PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung or Ninja as a learner's bike?

NJ001
3rd July 2011, 11:19
Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. I know this question has been asked quite a few times on the Internet; however, most of the queries relate to the old models. I am looking to buy a new Learner's bike and am divided between Hyosung GT250RN or Ninja 250. Is their any specific technological advantage for one over another? I know I have to go for the one that I feel comfortable. Ninja seems more comfy for my height (5'7"). Hyosung has a more heavy feel, but I guess it might go away with time. I haven't ridden bikes for 7 years and am like a fresher.
Should there be anything to look for before I buy. The Hyosung dealer said it would be more easy of a transition from Hyosung to a bigger bike than Ninja and that Ninja's engine is like from 1986. Ninja is slightly expensive and i must be sure it is a good use of my money. Will I have problems graduating to bigger bikes in future with Ninja?
Thanks for any suggestions.

NJ001:yes:

tri boy
3rd July 2011, 11:40
Both are good learner bikes.
Just remember to buy good quality riding gear.
Get the dealer to cut a sharp deal on helmet etc at time of purchace.
MHO

Spearfish
3rd July 2011, 11:43
Take them both for a ride if you can, one of the bike mags had a comparison test not so long ago.

Motorcycle trader and news, October 2010.....Page 60.
The one with the Ducati cruiser custom on the front.

DMNTD
3rd July 2011, 11:53
Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. I know this question has been asked quite a few times on the Internet; however, most of the queries relate to the old models. I am looking to buy a new Learner's bike and am divided between Hyosung GT250RN or Ninja 250. Is their any specific technological advantage for one over another? I know I have to go for the one that I feel comfortable. Ninja seems more comfy for my height (5'7"). Hyosung has a more heavy feel, but I guess it might go away with time. I haven't ridden bikes for 7 years and am like a fresher.
Should there be anything to look for before I buy. The Hyosung dealer said it would be more easy of a transition from Hyosung to a bigger bike than Ninja and that Ninja's engine is like from 1986. Ninja is slightly expensive and i must be sure it is a good use of my money. Will I have problems graduating to bigger bikes in future with Ninja?

Definitely buy the most "natural feeling" bike for you. Both are great units and have their own merits.
I/we have a demo of each if you're keen...we're down in Tauranga.
PM me if you have any queries

matdaymon
3rd July 2011, 12:08
I've ridden an older Ninja and then my 05 GT250 one after the other. Noticed the Ninja felt a lot less torquey and needed to be revved more than the Hyosung and it felt less stable in slow speed turns.

I put that down to the differences between the handlebars and the engines, clip on style and further forward position on the Kawa to the more upright on the Hyo and Parallel twin vs V-Twin. The Hyo now has clip ons though and is comparable to the ninja in the slow speed turns, but as you said feels a lot heavier. Personally I like the heavier feel but that is just my personal preference.

With aftermarket exhausts on both the ninja wins hands down in the sound off. They sound great with twin exhausts.

Spearfish
3rd July 2011, 12:10
this could help or hinder

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WkqDzeCVkX0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Muppet
3rd July 2011, 12:12
I'd buy the Ninja for re-sale and reliability. Don't trust names like Hyosung, or Shinko tyres for that matter!

jaffaonajappa
3rd July 2011, 12:48
Id buy the new Honda CBR if it was me.....and im not really a Honda fan.

4AGE
3rd July 2011, 12:52
Yeah, take a new CBR for a ride if you are buying brand new.

sil3nt
3rd July 2011, 13:49
Ninja engine might be old but still shits all over Hyosung so don't know what that dealer was on about!

racefactory
3rd July 2011, 13:54
Ninja suspension is fucking shocking.

GrayWolf
3rd July 2011, 14:24
Hi Guys

I guess the advice you will get is going to be comparable to the age, bike size of those giving it, :D
Most learners (myself included at that time) will go for the fastest, coolest etc,,, reality is, the 2 bikes you mention, in REAL LIFE performance terms, there is nothing between them.... 5kph top speed, or .5 seconds over 1/4 mile mean FUCK ALL on the road. That is all avbout bragging rights. ride both, buy the one that feels right to you. Both have advntages over the other, both have disadvantages.

Sable
3rd July 2011, 15:32
You're spending a shitload of money on something with drastically inferior performance and resale value compared to damn near anything else out there. Just my 5 cents.

BuckBuck#1
3rd July 2011, 17:12
Yeah, take a new CBR for a ride if you are buying brand new.

Ditto

I had a 2009 Ninja 250R and was happy with it, and now they're fuel injected as well.

Last week saw the Honda CBR 250, go take a demo ride on the Honda too.

Ride as many different bikes as you can before deciding.

NJ001
3rd July 2011, 21:52
Thanks guys!!! i guess i will ride all 3 before making a decision.. do u reckon it will be a harder transition from Ninja than Hyosung to bigger bikes? am i thinking too much here?
Also, I would be grateful id u can give some suggestions for shops in Akl for jackets n all?
Thanks again.. Much appreciated...
:woohoo::woohoo:

Muppet
3rd July 2011, 21:58
Ninja suspension is fucking shocking.

Suspension is shocking?:killingme:killingme:killingme

DrunkenMistake
3rd July 2011, 21:58
I'd buy the Ninja for re-sale and reliability. Don't trust names like Hyosung, or Shinko tyres for that matter!

For 7 grand!? fuck that,
I took one of those RS15's out for a spin the other day
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KbMRGVHW0j8/SNUSb-1iBBI/AAAAAAAAAIA/kuJ91PGZnXo/s400/yzfr15_08-thumb-370x203.jpg
If I was starting out and I was buying BRAND SPANKING NEW I would buy one,
It goes HARD and with minor modification it can Huss,
was a great wee bike, I loved it ae even for a 150.
And at 5grand, I wouldnt call it over priced.

nzspokes
3rd July 2011, 21:59
Thanks guys!!! i guess i will ride all 3 before making a decision.. do u reckon it will be a harder transition from Ninja than Hyosung to bigger bikes? am i thinking too much here?
Also, I would be grateful id u can give some suggestions for shops in Akl for jackets n all?

I went to Cycletreads today, they have stacks of clothing etc. Got an awesome deal on some nice boots. :woohoo:

I looked at a Hyosung 250 there to. Just looked though, cant afford a new bike right now.

baptist
3rd July 2011, 23:40
I went to Cycletreads today, they have stacks of clothing etc. Got an awesome deal on some nice boots. :woohoo:

I looked at a Hyosung 250 there to. Just looked though, cant afford a new bike right now.

+1 Good choice and have some good deals now and again, and if you bought a bike off them as well...:woohoo:

jaffaonajappa
4th July 2011, 00:22
do u reckon it will be a harder transition from Ninja than Hyosung to bigger bikes? am i thinking too much here?

Yes, you are thinking too much here.
The 250 time period is where you learn some handling skills, and more importantly - some road survival skills. Ride whatever is easiest to use during this period - its the most challenging time on a bike.

All three bikes are fine stepping stones to something bigger after a year or so....assuming you survive that first year. (Focus on learning mate, not moving up to bigger just yet....small steps).

jaffaonajappa
4th July 2011, 00:25
For 7 grand!? fuck that,
I took one of those RS15's out for a spin the other day
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KbMRGVHW0j8/SNUSb-1iBBI/AAAAAAAAAIA/kuJ91PGZnXo/s400/yzfr15_08-thumb-370x203.jpg
If I was starting out and I was buying BRAND SPANKING NEW I would buy one,
It goes HARD and with minor modification it can Huss,
was a great wee bike, I loved it ae even for a 150.
And at 5grand, I wouldnt call it over priced.

Yup, R15's are farking great. Good for commuting....But a learner will get tired of it a bit too soon... Outstanding second bike. Excellent for a brand newbie (if they can afford to pay for likely crash damage lol), but beware you will get bored of it damn fast if its your only bike.
Handles very well even with the crappy indian tyres. Stops fast. Simple motor with ok HP. And very very light.

DrunkenMistake
4th July 2011, 00:48
Yup, R15's are farking great. Good for commuting....But a learner will get tired of it a bit too soon... Outstanding second bike. Excellent for a brand newbie (if they can afford to pay for likely crash damage lol), but beware you will get bored of it damn fast if its your only bike.
Handles very well even with the crappy indian tyres. Stops fast. Simple motor with ok HP. And very very light.

