PDA

View Full Version : Engineered timber floor installers?

Hellzie
5th July 2011, 13:40
Anyone know a good installer for Engineered Timber floors? Looking at a pre-finished 21mm engineered european oak floor to be glued onto existing particle board. Or a floating floor is the alternative if I can be convinced it's better.

Need a good installer based in Auckland.

Latte
5th July 2011, 13:44
Make sure you get a good installer. We had a 'proffesional' do our upstairs living/kitchen/hallway. and I did the downstairs rumpus/hallway. I think the installer shaved down the locking sections on a few parts to get it to fit easier, but cant confirm it.

2 years on and the upstairs "pulls apart" in certain places on the floor (have to kind of 'kick' it back together every few weeks), and bunches up near the doorways (ridges along the joins between each piece). Downstairs doesn't have these issues (and is 80-90% as "tricky" with doorways, funny angles etc) Only did the downstairs as we had blown the budget and needed to save money.

This was a floating floor btw.

Hellzie
5th July 2011, 13:56
EEEeeeeeks, and did they not give you a warranty??

It's hard to decide whether to glue or float, and whether to do it ourselves or get someone to do it 'professionally' for warranty reasons...

Laava
5th July 2011, 17:55
It is pretty easy to do and I would go with the gluing unless it is over conc. To do it properly ,you will need to remove the skirtings and with a small-tooth saw, cut the door architraves up enough to fit the flooring under. This will be easier than trying to scribe the flooring around the architraves. Then reinstall skirtings. How much a m2 is it?

Hellzie
6th July 2011, 09:53
That be the biggest problem - it's quite expensive at $160 per m2 so don't wanna screw it up....

Laava
6th July 2011, 20:02
You could do it in recycled rimu for that price, or kauri.

JimO
6th July 2011, 21:46
You could do it in recycled rimu for that price, or kauri.

yea but it would still need finishing/coating

SPman
7th July 2011, 16:15
Jeez - you could do it in selected Jarrah over here, and still be $20/m2 better off!

must finish pulling up the tiles in the kitchen and sand and finish the Jarrah flooring underneath.....

Laava
7th July 2011, 19:14
yea but it would still need finishing/coating

No, that would include sanding and polyurethane. excl labour to lay tho.

Grasshopperus
7th July 2011, 21:55
How is this different from a veneer? What makes it 'engineered'? I've seen pairs of jeans described as engineered. Way to water-down the word.

Ocean1
7th July 2011, 22:12
How is this different from a veneer? What makes it 'engineered'? I've seen pairs of jeans described as engineered. Way to water-down the word.

Designer jeans?

When I were a nipper "designing" was not something some failed art major oik in the rag trade got involved with.

ellipsis
7th July 2011, 22:46
...38 years in the trade of building and learning more every day about wood and technology, lends me to comment. If you want a faultless job, ask the people who supply you the 'engineered stuff', if they have a 'faultless fixer' of said, 'shit', or could recommend one. You then have the joy and knowledge of knowing that it is fixed by a pro...always remembering that , if you can only pay peanuts, you will only get monkeys...

...the best application of the 'engineered product', i have seen. have been done by carpet layers...i can only suggest talking to someone in that game, to find out who the good guys are...or do it yourself...its all in the preparation and meticulous adhering to the rules of whatever system you use for fixing it...if its your own project you can lay it with all the love it deserves ...and use LOTS of glue....

BMWST?
7th July 2011, 22:57
...38 years in the trade of building and learning more every day about wood and technology, lends me to comment. If you want a faultless job, ask the people who supply you the 'engineered stuff', if they have a 'faultless fixer' of said, 'shit', or could recommend one. You then have the joy and knowledge of knowing that it is fixed by a pro...always remembering that , if you can only pay peanuts, you will only get monkeys...

....and use LOTS of glue....

or NOT depending on the recomendations...LOTS of glue aint necessarily good

ellipsis
7th July 2011, 23:15
...but it makes yer feel good...

Laava
9th July 2011, 10:26
Speaking of which! I have just finished doing an overlay rimu floor and have this left over. I can put you onto a good supplier of used or re-machined rimu and Kauri from around $110-130m2 in Mangere area
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Carpet-tiles-flooring/Floorboards/auction-390514340.htm