PDA

View Full Version : Car tyre rotation?

awa355
10th July 2011, 13:52
Was reading an old car manual section on the correct pattern to rotate the car tyres to keep the wear pattern even.

Does anyone bother doing this these days? I always meant too but never did.

I can remember my late uncle jacking up his pride and joy ( EIP Velox), and shifting the wheels around. Later, I was told that once a wear pattern had started, it stayed that way for the life of the tyre.

Tyres being mostly Xplys in the 50 / 60's may have been a factor,

Mind you, he would always bring his caravan back from the beach at the end of summer. Jack it up on blocks, wash all the salt spray from underneath, prime, and give the chassis another coat of paint before storing it away for the winter.

Dont think too many people worry about such things these days.

hellokitty
10th July 2011, 14:02
Mind you, he would always bring his caravan back from the beach at the end of summer. Jack it up on blocks, wash all the salt spray from underneath, prime, and give the chassis another coat of paint before storing it away for the winter.

Dont think too many people worry about such things these days.

Awesome - I bought an old mini off a guy that used to take it apart and rust proof it - it was mint.

scumdog
10th July 2011, 14:06
Mostly nobody cares these days, everything is cheap - and disposable.

Few people take good care of their gear as most of the time they don't anticipate having it for very long...

Unlike in the 'olde days' when it was hard to get stuff like cars, they were expensive and you couldn't buy stuff at 'Zero deposit - 12 months interest-free' etc.

(Toddles off in well maintained mobility scooter while wearing thick glasses and an ear-horn...)

BMWST?
10th July 2011, 14:27
i used to swap my tyres front to back,but not from 1 side to another,my car used to wearrr the outsides of the fronts and insides of the rears,so swapping halfway through evened the wear out.The manufacturere recomended NOT rotating tyres but that would mean that tyres would wear out on the sides before the rest of the tyre had.Swapping them front to back evened the wear out,so they actually wore down to the wear marks before demolishing one edge.

pzkpfw
10th July 2011, 14:34
Last time I got tyres on my car, two new ones for the back, the tyre shop put them on the front and moved the front ones to the back. Didn't even ask me, but I recall from a previous visit they recommend that due to front wheel drive car. Makes sense to me, I guess, those tyres do the driving and the steering. So the tyres kind of get semi-rotated anyway.

(I think I tend to wear out two sets of front tyres per every set of rears; so sometimes the fronts get replaced and the rears just stay there.)

Kickaha
10th July 2011, 14:54
Last time I got tyres on my car, two new ones for the back, the tyre shop put them on the front and moved the front ones to the back. Didn't even ask me, but I recall from a previous visit they recommend that due to front wheel drive car. Makes sense to me, I guess, those tyres do the driving and the steering. So the tyres kind of get semi-rotated anyway.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/choosing/basics.html#tyres
Most tyre manufacturers recommend placing the tyres with the best grip and cornering power - new tyres - at the rear, whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. Fitting new tyres to the front can result in oversteer and loss of control.

sil3nt
10th July 2011, 15:03
Fitting new tyres to the front can result in oversteer and more fun at roundabouts.Fixed.

:whistle:

Hitcher
10th July 2011, 15:06
I like to rotate the tyres on my motorbike. However weather in recent weekends has put a bit of a stop to that.

awa355
10th July 2011, 15:22
I like to rotate the tyres on my motorbike. However weather in recent weekends has put a bit of a stop to that.

I used to rotate my bike tyres as well,, but trying to jam a wide rear tyre between the front forks can be a pain!!

Every 10,000 thou k's. F to R, R to front etc. Now I just leave the tyres as they are. :laugh:

pzkpfw
10th July 2011, 15:34
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/choosing/basics.html#tyres
Most tyre manufacturers recommend placing the tyres with the best grip and cornering power - new tyres - at the rear, whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. Fitting new tyres to the front can result in oversteer and loss of control.

Thanks for that. Will mention next time I'm at (same place I usually go for tyres) and see what they say.

Kickaha
10th July 2011, 15:37
It comes down to personal preference,I'd always fit to the front of mine as I'd rather have oversteer than understeer but for Joe Average apparently understeer is safer

Most car manufacturers supposedly dial there cars in for slight understeer

Now, this is really quite simple ,ok? Understeer works like this: you drive down the road , turn the wheel, but the car goes straight on, crashes into a tree and you die. OVERsteer works like this: you drive down the same bit of road, turn the wheel, but the back of the car comes round like this, and you go off the road, crash into a tree and you die. Now, oversteer is best, because you don't see the tree that kills you.

FJRider
10th July 2011, 15:41

harden up ... <_<

DrunkenMistake
10th July 2011, 17:49
harden up ... <_<

Lmao..

