PDA

View Full Version : Wellington motorway 7.30am ZX-9R vs blue Falcon

sturm
28th June 2011, 07:59
Was it you on a orange/green zx-9r with blue LED light in the tail going in to welly this morning? You were behind a blue falcon and when it finally let you past you gave the driver the 'im watching you f**cker' action, and the falcon driver swerved towards you as if to hit you...!

I passed him a few seconds later and he was smacking his steering wheel all pissed off lol

What happened?!

\m/
28th June 2011, 08:21
Not the first time I've heard of a dickhead in a blue falcon in Wellington.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/131322-Did-you-get-clipped-on-SH1-this-morning?p=1129915665#post1129915665

sturm
28th June 2011, 08:40
could be the same one, it was a light blue BA falcon! Sounds like a nutter

Crasherfromwayback
28th June 2011, 08:44
Get his reg number and post it up

White trash
28th June 2011, 09:02
He's had a go at our workshop manager Ben on one of the rare occasions Ben's ridden a bike home.

I don't see the dude anymore but by christ if he swings at me again it's boot in the door time.

jaffaonajappa
28th June 2011, 10:27
He's had a go at our workshop manager Ben on one of the rare occasions Ben's ridden a bike home.

I don't see the dude anymore but by christ if he swings at me again it's boot in the door time.

Or follow him and pull up at the lights. Helmet versus side windows....scary stuff.

Marknz
28th June 2011, 10:31
I hope said Falcon was not involved in this...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5200265/Multi-vehicle-crash-delays-traffic

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2011, 10:55
Ther are obviously alot of people that are upset by us on two wheels. A guy I work with has a vespa (yes I know..) he was riding home on Friday, through town when a car swerved and hit him (lightly) twice. He then somehow got in front of my workmate on the road and jammed on his brakes ensuring that the scooter went right into the back of him.

Idiot didn't realise that there were several witnesses to his behaviour and they are willing to testify.

yod
28th June 2011, 11:32
He then somehow got in front of my workmate on the road and jammed on his brakes ensuring that the scooter went right into the back of him.

It would seem the scoot was following too close then

nudemetalz
28th June 2011, 11:52
Last week saw the dude I talk to at the Mercer St bike park with his smashed up CBR900RR on the motorway overpass. Was sitting getting attended so may not have been too serious. Then the next morning was a smashed up SV-650 and a few cars on the Kelburn offramp. Ambulance there but didn't see the rider. Hope he's okay.

imdying
28th June 2011, 14:13
It would seem the scoot was following too close thenBeing swerved in front of and the brakes being jammed on is the exception to that rule.

oneofsix
28th June 2011, 14:17
Being swerved in front of and the brakes being jammed on is the exception to that rule.

True but as yod said "it would seem ..." It is always assumed the rear most vehicle was the cause unless proved otherwise, at least initially. This is where the witnesses play such a big part and they can also tell about the preceding actions. The story if just told by the scooter :scooter: rider would sound like a lame attempt to dodge blame.

imdying
28th June 2011, 14:19
True but as yod said "it would seem ..."It would seem as if yod is wrong...

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2011, 14:42
Being swerved in front of and the brakes being jammed on is the exception to that rule.

Exactly - and lucky for him someone recorded the whole episode from just after the guy swerved and hit him the first time. I have seen the footage and it makes me sick!

ktm
28th June 2011, 16:00
So post the footage then

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2011, 16:25
So post the footage then

It's not mine and I don't have it. On a side note, do you have your number plates bend inwards on each side and get off on the Petone exit, or at least did last Friday arvo approx 4.30?

ktm
28th June 2011, 17:19
No. Why do you ask?

ktm
28th June 2011, 17:22
And on re-reading this thread, if a blue Falcon squashed Ben, I wouldn't be crying about it.....

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2011, 17:23
No. Why do you ask?

The guy (same bike as your profile one) was riding like a muppet and just about got himself killed and will do if he keeps riding that way. Would've PMed you if it was you, not posted a reply on here!

