PDA

View Full Version : Santa's incredible schedule

bluninja
12th December 2003, 10:06
The premise: Santa's incredible schedule. OK, folks, besides the fact that Santa takes all the focus off Jesus on the memorial of His birth, and besides the fact that Christmas is a business for the merchants this year, what about Santa? Yes, there was a man named Sinterklaus a long time ago, but he didn't go all over the place doling out toys, etc...So, why do we think Santa can do the impossible? Impossible, you say? I thought it would be in the public interest to quote some statistics about Santa that I found in December 26, 1996's New York Post.

No know species of reindeer can fly. But there are over 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects, bugs, things you squelch under your boot, and germs, this does not completely rule out flying reindeer, which, let's face it, only Santa has ever seen. ·
There are 2,000,000 children (persons under 18) in the world. But since Santa doesn't appear to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish, and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15 percent of the total, 378,000,000 according to the Population Reference Bureau. At an average rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there is at least one good child at least. ·
Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels from east to west, which seems logical. This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever goodies have been left for him, get back up the chimney, unto sleigh and move on. Assuming that these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (without we know to be false, but for the purposes of our calculations, we will accept) we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding, etc. ·
This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For the purpose of comparison, the fastest manmade vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a pokey 27.4 miles per second. A conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour. ·
The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized Lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,000 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" could pull 10 times the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight or even nine. We need 214,000 reindeer. This increases the payload, not even counting the weight of the sleigh, to 353,430 tons! Again, for comparison, this is four times the weight of the QE II. ·
These 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second create enormous air resistance. This will heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer (you know, Rudolph and chum) will absorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they will burst into flames almost instantaneously. Reindeer behind them will be toast and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250 pound Santa, which seems ludicrously slim, would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force. ·
In short, if Santa ever did deliver presents on Christmas eve, <I>he's dead now.</I>

&nbsp;

Who has the energy to think all this stuff up??

Motoracer
12th December 2003, 10:19
Originally posted by bluninja
Who has the energy to think all this stuff up??

The engineer types with a bit of spare time lol

riffer
12th December 2003, 10:20
All of which assumes, of course, that Santa is bound by the laws of physics.

Bah humbug to you, too. :p

k14
12th December 2003, 10:55
They failed to mention that when he travels at 650 miles per sec, (around 0.0003% the speed of light) time dilation would come into effect thus creating more time for him to be able to do his deliveries.

So that would allow him atleast a few extra seconds!!!

:D

Motu
12th December 2003, 11:39
What a load of crap!...to fund this 24hr opperation I work in a normal job for 51 weeks of the year,a couple of days before I load up,then do the deed on Xmas eve - a whole night speeding so fast I defy the laws of physics...and no demerit points!

I'll be back at work on the 5th.

Motoracer
12th December 2003, 12:30
I have been very good this year Motu errrr... Santa, can you please make it a 2004 ZX10/6R or 2004 R1/R6 or 2004 CBR1000R/600RR OR GSXR1000K4/600K4 for me? Any will do really, I am not that picky :D

Coldkiwi
12th December 2003, 12:37
What I find ironic is that although so many people have an emphasis on secular Santa instead of the earthly birth of God's Son,&nbsp;they credit a&nbsp;mythical individual with godlike powers! ("he knows if you've been good or bad"...2 million children visited in the world.. climbing up a narrow chimney with toys and still having a red suit at the end of it?)

&nbsp;

jrandom
12th December 2003, 13:31
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
What I find ironic is that although so many people have an emphasis on secular Santa instead of the earthly birth of God's Son,&nbsp;they credit a&nbsp;mythical individual with godlike powers! ("he knows if you've been good or bad"...2 million children visited in the world.. climbing up a narrow chimney with toys and still having a red suit at the end of it?)

eh well, they don't really credit anybody with anything, they just spout a bunch of crap to the kids with their fingers crossed behind their back...

anyway, JC wasn't born on Dec 25. Bit hard to celebrate a birth date with any sincerity when you're not sure what it is.

Coldkiwi
12th December 2003, 13:42
perhaps 'credit' is the wrong word but you get my point.

I know Dec 25 is only a selected date so i don't get hung up on the specific day at the expense of celebrating the event.

there's actually strong evidence suggesting Jesus was born in 6BC not 0 AD. Someone fluffed up the gregorian calender at its inception apparently. Also (very interesting), there's some day in April 6BC that had a HUGE astrological event as well that would've been picked up by astrologers of the time (the 'powerful planets' Saturn, Jupiter, Mars and some other planet were all in the one constellation signifying kingship or something)... perhaps some blokes from the east spotted it while they were having a chinwag over some tinnies?

&nbsp;

and people promote santa claus still.... go fig :P

&nbsp;

Motu
12th December 2003, 14:19
No one bothers to lend a hand,I do this all on my own - I don't need any fucking hand outs,any smart arse kid who asks for something they don't bloody deserve gets a pair of socks from ''Nana''

I do this for the thrill of being able to do some real speed just once a year.

Oh yeah - some choice booze and a bit a cake along the way is a bonus.

Jackrat
12th December 2003, 14:52
Hate to be the one to burst the bubble,(yeah sure).But santa as he is known today is nothing more than a Coca cola add.
he was invented during the 30s by some bright advertising type.
Not that I give a toss,As I still have socks left over from when I was a sprog.:p :o

jrandom
12th December 2003, 14:57
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
and people promote santa claus still.... go fig :P

Seriously, there are a LOT of people out there who really, really do think that if everybody else (or, at least, everybody who matters...) does or thinks something, it must be the Right and Proper thing to do or think. Even when pointed out to them that automatically following the herd is a dangerous way to arrive at conclusions.

Pondering on the above does tend to put one in agreement with SpankMe's definition of CSCs...

Nouseforaname
12th December 2003, 18:48
Maybe we could have a Xmas day ride for all the people who dont celebrate Xmas..... there's got to be someone else besides me?

LB
12th December 2003, 19:13
nouseforaname: we'll be riding up to Wanganui on Christmas Day. Yeah yeah, I know it's only 200km from Wgtn via SH1/3, but there's all sorts of diversions to be made, eg via the Wairarapa, Pahiatua Track, Vinegar Hill, Turangi, National Park, Paraparas. What else is there to do on Christmas Day? The roads are pretty empty, it's great. And hopefully most Mr Plod's will be having Christmas off duty.........

bluninja
12th December 2003, 20:29
Hate to be the one to burst the bubble,(yeah sure).But santa as he is known today is nothing more than a Coca cola add.
he was invented during the 30s by some bright advertising type.
Not that I give a toss,As I still have socks left over from when I was a sprog.:p :o

Hate to be the one to burst your bubble but Coca Cola only popularised the image that was already there. Go back to early 1800s and that's about the time all the myths, european traditions etc merged into a Santa Claus figure. Then there's the poem 'Twas the night before Christams' that named his 8 reindeer, then the book about Rudolf the red nosed reindeer....all in the 19th century. Oh and don't forget the damned English! Infecting the USA with their tradition of sending Christmas cards....funnily enough there were cards with santa in a red and white suit all before the 20th century. :Punk:

I think this was mentioned in the geek test somewhere :sleep:

TTFN

MikeL
12th December 2003, 20:31
And hopefully most Mr Plod's will be having Christmas off duty.........
But some of them must have drawn the short straw, and you can imagine what mood they'll be in having to do road patrol on Xmas Day instead of being at home with the family, the barbie and the booze...
:angry:

Good luck!

Jackrat
12th December 2003, 21:39
Hate to be the one to burst your bubble but Coca Cola only popularised the image that was already there. Go back to early 1800s and that's about the time all the myths, european traditions etc merged into a Santa Claus figure. Then there's the poem 'Twas the night before Christams' that named his 8 reindeer, then the book about Rudolf the red nosed reindeer....all in the 19th century. Oh and don't forget the damned English! Infecting the USA with their tradition of sending Christmas cards....funnily enough there were cards with santa in a red and white suit all before the 20th century. :Punk:

I think this was mentioned in the geek test somewhere :sleep:

TTFN
Did I not say AS HE IS KNOWN TODAY.
The Poem you refer to was writen in 1807
There have been many folk storys similar to the original but the real St nick,.
Was in fact St Nicholas born in Turkey in the 3rd century-died in 325,AD,Patron saint of more causes than any other saint.
It is st Nicholas after who the modern santa claus is modeled by most christain people.And the man was never a myth.The modern American version was made popular by coca cola in the thirtys in an advertizing campain.And is also based on st Nicholas.
So my bubble is well intact. :p
Cheers.
PS.your Sinter claus is the American Dutch reformed Church name for the same Person.
Merry xmas.

What?
13th December 2003, 09:14
And hopefully most Mr Plod's will be having Christmas off duty.........
Don't count on it! Though the main focus will be booze :apint:

bluninja
13th December 2003, 09:22
[QUOTE=Jackrat]Did I not say AS HE IS KNOWN TODAY.

No. You said But santa as he is known today is nothing more than a Coca cola add He existed as he is known today before the coke ad. And Bikerboy accuses me of pedantry :doctor:

Good on you fer doing research/knowing that stuff. There's loads more interesting stuff; and you'd be amazed what you learn when you rattle a pagans cage about Christmas. :done:

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas

Jackrat
13th December 2003, 10:19
[QUOTE=Jackrat]Did I not say AS HE IS KNOWN TODAY.

No. You said But santa as he is known today is nothing more than a Coca cola add He existed as he is known today before the coke ad. And Bikerboy accuses me of pedantry :doctor:

Good on you fer doing research/knowing that stuff. There's loads more interesting stuff; and you'd be amazed what you learn when you rattle a pagans cage about Christmas. :done:

Ho Ho Ho. Merry Christmas

LOL,I am trying to win this years award for the most pedantic prick on the planet.I reckon I,m doing ok so far,But someone will no doubt come along an prove me wrong.
As for the Pagan thing,Iv,e been looking into that,Sounds like fun, :whistle: :niceone:

bluninja
13th December 2003, 10:59
LOL,I am trying to win this years award for the most pedantic prick on the planet.

A sure fire for that is to start a thread about countersteering. It's almost better than ACC/Insurance/Didn't see you for pickiness :2thumbsup

Happy Beltaine :Punk:

riffer
13th December 2003, 12:10
Happy Beltaine :Punk:

Sorry bluninja - beltain was back in October - otherwise known by the non-pagans as Hallowe'en

7.03PM 22 December - mid-summer is the one we'll be celebrating.

See what happens when you rattle the pagans cages - they ALL come out of the woodwork :bash:

wkid_one
13th December 2003, 12:50
Bah Hum Bug

bluninja
13th December 2003, 17:53
Sorry bluninja - beltain was back in October - otherwise known by the non-pagans as Hallowe'en

7.03PM 22 December - mid-summer is the one we'll be celebrating.

See what happens when you rattle the pagans cages - they ALL come out of the woodwork :bash:

whoops :whistle: well I'm still a bit screwed up from crossing the equator. But I did say you'd be amazed what you learn when you rattle a pagans cage about Christmas

I'll consider myself amazed.

PZR
13th December 2003, 19:15
:o

Whaaaaat?? Are you ttttttrying to ttttttell me that Santa is not rrrrrreal?????
WaaaaHaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
(bites knuckle while tears rain down)

Liv, Norway
15th December 2003, 11:01
Here he is!

Liv.