PDA

View Full Version : darned slippery

FROSTY
5th July 2005, 16:26
Heading northbound onto the auckland harbour bridge this morning I hit a 1.0m wide metal joiner plate. -the plate goes right across the road
Its pretty darned slippery -I got a fair ol sideways shift on it.
Worth watchin out for

bugjuice
5th July 2005, 16:32
I always catch that in the wet..
don't be acceleratin hard, or you'll get the taste of concrete. Just cruise gentley over them and no harsh/rash movements.
I used to power it over them, see if I could get the wheel to spin up. Not recommended, but cheap thrills..
just mind how you go, and good point frosty..

Beemer
5th July 2005, 23:12
It's not just on the road either - those manhole type covers are bad enough on the footpath - my niece has just slipped on one and broken her elbow.

HDTboy
5th July 2005, 23:17
One of the guys at work had a whinge about that the other day, I don't go over the brigde daily so it's not a problem for me

FROSTY
5th July 2005, 23:17
It's not just on the road either - those manhole type covers are bad enough on the footpath - my niece has just slipped on one and broken her elbow.
Um I sorta hope noone here is riding on the footpath.Could get very messy very fast :whistle:

zadok
6th July 2005, 00:28
On my last ride I went over four rail tracks in row. The bike got a bit twitchy. Woke me up I can tell you.!

placidfemme
6th July 2005, 08:21
That metal bit on the bridge is a bit dodgy in the wet... I've also noticed when your in the 3rd lane heading towards the city... the metal thingy is pretty un-even and when you hit it, it feels like you've hit a small ramp on the road... *doesn't go in the 3rd lane anymore*

Beemer
6th July 2005, 10:03
Um I sorta hope noone here is riding on the footpath.Could get very messy very fast :whistle:

Knowing my niece, the only wheels she'd have on the footpath would be the ones on her two year-old's baby buggy!

Two Smoker
6th July 2005, 19:08
Heading northbound onto the auckland harbour bridge this morning I hit a 1.0m wide metal joiner plate. -the plate goes right across the road
Worth watchin out for
sounds like riding the TL in the wet everywhere..... I love riding to work hehehe

Jantar
6th July 2005, 19:16
There are a number of metal gratings on the Haast Pass road that have a very similar effect. I tend to approach them as straight on as possible, and lift the front wheel ever so slightly as I cross them.

Flyingpony
7th July 2005, 12:50
Had the misfortune recently one dark winter morning of hitting two man hole covers slightly spaced out mid-corner!

Hitting the first caused the front to suddenly slide away. Moments later while still regaining control, hit the second which did a repeat of the first.

Fortunately there were no parked cars because hitting them both forced my line to drift wide by 2m. That corner of now taken very slowly with extreme caution.

Railway lines can be nasty and I've got to cross some 2 & 4 tracks daily. Got those nailed for the smoothest and safest line.

FROSTY
7th July 2005, 12:58
I did the whole -slide on the lines hit the deck bit in the bay of islands once--by blind chance--and my not thinking I was angled so both friggin wheels hit the rails same time - Bloddy funny sitting on my ass in the middle of Kawakawa laughing my head off --I was doing 5km/h at the time

sparrow_34
7th July 2005, 13:35
Another thing to watch out for is wet cardboard. I had a moment turning into a side street in the wet the other night, halfway around the corner the front gets a slide on, I just about shit myself and can't work out what it was. So I continue on my way. On the way home I slow down and have a look at the corner and low and behold there is a soggy wet and slippery piece of cardboard box sitting there. Impossible to see as it had obviously been there a while and been run over by numerous cars. I managed to scrape it of the road and get rid of it. Just another hazzard out there trying it's best to remove the friction between the road and tyre.

Beemer
7th July 2005, 14:34
Yes, wet cardboard is nasty! So are discarded ball point pens - you wouldn't believe the number of times I have put my foot down and slipped on one someone has thrown away.

Around our way it's usually cow shit and mud from tractors - loverly! Thank god we got rid of the steep gravel driveway though, that's one less hazard to worry about.

Badcat
7th July 2005, 14:43
Worth watchin out for

even the dirty little vanvan can get out of shape on that.
def. a throtlle OFF maneouver.

vifferman
7th July 2005, 15:25
I guess it's because they don't want to clog the 'teeth' of the expansion joints up, but I wish Transit would put asphalt or summat on those joints. Maybe if someone died as a result of their slipperiness they might.

Any volunteers? (I would, but there's too high a risk I'd just break the bike and my arse, and still be alive).

