PDA

View Full Version : This bloody L-plate!!! First ride...

WildBoarMouse
3rd July 2005, 22:07
Okay... Now I'd heard some people bitch about this plate before but today I had my first experience with the whole thing...

A workmate and I drove up to Whangarei to pick up a nice shiney 2004 GSX250, 5200km, $3600... sweeeet :yes: For a first bike, this is a pretty good deal as far as I'm concerned. :p

Anyway, we got back (he rode it back), I stuck the L-plate on and got out clocking up a few K's... 20 minutes later after riding round the block I had the hang of the bike (mostly) and got went out for a longer ride. Not two minutes later I had dickhead #1 overtake me on the inside 50m past the end of a two lane merge into one... If I was in my car that sure as hell wouldn't have happened... I'd been riding 2/3rd across from the left (as it was about a 1.5 car wide lane - west coast road) at about 55kmh. Plenty fast enough... Maybe it was the bike? Maybe it was the L-plate... Anyway...

Twenty minutes later... dickhead #2 tail gates me by hanging around about 2m away... once again, doing 55kmh, in the right hand tyre track... I figured this just had to be a fluke... I put up with that for about a minute before pulling down side road (I wasn't going anywhere in particular anyway).

On my way back from my little excursion... yet again doing 55ish in the right hand track (no cars in front) dickhead #3 comes right up along side my back end on the left hand side and sits there before pulling back a bit... I moved a little more to the centre of the lane (slowly) only to have them overtake me at around 70ish and blow the horn at me. :mad: Bargh! What did I do? No indicator left on... certainly not going too slowly... And then they just pulled into some shops 500m in front.

Is this just something to do with being on a bike in general, or is it an L-plate thing, or is it just because I live in Auckland? I've been driving for nine years now and don't see this many dumb-ass things take place in two weeks, let alone one hour... I say two weeks because this is Auckland... These are those once-a-month kinda things anywhere else in the country. :rolleyes:

Other things I had fun with (on a little back road) was trying to hill-start. That's a hell of a lot more difficult than in a car :) I suspect I just need to get all my limbs trained to doing different jobs.

Aside from that, two out of three riders (must have been 10 or so all up) acknowledged me in some way with a nod or slight wave... and of course you do much the same back... it was very interesting to see how other bikers treat you when you're on the back of one of these things! :) And, just as I was nearly home, a biker pulled out of a driveway ahead of me (heading toward me) and popped a wheelie as they rode past... made the end of my ride all that much more enjoyable. :clap: And just to top it all off... I got lost!!! That was fun! Haven't done that in years! Somewhere in Titirangi at the roundabout... rode around for 30 minutes and popped back out at the round about thinking I was up more towards henderson. Great fun... and bloody enjoyable.

So! The saga of the first ride... :p

[Edit] Just to be fair, I did stall it twice and drivers behind me were pretty patient for the extra few seconds it took me to get moving. Hopefully the friendly wave was enough for them to get the idea I was trying to thank them. :)

GROOMER
3rd July 2005, 22:11
It IS the plate. When I got my 2nd bike, I rode for a week with L plate on...tailgaters, overtaking etc. Took plate off, haven't had any probs.

HDTboy
3rd July 2005, 22:11
It's an L plate thing, I took mine off as soon as I felt comfortable on my bike and found people a lot more respectful.
You'll learn the hill starting thing, like you say it is just retraining

N4CR
3rd July 2005, 22:16
Hahaha... get used to the whole 'ass riding overtake in your lane' thing... some people are just bastards.

When you get used to the bike and its control features, weave around (like warming tyres etc) in the lane if they tailgate you badly (*AND are not overtaking you at the time for obvious reasons*). They think you are a psycho and they get scared - dropping back... works every time, even Pajeros :motu: .

One of my old mates called Simon (non kb'r) lives down Atkinson road and he has a gsxr across 250. I used to live down that road too!

Btw I will be riding scenic drv tomorrow around 12:00 with gareth_d... both our first time on bikes on that road so you are more than welcome to meet us by titirangi village shops. (Anyone else can come along if needed ;D).

