PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki looks to move R&D inland to avoid tsunamis

Bob
8th July 2011, 00:05
According to the Nikkei Business Daily, Suzuki is looking to move ‘several coastal facilities’ inland, to avoid damage from possible tsunamis.

Their research facility is to move to an alternative site in Hamamatsu – where Suzuki’s main factory is located. Other facilities may move ‘in two to three years’.

Motorcycle engine production may move out of Hamamatsu to another facility, as part of plans to spread out the location of Suzuki’s domestic facilities, most of which are currently located in the central Tokai region – a potential high risk earthquake region.

jaffaonajappa
8th July 2011, 00:22
hehehe.
At some stage the japs will better utilise cheaper production areas...Like Beijing, Mumbai, and Milwauke.

Oh wait a minute..

ellipsis
8th July 2011, 00:25
...i thought their plant Hyosung in Korea handled a lot of their R&D........./...

Brian d marge
8th July 2011, 01:02
The funny thing is , all round the coast of Japan there are stone with ancient writing on them saying dont build your house below this point ,,, because this is where the last Tsunami reach

but did they listen .....ohhh no

Stephen

Usarka
8th July 2011, 07:32
A journalist visited the Suzuki factory after the last tsunami and reported the devastation and the junk strewn across the factory floor. The paper had to retract the story when Suzuki officials advised the tsunami didn't actually reach the factory.

Bob
9th July 2011, 00:17
...i thought their plant Hyosung in Korea handled a lot of their R&D........./...

Assuming you are not taking the pee... Hyosung used to have a tie-in with Suzuki, in that Suzuki provided technical skill etc and Hyosung built the things.

That agreement ended some time ago, but as you will have noticed, Hyosungs have a tendency to look rather like SV650s. The engine is most definitely derived from the SV's 649cc, v-twin mill.

mulletman
13th July 2011, 23:44
The funny thing is , all round the coast of Japan there are stone with ancient writing on them saying dont build your house below this point ,,, because this is where the last Tsunami reach

but did they listen .....ohhh no

Stephen

Yup saw that on TV as well , my thoughts exactly.