To add to the "slippery things on roads" list: squashed softdrink cans. Broke the fairing and brake lever of the VFR750 after slipping on one, and put a hole in my new jacket. Also nearly dropped the VifFerraRi backing up when I put the ball of my foot on a squashed milk bottle cap.

FROSTY
7th July 2005, 15:32
viffer--not talkin about those lil 300mm wide expansion joints --its that friggin great big 1.0m wide one on the very beginnning of the bridge that gets me -why on earth have a definite traffic hazard in such a place??

myvice
10th July 2005, 19:40
Pine needles on a wet downhill corner with a ditch full of water to land in.
Was very cold I was, no warmth in motox gear!
And dont you DARE laugh!

danb
10th July 2005, 20:08
There is a tree at my mum’s sister’s place that has huge slippery flowers and leaves that fall off it over the steep driveway. That as got me worried a few times going there as its bad enough on foot. Also there is a man hole that is at the bottom of Union rd in Howick, its 2 or 3 cm below the normal surface of the road and I could imagine if a bike went over that it could give someone an interesting moment. It bad enough jolting the car going over it. (Least there is room to avoid it both bike and car.

N4CR
10th July 2005, 20:24
Nothing wrong with metal covers.. specially the one outside the high court while having a slight turning angle from turning right :devil2: :devil2: 'Mad chuckle'

I do think they could be placed a little better though... middle of corners and stupid crap like that is just dangerous. Mabey we should pillion some council workers/bean counters one day and take them over some manholes in the wet :oi-grr:

HDTboy
10th July 2005, 21:11
The tarseal after roadworks is slippery in the wet too, gassed it up today in such a spot and got sideways, C4 had a great view of it

SuperDave
10th July 2005, 21:26

I rode on the footpath once but barely faster than walking speed :o Won't do it again although it was pretty funny seeing that 6th former girl jump as I went past. :rofl:

SuperDave
10th July 2005, 21:32
Just before anyone gets any ideas, I scarcely went further than 5 metres over the footpath.

raster
10th July 2005, 21:55
Also there is a man hole that is at the bottom of Union rd in Howick, its 2 or 3 cm below the normal surface of the road and I could imagine if a bike went over that it could give someone an interesting moment. It bad enough jolting the car going over it. (Least there is room to avoid it both bike and car.

Noticed that one in the suby GT.

I'll be watching for manholes now.

GN1NiteStnd
8th August 2005, 21:43
The other day I came across some sand through a two laned roundabout. When I told some experianced motorcyclists they said that it was lucky that i didnt come off specially since i still have my L plate.

Pixie
9th August 2005, 01:11
Personhole :nono:

Ixion
9th August 2005, 01:45
The other day I came across some sand through a two laned roundabout. When I told some experianced motorcyclists they said that it was lucky that i didnt come off specially since i still have my L plate.

GN250. Good on that sort of thing. Better than a sprotbike.

Smorg
9th August 2005, 12:55

HAHAHA! :rofl:

Smorg
9th August 2005, 12:58
I personally find the corner on anzac road in takapuna just as you go past rosmini college and KFC to be pretty lethal going both ways.
Heading in to Taka you have to watch for "person holes" and heading out its the uneven road surface that gets you :weird:

vifferman
9th August 2005, 13:14
viffer--not talkin about those lil 300mm wide expansion joints --its that friggin great big 1.0m wide one on the very beginnning of the bridge that gets me -why on earth have a definite traffic hazard in such a place??
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said "why can't they tarseal it?" It'd be easy enough to cover up the ends so its expansion abilities aren't compromised. Presumably, they've had no accidents as a result of its slipperiness, so they don't give a rodent's rectum.

sunhuntin
9th August 2005, 13:29
those "personholes" are mongrels. havent slipped on one yet, but i know im bound to eventually. im flatting at the top of one of 3 hills in town. going down the hill to get into town, is a shiteload of corners, and on the last i think its 3 corners, there are at least 2 personholes and/or fire hydrant covers. why they have them in the middle of corners ill never know, but im sure the cagers behind me think im nuts when its wet and im riding around as many as i can.

WRT
9th August 2005, 14:00
Anyone familiar with the railroad crossing in kingsland, I think its on George St? Not much fun if you are coming down the hill, but when you are heading up (coming from New Nth Rd) its brilliant - gas it just at the right time and you can clear the entire thing in a single bound.