Im trying to work out what bike has the same tyre sizes front and back ?

FJRider
10th July 2011, 18:01
Lmao..

How to ... Rotate motorcycle tyres ...

1. Climb on.
2. Start engine.
3. Select 1st gear (with clutch engaged)
4. Release clutch ...
5. Engage higher gears at will (optional)

Wannabiker
10th July 2011, 18:01
A lot of modern tyres are now directional, meaning you cannot rotate them like "in the old days" (diagonally front to rear). Care must be taken by the tyre shop to fit the tyre to the rim in the correct orientation and side, so the tread runs in the right direction. Front to rear is now the best you can do.

Cars with Tyre pressure sensors (Peugot) do not like having only one tyre replaced, as the different circumference sets off the low pressure sensors.

FJRider
10th July 2011, 18:05
A lot of modern tyres are now directional, meaning you cannot rotate them like "in the old days" (diagonally front to rear). Care must be taken by the tyre shop to fit the tyre to the rim in the correct orientation and side, so the tread runs in the right direction. Front to rear is now the best you can do.

Wheel alighnment is easier and cheaper nowdays ... so tyre rotation is not so important ...

Kickaha
10th July 2011, 18:47
Cars with Tyre pressure sensors (Peugot) do not like having only one tyre replaced, as the different circumference sets off the low pressure sensors.

That could only happen with the ones that work off the ABS , if it has sensors in the wheel it makes no difference

Wheel alignment is easier and cheaper nowdays ... so tyre rotation is not so important ...

Rotation is still important for even wear, front's tend to wear the shoulders more, rears generally wear flatter

scumdog
10th July 2011, 18:56
Rotation is still important for even wear, front's tend to wear the shoulders more, rears generally wear flatter

Yep, noticed that sort of wear, often wondered if swapping wheels around would be a 'Good Thing' (tm)

Of course the F100 will look funny with 12" X 15" rims on the front...:doh::shutup:

p.dath
10th July 2011, 19:46
We have a front wheel drive, and the front tyres wear much faster than the rear tyres. So I like to have the tyres rotated front to back each service.

DrunkenMistake
10th July 2011, 19:57
A lot of modern tyres are now directional, meaning you cannot rotate them like "in the old days" .

Uhhhhhh Now I see,

I knew about Directional tyres as I have them and always have had them,
Was kinda like how the fuck to you rotate motorbike tyres lmao

warewolf
10th July 2011, 20:16
Most tyre manufacturers recommend placing the tyres with the best grip and cornering power - new tyres - at the rear, whether the car is front or rear wheel drive. Fitting new tyres to the front can result in oversteer and loss of control.As opposed to resulting in understeer and loss of control? I don't reckon I could save a major understeer event, but habitually cope with oversteer. I always thought it was better to have the best grip on your brake and steer axle??

As to rotation, that's what we did with our Isuzu Wizard. I did a bit of research and there was as much evidence for swapping sides as there was warnings against it. Bought 5 new tyres when we got it, figured they'd last ~50-60,000km, so rotated the tyres (including the spare) every 10,000km, that is, before any nasty uneven wear set in or the tread depths varied too much. Figured the best value was to wear them all down evenly, and with the spare included we'd always have a good spare. By the third change the tyres were all still uniform in depth and wear pattern. Virtually every vehicle we checked when shopping for ours, had uneven tyre wear.

The tyres that were on it when we bought it - well, there were 3 different types with wildly different tread depths. Not what you want on a 4x4. They were also a JDM-only size, so they went on trademe to some lucky bidder.

Kickaha
10th July 2011, 20:50
As opposed to resulting in understeer and loss of control? I don't reckon I could save a major understeer event, but habitually cope with oversteer. I always thought it was better to have the best grip on your brake and steer axle??

Theory goes that if the front loses traction most peoples reaction is to lift the throttle which normally lets the vehicle regain grip

Where as most people don't have a clue how to recover from loosing the back

As to rotation, that's what we did with our Isuzu Wizard. I did a bit of research and there was as much evidence for swapping sides as there was warnings against it. Bought 5 new tyres when we got it, figured they'd last ~50-60,000km, so rotated the tyres (including the spare) every 10,000km, that is, before any nasty uneven wear set in or the tread depths varied too much. Figured the best value was to wear them all down evenly, and with the spare included we'd always have a good spare. By the third change the tyres were all still uniform in depth and wear pattern. Virtually every vehicle we checked when shopping for ours, had uneven tyre wear.

