PDA

View Full Version : Product Review. Paint Protection Services.

boman
16th July 2011, 20:23
The first I ever knew about PPS, was when I saw them at the Paeroa street races, in February. The guy selling the service was called Alan Heath, and he was very informative, helpful and easy to talk to. He had his ute there, covered in his product, showing his wares and the look.

The PPS, is a clear stretchy Fim, that he applies to the Bike, Car or Truck, in areas prone to stone chips and scratches. It is more or less invisable, once applied, and looks great.

Forward six months, and I called Alan up, to get an idea on covering my Daytona.I also Asked him to do my seat cowl, as the are prone to scratches from boots, bags etc. The price was $395.00 Fitted for all Pieces, including the cowl. These come as a large, self adhesive jigsaw.As Alan lives in Tauranga, he offers a mobile service, doing the Vehicle at your place of choice. He showed up on Friday, on time, and proceeded to start the job. Using a solution of soapy water he fitted the pices, quickly Professionally, and with great care and little fuss. In a couple of hours he was done.

I am impressed. You cannot tell it has been done, and he says that it can be removed at anytime without ruining the paint.

I can recommend Alan to anyone needing their bikes kept nice.

Contact him for an Idea of whether your bike can be covered.

Alan Heath
Paint Protection Services
Ph 027 242 5878 or 0800 800 817
e-mail alan@paintprotectionservices.co.nz
Web- www.paintprotectionservices.co.nz

MSTRS
17th July 2011, 10:54
Be aware....
With this (or any such) product, you can still get stone chips...you just can't see them as the film 'hides' them. All good - unless you remove the film. Often the chipped paint will stay stuck to the film and there you have a 'hole' in your otherwise pristine paintwork. So don't ever remove the film unless you really have to!
And I doubt he used soapy water. The soap reacts with the adhesive and turns yellowish. At least, it always did with the 3M film/adhesives. This stuff is best applied by experts, who understand how it all works.

But despite all that, filming vulnerable areas on your bike (or car) is a great idea. And Alan's method of having pre-cut pieces specific to your bike model is way better than the old method of slapping on a piece of the stuff and cutting to size on the bike.

boman
18th July 2011, 21:31
Be aware....
With this (or any such) product, you can still get stone chips...you just can't see them as the film 'hides' them. All good - unless you remove the film. Often the chipped paint will stay stuck to the film and there you have a 'hole' in your otherwise pristine paintwork. So don't ever remove the film unless you really have to!
And I doubt he used soapy water. The soap reacts with the adhesive and turns yellowish. At least, it always did with the 3M film/adhesives. This stuff is best applied by experts, who understand how it all works.

But despite all that, filming vulnerable areas on your bike (or car) is a great idea. And Alan's method of having pre-cut pieces specific to your bike model is way better than the old method of slapping on a piece of the stuff and cutting to size on the bike.

This could be true. He did say that the product has a 5 year warranty on a white bike. So I guess time will tell.