Yeah ae, Figured for Auckland though It might not be so bad, if its been used in peak traffic times, would be ok for the occasional thrash too.
But I agree with getting bored, I think I had my CBR 250 for all of 7 Months before I got my NC30, wasnt cutting it .. haha

jaffaonajappa
4th July 2011, 00:53
Yeah ae, Figured for Auckland though It might not be so bad, if its been used in peak traffic times, would be ok for the occasional thrash too.
But I agree with getting bored, I think I had my CBR 250 for all of 7 Months before I got my NC30, wasnt cutting it .. haha

yeah - its not toooo bad out on the twisties - typical story with an underpowered lightweight bike - all about keeping the speed up and not letting the revs drop. Surprises bigger bikes on the tighter and slower corners....but only if your giving it death lol.
Its strength is commuting in town - 40 to 60 or so. 115 is fine....then slowly climbs to 130 max. Mind you, mines only got 1,500k's on it....still some more running in to go (i think)

Edit. 5k for the Yammy 150. 7k for the Honda 250. Or 9k for the Hyo/Kwaka. Even if the Honda cost the same as the kwaka/Hyo, Id chose the Hondaa. But when saving almost 2k.....it seems like a bargain.
Edit2. But. But what do you say to your Dad if he catches you riding a Honda? I mean....wouldnt it be embarrasing?? :)

DrunkenMistake
4th July 2011, 00:55
yeah - its not toooo bad out on the twisties - typical story with an underpowered lightweight bike - all about keeping the speed up and not letting the revs drop. Surprises bigger bikes on the tighter and slower corners....but only if your giving it death lol.
Its strength is commuting in town - 40 to 60 or so. 115 is fine....then slowly climbs to 130 max. Mind you, mines only got 1,500k's on it....still some more running in to go (i think)
Im trying to convince the misses to get one ae, would be perfect

BuckBuck#1
4th July 2011, 12:42

Yes you are probably thinking too much ahead: transitioning is something ahead of you and as you cultivate your riding experience and technique you will have acquired a skill set that will enable you to make better and more informed decisions regarding your next bike after a 250cc.

Do not skimp on your riding gear, I cannot help you out regarding Auckland, but please spend a little bit more for quality. Cordora verses leather, often the costs do come into it. I have had both, as well as Draggin Jeans, and leather gear is my premium choice.

Enjoy your riding all three and let us know what you choose.

Oleg
6th July 2011, 15:58
My 10c here.

My mate got 2010 Hyobag Just last year. Very neat looking thing being black/white, fairly comfortable.
BUT:
- Surprisingly gutless.
- Surface rust showing up in couple of places
- Chain had to be replaced at 8K
- Tyres were shocking in wet and cornering
- Rear brake has locked up on him twice (didnt want to release itself) !!!
By now he has done 15000 km's.
The above is purely what we've experienced with it. Nothing made up.

Personal view: You wouldn't name a decent bike "Hyosung", would you?

At the end of the day there are not that many options of what you can get being 250 restricted.
How about going the old school way of MC19 or MC22? I've got both of them sitting in my garage, both feel much better then 2010 Hyosung...

As been mentioned 200 times before - get your own opinion on what feels right for you.

nzspokes
6th July 2011, 16:09
My problem with the Hyosung is getting on it. Need a ladder.

Old Steve
7th July 2011, 18:50
I'm a confessed Hyosung fan. Done 18,000 km in 16 months on a GV250 - you'd have no trouble getting onto that.

But my liking of Hyosungs aside, I've been very impressed with a Yamaha Scorpio which comes on our rides. Its a lot smaller than a Hyosung GT250N or R or my GV250, and while its engine is only 225 cc it keeps up. Fairly nimble.

DanielSumi
7th July 2011, 19:25
some people say that 250cc racing replicas are like a toyota echo / honda jazz with a rear spoiler and a sporty body kit. some people like the looks of it :innocent:

that said, i've tried both, the green had a better riding position even tho the hyo is taller. (ninja have a more upstanding position, don't think i could ride a 250r for 15 minutes without getting a sore back. but than, i might be getting too old).

in the end of the day, it's really up to you, buy whatever feels better to ride.

GrayWolf
8th July 2011, 09:58
My problem with the Hyosung is getting on it. Need a ladder.

Then to throw another idea into the mix? The yamaha Zeal? that is a quite low bike, and like the honda hornet, has a lower state of tune engine from the 'rip snorter' 250 sports.

Blinkwing
8th July 2011, 13:13
Regardless of whichever bike you buy, it's still going to be a 250.

The bike doesn't matter at all, it's how you use it that matters. Basically just use the 250 to learn all the necessary skills before upgrading to something that requires finely tuned skills to play with.