WildBoarMouse
3rd July 2005, 22:21
It's an L plate thing, I took mine off as soon as I felt comfortable on my bike and found people a lot more respectful.
You'll learn the hill starting thing, like you say it is just retraining
No doubt :) I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing it right... putting it in first and holding it in place with the back brake until I got going seemed to work pretty well. Is there an easier way? I kept stalling it in the process of letting the clutch out in conjunction with more throtle and letting go of the brake. Kinda like a contortionist trying to squeeze into a little box. :ride:

WildBoarMouse
3rd July 2005, 22:22
Btw I will be riding scenic drv tomorrow around 12:00 with gareth_d... both our first time on bikes on that road so you are more than welcome to meet us by titirangi village shops. (Anyone else can come along if needed ;D).
That's a nice drive... Thanks for the offer. Almost tempted to take the day off work so I can ride the bike. ;)

HDTboy
3rd July 2005, 22:26
No doubt :) I'm still not 100% sure I'm doing it right... putting it in first and holding it in place with the back brake until I got going seemed to work pretty well. Is there an easier way? I kept stalling it in the process of letting the clutch out in conjunction with more throtle and letting go of the brake. Kinda like a contortionist trying to squeeze into a little box. :ride:
That's the way it's done, it's all about getting the timing right and you'll be able to do it as easily as in a manual car

SuperDave
3rd July 2005, 22:37
When you get used to the bike and its control features, weave around (like warming tyres etc) in the lane if they tailgate you badly (*AND are not overtaking you at the time for obvious reasons*). They think you are a psycho and they get scared - dropping back... works every time, even Pajeros :motu: .

That does the trick every time, those following closely shit themselves and reckon that you are about to fall off and drop right back. :D

SuperDave
3rd July 2005, 22:41

I've always managed to get it right with using the front brake alone. I just give throttle whilst still keeping two fingers on the brake lever and as I release the clutch I ease off the brake. I've used the rear brake for hill starts but I much prefer using the front brake alone as my right leg is the preferred human sidestand.

Ixion
3rd July 2005, 23:30
I've always managed to get it right with using the front brake alone. I just give throttle whilst still keeping two fingers on the brake lever and as I release the clutch I ease off the brake. I've used the rear brake for hill starts but I much prefer using the front brake alone as my right leg is the preferred human sidestand.

Rear brake for hill starts the Road Code says. But I use the front, cos the rear brake nowdays is on the wrong side!

justsomeguy
4th July 2005, 01:06

YOU BASTARD:mad: ........

You went for a ride down scenic drive without me???

I thought we were friends!!!!! :angry2:

Good thing - Erik and I went down there at 2:30....... to Helensville and back......

So how did you find my favourite road in the whole wide world???????? Please tell:yes:

By the way - any time you want to cruise Scenic Drive PLEASE give me a yell!!!

I can never get enough of it - it gets even better at night too..... guessing the road gets that much more fun - everythings pitch black as there are no streetlights and the trees shade the road from Moon or starlight:devil2:

John
4th July 2005, 01:16
Hill starts and stuff are best done with the front brake IMO, yes the L plate attracts a lot of unwanted attention, you either live with that for 6 months or risk a ticket and take it off, most of us have taken ours off, I can sit my restricted as soon as I get the money and a working bike ARGHH!

Glad your bikes running great and it turned out fine!

JSG I have a councillor who would be happy to meet you...

Pathos
4th July 2005, 01:33
lol

been riding 2 months without a plate and licence with no problems. I even stalled my bike (died in second gear with the cluth fully in ?) while slowing down to a round about in front of a cop and he just watched as I restarted the bike and rode on (cautiously). Passed at least 6 coppers so far, some times 10k over the speed limit. I'm probably just lucky.

But who travels at the speed limit ? I've hardly ever come across a car doing 55 in a 50 k zone.

justsomeguy
4th July 2005, 02:02
........the L plate attracts a lot of unwanted attention, you either live with that for 3 months or risk a ticket and take it off, .........
Glad your bikes running great and it turned out fine!

JSG I have a councillor who would be happy to meet you...

3 Months?? I thought it was 6..... ?? Is it 3 for over 25's??

Why do I need to see a councillor?? I am not addicted to that road...... I can quit riding it any time I want.

John
4th July 2005, 02:09
6 months I must have being thinking of sumin else dunno.

justsomeguy
4th July 2005, 02:10
Hey - John - I just clicked the link in your sig - why do you need all those parts??

I thought your bike was mint - looking at the pics and all????

John
4th July 2005, 02:14
perfection is all I ever strive for ;)

rfc85
4th July 2005, 05:43
I have a major problem with fu#k heads that tail gate and piss me off-I also have an attitude and have been known to follow and "talk" to said fu#kheads usually young males with a veh that will kill them one day. It gets a bit tricky some times but I have my share of wins.

