PDA

View Full Version : Teknic leather?

sefer
5th July 2005, 20:13
Since I haven't found much I like/can afford around the place I've decided that maybe I'll just order something from the states where I can get a better selection for the money I've got (or haven't got, but oh well that's what credit is for:) ). I've got an uncle who'll send stuff to me so I'm not too limited in stores or riduclous shipping costs.

Anyway, after looking at a couple of stores www.imotorcyclestore.com has Teknic Chicane 2002 model jackets on close out for $108 US. Hopefully shipping shouldn't be more than $20-40 NZ, so that puts it at a very good price overall.

Who has one of these jackets? Can you tell me what sizing is like, small/big?

I have seen a few people saying that the seams in their teknic gear have burst on impact. Common do you think?

On the other hand, is their any jackets that people would highly reccommend off that site or others, my buget for something from the US would be $160 max.

WildBoarMouse
5th July 2005, 20:20
I've just had my gear from this store sent to a workmate in San Diego. It's a bit difficult to order over the net for a first time customer but they're REALLY helpful and quick over the phone. Plus, if your billing address is in NZ you don't have to pay sales tax. :) I was about to get stung for $44 USD for sales tax and managed to get out of it due to that. PM me... I'm heading over in a few days and might be able to bring something back. Already bringing back boots and gloves...

Zed
5th July 2005, 21:06
Who has one of these jackets? Can you tell me what sizing is like, small/big?...

I have seen a few people saying that the seams in their teknic gear have burst on impact. Common do you think?

On the other hand, is their any jackets that people would highly reccommend off that site or others, my buget for something from the US would be $160 max.I've owned several Teknic motorcycle jackets (cordura not leather) and IMO they are well made and of good quality! As far as seams bursting on impact, I was wearing Teknics when I had an accident last year and skidded across the road 10 metres where the jacket held together reasonably well and saved my skin!!

Go Teknics I say, and the more leather the better! :D

sefer
6th July 2005, 00:08
That's great to hear, I've seen about three comments on seems (all in the arms it seems) bursting, figured it was isolated but it pays to ask around.

WildBoarMouse, I'll shall PM you, thanks :)

So can anyone give me a sizing idea, I'm either going to be a 40 or 42 but with being an overseas order, and a close-out item I'll only get the one chance to get it right!

(oh, and that's $160 US max, to be a little clearer :) )

750Y
6th July 2005, 07:01
mate, it cost me closer to $100NZ to ship a jacket here... but that was 3 years ago.

White trash
6th July 2005, 07:17
Tecnic stuff's not TOO bad. I've got a Violator one piece. I was wearing the jacket half of a Chicane leather two piece when I came off the Gixxer and every seam on the thing split. It was fucked, grazed my KB hoody up real good too bugger it.

In regard to getting it from the US', bear in mind you'll get stung with GST too. Technic Chicane in cordura's only about a $280 jacket here anyway.

Waylander
6th July 2005, 07:27
http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_mens.htm

That might help to make sure you get the right size for you. States uses different sizing measurements than most.

bungbung
6th July 2005, 08:14
I have a chicane 2-piece. It's a weird shape, I'm tall, and it's a big suit but the waist is gigantic. I'm far from skinny so walking around with just the trousers on, I have to hold them up with one hand. You would be wise to go and try on anything first before you order them sight unseen.

TonyB
6th July 2005, 08:19
Hey Sefer, have you seen this? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13570)
And this? (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=12992)

vifferman
6th July 2005, 08:35
I've got a textile Teknic jacket, and it's pretty good. When I took it to Kerrie at MSW for repairs, she commented that the way Teknic leathers' seams are sewn is not good, as abrasion allows the seam to come apart. I don't know if this is true on their newer stuff, but from WT's comments, it looks like it might be. On leathers, the thing to look out for with seams is that the seams are double-stitched, with decent thread (kevlar is good), and any coloured or 'double' bits are sewn on top of the main garment, not sewn to the garment. The best seams are where the two parts are sewn to each other, then folded so the stitching is covered, then sewn again, preferably double. Then even if the first row of stitching is abraded through, the hidden row still holds everything together.

Unfortunately, a lot of stuff looks really good, but shortcuts are taken to make it easier to sew and cheaper on materials. Like elbows and areas that should be double thickness are in reality single thickness, and the seams introduce a potential weakness.

According to Teknic's website, the Chicane has:
"TASC (Teknic Advanced Seam Construction). Multiple rows of hidden stitching providing maximum seam strength",
so I'd say it should be pretty good.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 09:04
I'd check your costings very carefully. A Chicane in NZ is retailing at $299.00 inc. Even cheaper if you can find one on sale. It sounds like the ex-US price is getting very close to that.
In addition, you will not have a warranty here and if it's the wrong size you're stuck with it.

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 10:16
Wot Lou said - AND you'll be supporting local motorcycle business if you buy it locally - the importer, the retailer, the courier, even lil ol me.

If the price is 'ball park' buy it in NZ.

Coyote
6th July 2005, 10:37
I have the Cordura Chicane jacket and it's pretty good. Haven't crashed in it yet

White trash
6th July 2005, 10:39
Or even better, Go into your local friendly motorcycle shop, waste an hour of the helpfull sales guys time trying on all sorts of different shit, then say "I'll think about it" and go order it off the net.

They love it when you do that.

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 10:42
Yeah, that's the way. Come into AMPS and try lots of gear on.
What was the name again?

sefer
6th July 2005, 23:37
Thanks for all the input guys.

I'm planning on keeping looking locally as well, as I really do want something ASAP, but if I can manage to get something of reasonible quality for a decent amount less (or something I just happen to like a lot :) ) from an US order then that seems the way to go.

I think being in ChCh is part of the issue thou, I haven't been impressed with the range of stuff that I've seen here, it's slightly better in textiles than leather, but since I've had a slight change of heart and started thinking I'd rather a leather jacket it's made my misson that much harder. Plus the fact I am pretty fussy when it comes to spending cash, I always want to find the best item for the cash I've got, doesn't help matters.

TonyB
7th July 2005, 08:34
Didn't notice before that you're in Chch. Frosty's comment on another thread has given me a kick in the butt- I've got a leather jacket you can borrow till you get yourself sorted. If my leather pants don't sell on trademe you can borrow those too- I suspect they will sell though as they're a dollar off the reserve.

Send me a PM if you're keen. Then you can check out the leathers I got from Wildcat and see what you think of them. If you decide to go that way I'm happy to lend you the jacket till the order comes in.

Note I say borrow- if I don't see that jacket again my wife will hunt you down and kill you....she liiiiikes me in that jacket :love: :yes:

sefer
7th July 2005, 11:46
Hey that would be great! :) I'd perticularly like to check out those bel lethers, while they are probably a bit beyond me price wise atm I might get just a jacket.