PDA

View Full Version : Career advice from Kiwi Biker please

Winter
13th July 2011, 22:18
Boss offered me a promotion today, with a payrise.

I want the job, problem is the payrise is shit.. 3%, for more responsibility and workload.

You have untill 10am tomorrow morning to talk me out of turning it down.

Winter.

HenryDorsetCase
13th July 2011, 22:20
Thats a shit deal. Time to look for another job but with a decent jump in pay.

blackdog
13th July 2011, 22:23
Turn it down. Tell the boss that you will reconsider if there is a more realistic increase in remuneration. He wouldn't have offered it to you if he didn't want you in that role. You hold all the cards.

Latte
13th July 2011, 22:41
3% is inflation, basically the "minimum" payrise a large organisation gives you (without a promotion).

If the new role will look awesome on the CV and you're reasonably new in the workforce it could pay dividends in the long run.

Berries
13th July 2011, 23:27
I want the job, problem is the payrise is shit.. 3%, for more responsibility and workload.
Your answer is in the first four words just there. Take the job and you'll make it more likely you will be able to get out and find a better paid job in the future.

If you get on with your boss tell him you want 10% and see his reaction. He may bump up the offer from 3% but if you want it I wouldn't let pay be the stumbling block.

KiWiP
13th July 2011, 23:30
I want the job, problem is the payrise is shit..
You're confusing 2 issues. Make a decision, you want the responsibility or you don't. If you want more money go to a different firm that will pay you what you think you're worth.

Thats a shit deal. Time to look for another job but with a decent jump in pay.
The deal is only shit if you believe it to be so. Only you know this but if you are uncomfortable with it now it won't get better once you start.

You hold all the cards.
Only if he can't get anyone else and even the prime ministers sweet job isn't that secure.

3% is inflation, basically the "minimum" payrise a large organisation gives you (without a promotion).

If the new role will look awesome on the CV and you're reasonably new in the workforce it could pay dividends in the long run.
ditto Only you know the job and the future. But if you don't take the promotion get a new job very, very soon. Your boss has given you an opportunity if you don't take it it's an insult to him and he won't have too much respect for you in the future.

Go with your gut. If you want it go for it, if it doesn't feel right it isn't. Only you know.

That doesn't help much does it?

Bald Eagle
13th July 2011, 23:30
Theory has it that the first side of the negotiation to mention money loses. You are in the box seat, assume you have your existing job if you don't take the offer so tell the boss you'll do it for x % , take it or leave it, after all at this stage all you've got to lose is a lousy 3% which is less than the cost of inflation.

blackdog
13th July 2011, 23:35
Only if he can't get anyone else

For 3% more.

Theory has it that the first side of the negotiation to mention money loses. You are in the box seat, assume you have your existing job if you don't take the offer so tell the boss you'll do it for x % , take it or leave it, after all at this stage all you've got to lose is a lousy 3% which is less than the cost of inflation.

QED

yod
13th July 2011, 23:51
Tell him you want 4-5% now (surely he's expecting you to negotiate?) and another 2-4% in 6-12 months if you perform your duties to an agreed standard. And come up with some ideas of what that agreed standard should be, also negotiable, of course.

James Deuce
13th July 2011, 23:56
This isn't a black and white decision. The small pay rise and extra responsibility can be converted into a CV upgrade. Spend 6 months in the job, learn some new stuff and develop the appropriate work habits for the responsibility, then go job hunting. You can work this to your favour despite maybe not getting paid enough to initially be worth your while.

blackdog
14th July 2011, 00:08
This isn't a black and white decision. The small pay rise and extra responsibility can be converted into a CV upgrade. Spend 6 months in the job, learn some new stuff and develop the appropriate work habits for the responsibility, then go job hunting. You can work this to your favour despite maybe not getting paid enough to initially be worth your while.

I disagree.

You want the job. In the immediate future it must be milked for every available cent. I am convinced that 3 percent is not all that is on offer.

Everything else I agree with JD.

The Lone Rider
14th July 2011, 00:42
I'd be suspicious... especially if the new job is under a new job title they didnt previously have.

I have heard a number of stories of someone at my workplace who was "promoted" into a position that they didn't previously have. Only to fire him after X amount of time because it was no longer a position they "needed" filled at the work place.

More recently, someone was "promoted" to a team leader job, except they changed the title of the position so that he wasn't under the same contract as the other team leaders (who have unlimited paid sick days for example).

rogerh
14th July 2011, 02:06

This is good advice. I did this once, and was recognised for doing a good job, and ending up staying with a good increase after the 6 months. YMMV. But above is also an excellent plan.

Good luck.

Deano
14th July 2011, 07:51
How many people have received any increase at all in the past 2 years (since the recession) ?

I'd take the promotion and the 3% and be thankful for small mercies.

Taking it will improve your CV and skills/experience. Passing it over may mean you are overlooked for promotion next time.

(But I'm a grumpy, cynical and dissatisfied employee at the mo)

Oakie
14th July 2011, 07:56
Take the job. It'll look better on the CV and help you get a better paying job somewhere else if that's what you want. You can still have a small "with the extra resonsibility is there any room to move on the pay rate" befor you sign on the bottom line. If you don't get the money, you're getting the experience so at the least, your current employer will be making you more attractive to a new employer. It's not always directly about the money.

NinjaNanna
14th July 2011, 08:07
how much more work and how much more responsibility?

BOGAR
14th July 2011, 08:11
On the other side of things. If you dont take the promotion like I did once I didn't get offered other promotions being offered further down the track and other people moved up ahead of me. I was too indecisive at that time and they just looked at me as a worker who wasn't' worth putting their effort into.
The thing about having the new job on your CV might be the difference to a new job in the future.

nodrog
14th July 2011, 08:16
Can I have the job if you dont want it?

gijoe1313
14th July 2011, 09:05
If you love what you do, enjoy the people you work with - don't mind some extra effort, then go for it! Usually those with a positive attitude and ready to muck in are rewarded in ways less tangible than money.

However, always room for negotiation - as stated before, go for a benchmark review in 6 months time that is commeasurate with a pay increase.

Use this opportunity to buff up your CV, learn new skills and advance!:yes:

Spearfish
14th July 2011, 09:17
Go for it

You don't ride a bike well by looking at your front wheel....... this is no different.

Big Dave
14th July 2011, 09:35
Hard work and dedication pay off in the long run.
Laziness has immediate benefits right now.

Or negotiate more pay.

The Lone Rider
14th July 2011, 09:53
How many people have received any increase at all in the past 2 years (since the recession) ?

(But I'm a grumpy, cynical and dissatisfied employee at the mo)

I've had 3 pay rises in the last two years. One of them was union negotiated.

Katman
14th July 2011, 13:00
Dear Oprah.........

(Would have looked funnier as a tag but hey, you work with what you've got).

Indiana_Jones
14th July 2011, 13:06
Bang your bosses wife :sunny:

Or better yet, his young and supple daughter....

-Indy

rainman
14th July 2011, 16:21
I'd be suspicious... especially if the new job is under a new job title they didnt previously have.

I have heard a number of stories of someone at my workplace who was "promoted" into a position that they didn't previously have. Only to fire him after X amount of time because it was no longer a position they "needed" filled at the work place.

Bloody 'ell and I thought I was cynical.

You have a point, though.

Banditbandit
14th July 2011, 16:26

Winter.

So don't hold us in suspense .. it's now 4.30pm .. Did you take the job or not?

Berries
14th July 2011, 18:46
You do know we all want a cut of the 3% for the employment advice ????

Or a free burger now you have been promoted from the chip pan.

jaffaonajappa
14th July 2011, 19:01
LOL - classic viewpoints - from both sides of the spectrum.

Completely ignore the 3% payrise - put it towards a new bike tyre or an icecream or whatever at xmas.

Consider the new role and responsibilities you can learn and experience. CV or not - its some skills you are likely to get along the way. Pretty much like a few people above me noted. (JD in particular I think it was..)

Problem with so many kiwis - they are happy with mediocrity. Get yourself out of that comfort zone, and start sniffing around for something better.

Latte
14th July 2011, 19:01
You do know we all want a cut of the 3% for the employment advice ????

Or a free burger now you have been promoted from the chip pan.

That's carbohydrate convection technician thankyou ;)

jaffaonajappa
14th July 2011, 19:03
I've had 3 pay rises in the last two years. One of them was union negotiated.

