn't directional so you can reverse it once the backs of the knobs wear.

bloody good point that...sometimes with semi/knobbly directionals you feel as if you are throwing away a half worn tyre..can get expensive.

Liking the sound of the mt21 more and more...

NordieBoy
30th July 2011, 19:51
bloody good point that...sometimes with semi/knobbly directionals you feel as if you are throwing away a half worn tyre..can get expensive.

Liking the sound of the mt21 more and more...

I do like the MT21 front, E07 rear combo.