PDA

View Full Version : Ducatti 400's

R6_kid
4th July 2005, 15:15
Just been into the bike shop and saw a Ducati Monster 400. Absolutely love it and at the price its listed i can afford it with a little bargaining. According to the attendant all frames are the same for the same model... so technically when i want a boost in power i can just bolt in the 700 or 900cc engine and be away laughing after a few certs and rego changes.

What i want to know is how reliable are later model ducatis and also how do they go price wise for parts?

MikeL
4th July 2005, 16:04
The only person I know with one of those is Andrew (KBer). Hasn't been on the forum for a while but I think he's still around... try sending him a PM

enigma51
4th July 2005, 16:14
Just been into the bike shop and saw a Ducati Monster 400. Absolutely love it and at the price its listed i can afford it with a little bargaining. According to the attendant all frames are the same for the same model... so technically when i want a boost in power i can just bolt in the 700 or 900cc engine and be away laughing after a few certs and rego changes.

What i want to know is how reliable are later model ducatis and also how do they go price wise for parts?
I have a mate with a 600 monster. the guy that owns the bike is how shall i say ....... slow but one of the faster guys I know had a spin on it and he said it is good and almost better than the gsxr 600 when it came to handling (Not power though).I would think that because it is a 400 in a 600 frame it should still handle pretty good but would not have the grunt. If you can rather go for the 600 you would be much happier

The 600 had a few teething problems in the begining around things falling off (Dacuti trade mark) but it seems to be good know so basically what Im saying it is a good bike, easy to ride (rather get a 600 if you can) and remember because it says ducati the service cost can be a bit high

Two Smoker
4th July 2005, 18:43
Ridden a Ducati 400... not the most powerful bike in the world (comparable to CBR250's and ZXR250's) very torquey... Lovely handling, but i wouldnt say better than a modern 600....

SixPackBack
4th July 2005, 19:09
don't do it dude. i owned a 750 97 model in aussie and did over 30000 k's on it.
it'll break your heart, mine had to have new valves and valve guides at 10000k's and it took three weeks to be serviced.

Sensei
4th July 2005, 19:40
he said it is good and almost better than the gsxr 600 when it came to handling (Not power though)

After riding every Ducati 400/600/750/900 they all feel the same in that you have to put alot of input into cornering fast & get over the front to make them turn . The only one with full Suspenion adjustment up front is the 900ss so you'll work for your money on the others to find a good feed back from them . They hold their price well Brought my 907IE for 12k sold for 10,500k 21/2 ys later Check Servise history is a must !

John
4th July 2005, 19:47
All I know is c4. has one, and I was riding behind him - and they hold bloody good lines - 50% better than the zxr.. And it sounds and looks hooot

c4.
4th July 2005, 21:19
Cheers John.
Bought the 400 at the time coz I couldn't find a 600.
Lovely round town bike, an can do good touring pace.
I'm still planing to upgrade to a new 620i in the not toooooo distant future.
Wanna buy a 2000 m400 12800kms Gareth???

SixPackBack
4th July 2005, 22:03
Cheers John.
Bought the 400 at the time coz I couldn't find a 600.
Lovely round town bike, an can do good touring pace.
I'm still planing to upgrade to a new 620i in the not toooooo distant future.
Wanna buy a 2000 m400 12800kms Gareth???

i said it first the bitch will break your heart......start burning hundred dollar notes, its quicker!

FROSTY
4th July 2005, 22:14

dude i gotta tell ya --on the shore is a 650 cagiva raptor --now that bike will eat ya duck for dinner

LB
5th July 2005, 05:34
I've not ridden a Ducati smaller than my 800 so I can't really comment personally.

Some I know who've owned/ridden the 600 reckon it's a bit underpowered. Apparently the 620 (fuel injected) is quite a bit punchier than the 600.

My suggestion would be to ride both the 400 and a 600/620 before you buy.

My two have been very reliable (apart from an ECU blowing on the M1000 but that's apparently quite unusual). Servicing costs slightly more than my R1150R used to cost, but what the hell.......

And I guess my 800 would get blown into the weeds by a good rider on a Japanese 600 - but I ride my bikes because I love them and love riding them, not because I want to be the fastest rider on the road.

Sparky Bills
5th July 2005, 09:18
, I ride my bikes because I love them and love riding them, not because I want to be the fastest rider on the road.