Probably more important to do on 4WD than on most cars as 4WD get funny wear patterns if they're left on the front leading to vibration and noise problems although that does happen with FWD cars on the rear as well

Motu
10th July 2011, 22:40
Nearly all modern vehicles (less than 20 years old) are designed around frontal impact - they want it going straight ahead in a loss of traction situation,as the occupants are much more likely to survive. Going into a spin means a side,rear or roll over,all of which lead to more injury. Vehicle manufacturers,tyre manufacturers and law enforcement agencies all want the best tyres to the rear - it's all about the blame game.

From a service point of view I always put the best tyres on the drive axle,it's about the customer getting the best wear out of their tyres.

driftn
11th July 2011, 15:51
A lot of modern tyres are now directional, meaning you cannot rotate them like "in the old days" (diagonally front to rear)..

You will find, most tyre manufactures are moving away from directional and to assymetric, as they found its better to put the water into a channel and push it out rather than try pumping it out the side. Which in turn means they can also be rotated correctly.

I have found that the biggest killer of tyres is under inflation. people just dont check them often enough now days.

Should at least have your tyres checked by proffesionals every 5k and align every 10. Lukes rant done

awa355
11th July 2011, 16:09
You will find, most tyre manufactures are moving away from directional and to assymetric, as they found its better to put the water into a channel and push it out rather than try pumping it out the side. Which in turn means they can also be rotated correctly.

I have found that the biggest killer of tyres is under inflation. people just dont check them often enough now days.

Should at least have your tyres checked by proffesionals every 5k and align every 10. Lukes rant done

I agree about checking pressures more often.

Have to admitt, useing my 'eyecrometer,, I measure the height of each tyre from the ground to the rim as I walk up to the car. ( look the same, must be the same)

As for 'professionals' checking pressures for me, my steel toe cap does a better job than some of the kids employed in the local tyreshop.

Crasherfromwayback
11th July 2011, 16:26

HD's. Certain years FLSTF, FLSTC, FLHR etc etc...

Wannabiker
11th July 2011, 17:16
Perhaps I should have said orientation specific. The tyres recommended for my SV8 had chunkier tread on the inside to counter the wear form the negative camber on the independent rear. These tyres are fitted with an "inside" and "outside" so must be fitted to the rim correct way round, though non directional tread. (meaning they could be swapped from side-to-side)
I managed to keep the tyre wear even by occasionally "tru-ing them up" by turning the traction control off for a while. :yes:

Wife has directional tread on her Peugot. Tyres / wheels can only be moved front-to back on the same side.

Motu
11th July 2011, 17:40
HD's. Certain years FLSTF, FLSTC, FLHR etc etc...

...Motu's R65...

Crasherfromwayback
11th July 2011, 17:45
...Motu's R65...

3.50 X 18?

On a different note...I hear sad rumours that Cycle World Magazine may be coming to and end? I've got a couple more for you on the way.

driftn
11th July 2011, 18:44
Ok another crack at this. Yes! rotate, air pressures and have 2 wheel alignment checks a year to get the best life out of your tyres.

Kickaha
11th July 2011, 18:57

Totally agree, should do them once a month at least, it also gives the added benefit of reduced fuel consumption which is why California introduced this

On September 1, 2010, the California Air Resources Board’s (ARB’s) Tire Pressure Regulation took effect. The purpose of this regulation is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from vehicles operating with under inflated tires by inflating them to the recommended tire pressure rating. The regulation applies to vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or less. Automotive service providers must meet the regulation’s following requirements:

Check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service.

Indicate on the vehicle service invoice that a tire inflation service was completed and the tire pressure measurements after the service were performed.

Perform the tire pressure service using a tire pressure gauge with a total permissible error no greater than + two (2) pounds per square inch (psi).

Have access to a tire inflation reference that is current within three years of publication.

Keep a copy of the service invoice for a minimum of three years, and make the vehicle service invoice available to the ARB, or its authorized representative upon request.

warewolf
11th July 2011, 20:44
Theory goes that if the front loses traction most peoples reaction is to lift the throttle which normally lets the vehicle regain grip

Where as most people don't have a clue how to recover from loosing the backGood point. Actually had that conversation at work recently. I guess not everybody grew up driving RWD cars on dirt roads, or had a misspent youff.

Nearly all modern vehicles (less than 20 years old) are designed around frontal impact - they want it going straight ahead in a loss of traction situation,as the occupants are much more likely to survive. Going into a spin means a side,rear or roll over,all of which lead to more injury. Vehicle manufacturers,tyre manufacturers and law enforcement agencies all want the best tyres to the rear - it's all about the blame game.Very good point.

98tls
11th July 2011, 20:57
Just swapped mine on the ute over front to back,fwiw on my old ute with 17s was told to ignore the 30 pound thing and increase to 40 which i did with far better wear.