Unfortunately it's idiots like them that give us a bad name and cause some people to react.... Not that I am justifying the behaviour of the driver in this case!

ktm
28th June 2011, 17:27
I keep my spirited riding for the track. Look at my pic. Cheers.

GrayWolf
28th June 2011, 18:34
The guy (same bike as your profile one) was riding like a muppet and just about got himself killed and will do if he keeps riding that way. Would've PMed you if it was you, not posted a reply on here!

Unfortunately it's idiots like them that give us a bad name and cause some people to react.... Not that I am justifying the behaviour of the driver in this case!

That sadly IS one factor that is constantly overlooked. Yes I have had, and do get idiot drivers on the Hutt motorway. On the other hand, I have almost been wiped out at times by other motorcyclists, how??? I have gone to legitimately change lanes in heavy traffic at 60-70kph, and almost been rear ened by an IDIOT lane splitting at those traffic flow speeds,,, so doing what? 80-90+kph?? That has occoured on several occasions.... also been followed while lane splitting and obviously not going FAST enough for some?? Verbal/horn hurry ups do NOT make me go quicker. I watch bikes tailgating cars to make them get out of the way in the fast lane and even in the rain FFS!..... so yes there are tossers in things like Blue Falcons,,,, but equaly, there are fucknuts on bikes too.

BIG DOUG
28th June 2011, 19:15
Saw the bike a black honda cbr600? hope the rider is okay

MIXONE
28th June 2011, 19:24
That sadly IS one factor that is constantly overlooked. Yes I have had, and do get idiot drivers on the Hutt motorway. On the other hand, I have almost been wiped out at times by other motorcyclists, how??? I have gone to legitimately change lanes in heavy traffic at 60-70kph, and almost been rear ened by an IDIOT lane splitting at those traffic flow speeds,,, so doing what? 80-90+kph?? That has occoured on several occasions.... also been followed while lane splitting and obviously not going FAST enough for some?? Verbal/horn hurry ups do NOT make me go quicker. I watch bikes tailgating cars to make them get out of the way in the fast lane and even in the rain FFS!..... so yes there are tossers in things like Blue Falcons,,,, but equaly, there are fucknuts on bikes too.

If someone is lanesplitting faster than you get out of his/her way.I do on a regular basis.

Grasshopperus
29th June 2011, 10:34
I have gone to legitimately change lanes in heavy traffic at 60-70kph, and almost been rear ened by an IDIOT lane splitting at those traffic flow speeds,,,

So you don't pay attention to see if someone else was lanesplitting before changing lanes? As someone who admits to lanesplitting I would've thought you would at least pay others the same courtesy that you must appreciate yourself.

imdying
29th June 2011, 11:28
I have gone to legitimately change lanes in heavy traffic at 60-70kph, and almost been rear ened by an IDIOT lane splitting at those traffic flow speedsTry checking behind you before you change lanes.

ducatilover
29th June 2011, 11:48
Try checking behind you before you change lanes.

That's the stupidest idea I have ever heard.

:innocent:

imdying
29th June 2011, 11:52
I know right....

Parlane
29th June 2011, 11:55
Checking behind you? That takes at least a second. I bought a bike to go faster, if I wanted to check behind me I would drive!

Paul in NZ
29th June 2011, 12:12

Thats easy to say but try it on the wellington motorway. In general you can see 5 to 8 cars back one GOOD day. Often its much much less. Some lane splitters will be passing at least a car a second so by the time you check for a gap, check behind, indicate, check again and move they are on you.... Lane splitting is OK but not when you are running 60 to 70 kph faster than the traffic...

One of the best laws I've seen re this is in some US states where you can lane split only IF the traffic is doing (say) less than 80kph and at no more than 20kph faster than the traffic is moving. Seems fair...

imdying
29th June 2011, 12:16
Fair enough, I don't split moving traffic, I like having my shit do what it does now.

pzkpfw
29th June 2011, 12:41
Thats easy to say but try it on the wellington motorway. In general you can see 5 to 8 cars back one GOOD day. Often its much much less. Some lane splitters will be passing at least a car a second so by the time you check for a gap, check behind, indicate, check again and move they are on you.... Lane splitting is OK but not when you are running 60 to 70 kph faster than the traffic...

That's why, when splitting, I give way to cars indicating. The assumption is they won't see me, so just "pause" and let them go.

Fair enough, I don't split moving traffic, I like having my shit do what it does now.

I don't mind splitting between moving cars, because I assume they've seen each other and don't want to bang into themselves. It's where you pass a car on one side and a gap on the other that's dodgy - that's when I slow down, and watch the drivers head to see what they might be up to. (Hopefully not about to do a quick lane change without indicating...)

imdying
29th June 2011, 12:51
I don't mind splitting between moving cars, because I assume they've seen each other and don't want to bang into themselves. It's where you pass a car on one side and a gap on the other that's dodgy - that's when I slow down, and watch the drivers head to see what they might be up to. (Hopefully not about to do a quick lane change without indicating...)Fair enough, gotta have a balance between getting places in a timely manner and actually getting places at all :)

MrKiwi
29th June 2011, 18:41

That depends if the car overtook the scoot and then immediately cut in front. I was once in a slow car (Bettle) and the car behind me was getting frustrated. He overtook me and then cut in front of me and jammed on his brakes. I had no time to adjust my following distance. Fortunately for me a man in blue was coming the other way :yes:. Sad for the other car driver.

thepom
29th June 2011, 18:55
imdying is right......in the uk its called a lifesaver.........you check before changing lanes,coming from a 70 to a 50 you check your mirrors as my examiner told me to make sure nobody is running into the back of you.....etc etc......I,m not being biased but the standard of riding/driving in the uk is higher than here due to training required to pass the driving test..........now bring on the abuse....:bye:

swbarnett
29th June 2011, 20:22
Not if the car swerved in front and the scooter did not have a reasonable time to pull back.

GrayWolf
29th June 2011, 22:11
If someone is lanesplitting faster than you get out of his/her way.I do on a regular basis.

So you don't pay attention to see if someone else was lanesplitting before changing lanes? As someone who admits to lanesplitting I would've thought you would at least pay others the same courtesy that you must appreciate yourself.

One of the advantages of the written word is (should be) before sending we can remove stupidity... however the above remarks???
Simply put, if a following motorcycle is DIRECTLY behind, not only are they in the mirrors blind spot, even if performing a 'life saver' unless equipt with a 180 degree neck, (or reevu helmet) they are OUT OF SIGHT!!!!! so the onus is also on them to not be a dick brain and THINK for themselves, not rely on others doing it for them!!
As for 'moving over'??? lane splitting is NOT technicaly legal, and if I am too slow for you? tough titties, I am overtaking/undertaking the lanes I am splitting... the onus is on YOU to wait till I can move aside into a reasonable gap. I WILL NOT place myself at risk, just because numbnuts wishes to play russian roulette at higher speeds than I am willing to play it.

Yes I look behind me, and I use the technique to either side (left or right rear observation, depending on the situation) If I am passing cars at 50kph and you come up behind me at 70-80kph?? how can I SEE YOU?? you are directly behind me, have the courtesy you are accusing me of not having. All statements like that indicate is, to quote the UK Police motorcyclist who Tutored my advanced riding course... "Only those with no imagination, or are just plain stupid; cannot 'see' the possible consequences of any action they take on the road" So if you are following me at higher speed when lane splitting, do you expect me to just pull over the instant you arrive? Can you not 'see' I would have to find a suitable safe gap to pull into? Do you EXPECT me to carve up the car to my left/right, so YOU can barrel on down the road?? What concequence can you IMAGINE for me if I do that and the car reacts aggressively???
I have survived 36 years as a Motorcyclist, including 17 years living and riding in London.... so I must be doing SOMETHING correctly, ay?

One of the best laws I've seen re this is in some US states where you can lane split only IF the traffic is doing (say) less than 80kph and at no more than 20kph faster than the traffic is moving. Seems fair...

Well said Paul, thank you for being a 'thinker'......

pzkpfw
29th June 2011, 22:24
... lane splitting is NOT technicaly legal ...

Yes it is.

(Unless you mean "not" to the "technical" bit. In which case, if you meant, "lane splitting is legal", then you'd be right.)

MIXONE
29th June 2011, 22:29
I think you are assuming a little too much there graywolf.I try to stay aware of everything around me,spatial awareness,and when I see bikes catching me uo I wait for the next gap between cars and let them pass.I get a wave of thanks everytime whereas the wave you get with your attitude would be of the one finger variety.
:finger:

MIXONE
29th June 2011, 22:48
. Lane splitting is OK but not when you are running 60 to 70 kph faster than the traffic...

I ride the Welly motorway everyday but have yet to see these badass bikers splitting at those sort of speeds.

Swoop
30th June 2011, 09:12
...the standard of riding/driving in the uk is higher than here due to training required to pass the driving test...
I've been saying that for years. The test here is shit and nobody has to be properly trained. Just "pass the test" and you are on the road and in the case of a car licence you can drive a car with ANY amount of power (Veyron on a learners = legal here).

Not that any political party will listen to this, but just keep telling us that "speed kills" and not shit driving skills.

Grasshopperus
30th June 2011, 13:01
One of the advantages of the written word is (should be) before sending we can remove stupidity...

Well said Paul, thank you for being a 'thinker'......

Oh right, the ol' "Anyone who agrees with me is a 'thinker' and anyone who calls me out on being a dickhead is stupid".

Ghan'get'fucked.

Deano
30th June 2011, 15:23
The guy (same bike as your profile one) was riding like a muppet

I'm pretty sure that bike was a KTM 660 or 690 thingie.

And on re-reading this thread, if a blue Falcon squashed Ben, I wouldn't be crying about it.....

Pardon ? Are you taking the piss here ?

swbarnett
30th June 2011, 17:45
Simply put, if a following motorcycle is DIRECTLY behind, not only are they in the mirrors blind spot, even if performing a 'life saver' unless equipt with a 180 degree neck, (or reevu helmet) they are OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!
Yes and no. Your ZZR may not have the best mirrors (as sports bikes are known for) All the bikes I've owned have had at most a rear blind spot of one to two bike lengths. My current bike has the best mirrors I've ever had, if I move my arm slightly I can see underneath my top box.

scumdog
30th June 2011, 17:50
That's why, when splitting, I give way to cars indicating. The assumption is they won't see me, so just "pause" and let them go.

I don't mind splitting between moving cars, because I assume they've seen each other and don't want to bang into themselves...)

THAT kind of 'thinking' can get you killed...:yes:

Usarka
30th June 2011, 20:37

DAMHIK (since been repaired) but that is a very good reason for not crashing.

pzkpfw
30th June 2011, 22:20
I don't mind splitting between moving cars, because I assume they've seen each other and don't want to bang into themselves...)

THAT kind of 'thinking' can get you killed...:yes:

Meh.

I don't see it as any different than assuming the cars coming the other way on a two-way road will stay in their lane and not veer across into yours suddenly. Yes, we always have to stay alert for the unexpected... but some things are just less likely than others.

I split on the Motorway. Sure, one day I might just get squished between two cars because one decides to change lanes into the car next door. (Or maybe the gap just closes a bit too much). It's a risk I judge to be within reason. So do plenty of other motorcyclists - including the ones complaining about how other motorcyclists do their splitting.

GrayWolf
1st July 2011, 23:05
Yes it is.

(Unless you mean "not" to the "technical" bit. In which case, if you meant, "lane splitting is legal", then you'd be right.)

legal? untill you have an accident, you are then 'seen' as not being in a recognised, correctly marked lane. Your lane splitting WILL be used as a 'technicality of culpability' towards any accident you have in a lane splitting situation.

