PDA

View Full Version : Team Metalform Racing - Nationals Round 1

nicko
12th December 2003, 12:30
<P class=MsoNormal><B><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Team Metalform Racing 6-7 December 2003 – Nationals Round 1 @ Pukekohe</SPAN></B>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">The ‘Big Guns’ were all out in force at the opening round of the 2004 nationals held at Pukekohe, we headed out for what turned out to be some of the best racing (and one of the best run events) we’ve competed at for a while. Big ups to the AMCC &amp; all involved in putting on a meeting that sets the standard for the national series, the marshals &amp; organisers all did fantastic jobs, and the riders didn’t let the standard drop. Team Metalform is treating this nationals as a learning curve but at the same time hope to get some good results along the way. We’re competing in all 6 rounds of the nationals which take in the 3 North Island &amp; 3 South Island Tracks. One down – five to go.</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Nick Odermatt &nbsp;&nbsp;#80 600 Sports Production</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">It’s been a year since I raced the first round of the 2003 nationals on my 98 GSXR600, last year was an interesting introduction to nationals racing, I had some good dices with the other riders lapping me and my best lap time for the meeting was a 1.06. A year on, more race experience under my belt, a new bike and I’ve come along way. We had a big field of 22 600’s which meant some good tussles right across the board, my goal for the weekend was to get down to 1.02 laps. I couldn’t get out to Friday practice and on Saturday practice I qualified with a 1.03 to place 11<SUP>th</SUP> on the grid for the Sunday. No racing for me on the Saturday afternoon so had a relaxing time milling round the pits &amp; checking out the afternoon races. </SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Sunday, woke to rain – of course. I threw on a set of wets for the scrub in session but a dry line was already forming in a lot of places so came in after 4 laps to preserve the tyres. The road tread Rennsports went back on and I got ready for my first race. The grid was bunched quite close together so you were at the mercy of the guys in front of you when getting off the line, had an average start and found myself dicing with Derek McAdam on a new CBR for most of the race. A rider got spat off at Castrol which bought the ambulance out and the race red flagged, as we hadn’t completed 75% of the race we had to run the remaining 3 laps 5 minutes later. Had a much better start and on the last lap passed Carey Briar into the hairpin only to hit neutral coming out and having him take the position back, I followed him over the finish line to come home 8<SUP>th</SUP>. Turns out that the last lap was my fastest for the weekend (even with hitting neutral) with a 1.02.5 - goal achieved!</SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Second race was the 20 lapper, not such a good start again getting bunched up into turn one. Settled into a rhythm and spent the entire race dicing again with McAdam and Gary Cunningham (Gaz) on another GSXR. I had them each lap under brakes at the hairpin but was struggling with getting on the gas over the hill and they’d get close or pass me there each time. Final lap and I was ahead of McAdam &amp; behind Gaz, into the hairpin and tried a late braking manoeuvre thinking I was Rossi on a 125, Gaz had the same late braking idea and I ended up getting past him but then washing out the front end and coming down while trying to tip her in (mental note – don’t use another rider as a braking marker). Picked up the bike and finished the race and only ended up losing the one place to McAdam. </SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">I’ve ended up sitting 11<SUP>th</SUP> on points, bit disappointed to not be in top 10 but still 5 rounds to go and I’m happy I dropped over 3 seconds on last years best by reaching my 1.02 laptime goal. Who knows, keep that improvement up and I’ll be doing 59’s next year!</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Mike Smith</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"> #44 Production Superbike.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN>&nbsp;
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">With the engine rebuilt from the clutch blow-up and my improving lap times at this track each time I have been there I was looking forward to a good showing amongst the top riders in this National round.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN>&nbsp;
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">I have now been racing for one year two months and have completed 18 race meetings of various grades. Progress has been moving forward without pushing too fast and I have had very few tumbles, in fact the falls I have had have not been in an actual race. Tell a lie one was at Paeroa in the first race.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">On the Friday practice it was as if I had not ridden a bike for the last 10 years, I was all over the track and could not hit an apex with a laser guided missile or in my case a blue R1.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Getting to the track early on Saturday I fitted new tyres ready for the first practice / qualifying. I went a little better but still only manage a 1:02.175 a time I have been completing with little effort up until now. I say this because I was trying hard but again I had to compensate for the fact that my lines were to say the least erratic. Second practice and a slower time so not the start to the Nationals I was hoping for.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Race one start and I got away to a good one at least for the first 30 metres as I found Ray Clee had not and I was very close to ending his weekend something that might have upset the guy seeing he finished the weekend with a second and a first. Two laps down and the chain breaks so end of race one. I tell you with the amount of money I spend on this bloody bike you would not think a thing could go wrong but that has been far from the case lately.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Race two and all I can say is I managed to hold up the back end of the bunch and come home 13<SUP>th</SUP> with very average lap times.&nbsp; On the Tuesday prior I had come down with some flu type thing that knock me for six and even though I thought I felt better I just could not get going on the weekend. I only managed the times I did because the bike is so fast thanks to Tim at Haldanes for producing a great motor for me.</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Big thanks as always to our sponsor and supporters. </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Mike Smith</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">. </SPAN>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Team Metalform Racing would like to thank the following for their support. </SPAN>
<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" align=center><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Metalforming Technologies, Il Woo Industries, Pacific Direct Lines, Carters, Corporate </SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">Design</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma">, Haldane Motorcycles, Pacific Freight Management, Waikato Sandblasting Services, Armour Linings, Fredco Motors, Metzeler Tyres, FFM Helmets, GP Star Leathers, Nazran Gloves, Maxima Oils, Izumi Race Chains, Forma Boots</SPAN>
<P class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma"></SPAN>&nbsp;

750Y
12th December 2003, 13:52
thanks for another great read guys. congrats nick on your times. good luck for the next one.

LB
12th December 2003, 19:06
Good write up Nick and Mike. I'd wondered what the story was with your last lap in the TT Nick - now I know! That 600TT race was absolutely brilliant, right up there with the best WSB and Supersport races I've ever seen.

See you guys at Wanganui? Mike, Hamish will be there so you'll be safe from me!

wari
18th December 2003, 02:19
Yeah ... real sorry I missed it. I was planning to go n support you guys, but my brother turned up at my place on Friday night with a mate and a car trailer from down country wanting to pick up the AP5 I'd organised for him ... by the time I'd sorted him and sent him on his way it was mid avo and too late to head down to Puke. Sunday found me working :angry:

The well laid plans of mice and men eh ...

Anyway , good on you blokes and all the best for boxing day.

Motoracer
19th December 2003, 21:35
Ooops! I forgot I had taken this pic. Here it is anyway...

nicko
23rd December 2003, 11:45
Thanks guys and cheers for the pic motoracer.

If any of you guys are down at Wanganui feel free to come up and say g'day.

Have a good xmas and seeya at Wanganui unless you've got a bloody good excuse!

LB
23rd December 2003, 18:31
I'll be there!! Will come and see you in the pits just in case you or Mike need a hand into/out of your leathers.