Many a sound sleeper has been woken in the middle of the night by the sound of the mighty TLR (or the RF before that, or the GSXR before that) screaming up to redline as it launches off the lip . . . good times, good times . . .

raster
9th August 2005, 14:02

My most humblest appologies Pixie

James Deuce
9th August 2005, 15:08
There are two expansion joints heading North on the Wellington motorway just out of the Terrace tunnel. You bank left over the brow of a hill, hit the first one, and then there is another one about 10 metres up the road. It usually isn't a problem, but I was being naughty one day and it was wet and cold. I hit the first one and the back lit up and by the time I gathered it together I hit the second one and got out of shape again. There is a nice concrete divider right next to you there. Very nice stuff. Well thought out I thought. Not.

Motu
9th August 2005, 15:19
Anyone familiar with the railroad crossing in kingsland, I think its on George St? Not much fun if you are coming down the hill, but when you are heading up (coming from New Nth Rd) its brilliant - gas it just at the right time and you can clear the entire thing in a single bound.

Many a sound sleeper has been woken in the middle of the night by the sound of the mighty TLR (or the RF before that, or the GSXR before that) screaming up to redline as it launches off the lip . . . good times, good times . . .

What do you mean not much fun going down?!! I've been airborne many times,cars and bikes going down George St,there is another railcrossing in Newmarket behind the pool,we used to get airtime there too.You'd a loved Church St in the 70s,with plenty of room to build up speed we'd hit our heads on the roof of our cars....I've had airtime on a bike there,but not as much as in cars,I'm not so brave charging a level crossing on a bike,even if it does have alarms and gates!

Badcat
9th August 2005, 15:27
What do you mean not much fun going down?!! I've been airborne many times,cars and bikes going down George St,there is another railcrossing in Newmarket behind the pool,we used to get airtime there too.You'd a loved Church St in the 70s,with plenty of room to build up speed we'd hit our heads on the roof of our cars....I've had airtime on a bike there,but not as much as in cars,I'm not so brave charging a level crossing on a bike,even if it does have alarms and gates!

man - that newmarket rail crossing and the one on the hill in kingsland are some of the best times i've had on the road!
my gsxr1100 got some good air on the newmarket one in the 80's and i've loved the kinsland one going both up on road bikes and up and down on my ktm supermotard....

heh heh.

WRT
9th August 2005, 15:30
Never been keen to launch off the George St tracks going down . . . not only is it bumpy, but you've only got a very short distance in which to pull up before you find yourself out in the middle of four lanes of traffic on New Nth Rd . . .

That would take some balls . . .

vifferman
9th August 2005, 15:32
No.
But there used to be a couple in Rotorua (when the train used to go there) that were excellent for that. A few intersections too, where one road was higher than the other. Doubt if they're there any more - blardy safety Nazis get rid of all the kewl bits of road like that, because people can't drive proper no more.
One exception is the BIIIG hump on the road to Orana Park in Chch - heaps of graunch marks from undersides of cars hitting the road on either side after being launched into the stratosphere. :devil2:

FROSTY
9th August 2005, 15:54
By far the best/worst rail crossing I have ever encountered is the one leading to great north road in new lynn.
There is a 15.-2.0m drop off and a corner just after you hit the crossing--
Definitely dukes of Hazzard YEEEEHAAAAA material.

Ixion
9th August 2005, 15:59
By far the best/worst rail crossing I have ever encountered is the one leading to great north road in new lynn.
There is a 15.-2.0m drop off and a corner just after you hit the crossing--
Definitely dukes of Hazzard YEEEEHAAAAA material.

Fifteen metres ! About 50 ft! Now THATS what i call a jump. Must be a bit hard on the tyres on landing though. Not to mention being fun getting back up going the other way . Or was it 1.5 to 2.0 mtr - about 6 ft. Still a mighty step. Centiwhatsits ? Millipedes ? Grand imperial inches.

Anyways, a big jumpy bit. Must take Li'l Ratty and try it.

Mr Skid
10th August 2005, 13:42
Never been keen to launch off the George St tracks going down . . . not only is it bumpy, but you've only got a very short distance in which to pull up before you find yourself out in the middle of four lanes of traffic on New Nth Rd . . .

That would take some balls . . .I took a detour on the way home last night so I could go up George Street. You certainly don't need much pace on to get it airbone over there.

I think there's enough stopping distance comming down the hill to pull it up before the intersection. I'll have to get some practice in though.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone with decent suspension travel.

Brett
28th September 2005, 18:37
My personal favourite is on chapel road where smales rd interesects on the dannemora side of ti irirange dr. Heading up toward dannemora, the road is quite well humped. If you take off from the lights on full throttle (small 250cc so bear with me) as you hit the top of it the front wheel lifts and some pretty decent wheelies can be had...some brown undie moments too when i lift it too sharply... only got air once on the bike...cant remember where it was, just remember that it was fun...