7th December 2002, 16:52
Humbug??????
I have now swimming crusts between my fingers

:D

Kiwi

Cuban
10th December 2002, 21:08
weather has been very fickle lately.
sunny, brilliant day on sunday morning when i got up, decided to go for early morning ride. then it starts raining cats and dogs, absolutely drenched i get home, an hour later its sunny and fine.
go figure.
the weather gods must dislike bikers

wari
12th December 2002, 02:06
I got caught in the storm on Saturday night on my way down to Hamilton ... start of the Bombays , down comes the rain ... ah well she'll be right at least it's not windy .... by Pokeno and the wind gusts are trying to send me off the road ... ah well, at least there isn't lightening ... spoke too soon there too mate ...

Discovered my waterproof leggings are no longer waterproof ... the water trickled down my legs and into my boots . They were 1/4 full by the time I reached Hamilton.
Funny thing though , I quite enjoyed the ride , at least i didnt get cold eh.

Coldkiwi
13th December 2002, 11:56
Yeah,. i had a similar one last friday wari,

If it had been colder, I'm sure the rain would've turned to hail and then I wouldn't have got so wet! Sadly, it was warm so instead of golf ball sized hail, i got golf ball sized water.... sort of like SCUBA diving with a bike on land! Oh well, now I'll never have to do something crazy like jump a bike into a lake to see what its like riding a bike underwater!
:)

i only hope that at SOME point the weather comes right before christmas

wari
15th December 2002, 04:32
I think I prefer rain ... hail hurts !

Coldkiwi
16th December 2002, 12:12
only if you're silly enough to go out riding without full leathers! frankly I think you'll get what you deserve if you don't leather up. Anything less than a full face helmet and full leathers is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. (Murphys law with the rain,
jeans; not even shower proof = getting pissed on)

oh well... ROLL ON SUMMER!:beer:

Gixxer
17th December 2002, 13:39
nothing but full leathers, I have 2 sets, my 2 piece for when it is dry, full armour, and my old black faithfuls which I wear when it rains.

Hope this damn rain lets up soon, or I may have to move to Oz, just to get in a good ride.

wari
18th December 2002, 10:38
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
only if you're silly enough to go out riding without full leathers! ...
beer:

Dont have leathers, got armoured textile something or other.

But yeah I agree , wearing protective clothing on a bike , especially on Aucklands roads is a must do .

What?
27th December 2002, 10:29
Is there any such thing as a waterproof summer-weight glove?? I have waterproof gloves, and I have summer gloves. All I want is a bit of middle ground (middle earth???):nono:

Quaker
27th December 2002, 18:57
I haven't found any perfect glove for stopping the rain and still better than the de-sensitive mittens you use to get your roast out of the oven.

I find you spend 300 or 400 dollars on those armoured racing type, or go for the ones that don't absorb or take to long to dry out.

I have the progrip type which allow good mobility and dry fast.
I don't mind the minor discomforts; you can't when you ride all year round.

Still doesn't make me a better rider;-)

moko
28th December 2002, 02:20
Hey,it never rains in N.Z right? O.K. so I found out the hard way that it sure does but what`s the big deal with a bit of water,we live in the stuff all the time.Remember the worse day of December?,think it was the 17th.Well I jumped on the bike in Hamilton and went for a look at Mt Ruapehu via Taupo,got soaked through in about 20 minutes but once you`re wet you`re wet and it`s not exactly a new experience for us this side of world.Had a great ride out,Desert road was a bit slippy in those conditions but also pretty awe-inspiring,got home wet-through but happy.Big difference is i think that you get wet sometimes,we get wet all the time................and it`s always cold when it`s wet too.

What?
28th December 2002, 07:06
Seems you have discovered our national secret, Moko - it does rain in NZ occasionally.

Maybe I am getting a bit soft in my old age, but whilst I don't mind riding in the rain, I don't like getting wet. And the only bit of me that does is my hands should I wear gloves other than my winter-weight Spidi AL3's. These gloves are awesome, but too warm to wear in December.

Glad you enjoyed the ride to the mountain. Yep, the top of the desert road is awful greasy in the wet, assisted no doubt by trucks tipping diesel all over it.

