PDA

View Full Version : New PC woes

awa355
10th July 2011, 15:40
I have a new laptop and transferred some files across to the new PC, using a memory stick. The files, my motorcycle stories/history, Journals, etc had been written using Works Word Processor.

The new PC, has Windows 7, and it wont reconize the file format.

Is there a way of converting the Works files either before or after transferring? Thanks.

gwigs
10th July 2011, 15:45
Dont know how but there will be a way of doing it...Google is your friend...search for a program that will convert the files.

bogan
10th July 2011, 15:48
Try opening them in word. I think that is works' successor, however there have been many generation since works iirc, so might take a bit of luck!

Smokin
10th July 2011, 15:57
Download "Open Office"
Here (http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#tested-full)

It's free and 100% awesome

blackdog
10th July 2011, 16:08
Download "Open Office"

plus one...

The Everlasting
10th July 2011, 16:48
Download "Open Office"

Plus 2,it really is just as good as MS Office etc..

sil3nt
10th July 2011, 16:50
Open Office is shit. Don't waste time downloading it. It will completely fuck the formatting when you either open a word document or try to open a document created in open office in word.

If you want free use google docs.

But anyway Awa does this link help you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Your original post doesn't give much info so its hard to help.

ckai
10th July 2011, 19:48
I would have said open office or google docs. I've had both programs do some funky shit with formatting but I expected it, they're not office after all. But unless you're doing crazy formatted stuff (which shouldn't be on office anyway :) ) all you really need is the text at the end of the day. Well, that's me anyway.

awa355
10th July 2011, 21:00
Open Office is shit. Don't waste time downloading it. It will completely fuck the formatting when you either open a word document or try to open a document created in open office in word.

If you want free use google docs.

But anyway Awa does this link help you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315757

Your original post doesn't give much info so its hard to help.

Thanks for the link. I have read it and will follow it through tomorrow. My old laptop has Works installed and that is what I wrote my diaries in.

The new notebook has wordpad and Microsoft Office 2010 installed. M Office will open it in an alien language,( Martian, I think)

Really, I just want a simple programme that allows me to write and insert a picture with the text wrapped around it where suited. I have Open Office on the old laptop and find the 'Office' programmes far too cluttered with features i will never use.

Mom
10th July 2011, 21:38
plus one...

Open office could have saved my bacon a few years ago.

The files, my motorcycle stories/history, Journals, etc had been written using Works Word Processor.

You are a dinosaur!!!! Just like meeeeeeeeeeeee :love:

How the hell have you managed to stay connected with such outdated software?

MS Works is basically Word, all you need is how to upgrade it, over and over, and over and still keep it. Do you have hard copy? Bet you do.

Go for upgrade, if it fails, and you have hard copy, I may be convinced to retype it for you into a more modern program. Got to take care of us dinosaurs afterall!

awa355
11th July 2011, 06:27
Open office could have saved my bacon a few years ago.

You are a dinosaur!!!! Just like meeeeeeeeeeeee :love:

How the hell have you managed to stay connected with such outdated software?

MS Works is basically Word, all you need is how to upgrade it, over and over, and over and still keep it. Do you have hard copy? Bet you do.

Go for upgrade, if it fails, and you have hard copy, I may be convinced to retype it for you into a more modern program. Got to take care of us dinosaurs afterall!

Dinosaur?? Geez! I'm older than them. Infact I was born old, ( and that's from my mother!). My old laptop is only 3 yrs old so i must've used an old hard copy. Still have the Works discs.

awa355
11th July 2011, 06:56
Sil3nt,,, Your link worked, I followed the instructions, re -'saved as' as a word 97-2003 doc and then tried transferring the articles to the new laptop again. This time they opened up in English. Thanks for your help.

sil3nt
11th July 2011, 12:59
Sil3nt,,, Your link worked, I followed the instructions, re -'saved as' as a word 97-2003 doc and then tried transferring the articles to the new laptop again. This time they opened up in English. Thanks for your help.Good to hear :yes:

Ronin
11th July 2011, 13:14
Open oriface once had a place but no longer. The Dev team threw their handbags at each other and split the project.

M$ have clicked and new machines now come with word and excel free, albeit with ads.