PDA

View Full Version : Things to do, places to see in the South Island?

rapid van cleef
1st July 2011, 21:15
Well hi guys. im looking for some info/ advice.

im travelling down to Christchurch in novemenber and will be taking my old folks from the UK with me. They are 73 and 78. we are staying for 5 days in a rental house and would llike to go and see some of the south island. the auld fella cant walk very far at all..he has dodgy knees and we could maybe leave him in a pub! but my mum can and does walk for miles

can anyone recomend somewhere to go?

i was thinking about fiordland but thats too far a drive from christchurch. is lake takapuna( is that correct) worth a visit?

thanks guys

Virago
1st July 2011, 21:28
I'll take a stab at that and guess you're talking about Lake Tekapo?

Yes, well worth a visit. In November the weather should be very nice - if you're lucky there will still be plenty of snow on the mountain-tops. Only a short drive from Tekapo up to Mt Cook, the old fella can see plenty without walking far.

From Christchurch it's not far to the West Coast. The South Island weather patterns mean that when it's fine in the east, it's often wet in the west - and vice versa. Be flexible - go where the weather is.

Not far from Ch-ch to Hanmer Springs either.

rapid van cleef
1st July 2011, 21:29
great thanks for that. i think im gonna bring me bike down too, so maybe a ride out for a few hours would be cool too. thanks for that info.

JimO
1st July 2011, 22:32

im pretty sure it was renamed Lake takapuna

Kickaha
2nd July 2011, 08:53
great thanks for that. i think im gonna bring me bike down too, so maybe a ride out for a few hours would be cool too. thanks for that info.

Akaroa or across to Aurthur's pass or Jacksons

DrunkenMistake
2nd July 2011, 20:31
im pretty sure it was renamed Lake takapuna
Ahahahaha, I think the Local Iwi got the name rights?

Yes, well worth a visit. In November the weather should be very nice - if you're lucky there will still be plenty of snow on the mountain-tops. Only a short drive from Tekapo up to Mt Cook, the old fella can see plenty without walking far.

From Christchurch it's not far to the West Coast. The South Island weather patterns mean that when it's fine in the east, it's often wet in the west - and vice versa. Be flexible - go where the weather is.

Not far from Ch-ch to Hanmer Springs either.

+1 with Virago, weather in November is great, if your going to go hard for a day go through timaru - fairly - teapo/mt cook - twizel - Omarama ( I think thats all of about 3 - 4 hours) if you wanna go further go through Lindas pass and go through cromwell/clyde area and possibly wanaka otherwise you can go from Oamarama to Oamaru back to Chch thats another 3ish hours.

FJRider
2nd July 2011, 20:50
Greymouth ... a pub on every corner ... he'll never be far away ... :lol:

DrunkenMistake
2nd July 2011, 20:51
Greymouth ... a pub on every corner ... he'll never be far away ... :lol:

LOL watch out for the locals though, the one with 7 fingers isnt as friendly as he looks..

FJRider
2nd July 2011, 21:09
LOL watch out for the locals though, the one with 7 fingers isnt as friendly as he looks..

Especially if he only shows you ONE finger ... :shit: