PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trader magazine, Adv article.

NordieBoy
16th July 2011, 22:52
Quite good (especially the sweet free beanie :woohoo:) except for a couple of oopses...

In the lists of adventure bikes and the pros/cons...
1. The DR650 does not have "a comfortable seat".
2. The CRF230F is "not quite as road oriented as the Yamaha (WR250R) or as grunty" because it's not road legal and it's a 2 valve, drum rear brake, damper rod forked, air cooled, bored out XR200 with electric start whereas the WR is 4 valve, water cooled, fuel injected, twin disc'd, cartridged forked, twice the price goodness.

Ahh, I feel much better now.

As you were...

MIXONE
16th July 2011, 23:26
Yep wore the beanie to kid's sport this morning.Very handy.

dino3310
17th July 2011, 09:12
i put the beanie on straight away and the bugga's stitching come apart:angry:
nice to get some thing though:woohoo:

best thing about the 230's is when the cocky's buy em the put aggressive nobbly's on them so i can get the Trail wings of them cheap as chips:shifty:

Night Falcon
17th July 2011, 09:45
Quite good (especially the sweet free beanie :woohoo:) except for a couple of oopses...

In the lists of adventure bikes and the pros/cons...
1. The DR650 does not have "a comfortable seat".
2. The CRF230F is "not quite as road oriented as the Yamaha (WR250R) or as grunty" because it's not road legal and it's a 2 valve, drum rear brake, damper rod forked, air cooled, bored out XR200 with electric start whereas the WR is 4 valve, water cooled, fuel injected, twin disc'd, cartridged forked, twice the price goodness.

Ahh, I feel much better now.

As you were...

I concur....CRF's start at 250, the 230 is an XRF and is no good for getting overweight middle aged "once were worriers" up steep fire breaks :facepalm:

fridayflash
17th July 2011, 16:04
im enjoying my beanie too.........sadly itll be worn to work and be covered in dsut and overspray by this time next week, but its nice till then;)

dr650 seat comfy!!!??? id love to have them say that after 500 off k's!
things start getting a little tender after 200k's and by 400 it feels like im sitting on a railway track!! hehe

bart
17th July 2011, 16:44
I think the DR seat is fine....but I do spend half my time standing. :scooter:

I'd better go get one of those beany things. 100% pure recycled coke bottles (polyester) I'd imagine.

fridayflash
17th July 2011, 17:00

I'd better go get one of those beany things. 100% pure recycled coke bottles (polyester) I'd imagine.

...............and milk bottles bart;)

BoristheBiter
17th July 2011, 17:28
I concur....CRF's start at 250, the 230 is an XRF and is no good for getting overweight middle aged "once were worriers" up steep fire breaks :facepalm:

That might be because it is not aimed at overweight middle aged people.

Night Falcon
17th July 2011, 18:04
That might be because it is not aimed at overweight middle aged people.

my 16 year old nephew never told me that when he said " I bet ya can't get the 230 up the widow maker uncle porky" :angry:

NordieBoy
17th July 2011, 20:05

I love it. Sister-in-law (to be) is onto her second. It gets raced. MX, X-Country, Enduro-X, Beach races...

Night Falcon
17th July 2011, 20:19
I love it. Sister-in-law (to be) is onto her second. It gets raced. MX, X-Country, Enduro-X, Beach races...

versitility is the hallmark of the XR for sure.:scooter:

Monstaman
18th July 2011, 11:04

...afta a mountain bike seat the DR is a couch :woohoo:

How does one get a free beanie made from recycled coke bottles .... always into a freebee (dutch blood :shutup: )

NordieBoy
18th July 2011, 12:57
...afta a mountain bike seat the DR is a couch :woohoo:

How does one get a free beanie made from recycled coke bottles .... always into a freebee (dutch blood :shutup: )

By buying an $8 magazine (with an adv bit in it)...

Monstaman
18th July 2011, 13:14
By buying an $8 magazine

Counts me out :killingme 8 dollars is half a days riding in South America!!! :woohoo:

warewolf
18th July 2011, 19:36
Sister-in-law (to be) is onto her second. It gets raced. MX, X-Country, Enduro-X, Beach races...... by all and sundry.:yes: :innocent: :woohoo:

19th July 2011, 09:18
Counts me out :killingme 8 dollars is half a days riding in South America!!! :woohoo:

Is that using a Mule or a Yak? :laugh:

Monstaman
19th July 2011, 11:00
Is that using a Mule or a Yak? :laugh:

Qualifies as both ....DR650 ...yak might be better tho at Prudhoe and Ushuaia being fluffier :p

20th July 2011, 16:29
Qualifies as both ....DR650 ...yak might be better tho at Prudhoe and Ushuaia being fluffier :p

Well I am still jealous that I can't go on an adventure like this :facepalm:

Crim
20th July 2011, 16:47

you should be back in three weeks or so............. :gob:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112&highlight=record

thommo77
20th July 2011, 19:46
The article was nothing more than a page-filler. The comments were pretty much from the manufacturers. I was expecting something a little more subjective.

Shewolf
21st July 2011, 08:08
c'mon Andi - gizzus a prep thread to drool over:yes:

Taz
21st July 2011, 10:25
There is a road registerable CRF230.....

Monstaman
21st July 2011, 10:42
Well I am still jealous that I can't go on an adventure like this :facepalm:

Take jealous and make it envy, take envy and make it fruit then come and meet up with us along the way ..... now THAT would be cool.

you should be back in three weeks or so............. :gob:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112&highlight=record

Dunno why he took so long :shit: yeah not totally my style but a HUGE effort none the less and simply outstanding endurance but we wonna see the place.

The article was nothing more than a page-filler. The comments were pretty much from the manufacturers. I was expecting something a little more subjective.

I felt a little bit the same but I guess there is not much time to stand and chat and take pics when on a mission like that.

c'mon Andi - gizzus a prep thread to drool over:yes:

Well there is not much to show other than cardboard cutouts for panniers etc, the real work will start mid August with pannier rack fabrication etc as we can't get what we want.

Will make a thread up then with the fun parts of organizing, building, the rest is gear lists, jabs :shit: etc .....and unlike Ewan and Charlie with don't have an office load of hot young lusties organizing us (as much as I would love to :yes:)

Shewolf
21st July 2011, 10:51
Will make a thread up then with the fun parts of organizing, building, the rest is gear lists, jabs :shit: etc

:corn:

.....and unlike Ewan and Charlie with don't have an office load of hot young lusties organizing us (as much as I would love to :yes:)

If I win lotto I'm going to get me a bike butler who'll wear teeny tiny shorts all year round. 'Oi...you there...bring the DR round with aggressive knobs...I'll be needing the Duke polished....and when you're done with that, have the Dakar bike made ready man...hop to it!'

Monstaman
21st July 2011, 12:10
:corn:

If I win lotto I'm going to get me a bike butler who'll wear teeny tiny shorts all year round. 'Oi...you there...bring the DR round with aggressive knobs...I'll be needing the Duke polished....and when you're done with that, have the Dakar bike made ready man...hop to it!'

...Well make sure he has a hot sister who wants to wear a bikini (top optional) to do the same ..... ouwell back to work for the mo :facepalm:

NordieBoy
21st July 2011, 13:00
There is a road registerable CRF230.....

CRF230L Disc brake rear and less power...