PDA

View Full Version : Degree of difficulty?

Maha
27th June 2011, 15:33
Rate this corner from 1-10 from a personal point of veiw.
1 being not at all and 10 being very difficult.

20kph Climbing left hand that almost returns back on itself.

I would rate it 8/10

nodrog
27th June 2011, 15:39
how much damage did you do?

Maha
27th June 2011, 15:42
how much damage did you do?

If that were the case I would rate it at 11/10...:shit:
You will know the corner anyway...just south of Langs on the coast road.

Katman
27th June 2011, 15:44
And you have the nerve to accuse me of starting some dumbarse threads.

:facepalm:

nodrog
27th June 2011, 15:46
If that were the case I would rate it at 11/10...:shit:
You will know the corner anyway...just south of Langs on the coast road.

oh, yep I know the one, I rate it 2/10. I think you will find your problem is you are going 40kph too slow :scooter:

Bikemad
27th June 2011, 15:50
what corner you talkin bout willis

Maha
27th June 2011, 16:01
what corner you talkin bout willis

The corner I am using as an example is between Mangawhai and Langs beach.
The question in post one is straight forward.

nodrog
27th June 2011, 16:03
The question in post one is straight forward.

no its not, its a left hand corner

Maha
27th June 2011, 16:12

........but right hand downhill arse corner if you are heading south.:blink:
There are a couple in that little group but one can be an arse.

MadDuck
27th June 2011, 16:16

Difficult rating is a personal thing. What I find difficult on the tractor others will find easy.

My understanding is that these types of corners should be ridden at three times the sign posted limit. I know this to be true as I have seen it on KB.

Grant`
27th June 2011, 16:24
Well I would say its an arse of a corner and for a learner rider would possibly be very intidimidating.

Going down there is one of the right hand corners that has a rut on that side of the road and its quite easy to get pushed over to the very edge of the road because of it.

Going up it not so bad as long as you make sure you have selected the right gear to have the power to get around it and continue going up.

Intimidation factor 8-9/10

Actual dificulty factor 5-6/10 (unless your not looking around the corner then i dare say you will end up in the ditch going up or down) finding a big arse logging truck coming up while your going down and its on the wrong side of the road coming around one of the corners 10/10 for both with a wet afteraffect.

SPman
27th June 2011, 16:39
I'm trying furiously to think of a truly difficult corner between Mangawhai and Langs.....there are a couple that you don't fuck with, but difficult..........:blink:

Maha
27th June 2011, 16:49
Difficult rating is a personal thing. What I find difficult on the tractor others will find easy.

My understanding is that these types of corners should be ridden at three times the sign posted limit. I know this to be true as I have seen it on KB.

Which is why I added...'Rate this corner from 1-10 from a personal point of veiw'.

Well I would say its an arse of a corner and for a learner rider would possibly be very intidimidating.

Going down there is one of the right hand corners that has a rut on that side of the road and its quite easy to get pushed over to the very edge of the road because of it.

Going up it not so bad as long as you make sure you have selected the right gear to have the power to get around it and continue going up.

Intimidation factor 8-9/10

Actual dificulty factor 5-6/10 (unless your not looking around the corner then i dare say you will end up in the ditch going up or down) finding a big arse logging truck coming up while your going down and its on the wrong side of the road coming around one of the corners 10/10 for both with a wet afteraffect.

......you forgot to add that its also rutted....:rockon:

SPman
27th June 2011, 17:11
I'm trying furiously to think of a truly difficult corner between Mangawhai and Langs.....there are a couple that you don't fuck with, but difficult..........:blink:

Maha
27th June 2011, 18:05

....or leave your bike in neutral on a slight downhill because that could make changing gears tough once you pick it up eh John?....those damn Mangawhai roads...:facepalm:

Grant`
27th June 2011, 18:55
......you forgot to add that its also rutted....:rockon:

Yeah that to!

jaffaonajappa
27th June 2011, 19:03
If ya know the corner, on your sports or sporty/tourer / streetfighter bike, roads dry, you 'remember' the coner (lol).....then meh - 5/10?

Your new to the area, while many corners recently were 40 to 60....you werent expecting this. And it was not signposted.....but your 'experienced' and on the right bike. 8/10 - 9/10. Assuming you stay in your lane throughout....

There was no warning whatsoever, its wet and dark, your on a harley (LOL!), then its about 15/10.

Mom
27th June 2011, 19:10

There was no warning whatsoever, its wet and dark, your on a harley (LOL!), then its about 15/10.

This particular corner has seen me absolutely horrified by an obvious learner, tip toeing around it, going down hill. I HATE to think of the ear bashing her other half will have got, for we passed him waiting for her a bit further down the road. Poor thing, was absolutely terrified. I almost stopped and offered to ride it down for her.

Grant`
27th June 2011, 19:27
First time we met you guys at Mangawhai was first time for Carmel going through there with her new bike and I was more stressed about her riding it than she was lol.

Swoop
27th June 2011, 20:45
Point #1: Piccies of said corner.

Point #2: A poll is required...

Big Dave
27th June 2011, 20:47
One wheel or two?

eliot-ness
27th June 2011, 20:50
I knew which corner you refered to the moment I read it. Normally I wouldn't rate it as difficult, but, A few years back I went round it and saw it in a completely different light. Riding up the hill, a day after a bad storm, there was a lot of mud from slips, so I was being extra careful. The corner in question looked clear so I turned in at my usual speed, second gear at about 20ks. Unfortunately half way into the corner, just before it tightens, the tar seal had cracked leaving a gap big enough for a wheel to drop into, and was slipping away down the ditch. All I could do was to open up the throttle and hope to get up back onto safe seal, which luckily I did, but then found myself entering the tighter part of the bend at about 30ks. I got round ok, but only by using up more than my fair share of luck in the process. So now, what I would call a reasonable easy bend has become one that I take extra carefully, and on that occasion I would have rated it 9/10.

jaffaonajappa
27th June 2011, 21:28
This:

One wheel or two?

Wins so far :)

Squiggles
27th June 2011, 23:14
Phone it in to the Northland City Council if it is a hazardous corner...

0800 002 004 (8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday)

nodrog
28th June 2011, 07:37
One wheel or two?

2 going in, 1 coming out

Big Dave
28th June 2011, 07:50
2 going in, 1 coming out

Aye - One of my favourite things about modern, torquey motorcycles.

Maha
28th June 2011, 14:47
2 going in, 1 coming out

Keep it clean there could be children watching..:corn:

jaffaonajappa
28th June 2011, 17:10
2 going in, 1 coming out

More inputs than outputs??......How the hell did the Labour party get involved in this?

PrincessBandit
28th June 2011, 17:37
2 going in, 1 coming out

on the front one for added bonus degree-of-difficulty points

p.dath
28th June 2011, 18:15
Rate this corner from 1-10 from a personal point of veiw.
1 being not at all and 10 being very difficult.

I would rate it 8/10

Sounds pretty difficult. Personally 9/10. Depends on weather it is positive or negative camber, weather the road engineering leads you to expect such a corner, or if it is more of a surprise, and weather there are any warning signs (either painted on a post, or natural).

Big Dave
28th June 2011, 19:29
on the front one for added bonus degree-of-difficulty points

Even some of the pro stunt men I know can't do a rolling stoppie. "They require 'the brain'" says Stretch.

Laava
28th June 2011, 20:49
Myself and Colonel and "extra luggage" went thru there on Sun in the pissing down. It has the potential to upset that is for sure. For me personally, on a wet day I give it 5/10. In terms of what to expect from general sealed roads in NZ, I give it 8/10.
The fact that it is subsiding is incidental IMO, but of course that makes it more dodgy.