I think you are assuming a little too much there graywolf.I try to stay aware of everything around me,spatial awareness,and when I see bikes catching me uo I wait for the next gap between cars and let them pass.I get a wave of thanks everytime whereas the wave you get with your attitude would be of the one finger variety.
:finger:

Just as you have made a similar assumption on my first posting, and if I take a few seconds longer than you to find what I consider a reasonable gap, and you wish to give me the 'salute'.... later or another day when/if you are sitting by the roadside with dented bike and pride? then Please accept a one hand clap in return

Oh right, the ol' "Anyone who agrees with me is a 'thinker' and anyone who calls me out on being a dickhead is stupid".
Ghan'get'fucked.

LIkewise mate, actualy I have no issue if you disagree with me, but your post was not even a well though out one,,, you didnt think the situation through. You spouted off without working out what I ws actualy saying.....

GrayWolf
1st July 2011, 23:18
Meh.
I split on the Motorway. Sure, one day I might just get squished between two cars because one decides to change lanes into the car next door. (Or maybe the gap just closes a bit too much). It's a risk I judge to be within reason. So do plenty of other motorcyclists - including the ones complaining about how other motorcyclists do their splitting.

Maybe those DOING the 'complaining', have in the past either seen someone wiped out/hurt. They may have been hurt, or. had one or two near misses. They may be trying to impart a little knowledge?? Yes I have seen a friend wipe himself out right in front of me, in the UK when a teenager, no, he wasn't lane splitting. One thing I have pointed out before is this, UK Police do not 'condone' lane splitting, but do not reccomend splitting above 50kph (your speed) any higher? if a car decides to change lanes/swerve in front of you? His speed of lane change will be so fast, you WILL NOT have time to react ...... nor will your brakes have any great effect on speed reduction at those close distances

GrayWolf
1st July 2011, 23:41
Yes and no. Your ZZR may not have the best mirrors (as sports bikes are known for) All the bikes I've owned have had at most a rear blind spot of one to two bike lengths. My current bike has the best mirrors I've ever had, if I move my arm slightly I can see underneath my top box.

Yes I would agree with that remark, sadly neither were the mirrors on my FJ1200 any better. Using this 'arguement' most 'sport' oriented bikes or bikes like the ZZR (sport/tourer) on the road have somewhat ineffective mirrors for view directly behind. So I feel my statement holds true, that few riders can 'see' directly behind them.

Furyos J
10th July 2011, 17:24
I remember a thread on here a month back or so about a blue falcon harrasing wellington bikers. I think the guy is still around, this arvo heading from lower hutt towards town i was sitting behind a car in the fast lane doin 105 or so, i pulled into inside lane and passed, nice and easy, plenty of indicators and room avalible, check my mirrors 5-10 secs after and this blue falcon is ON my back wheel, so i pull into inside lane to let him pass, and he swerves in behind me, racing up and then jaming brakes on, i exited at the porrirua interchange and he followed still very close, i lost him at the lights and went home. Just wondering if the falcon thats been harrasing others is a light blue, around 2000ish? I didnt notice anything more about the car, as i didnt think much of it at the time, but remembered reading the a thread about that later at home

cheers
J

mashman
10th July 2011, 19:55
Riding into Welly is pretty feckin interesting, specially with them cats eyes, and foreheads :blink:, seperating the lanes. My mirrors are shit :yes:, I still use 'em, but i'll life-saver before I move. There's no point in going anywhere unless you're pretty sure that the way is clear. So I'll always look over my shoulder before I go (no blind spot). It has stopped me from ploughing into a quicker splitter before :yes:.

Get the reg to the cops. I don't fancy meeting the guy if he's ruinning late (although I ride in somewhat later :shifty:)

mashman
10th July 2011, 20:10
If they really wanted to "avoid" some of these issues. They would allow the service lanes to be used by motorcyclists (50kmh tops) during peak hours.

imdying
11th July 2011, 12:30
Who knows where this Falcon parks during the day?

nodrog
11th July 2011, 12:36
Sorry, I thought you guys would be keen for a race.

Crasherfromwayback
11th July 2011, 12:36
Better still...give me a rego number and I'll tell you all where he parks it at night!