PDA

View Full Version : KAWASAKI GTR1000

zadok
5th July 2005, 00:01
Thinking seriously of getting a Kawasaki GTR1000. I'm wondering if the model is being fazed out or being replaced with a newer fuel injected model. Anyone heard anything on the grape vine? One new one left in the shop for $13,490. I'm very tempted.

zadok
5th July 2005, 09:56
Don't seem to be getting much help people. Has the model got any nasty quirks that I should know about?

John
5th July 2005, 10:08
All I know is they were a reliable bike for 13years (?) and remain so until they stopped production... Cant go wrong with them so I hear.

edit: Yes it is getting fazed out..

Warr
5th July 2005, 10:09
Cant comment on having owned one or anything useful. other than 6 months ago that as the next bike I was thinking of getting.
6 speed, good tourer, pillion friendly, AND Shaft Drive !!! ..
This is one of the ones I was following- an 87 with 90k's going for less than $4k. Good buying I say.
(Link to expired auction)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=28249915

There is a good following of the Concour and the older ones are priced well.
So if you've seen one you like ... go for it I'd say.

edit: Added more :)

zadok
6th July 2005, 00:37
Woo Hoo. That one sold, but just lined up one that a Ulysis rider (spelling) bought because another model he wanted wasn't available, and now is. He has only had it 2 months from new and I'm going to get it for $12,000 ride away! Will keep you informed if the deal goes thru. :ride:

White trash
6th July 2005, 09:07
I can't believe they're still made!

Looks like a good touring bike to me, but I've never had the privellige of riding one.

zadok
6th July 2005, 09:16
I can't believe they're still made!

Looks like a good touring bike to me, but I've never had the privellige of riding one.
No more now. It will be interesting to see if they replace it with something similar. Probably 1200 fuel injected, or something like that. :ride:

FROSTY
6th July 2005, 11:24
Ive had the pleasure/displeasure of owning 4 of these machines.
The blue bike in my profile pic is a gtr
For a bike of its apparent bulk you can toss em around really easily.
They are a heavy brute -taking a fair bit of skill to get onto the mainstand when fully loaded.
Mechanicly they are pretty much bullet proof being based on the gpz900/1000rx. -with of course the shaft attached.
Mate I could fill this page with advise about em. They have been known to embarress guys on soposedly much more nimble machinery.the comfort level is fantastic for both rider and passenger. . -there are a range of aftermarket screens and handlebars to adjust the bike to suit you.The first accessory I would buy is a GIVI 40 l topbox with the built in backrest--ya passenger will love ya for it.
You are lookin at a late model version but even so don't expect sport bike type brakes -even with the 17' wheel and twin pot calipers there is still a lot of weight to haul up.
The only negatives with this bike are A -Your legs can get bloody hot in summer -I'd strongly suggest removing the single cooling fan for the motor and fitting a twin fan setup. The only other quirk is the mirrors -mine always continuously came loose at the joints. I finally drilled the joints out and used bigger bolts with thread locker on em to stop them from moving. The mitrrors themselves are fantastic.
gimme a yell if ya wanna discuss furthur
In a nutshell--good solid reliable bike with no real vices -but if ya got the moolahh go the extra mile and buy a Yam FJR1300 --they are totally the ducks nuts

Warr
6th July 2005, 21:49
Ive had the pleasure/displeasure of owning 4 of these machines. ..................

Wow mate what bikes havent you owned there Tony.
Did they have stainless exhausts too ??
The negitave I read off the net was with the a weakness in the gearbox. This guy from Europe had had the cases split 3x for probs with 4th gear.
That sort of problem would put a dampner on owning one.
So would they be as quick as the XJ Tony ??

zadok
6th July 2005, 22:43
Good info there Frost. Thanx.

FROSTY
7th July 2005, 08:09
The negitave I read off the net was with the a weakness in the gearbox. This guy from Europe had had the cases split 3x for probs with 4th gear.
So would they be as quick as the XJ Tony ??
I havent heard that problem being a generic thing --like the fj1100 second gear problem. I definitely never had any problems with mine.
as for as quick -well no not as stock -they are a different kinda bike--but on a long ride would ya get there as quick--probably and definitely a lot more comfortably for rider and pilion.
One of mine I rebuilt from a wright off -whole front end and fairing were stuffed. I rebuilt it as a semi naked with tubular bars,xz550 instruments and handlebar fairing.GPZ1000rx front end and I tossed a set of gpz900 cams into it.Now that bike--yep -as good as an XJ