PDA

View Full Version : Any super awesome Microsoft Vista techs on here?

cowpoos
3rd July 2011, 18:15
Like the title says....I having a few windows issues [Microsoft update don't work among things!!]

So anyone here got some good credentials?

cowpoos
3rd July 2011, 18:41
to whom ever shifted this....can ya please humour me and stick it back in rant and rave...know one looks in this part of the forum....seriously!!

xxcbr69xx
3rd July 2011, 19:14
Is your error code 80073712.........then try this http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/758930.htm

If not what code are you getting?

What else you having probs with?

Hitcher
3rd July 2011, 19:19
to whom ever shifted this....can ya please humour me and stick it back in rant and rave...know one looks in this part of the forum....seriously!!

Some people never read the forums at all. Myself included. Srsly.

DrunkenMistake
3rd July 2011, 20:01
Some people never read the forums at all. Myself included. Srsly.

I only read this bakehouse it looked like a good Troll,

I was sadly mistaken.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Microsoft+update+wont+work+on+Vista

dodgyguy
5th July 2011, 08:43
Upgrade to 7 or down grade to XP (which technically would still be an upgrade from vista....)

p.dath
5th July 2011, 08:59
Perhaps you might like to describe your problem.

The Singing Chef
5th July 2011, 09:00
Upgrade to 7 or down grade to XP (which technically would still be an upgrade from vista....)

+11111 to this man

Scuba_Steve
5th July 2011, 09:10
Just to start the fanboys off... Get a Mac :innocent:

While I don't know about this issue I can can say the free ver of 'windows secrets' email can be helpful for finding out which updates MS fucked up each month & which are "safe" to install. MS's monthly patch release day got the nickname "black tuesday" for a reason :yes:

scracha
5th July 2011, 19:38
Like the title says....I having a few windows issues [Microsoft update don't work among things!!]

So anyone here got some good credentials?

Come on Poos, I thought you loved me?

Obvious stuff is to check the BITS service is running, check the date and time on your PC is correct and check your Interweb proxy settings.

Seriously though...if it's for erm....personal home use and you have a mate/cuzzy/dog/girlfriend with a nice Windows 7 COA sticker and licence key then I'd have no hesitation in suggesting you stick Windows 7 on your machine. It's MILES better. I'm generally against software piracy but as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft should have given every poor sucker stuck with Vista a copy of Win 7 for $50 or less. For starters they'd have lost a lot less customers to that black jersey wearing FreeBSD/Samsung/etc nicking Satanist.

cowpoos
5th July 2011, 20:19
Come on Poos, I thought you loved me?

Obvious stuff is to check the BITS service is running, check the date and time on your PC is correct and check your Interweb proxy settings.

Seriously though...if it's for erm....personal home use and you have a mate/cuzzy/dog/girlfriend with a nice Windows 7 COA sticker and licence key then I'd have no hesitation in suggesting you stick Windows 7 on your machine. It's MILES better. I'm generally against software piracy but as far as I'm concerned, Microsoft should have given every poor sucker stuck with Vista a copy of Win 7 for $50 or less. For starters they'd have lost a lot less customers to that black jersey wearing FreeBSD/Samsung/etc nicking Satanist.

You don't wanna backdoor my system while I'm on the phone to ya steve?

scracha
5th July 2011, 20:35

Had a long long long day today.. Gimmie a buzz tomorrow or just courier it over.

cowpoos
5th July 2011, 20:50
Had a long long long day today.. Gimmie a buzz tomorrow or just courier it over.

I'll be in touch...I think I've really just fucked it up...and should try put everything back manually!

meh....fuckin microsoft!!!

while I'm whinging....my fucking Nokia c6-00 supposed smartphone is playing up too...anyone on here a symbian S60 software tech???

thecharmed01
5th July 2011, 23:25
I'll be in touch...I think I've really just fucked it up...and should try put everything back manually!

meh....fuckin microsoft!!!

while I'm whinging....my fucking Nokia c6-00 supposed smartphone is playing up too...anyone on here a symbian S60 software tech???

Switch to Ubuntu... Just sayin. :innocent:

Gremlin
6th July 2011, 03:56
what are we? Ya personal slaves?

I've used Symbian for 3 odd years (shifted to BB recently)... what's your problem?

cowpoos
7th July 2011, 19:46
Switch to Ubuntu... Just sayin. :innocent:

Gobble de gobble de gobble de gooble de goop??????? Wat you talking bout willis??

what are we? Ya personal slaves?

Yes

I've used Symbian for 3 odd years (shifted to BB recently)... what's your problem?

Won't update....is eight firmware updates behind. it is unbranded, unlocked and definatly legit phone......it hangs ,locks up,freezes....actually it does what windows does barr blue screen of death!!! shuts programs,apps down for shits and giggles...it actually does lots of other funky things too...but they only happen once...so I've decided to call them quirks!!

Berries
7th July 2011, 20:24
I've seen some chat up lines in my time, but jeez.

cowpoos
7th July 2011, 21:09
I've seen some chat up lines in my time, but jeez.

Nice!!!! lol

Grasshopperus
7th July 2011, 21:40
Just go pay your local PC dude $25/hr (or whatever) to reinstall your operating system. Make a backup of anything you want to keep and then copy it back after he's done with it.

Go Windows7, it's what Vista should have been. Don't go Linux unless you want to learn how to use a how new thang or unless whatever you're doing is entirely web based and you don't depend on MS-centric stuff like MS Access or games that only run on Windows.

YellowDog
7th July 2011, 22:03
I have to say this, but have persevered with Visa on my lap top and it was worth it. I’ve even reactivated the legendary indexing service. Works really well now.
Download SP3 and run it. If you already have SP3, then kill all your start up tasks and run something like spybot to clear the memory resident stuff that is stopping your, must do, windows update running.

scracha
7th July 2011, 22:55
Just go pay your local PC dude $25/h
You pay peanuts...you get monkeys.

Make a backup of anything you want to keep and then copy it back after he's done with it

Only monkeys erase customer data. Competent "pc dude" charging many times monkey "pc dude" rate sually works out cheaper (with the correct tools and scripts, doing the above rarely takes anything like an hour).

I suppose you pay some local mechanic dude $25 an hour to service your car as well.

I have to say this, but have persevered with Visa on my lap top and it was worth it. I’ve even reactivated the legendary indexing service. Works really well now.
Download SP3 and run it. If you already have SP3, then kill all your start up tasks and run something like spybot to clear the memory resident stuff that is stopping your, must do, windows update running.

You're confused....there aint no Vista service pack 3. Reg and network tweaks aside, turning off as many services as possible, disabling visual effects and removing UAC makes Vista almost usable but to be honest, if a machine is beyond economical repair (a.k.a. have to spend more than 30 minutes on it) then reinstalling it is normally the best course of action (for most home PC's) as there are often dozens upon dozens of bolloxed up files/settings. If going to the trouble of reinstalling, then why not put on a better OS (Win 7) if it's available (and that's a big if) ?

Spybot is more of a PITA than a help these days.

YellowDog
7th July 2011, 23:08
aha... You're right, I was confused. No SP3.

30 minutes versus a reload is not a reasonable argument. Getting a PC up and running from scratch takes a long time.

Vista works fine for me. Took 2 years to get that way and if I had the time I would have loaded a clean Win7.

Now I don't need to. All good :yes:

Gremlin
8th July 2011, 02:15
Won't update....is eight firmware updates behind. it is unbranded, unlocked and definatly legit phone......it hangs ,locks up,freezes....actually it does what windows does barr blue screen of death!!! shuts programs,apps down for shits and giggles...it actually does lots of other funky things too...but they only happen once...so I've decided to call them quirks!!
Are you updating the firmware via Ovi Suite?

Grasshopperus
8th July 2011, 13:24
You pay peanuts...you get monkeys.

Only monkeys erase customer data. Competent "pc dude" charging many times monkey "pc dude" rate sually works out cheaper (with the correct tools and scripts, doing the above rarely takes anything like an hour).

I suppose you pay some local mechanic dude $25 an hour to service your car as well.

Doing basic IT shit liking installing an OS is monkey work. Especially since much time will be spent doing stuff like copying, rebooting and updating all of which don't require someone to actually pay attention to what's happening minute-to-minute.

Maybe only monkeys erase customer data but only idiots trust that it couldn't happen to them.

This basic home user IT stuff is work that a teenager could do and would be happy to receive $25/hr for doing it.

I wouldn't pay my mechanic $25/hr because mechanicing has lots of other costs like a workshop lease and tools but also because they're working on something a lot more valuable and if they fuck it up it might result in physical harm coming my way (if the brakes fail for example).

Home user stuff == commodity service nowadays

Gremlin
8th July 2011, 16:16
I dunno.... I've seen machines that somehow have 2-3 OS's on one PC, 2 on one partition, 1 on another, somehow overlayed with each other :confused:

Weirdest problems several of us had never seen... so it's not quite the easiest thing in the world to install an OS if you manage to choose every option wrong. Easy for those that do know what they're doing obviously... boring as sin tho.

cowpoos
8th July 2011, 21:59
Are you updating the firmware via Ovi Suite?

yes...tryed pc suite and nokia software updater [the one the vodafone people use]...

Nadda....I did how ever read lots of complaints on nokia forums in europe today....made me feel heaps better...I'm not the worst off by any streach of the imagination....its still a shit phone though....I'll learn...I get a HTC or Iphone next.

cowpoos
8th July 2011, 22:06
I wouldn't pay my mechanic $25/hr because mechanicing has lots of other costs like a workshop lease and tools but also because they're working on something a lot more valuable and if they fuck it up it might result in physical harm coming my way (if the brakes fail for example).

Home user stuff == commodity service nowadays

I suppose it depends on your perspective....I wouldn't pay someone more than $25 an hour...because I can do it myself...but I would pay someone $80 plus to sort me dam computer out because...I obviously can't...and you probally think I'm a muppet because I can't...but on the otherside...I think your a muppet for paying someone to work on your car for more than that....because to me...it all very logical and simple.

Horses for courses.

But the real point you need to know....is Scracha is always right....because often the sod is hardly ever wrong....takes a while to get over it...but ou will eventually!!

scracha
9th July 2011, 19:12
otherside...I think your a muppet for paying someone to work on your car for more than that....because to me...it all very logical and simple.

No way man...cars and motorcycles are like dark magic or voodoo or some shit. If I turn the key and it doesn't start im straight on the moby to the AA. The number of times in my yoof I spent hours and hours working on bikes, only to f#$k things up and make the bill even worse (cross threaded sparkplugs, etc). Used to get narked when my mates could in 2 hours what took me erm....2 nights but then I realised a man's gotta know his limitations. Ask anyone at the track just how useless I am at spannering and it's certainly not for want of trying.

You know what they say....stick to what you (like) know.

The pub beckons