PDA

View Full Version : Site upgrade

SpankMe
12th December 2003, 16:54
After much work and frustration, I have upgraded the site to vBulletin 3. There is still stuff to be done, but everything that is here should be working. If you do encounter any problems, please let me know.

I am now gonna go and have a little lie down. :sleep:

Kiwi
12th December 2003, 17:25
Cool Spank
:bigthumb:

James Deuce
12th December 2003, 18:17
Love the new look.

curious george
12th December 2003, 18:29
Yup. Looks great. Well done Spanky.
Hey, where's the smilies???

LB
12th December 2003, 18:43
Hi Spank me. Whew, it's quite different. It'll take me a while to get used to it (blonde y'know) but thanks very much for all the work you do on this site - it's a great site. Have talked two of my mates into joining very recently (scrosser and marcus).

Thanks again.

What?
13th December 2003, 09:19
Like it Spank. Especially the way it fits right on my screen.

Coldkiwi
13th December 2003, 10:47
Like it Spank. Especially the way it fits right on my screen.

word to the What?! :)
nice work spank!

riffer
13th December 2003, 11:56
Yeah, agreed. Some good and bad points in the new site.

At home if I'm lazy and viewing it on the lappy in the lounge in 800 x 600.

I really like how all the message can be seen now without having to scroll.

Minor niggles would be that the type does seem quite large and so you can't see too many messages, however on the PC in the study its fine and on my work PC its cool too.

Haven't tested it yet with Opera 7 but the VBulletin 2 software didn't work with Opera and haven't yet tested it with Konqueror or Safari either. Damn having so many different OSes - guess I'll just have to stick with XP for KB website!

Another minor niggle is the colour of the Vbulletin 2 is much nicer on the eye but clashes a bit with the black and yellow of the Kiwibiker branding - minor bitch though...

All in all, an excellent upgrade. Thanks a lot!

wkid_one
13th December 2003, 12:55
Look good guys....well done

MrMelon
13th December 2003, 15:19
Looks good, I can finally post from mozilla firebird :D
yay

Having to open up an ie window whenever I wanted to reply sucked.

PZR
13th December 2003, 19:36
A nice looking improvement to an excellant site. Well done.
Couple of questions though. I cannot get to the smilies on the right side, the drag bar is not there any more. How do I get to the smilies?
And to scroll to a following page I have to go all the way back up to the top of the thread each time rather than find the page numbers at the bottom of the page. Can you put them at the bottom as well as the top of the page?

SpankMe
13th December 2003, 19:50
How do I get to the smilies?
Which editor type you using? There are three.

And to scroll to a following page I have to go all the way back up to the top of the thread each time rather than find the page numbers at the bottom of the page.
Page links are at the top and bottom of each page.

PZR
13th December 2003, 20:20
Which editor type you using? There are three.
I do not know what the editor is. Where do I find that?

Page links are at the top and bottom of each page.
Doh!, sorry cant see for looking, still getting used to it

merv
14th December 2003, 19:13
Just got back from a few days away and I'm finding this new version of the site hard to look at but I guess I'll get used to it. Must say I preferred the pics imbedded allowing simple scrolling down and viewing, now you gotta click on the thumbnail and open them separately or have I not found the way of turning pics back on again yet?

SPman
14th December 2003, 21:59
Looks good, I can finally post from mozilla firebird :D
yay Having to open up an ie window whenever I wanted to reply sucked.

Aah, so it wasn't just my computer! So I can go back to Mozilla now, can I?

k14
15th December 2003, 06:46
I seem to be having problems with mozilla. It doesnt seem to be saving my login, i have to put in my username and password every time i return to the site. It used to be sweet with the old version of the forums.

Has anyone else had any problems like this??

wkid_one
15th December 2003, 06:54
Yep - killed me on Mozilla too. DIdn't work on Opera either, but that may have been my settiings

Antallica
15th December 2003, 09:51
It's working great for me on Mozilla 1.5a

Still getting used to it, but damn good work SpankMe :D :D

SpankMe
15th December 2003, 10:23
:rockon: :2thumbsup :p :buggerd:

k14
15th December 2003, 10:33
It is sweet to browse the forum, but i cant stay logged in when i exit mozilla and then come back onto the forums. Must be something to do with the cookie settings.

SpankMe
15th December 2003, 10:39
I closed and restarted Mozilla and I'm still logged on. :confused:

Motu
15th December 2003, 11:36
S'ok,but my computer at home can't handle it too well,some sort of grafics overload when I hit post reply.So I can't post from home - ain't you guys lucky!

And so how does this quick reply thing work? Both my cumputers say.....PostID;0....so,what does that mean?

Hey - I gotta scroll in this reply mode,but not in the read forums

SpankMe
15th December 2003, 11:53
There are three diferent editors you can choose from when posting. One is just a text editor for those with graphical problems. Go to the "User CP" to pick one.

In fact it would be a good idea for everyone to go through all the things in the "User CP (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/usercp.php)" and familiarize themselves with what configuration changes you are able to make.

matthewt
15th December 2003, 12:07
Hi, what do the stars under people's name mean ??

SpankMe
15th December 2003, 12:13
They're related to post count.

1 → 5 Silver stars, then..
1 → 5 Gold stars, then..
1 → 5 Flashy X thingys

riffer
15th December 2003, 19:31
Hey SpankMe,

will the gallery be coming back soon?

Or am I just to dumb to find it on the new site ? :confused2

Hoon
15th December 2003, 19:37
Is there anyway to make the user info box a bit smaller (i.e. the box above with name avatar etc)? I tried the alternative "Display Modes" but they didn't make any difference.

