PDA

View Full Version : Road helmet off road?

Zadkiel
8th July 2011, 15:03
I'm keen to try out some trail riding in the near future. I'll probably be hiring a bike, but to save costs I was thinking of simply using my on-road helmet. Are there any major disadvantages to doing this?

Ender EnZed
8th July 2011, 15:12
I'm keen to try out some trail riding in the near future. I'll probably be hiring a bike, but to save costs I was thinking of simply using my on-road helmet. Are there any major disadvantages to doing this?

Not that I'm aware of, I've always used road helmets off road. I think most of the differences are to do with all the extra mud getting thrown up and to avoid fogging up at inopportune moments. With lower speeds and shorter periods between rests the additional air flow isn't the problem it would be on road.

clint640
8th July 2011, 15:49
No worries if it's just some casual riding. Biggest issue with a road helmet is fogging it up when things get physical. Pop the visor off & wear sunnys or safety glasses.

Cheers
Clint

Crisis management
8th July 2011, 19:09
What Clint said, if your near Hillsborough I have a very basic medium size helmet your welcome to borrow... looks like a helmet and will probably not damage your brain too much?

Has mildly gay pink colours in places!

Padmei
8th July 2011, 19:49
What Clint said, if your near Hillsborough I have a very basic medium size helmet your welcome to borrow... looks like a helmet and will probably not damage your brain too much?

Has mildly gay pink colours in places!

Hey I grew up in Mt Roskill (RichardsonRd) & there was absolutely no mildly gay pink colours when I was there!!!:Police:

I ride with a road helmet & as the others say only a bit foggy when going slow,heaps warmer on the travel sections tho. I'm gonna run a strip of black tape along the top of the visor to block out a bit of the low sun this time of year

NordieBoy
8th July 2011, 20:33
Get an open face for the Steve McQueen look.

Woodman
8th July 2011, 20:37
Road helmets fine, just get out and ride.

Ricardo S
8th July 2011, 20:43
have u considered the newer dual-sports / adventure sort of models?

Crisis management
8th July 2011, 21:03
Hey I grew up in Mt Roskill (RichardsonRd) & there was absolutely no mildly gay pink colours when I was there!!!:Police:

Well, the area's improved since then......:bleh:

How's your homophobia? :msn-wink:

Woodman
8th July 2011, 21:08
How's your homophobia? :msn-wink:

I have seen him riding a DR.

NordieBoy
8th July 2011, 21:28
I have seen him riding a DR.

Getting airborne on one too...

Padmei
9th July 2011, 09:25
And funnily enough the DRs did come out in ghey 80s purple & yellow.

OMG I'm coming outof the closet- oh the lite & colours- it's.. it's... magical:eek:

wysper
9th July 2011, 14:53
I think some of the dual sport helmets or adventure helmets will give you better peripheral vision. Some have peaks which might help with sun when riding.

For my very brief experience with dual sport I just used my Raid II. It was fine.

warewolf
9th July 2011, 16:12
I think some of the dual sport helmets or adventure helmets will give you better peripheral vision. Some have peaks which might help with sun when riding.I thought that helmets were not allowed to restrict your peripheral vision?

Just do it.

Two problems I experience off-roading in a road helmet: they're bloody hot in slow hard-slog trail riding, and they get filthy muddy/sandy/salty which seems fine at the time but not later on-road. Yuk. I use my road helmets when adventuring, but I choose the time and place due to the above.

Crisis management
9th July 2011, 16:58
And funnily enough the DRs did come out in ghey 80s purple & yellow.

I have to confess to having owned one of the purple framed, grenading starter clutch monstrosities, a life changing experience!

Back to the original question:
If you are hiring a bike that probably means at the Sandpit (Woodhill) in which case the gear is only an extra $20 for everything, do that rather than getting your road helmet well sweated up.
Another thing to be aware of is the requirement to go through a basic dirt riding instruction course before they will hire you the bike, run by Tony and he's is a good teacher.

wysper
9th July 2011, 18:44
I thought that helmets were not allowed to restrict your peripheral vision?

I wouldn't say road helmets limit your peripheral vision to any great extent. You can see the edges of them. My understanding was off road helmets were even 'wider'.

warewolf
9th July 2011, 23:16
You can see the edges of them. Not with your peripheral vision you can't - only if you look to the side.

thepom
10th July 2011, 09:32
I use my shoei open face off road and its fine but it takes some cleaning when I,m home to get the dust and sweat out,also no peak is a problem when the sun is low but black tape across the top of the visor will fix that....

wysper
11th July 2011, 09:08
Not with your peripheral vision you can't - only if you look to the side.

bugger, now I am going to have to put my helmet back on and check.