What is this Union thing?
Is it like a sexual encounter? Give and take, Fuckee and Fucker...sorry, just Jelly of unions.

Ocean1
14th July 2011, 19:07
Two things.

Either you're worth whatever you earn, or you're not.

Your boss knows the above, or he doesn't.

You can control of the first bit.

schrodingers cat
14th July 2011, 19:09
The money is neither here nor there. You can get the hump that he only offered 3% or you can be grateful that he even offered.

Where will the role take you in 2 -3 years time (if that)

Invest in yourself. Move up the food chain and learn how the money works in a business.

And to all those who are worth SOOOOOOOO much more - take that drone job and sell your soul.
Or have a go in business yourself since every boss is a miserable rip off money grubbing cunt who is robbing you blind.

KiWiP
14th July 2011, 19:29
It's 7 o'clock and he hasn't posted so I'm assuming he took the promotion and is now working till midnight to cover all the 'new' work :laugh:

or celebrating:drinknsin:drinknsin:drinknsin:drinknsi n:drinknsin

Winter
14th July 2011, 20:40
So don't hold us in suspense .. it's now 4.30pm .. Did you take the job or not?

I turned it down. Said thanks, but I'm worth more, and want to see $10k on the table before I consider it again. He looked pretty fucked off, but meh.

I think i'm still in a good position. Time will tell.

jaffaonajappa
14th July 2011, 23:03
I turned it down. Said thanks, but I'm worth more, and want to see $10k on the table before I consider it again. He looked pretty fucked off, but meh.

I think i'm still in a good position. Time will tell.

Wow. Lucky for some to make demands like that....I wish I could!

could you share with us.....what kind of profession are we talking here? And very aprox, what kind of pay?

ellipsis
14th July 2011, 23:15
....oh, the pain we have to endure, to live in our obscure little paradise...take your hand off yer dick and put it round the throttle of a bucket racer...that'll cure yer angst...:yes:

Winter
14th July 2011, 23:17
Wow. Lucky for some to make demands like that....I wish I could!

could you share with us.....what kind of profession are we talking here? And very aprox, what kind of pay?

Its a small world, so I wont say anything here...

Usarka
15th July 2011, 08:26
Its a small world, so I wont say anything here...

Extremely true.

My advice, never burn bridges especially in little old NZ. Swallow your pride act professionally and move on if thats what you want to do.

I even went for a job interview in Ireland FFS and the guy knew my previous boss.

PS: Fuck.

Clockwork
15th July 2011, 11:47
Big balls fella!

Possibly in your favor, can he promote from within or is he now going to have to go out and offer market rates AND pay an agent's cut to get someone else?

Big Dave
15th July 2011, 12:01
My advice, never burn bridges especially in little old NZ.

Durn. I was planning a bonfire.

Brett
15th July 2011, 14:17

Winter.

It depends on the role. Will taking the promotion provide more opportunities down the track even though the pay isn't a whole lot more now? Experience is something that cannot be bought (usually).
Edit: clearly you made your decision!

Winter
17th July 2011, 21:48
Big balls fella!

Possibly in your favor, can he promote from within or is he now going to have to go out and offer market rates AND pay an agent's cut to get someone else?

Go outside to look. They are really a bit stuck now as they've already hired my replacement heh. :facepalm:

oldrider
18th July 2011, 00:29
Go outside to look. They are really a bit stuck now as they've already hired my replacement heh. :facepalm:

Hmmm, experience suggests to me, that one (or maybe even both) of the parties in this employment relationship is not worth it! :mellow:

jaffaonajappa
18th July 2011, 00:44
Hmmm, experience suggests to me, that one (or maybe even both) of the parties in this employment relationship is not worth it! :mellow:

Hmmm, dunno about that.
1. Not all plantings turn into 100ft Oak trees.
2. Better the devil you know than than .....

Sometimes you have to manage staff that do a good job but dont want the dramas of advancement - and appreciate what they do well.

LBD
18th July 2011, 01:11
Shoulda taken it and used the improved employment status to get a better job elsewhere... employers like to see job applicants who have had promotions, it shows that your existing boss has confidence in you enough to promote you...you must be a worth while employee.....

Sorry my comment was to late to change your mind.