SPman
4th July 2005, 06:39
Might stick an L plate on my bike to check this phenomena out!

WildBoarMouse
4th July 2005, 06:42
I have a major problem with fu#k heads that tail gate and piss me off-I also have an attitude and have been known to follow and "talk" to said fu#kheads usually young males with a veh that will kill them one day. It gets a bit tricky some times but I have my share of wins.
I was definitely tempted! What held me back was the knowledge that if I needed to get away in a hurry I'd either stall it, or probably fall sideways and make an ass of myself. hahaha Still, that was a fun 65km... Pity these days aren't longer... I have to wait until the weekend before i can take her out again. :crybaby:

Antallica
4th July 2005, 06:51
Congrats on the nice ride, road rage becomes much more clear when 'L's are involved.

Also do your bike a favour, take off the MotoOne sticker and deny all knowlege you know of them. Then take her to Colemans for the treatment she deserves :D

WildBoarMouse
4th July 2005, 06:57
Congrats on the nice ride, road rage becomes much more clear when 'L's are involved.

Also do your bike a favour, take off the MotoOne sticker and deny all knowlege you know of them. Then take her to Colemans for the treatment she deserves :D
Hey! Another early riser...

Hahaha... I might have to do that. Haldanes is about 90 seconds walk from my work so I'm tempted to take it there... anyone have any good/bad experiences with that crowd? So far they've been *really* helpful in helping me look for stupid size 15 boots... No luck... but very helpful non-the-less. :yes:

Waylander
4th July 2005, 07:24
Thought about doin the same with mine as kinda a protest of the idiocy of it. Doubt I would get all the morons doin all that stuffto me on my bike though, I tend to look a mean bastid ridin my bike.:devil2: Only reason I havn't done it yet is that it would attracked more attention to a bike that really isn't road legal at the moment. Once I fix it however...

Anway yea front brake works for hill starts. Just roll on the throttle as much as your letting the clutch out and your sweet.

SuperDave
4th July 2005, 08:04
lol

been riding 2 months without a plate and licence with no problems. I even stalled my bike (died in second gear with the cluth fully in ?)

Hey mate, I might be wrong but I would suggest checking out your clutch cable. I have an FXR and stalling with clutch in was the first sign that the cable was worn and trust me, its not fun having a clutch cable snap on you.

GROOMER
4th July 2005, 08:25

Do that, and ride at the speed limit down pretty much any residential street...won't take long! :)

Beemer
4th July 2005, 10:34
Passed at least 6 coppers so far, some times 10k over the speed limit. I'm probably just lucky.

But who travels at the speed limit ? I've hardly ever come across a car doing 55 in a 50 k zone.

You'll probably find your speedo is reading a little high - a lot do nowadays, it's something to do with the makers not wanting to be taken to court when you get done for doing 100kph but the cop says you were doing 110! My RG was notorious for it - it would show 120 but my husband reckoned his speedo was only showing about 105.

Also, if you're riding safely and not doing a ridiculous speed in a 50kph zone, I doubt they would even notice you, let alone pull you over for doing a little over the limit. But if you get pinged by a speed camera, they don't have the same kind of discretion!

I think using an L-plate today would be more dangerous than when most of us learned to ride - more idiots with Jap imports who like to take on other road users. I used to get people overtake me and pull in right in front of me - thankfully I was usually going slow enough not to have to brake, but it still gave me a fright!

N4CR
4th July 2005, 14:28
YOU BASTARD:mad: ........

You went for a ride down scenic drive without me???

I thought we were friends!!!!! :angry2:

Good thing - Erik and I went down there at 2:30....... to Helensville and back......

So how did you find my favourite road in the whole wide world???????? Please tell:yes:

By the way - any time you want to cruise Scenic Drive PLEASE give me a yell!!!

I can never get enough of it - it gets even better at night too..... guessing the road gets that much more fun - everythings pitch black as there are no streetlights and the trees shade the road from Moon or starlight:devil2:

Heheheh! Its blardy awesome.. definately one of my favs. I have been down in a cage and a bus before (I used to live on atkinson rd.. so I was pretty close).

It was a little moist so no pushing to hard... some pea gravel cus they are doing roadworks on it in some sections.