A very good attitude to have! :Punk:

Price of parts are not too bad. Most jap parts actually cost more. Depending on what you need of course.
If you did get a 400/600 or any DUC for that matter, the best thing to do first off is to gear them down one tooth on the front.
Then the power is very usable and smoother.

enigma51
5th July 2005, 09:32
As I said before very nice handling low on power but like someone has said good sound

R6_kid
5th July 2005, 11:04
from what i figured its a twin (no shit) so its gonna have more torque for hauling my ass but no where as much top end as the ZXR has. Essentially the duc will get me to 100km or its top speed at 150ish faster than the ZXR.

It sounds the shit, comparable to the next door neighbours firestorm with neptunes. As for the handling i wanted to get the monster coz of the riding position, i understand that it should make it a much different ride to the ZXR and GF's which i have been riding.

Essentially i would get a bigger powered bike but at the price i can get the 600/900 for i would be looking at a GSXR thou anyway and atm im only gonna have about $6000-7000 max to spend on my next bike.

R6_kid
5th July 2005, 11:05
dude i gotta tell ya --on the shore is a 650 cagiva raptor --now that bike will eat ya duck for dinner

and how the fuck am i sposed to find and afford that? :weird: :rofl:

R6_kid
5th July 2005, 11:59
k... just checked the net.

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/my2005/comparison.jhtml?first_id=800&second_id=803&modelName=MS4R-05&family=monster&part=comparison&x=116&y=5

if you look down at the horsepower it claims 44hp on the 400. Therefore it should be similarly fast to the ZXR right? Only thing i can think is losing power in the gearing through the gear box possibly? Not an engineer so someones gonna have to explain exactly why the ZXR should be faster despite having the same power.

N4CR
5th July 2005, 12:32
Because ZXR's are Kawasaki, therefore are faster than everything else :lol:

Yeah the monster sounded blaaardy mint to me ay!

P.S I had a chat to someone who can import them from japan for 6k....

John
5th July 2005, 12:42
Because ZXR's are Kawasaki, therefore are faster than everything else :lol:

Yeah the monster sounded blaaardy mint to me ay!

P.S I had a chat to someone who can import them from japan for 6k....
GO BACK TO SLEEP HOMO...

The ducati is got a completely different delivery - if I were you I wouldnt really jump to one - go for a 95' ZX6R, or 7R now thats a bike that wont dissapoint..

R6_kid
5th July 2005, 13:58
already looked at the older kwaka range but i cant find one with anything less than 50-60k on the clock.

Bonez
5th July 2005, 19:38
already looked at the older kwaka range but i cant find one with anything less than 50-60k on the clock.They're probably as reliable as a Ducati with 20,000ks up :devil2:

LB
6th July 2005, 04:19
If you did get a 400/600 or any DUC for that matter, the best thing to do first off is to gear them down one tooth on the front.
Then the power is very usable and smoother.
Agree totally - both my bikes have had a 14-tooth front sprocket since their 1,000km service. It makes them much more rideable than with the standard 15-tooth.

Jonty
6th July 2005, 09:46
already looked at the older kwaka range but i cant find one with anything less than 50-60k on the clock.

Not sure what style of bike your after, but my CBR600F means you don't have your ass up around your ears and is quick enough and if your bloody lucky you'll find a sub 50K bike around for 6 -7.5K. Without having a rode the Ducati 400 I would suspect the CBR 600 would have the goods on them :yes:

Sparky Bills
7th July 2005, 09:13
Compare this...

Ducati indicator: $35
Honda indicator: $135!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What more can i say????????????

zadok
7th July 2005, 09:47
A work colleague of mine has an M600 and can't wait to get rid of it. He finds it hasn't got enough grunt. i'll tell him about dropping a tooth on the front cog.

SixPackBack
7th July 2005, 12:31
Compare this...

Ducati indicator: $35
Honda indicator: $135!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What more can i say????????????

Thats more of an indication for the ducati's likely hood of touching the ground!

Sparky Bills
7th July 2005, 12:53
Thats more of an indication for the ducati's likely hood of touching the ground!

Now do you really believe that?

Toast
7th July 2005, 23:18
Gareth if you've got $7k, go for an RF900, zx6r, cbr6, older GSXR600 or 750 (with change)...unless you really love the Ducati for some reason. Stay Jap until you win lotto mate.

SixPackBack
8th July 2005, 07:09
Now do you really believe that?

Sorry Sparky.....i loved my duke more than any bike before or since, but shit it was cursed. Cost me a fortune in repairs......and i treated it real nice.....

Ducati boys i knew in oz used to say it was a friday bike.