PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Clothing Specs

Pathos
5th July 2005, 23:53
Although I don't want to spend to much I want to spend too much I would like to know what is the minimum you should be wearing in the city and on the open road.

Some people say jeans are enough while others will say everything should be from a bike shop.

Are jeans enough in town? I know they won't survive but will they save your skin? Is denim better than cotton? Many jeans from the shops (including mine) are cotton nowadays.

I suspect that a pair of decent boots are needed wherever you go in case your feet get caught under the bike.

Is my $150 cyber helmet really good enough for open roads or will something more expensive protect me better at those speeds?

How thick should your leathers be? Mine will be alright for around town but possibly a waste of time in the country.

Zapf
6th July 2005, 01:34
Jeans only last a few meters of road if you end up sliding on them. Which you'll if you fall. Also they have got NO armor. So expect damage of some sort to knees.

There are dress leathers and there are motorcycle leathers, difference being thickness. MC leathers are usually at lease 1.1mm or thicker, dress leathers being much thinner.

I have binned at 60~70k's, rolled / slided in full race leathers on the road and walked away. I doubt I would have walked, or let alone lifted my arm if I was just wearing a helmet. Can you imagen landing on the road with your arms in front of you elbows 1st, then your knees, and then rolling and scuffing both your hips then sliding to a stop on your bum?

Usually if things can happen then they will happen. So buy the best protection you can afford as you'll be paying for it one way or another. E.g gear or medical bills and lost in income from not working.

Re helmet, anything with DOT will be ok. But you can get better, Snell 2000 rating would be best. And you can ones up with that rating for around $2xx

.... oh and re jeans, they actually grip onto the road and then end up ripping into your skin. so while the pair of jeans might still have some resemblence, you skin would most likely be rubbed into your jeans. Not trying to scare you... but its just plain stright real life.

WildBoarMouse
6th July 2005, 07:56
Check this out... it's an interesting site. Some good stats in there too about where riders are most likely to be injured. If you really have no choice but to go with the minimum amount of gear, then possibly and idea to cover the main spots.

Ride Forever - gear (http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/index.html)
Ride Forever - where you're most likely to sustain injury (http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/risk.html)

bear
6th July 2005, 08:03
...Is denim better than cotton?

Denim is cotton.

Yeah, I agree that the rideforever website is a good place to start.

Waylander
6th July 2005, 08:29
You peaple are pushing it a bit far arnt you? I doubt he will be riding around at racing speeds and having wrecks that are so serious that without any kind of gear what so ever he will break every bone in his body.

That and sometimes you just can't afford decent leathers that doesn't make himan idiot. Some is better than none so you don't need to go all out and get yourself a $2000 set of racing leathers and helmet and stuff. Jeans will work fine in the city and even on some country road aslong as you don't go too far over the speed limit.

Had a wreck a few months ago and I was just wearing jeans, nothing more than bruises to my legs. Sneakers is a definate no-no but you don't have to get alpine star boots either. As I said in another thread a good pair of work boots that have good support of the ankle will work fine. The helmet you definatly want to get the best you can but if that is only some cheap dot approved Vega something or other it will protect you.

Jackets don't need armour but the leather should be thick. I've got myself just a simple stitched cowhide jacket and it works just fine in my wrecks. I didn't hit any solid objects though and that is where the armour comes in.

So you don't need to have fancy gear and all but you do have to have proper gear. If you want I can meet you somewhere in town and we can see if your gear will be allright.

TonyB
6th July 2005, 08:37
My standards have changed over the years as I've gotten older and 'wiser'. These days I will not ride anywhere without my boots on. I'll ride into town in my jeans and jacket, but I don't feel comfortable doing it. For all other riding I wear two piece zip together leathers with CE armour, armoured gloves and obviously a helmet. I need to get a back protector.

There's plenty of leathers on trademe, plus Wildcatlgf is doing another order (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13570)

unhingedlizard
6th July 2005, 09:08
having had my fair share of spills I find my minimum these days is daggin jeans, boots (either heavy work or sportsbike boots), leather or paddock jacket, helmet (ya think?) and gloves.

Got a two piece suit to but looks a bit funny on the TDR. :wacko:

SuperDave
6th July 2005, 09:16
I would say that a pair of good tightish jeans would be alright for just commutinng/town riding provided you are not flying around being reckless.

I would stress though that you should wear a decent helmet, leather jacket and gloves as well as motorcycle boots or at the least boots that have angle support. This is what I ride when I am rididng to get somewhere as it is not practical to go to school etc in a full one piece leathers - which is what I wear when I got out for the sole purpose of riding.

Sparky Bills
6th July 2005, 09:17
Mate,
Jeans will not protect you whatsoever in a crash.
I see people wearing moto x pants on road bikes too..
These only make things worse in a crash as the melt to skin!