The reason I ask is because it seems a waste of real estate since you have the image/name on the left and squashed up text on the right with a whole lotta nothin in the middle. One of my gripes is having to scroll down pages and pages of avatars, sigs etc just to read a one line reply.

mangell6
15th December 2003, 20:01
I goes aways fors sa week and everything changes . . . .

Looks cool :bigthumb:

Celtic6 - I have used Opera7 all the time and mozilla 1.3-1.5 both with no problems at all considering that I am on a dialup connection.

Off no to look up UserCP as instructed :whistle:

SpankMe
19th December 2003, 19:20
it seems a waste of real estate since you have the image/name on the left and squashed up text on the right with a whole lotta nothin in the middle. One of my gripes is having to scroll down pages and pages of avatars, sigs etc just to read a one line reply.
I have now set it up so you can choose to display posts the old vB2 way of having the user info on the left. Just go to edit options in your User CP.

MacD
19th December 2003, 20:33
I have now set it up so you can choose to display posts the old vB2 way of having the user info on the left.

Thanks, I think having the user info on the left makes it easier to read down through threads, but the VB3 way looks a bit more balanced. I'll stick with useability for now.

:cool:

brockhaus
30th December 2003, 01:12
I really like your great work.
Very nice website to get in contact with other motorcyclists. Even foreigners are welcome :-)
cu in NZ,
Marcus

Antallica
7th January 2004, 07:09
The drop down menus (Quick Links, Search etc.) don't work for me anymore, tried on Moz & IE.

SpankMe
7th January 2004, 07:46
I upgraded vBulletin last night. I see where the problem is, I will fix it when I get home tonight.

Antallica
7th January 2004, 07:59
Works here at work, oh well.

SpankMe
7th January 2004, 19:26
The drop down menus (Quick Links, Search etc.) don't work for me anymore, tried on Moz & IE.
Let me know if your still having this problem.

SpankMe
8th January 2005, 12:50
Just upgraded to vB 3.0.4. Let me know if any problems.

And just after I spent the last three days updating the new code with all the customization I've done to the site, Jelsoft release vB 3.0.5. :argh: :argh: :argh:

toads
8th January 2005, 13:30
thanks so much spankme, without the hard yards you do we would all have different lives, very addictive site, cheers

dangerous
8th January 2005, 13:56
thanks so much spankme, without the hard yards you do we would all have different lives, very addictive site, cheers
I second that motion too SM, awesome shit you do round here :2thumbsup :first: :second: :third:

Blakamin
8th January 2005, 14:06
I third that!!!
dunno what I would do otherwise... prolly converse with people.....

mangell6
8th January 2005, 14:44

I fourth that. I knew something had changed, couldn't figure out what.

Al
8th January 2005, 15:10
Yeah, thanks for providing everything you do SM! :not:

Al

Storm
8th January 2005, 15:48
Yeah we al love you SM for providing us with something to do when the weathers crap !! Cheers mate

Ghost Lemur
8th January 2005, 16:13
Motion carried.

SpankMe you're a legend. :first:

Racey Rider
8th January 2005, 17:51
Anyone noticed some of the smilielys have changed. Like the embarrassed face has now turned into :o .

thehollowmen
8th January 2005, 18:52

Try clearing your cache...
just had this problem on my website too...

SpankMe
8th January 2005, 18:56
Anyone noticed some of the smilielys have changed. Like the embarrassed face has now turned into :o .

:Oops: fixed.

Riff Raff
8th January 2005, 18:57
Thanks SM - I don't know how I would have coped without KB during the last few weeks of my recuperation. You're the bestest! :first:

avgas
8th January 2005, 18:58
yeh brill site SM. But i really should ride more often and spend less time here :2thumbsup

James Deuce
9th January 2005, 18:01
Just tried to upload some images, but can't as the gallery page is asking me to login. When I click login it takes me to the Forum list.

SpankMe
9th January 2005, 18:15
Fixed :o  

Biff
9th January 2005, 20:19
Aah, so it wasn't just my computer! So I can go back to Mozilla now, can I?

I've always used Firebird when accessing and posting on this site and never experienced any difficulties :spudwhat:

SpankMe
11th January 2005, 21:35
Upgrade to vB 3.0.5 completed. Logout problem should be fixed. Let me know if any problems.

gav
11th January 2005, 22:31
Seems sorted here, thanks for everything, great site :2thumbsup

SpankMe
9th May 2005, 20:25
Just upgraded to vB 3.0.7. Let me know if anything doesn't work.

Holy Roller
9th May 2005, 20:57
Just upgraded to vB 3.0.7. Let me know if anything doesn't work.
Still unable to post a new thread been a couple of weeks now as error message a per PM

Waylander
10th May 2005, 00:32
I'm back to where I was a few days ago. I can't post new threads in the regular forums. I either get that "page cannot be displayed" thing or a messege saying that the post is a duplicate yet when I check no duplicate. Not a big thing as I don't start many threads but just something that's a bit odd. Ofcours it may not be anything with the site for me for all I know it's something with my PC but I don't know enough to fix it myself.

The Tazman
10th May 2005, 00:57
I have never been able to get smiles and a while back all the moving ones stopped.

I am running a G3 mac with MS explorer 5.1

I know it's old but it was given to me and I can not afford a new one.

Can you help me Spank? or anyone else?

Thanks

Taz

PS why do some peoples posts come out wider than others??

The Tazman
10th May 2005, 01:20
ok found the :D 's

needed to up the editing to all singing and dancing.

But they still don't move on this computer. I am quite sure they did when I first came onto this site so not sure what I have done to stop them.

Any help would be very much appriciated

Cheers

Taz