Kiwibiker
22nd January 2003, 05:33
I Agree, seems to be wet in NZ but at least it aint to cold when it is, had the worst wet ride on the life last Monday morning leaving Chesterfield 6:30am to get to Swindon 4.5 hrs later on the motorways, in torrential rain and howling winds, even me heated inner gloves gave up on this trip.
While in NZ last Xmas we did meet the west coast nemesis, heavy rain and winds from Hokitika to Haast but at least I didn't freeze..

Coldkiwi
22nd January 2003, 12:47
One option is to go for some waterproof over mitts. I had some for my old WFO middle weight gloves which worked pretty well (of course I then lost one). I dunno where to buy them because I got them with the gloves but they mean you don't get too hot.

Oh... and can I HIGHLY recommend leathers AGAIN. Just went for a walk down towards the Viaduct basin and saw a ZXR 750 getting wheeled out of the middle of an intersection with the rider (clad in leather jacket and jeans/shoes) hobbling afterwards clutching his knees. Looks like he got clipped by a car transporter! :argh:

Take no chances folks.

:(

bluninja
22nd January 2003, 21:09
On the gloves front.....you can always carry a spare pair of those cheap latex gloves......no not the big rubber mits women use for washing up :p

Then stick them on under your summerweight gloves if it rains. The gloves get wet, the hand stays dry, you still have reasonable feel. And if you meet an obliging female you have 10 condoms :D

TTFN

SPman
22nd February 2003, 22:08
Hey, that rain we've had the last day or two hasn't half made the roads slightly dubious. Had the old Hiace sideways a couple of times on thursday -  doesnt bear thinking about what the bike would have been doing.......

Kiwibiker
25th February 2003, 04:41
U guys have it sweet, what’s a little rain if it is still warm.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Did 150mls the other morning in sleet and rain, with wind gusts, what a shit of a ride, even the trucks were passing me as I could not see the fu%^&amp;ing road, canny wait to get back home again ... <o:p></o:p>

Last Friday night I also discovered the worst hazard on the&nbsp;the Brit roads.. They have these things called Spreaders (Orange Trucks), when it starts to chill, these things are driven up the middle of the road and from the rear cums this awful brown stuff the size of pebbles, don’t half hurt when ya travelling at 90mph pass it, anyway this shit is salt which they spray across the road to stop&nbsp;it freezing, but what it also does is eat every metal component on the bike, the chain, disks are now a goldy orange colour and the wheel rims look like they are growing some sort of white fungus.. Next time I will make sure I wash it down, but when its freezing and dark the hose don't work anyway.<o:p></o:p>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Times; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 10.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-GB; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Bring of the summer</SPAN>

bluninja
25th February 2003, 07:07
Kiwibiker, you're just nesh. You forgot to also say that the salt on the road soaks up moisture and makes a nice slippy surface (a bit like diesel) if the temps aren't quite freezing. And that when it really pours down, the roads being less crowned than in NZ hold the water longer and you end up driving through inches deep surface water. So why are you there?:D

TTFN

Coldkiwi
25th February 2003, 11:41
yeah, she was a slippery little bastard this morning! I'm still getting used to the ZX-6's power at the rear wheel. It tends to let go a little too easily (time for some new pirellis!) anyway but if you add the water/road grime and a hint of tarmac joint sealent (i.e., polished ridge) she gets REAL exciting! I'm informed that the mechanic at Mt Eden nearly lost the front end a few times this morning on the roads around there!!:eek5:

&nbsp;

Still... beats riding in semi frozen salty mush!! Just emmigrate out here already:p

MikeL
25th February 2003, 11:58
Re slippery roads:
Excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain to me why it's technically not possible to make white road-marking paint non-slippery??

Gixxer
25th February 2003, 12:46
cause it cost to much. and the lords of the roads do not want to spend money on things that will make it safe for motorcyclist.

inlinefour
15th January 2005, 15:10
BAHH ... Humbug !!! :mad:

if it never rained at all :shake:

Blakamin
15th January 2005, 16:36
if it never rained at all :shake:
geez honda... was there a reason to dig up a 2 year old thread on rain????? :blink:

Sniper
16th January 2005, 06:35
geez honda... was there a reason to dig up a 2 year old thread on rain????? :blink:

He dug one up on a Kiwi as well?? :pinch: