PDA

View Full Version : Time for something new?

Tosser
13th July 2011, 11:03
I'm relatively new to bikes..

I bought a 99 GSXF750 in march for 4.3 this year(16400km).

I love it(my first bike really) but I'm starting to feel a little bored with it.

So I've started looking around for something a little faster.

I was thinking something like a R1? What would you guys suggest?

btw did I get it for a good price?

Cheers

Edbear
13th July 2011, 11:13
Price sounds okay to me, esp at that mileage. Do you have your full licence? I'd be cautious about upgrading to an R1 unless you are very experienced. I recall a time on my GSX600F when I was tapped out in third passing traffic and thinking how fast I was going when an R1 shot by me going about 50km/h faster! I didn't even see him coming!

He had almost twice the HP and weighed about 20kg less than my bike so it was pretty one-sided. Even compared to your 750, it's chalk and cheese to a modern litre bike, so whatever you do, be very careful!

wanpo
13th July 2011, 11:59
Even modern Supersport 600s are ridiculously powerful.

Sit on/test ride as many bikes you like the looks on as possible. Choose the one that puts the biggest smile on your face and feels the most comfortable.

The Pastor
13th July 2011, 12:06
Who gives a toss?

shrub
13th July 2011, 13:49
The first thing to remember is that a bike is very different to a car and requires a huge amount more skill to ride safely than a car, the second thing to remember is that a bike is unbelievably unforgiving of rider error.

I'd be really hesitant to get something like an R1 until you have quite a few Ks (and years) under your belt. They are insanely fast and while you have the ultimate control over how fast you ride it is a lot easier to find yourself going faster than your experience should allow. You will very likely find yourself coming into a corner doing 180, 200 or even 250 kmh because all of those speeds are easily accessible on an R1. If that happens, what do you do? How good is your braking? Do still fall into the habit built from years of driving of stomping with your foot to brake? And do you understand countersteering and do you know how to set a line in a corner that gets you out of the shit?

And if you give it a big old handful and the back wheel starts to step out, what will you do? Shut the throttle? And when the front wheel pops up (which it will), how do you bring it down smoothly and safely?

I could go on, but if you have really only been riding for a few months and make an R1 your next bike I will bet a bottle of Jim's finest that it's also your last bike. If you're already finding a bike as quick as a GSXF750 boring my guess is you don't know your limits yet, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your limits are probably a lot lower than you realise and on a bike finding that you have exceeded your limits usually happens just before you find out what it's like to ride in an ambulance.

StoneY
13th July 2011, 14:30
Who gives a toss?

You??? Most nights anyway???? ;)

SILVER SUZI
13th July 2011, 14:49
Ha Ha thats so funny. I went from a 1989 GSXF750 to a 2004 R1 four years ago.
Spent the next 6 months putting round between 3000 and 4000 RPM cause thats all I needed.
I'm old slow and careful so I got away with it (until recently):facepalm:.
If you are likewise you may be fine. If your'e "young, dumb, and full of cum" you'll die!!
R1's have more HP than any mere mortal will ever need on the road...... but they are also sex on wheels.
Like others have said/will say, if you get an R1 (or any other litre sports bike bread from the track) treat it with respect or it will bite.

shrub
13th July 2011, 14:57
Ha Ha thats so funny. I went from a 1989 GSXF750 to a 2004 R1 four years ago.
Spent the next 6 months putting round between 3000 and 4000 RPM cause thats all I needed.
I'm old slow and careful so I got away with it (until recently):facepalm:.
If you are likewise you may be fine. If your'e "young, dumb, and full of cum" you'll die!!
R1's have more HP than any mere mortal will ever need on the road...... but they are also sex on wheels.
Like others have said/will say, if you get an R1 (or any other litre sports bike bread from the track) treat it with respect or it will bite.

the question begs asking, why buy a bike like that if you're old and slow? Surely it would have made more sense to buy something that is less likely to bite your arse and where you didn't need to spend your time at 3-4000 RPM? Kind of like buying a Mack truck for a local courier run.

And I'm guessing you had an off, how did that happen?

Edbear
13th July 2011, 15:07
the question begs asking, why buy a bike like that if you're old and slow? Surely it would have made more sense to buy something that is less likely to bite your arse and where you didn't need to spend your time at 3-4000 RPM? Kind of like buying a Mack truck for a local courier run.

Buying a bike is rarely a logical decision, it's all about what turns you on and what you want. That's why sports bikes are so popular in a country most suited to the likes of the V-Strom style. Logic says buy an ADV bike, but most hearts want the R1/Gixxer/ZX/CBRR bikes. I mean who really needs 200hp and 160km/h in first gear..? Who really needs a bike that kills your neck and back trying to ride it "normally"? :bye:

Nup, logic says we should all be riding the 650 WeeStrom, not R1's. :yes:

Tosser
13th July 2011, 15:44
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Buying a second bike won't be practical for at least a year or two yet (unless someone decides to drop 25k in my bank account, anyone?). I didn't know that there would be that much of a difference between the two bikes in speed. I guess that's something I have to look forward to.

Shrub: I found your post somewhat ironic given your signature :) but yes I do recognize that I've got quite a bit to learn. But then again I haven't straight from driving a car to this bike.

I guess since I'm 22 I still fit the "young and dumb" criteria, but as someone else said bikes are never a logical decision. You've gotta enjoy your time.

I think that if I ever get a bike like a R1, I won't be riding it on the road. It will probably live at mansfield.

shrub
13th July 2011, 15:52
if it was me, I'd buy something like a Street Triple or an SV650. They're fast. Really, really fast, but they won't bite you the way an R1 will, and in the real world a well ridden Street will not be disgraced by damn near anything on the road. They're also very forgiving and very tractable and while you will inevitably have some "oh fuck" moments, they will be less common and less terrifying.

The best thing about those kinds of bikes is they will teach you to ride, not just to open the throttle and hang on. And if you go for the Street you will have all the street cred in the universe.

StoneY
15th July 2011, 12:22
Go for a KTM Super Duke and make sure your life insurance is up to scratch ;)

ducatilover
15th July 2011, 12:34
Get a naked bike, get some training.
Or swap your GSXF for my ZZR6. I think my ZZR6 is more than fast enough for road use, 100hp is plenty :yes: I know for a fact that I'm by nobodies standards a fast rider (I ride like a limp wristed scout captain) , yet I'd still want something with more poke.

SILVER SUZI
15th July 2011, 12:43

Clearly I bought a bike "like that" for all the wrong reasons. but it was amazing the difference it made to my riding. Going from 20year old frame, suspension ect to what at the time was about 4 years old. It gave me a lot more confidence in the bikes abilities. Damn thing cornered like it was on rails compared to the old GSXF.
And as I mentioned I spent the the next 6 months pootling round learning what this new bike was about. I didn't stay that way for ever!
"Old & slow" requires perspective, depends where you are standing as to how old and slow I am. next to someone like WT I expect I'd be quite old and damn near stationary.
And yes I binned it recently. Had nothing to do with horsepower and plenty to do with a moron in a white ute with some anger management issues.:angry:

Quasievil
15th July 2011, 13:03
Get a R1, dont listen to these Pussies.

I got one it is as someone said sex on wheels and faster than a "RM" cumshot but if you got a brain and can control the Urge to throttle it all the time whats the problem