Sure next time I will tell ya... although you will cane me with your knowledge of how it all works :Punk:

MagicMarker
4th July 2005, 18:57
I ride with an "L" plate, just needa put up with it. I rode for a week without one, and got caught, that was $400 not even speeding, just caught randomly. If you have any other questions ask tristank, he's very experienced in that field :rofl:

HDTboy
4th July 2005, 19:25
I fully encourage you to do this and post your results

zeRax
4th July 2005, 20:01
L plates are bad mmmk

blocker
4th July 2005, 22:19
Wild Boar, Geez, sounds like the L plate is a real pain in the arse. I haven't put one on yet, just being doing a few short rides over the last week, (and still need to get in to do the scratch test to officially get my licence, did the basic handling previous saturday but thats it).

Hill starts are a certainly an experience. I've tried the front and back brake ones. I'm leaning towards the front brake as being easier. Haven't stalled but had a few wobble into actions take offs. :yes:
How are you finding the mirrors on your GSX. That is the biggest thing that bothers me coming from 14 years in a car. Instead of 3 big fat car mirrors set up to see everything, I've got these two dinky little things that struggle to see past the great bloody padded shoulders and arms on my jacket (which about doubles my width). I've being playing around with them but they don't seem to be set wide enough and leave a blind spot directly behind me.

Will have to see how this L plate thing goes myself. If I get annoyed with it maybe I could experiment and put it on my Twin Turbo Legacy and see who wants to try and tailgate or inside pass me in that.

Waylander
4th July 2005, 22:22
How are you finding the mirrors on your GSX. That is the biggest thing that bothers me coming from 14 years in a car. Instead of 3 big fat car mirrors set up to see everything, I've got these two dinky little things that struggle to see past the great bloody padded shoulders and arms on my jacket (which about doubles my width). I've being playing around with them but they don't seem to be set wide enough and leave a blind spot directly behind me.

Turn your head you'll see more.:whistle: Seriously the mirrors are only really there to give you some idea of what's behind you, same in a car. If you really want to see what's going on around you turn your head and look.
Welcome to the site BTW.

WildBoarMouse
5th July 2005, 06:57
Wild Boar, Geez, sounds like the L plate is a real pain in the arse. I haven't put one on yet, just being doing a few short rides over the last week, (and still need to get in to do the scratch test to officially get my licence, did the basic handling previous saturday but thats it).

Hill starts are a certainly an experience. I've tried the front and back brake ones. I'm leaning towards the front brake as being easier. Haven't stalled but had a few wobble into actions take offs. :yes:
I think half the problem is that I'm trying to take off as quickly as I would in the car without riding the clutch... Definitely going to try this front brake thing. Still another four days before I can go for another ride <<looks longingly out the window... oh :( it's dark>>

Yep, definitely tiny!!! :yes: I kind of twist my arms in to me and lean to the side to catch a look directly behind me... still prefer to turn the head to get a good look though. :) It's not easy with the jacket on eh?! Anyone here been bored enough to set up a backing camera on their bike with an LCD on the "dash"? haha :stupid:

Will have to see how this L plate thing goes myself. If I get annoyed with it maybe I could experiment and put it on my Twin Turbo Legacy and see who wants to try and tailgate or inside pass me in that.
Definitely tempting... :p We need one of the experienced bikers to find him/herself a 250cc, stick the L-plate on and ride around for a while... then give us some feedback. See if they notice a difference in driver attitude.

Eurygnomes
5th July 2005, 11:07
We need one of the experienced bikers to find him/herself a 250cc, stick the L-plate on and ride around for a while... then give us some feedback. See if they notice a difference in driver attitude.

I am SOOO keen for this to happen. I haven't ridden mine yet (looked longingly at it's wet seat this morning) and I'm not sure whether I want to just carry an "L" with me or attach it. I really don't need the hassle of aggro drivers - I'd rather just blend in (this is not a comment I'll use often!).

Someone's gotta want to do it...*nudge*

vifferman
5th July 2005, 11:17
The "L-plate Phenomenon" is the same in a car. I had some very nasty experiences when teaching my two eldest to drive, and once I left the L-plate on while going for a short trip (~5km) to the mall. Even though I was driving at illegal speeds, I had several f-wits overtake me dangerously. I dunno if it's just a D'Auckland thing, but it's real alright.:mad:
If I was on an L-plate on a bike, I'd do the "It just came off" thing - snap it off, stick it in your bag or under your seat. Given that it's supposedly for safety, yet makes riding MORE dangerous, I reckon a campaign to have it banned would not be a dumb idea.

ZorsT
5th July 2005, 21:14
I reckon a campaign to have it banned would not be a dumb idea.
Most people think they are great, so the campaign would be a flop at best :mad:

blocker
5th July 2005, 22:21
I think I'll have to try it out for a week on the bike and a week on the car :yes: and see how it goes.

Prepared to run the risk of the $400 fine if its in the interest of my livelihood but may have to reconsider if it lengthens the term you have to stay on the learners permit. I was hoping to do the CBTA thingy in a couple of months (being an 25+ oldie) and get through the learners stage fairly quickly.

raster
7th July 2005, 21:25
Hi all bikies out there. First post???%$#

I have only ridden for about 50 Ks with L plate while hiring bike to get my restricted so haven't had much experience although found it OK, only one misshap but I know he was going to do it and reacted before he started.
I think some of it is everyone else are f**kwits and expect them to be.

Passed my restricted after second go 2 months ago. Don't use mirrors, turn your head instead.

I have just got my bike up from down country, rebuilt carbs, brakes etc.
Now ready for warrant, can't wait. :ride:

Looking at doing CBTA for full then I'll be "allowed" to ride my 400 (stupid Law)

Squiggles
8th July 2005, 00:47
hello and welcome to kb ;)

the 250cc limit is non-negotiable aint it, nt like how u can get exemptions for riding times and passengers?
hope ya dont get caught by a smart cop ;)

if you're going out on a ride this weekend, lemme know!!! i might come out and join ya :D

raster
8th July 2005, 07:46
I need to get a warrant for it this weekend, nkow of anywhere that is not the takanini testing station and not too far from Papakura.

thanks for your reply, I'm still getting used to the comaraderie of Bikers :ride:

And still getting used to the forum.

I had a scare with cop not long ago!

Had the bike in Morrinsville and would go down the odd weekend, fuel was getting gloopy and I had a deadend country road that I would use, the thing stopped on me, while sitting on the side of the road, no WOF or REG or License a Cop pulled up asking if I was OK, I was crapping myself, I just said OK, fuel clog, clear in a minute, and they drove off.
And my wife has just read this for the first time over my shoulder :nono:

Maki
17th July 2008, 16:28
I enjoy my L plate. I just love to "learn" cagers whit that thing on my bike. It makes it all the more worthwhile somehow...

Victoria
17th July 2008, 21:35
L plates suck...yes they do, but I have to say that the tailgating has been only 'part one' of the problem, 'part two' comes when aforementioned asshole, usually driving a ute (nuff said) get up beside you and hover there, boxing me in while having a good look and smiling and nodding as if somehow I need some dickheads approval for being a chick on a bike...oh for the day when I am competent and ballsy enough to kick a door...sigh.

CB ARGH
17th July 2008, 21:54
L plates suck...yes they do, but I have to say that the tailgating has been only 'part one' of the problem, 'part two' comes when aforementioned asshole, usually driving a ute (nuff said) get up beside you and hover there, boxing me in while having a good look and smiling and nodding as if somehow I need some dickheads approval for being a chick on a bike...oh for the day when I am competent and ballsy enough to kick a door...sigh.

Make sure that you wear cowboy boots with big blades on the tip of them to do some real damage. Or just shove a fart bomb through the window :D :Oi:

It's going to suck when I have to use the L plate. But it beats a $400 fine...

I'm even going to do the speed limit. :clap:

BiK3RChiK
18th July 2008, 17:53
Make sure that you wear cowboy boots with big blades on the tip of them to do some real damage. Or just shove a fart bomb through the window :D :Oi:

It's going to suck when I have to use the L plate. But it beats a $400 fine...

I'm even going to do the speed limit. :clap:

All the best with those plans StClingin! I too thought I'd stick to all the rules... Bwahahahahaha Tail-gated, Bottled, Cut-in on, Cars trying to lane share with me... WTF? Can't they see I have an L-plate?

I don't plan on having my learners for much longer!

Mavis

dpex
19th July 2008, 19:20
L-Plates are nothing more than an invitation to the vindictive to practice their particular brand of arrogance and stupidity. I've emailed Andy Knackstead of LTSA on the issue, and suggested the L-plate rule be revoked, for all the reasons posited in the other posts.

Griffin
19th July 2008, 23:47
Isnt it interesting... considering we were ALL learners once - no matter our age. (some of us old enough to have not had to suffer the 'L' plate badge of pride)

But to think that we collectively treat our learner riders like they shouldnt be on the road just because we have our 'full' license - even if we have only had our full for 5 minutes. What change do we go through as a nation once we get rid of the yellow plate? What makes us treat our learners like this?

I know not everyone does it but most certainly do