Best bet for you would be Draggin Jeans (or similar), boots, gloves, jacket and helmet.
There are plenty of options for you, Give me a PM if you have any other questions.
I have to admit, that i dont always follow my own rules. but I can also say that i have never crashed when not wearing protective clothing. And walked away from nearly all of them. (does crawling count? :whistle: )

Have a think about it.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 09:24
Jeans will work fine in the city and even on some country road aslong as you don't go too far over the speed limit.
the speed limit isn't going to save you. If you come off, you come off. My bro caught gravel on an open road. The road was a 100 zone, he was doing 80. I did the same corner in front of him at 1xx.. He flew off, and his leg ripped thru a 2x4 post. His leg (6 months on) is still broken. He was wearing his full leathers, and thick jeans over the top, with decent boots on. His jeans have a kick-mark where his shin and foot wrapped so far round the post, it kicked him on the same leg. If he wasn't wearing leather, his leg would have just plain ripped off.

It's not the speed that determins how much it hurts. It's the sliding and stopping (often into something) that hurts.

TradeMe often has a decent array of cordura stuff. I use it all the time, 2pce set. I paid new prices, the jacket and pants were about $600 together, which isn't too bad. I've seen similar gear on TM for $100 each. Same for boots and gloves. That's around $400 for your body protection. Many shops are doing good deals on helmets. The HJC-C14 (?) is around $170. A full face helmet that many people here have and swear by. If you can, even buy a back protector. I always ride with mine on.

Go save a little and buy something that'll save you from years of skin grafts, broken bones and steel inserted places, limbs lost, scars that look like something from Nightmare on Elm Street. It's not a case of if, it's when. You will fall. You will slide and tumble. You will want the most protection at the time. You won't know when it'll happen until it happens. You want to take that chance? If anything, just remember the poor peeps who have to come scrap the 30 metres of skin and bone you just left behind..

With a 2pce suit, you can take the jacket off and walk around in the pants. If they're big enough, you can put trousers/jeans underneath, so when you get where you're going, you just slide off the pants without having to get changed. I do it every day I ride to work. There's really no excuse. No matter what bike you have, or how fast you go. Sometimes it's not even your fault, and a lot of the time, you don't even see it coming. And that's just in the dry

vifferman
6th July 2005, 09:32
ALL my crashes have been at low speed, around town. Jeans are fine? Puh-leeease! First major-ish crash, I was wearing a leather jacket, open-face helmet, no gloves, jeans, and.... uh... jandals. Well - it was the middle of summer, and I was only going to visit a friend. And it was Christmas Day, so there was little traffic around. :whistle:

I T-boned a car, and luckily (?!??!) somersaulted over it (no sliding). Ended up with multiple grazes / contusions to my feet, 9 stitches to a ripped-up knee, no damage to my hands or other parts of my body, apart from a bit of a graze where the leather jacket rode up. Didn't hit my (new) helmet. I was very lucky.

Had I been wearing boots, and leather pants zipped to my jacket, I would have had no injuries at all, despite my bike being totalled. But, that was how I dressed then. I wore boots only if I was going dirt-biking, and gloves if it was cold. I wore my leather jacket almost always.

Since "those days", I wear a full-face helmet, almost always wear gloves, always wear a jacket (current one has two layers of armour in elbows and shoulders, built-in back protector), always wear boots, almost always wear leather pants.

Subsequent crashes have all resulted in only bruising, except for two where I "was only going a short distance, and it was only around town", so I was wearing slacks instead of leather pants. Both times, my pants were wrecked, and I was lucky to have only minor grazes to my knees. By the way: I've heard that skin grafts cost around $1000 per square inch...

My most serious crash (apart from the first one), I was wearing full gear, including leather pants with Knox armour, and boots with plastic armour in the toes, heel, shin, and both sides of the ankle. I mention this because my leg was squashed between the car that side-swiped me, and my bike. No broken bones (though a possibly cracked or bruised heel bone). In jeans and shoes, I would've more than likely had a badly broken leg / foot / ankle. Even so, I had to have a few weeks of physio, my heel hurts when the weather changes, there's a numb area on the inside of my knee, and the circulation in the lower part of that leg isn't as good as it was (slight 'compartment syndrome').

Look - I didn't PLAN to have any of these crashes. It's all very well to say "it's relatively safe around town, or under 100 km/h", but the reality is that most crashes occur around town, the traffic's denser, and the risk of an accident is higher. And the road is VERY hard and unforgiving.

Buy the very best gear you can afford. If you can't afford to protect yourself, or can't be bothered wearing gear, then you need to question if you can afford to be on a bike.

Helmets: I have hit my head only once, in the 8 or so times I've crashed/fallen off on the road. This was at an almost standstill: the bike had stopped, with a locked up front wheel, and I was pitched off, and hit my head as the bike went down. My first thought was "That really hurt!" I was actually shocked at how much it did hurt, as the impact wasn't particularly hard. I think part of it was that the impact point was where there was least padding / impact absorption on the helmet - right where the visor pivot was. This, unfortunately, happens to coincide with one of the places where the skull is thinnest - the temple. There was little visible sign of an impact on the helmet (AGV Vento, a $350 polycarbonate helmet), but I had mild concussion for 3 or 4 days! I am never buying another injection-moulded helmet, and I will look very carefully at the padding inside the next helmet I buy, to ensure there is adequate protection.

Another point is the weight. My current helmet (X-Vent) is made of mixed fibre-reinforced resin, and feels noticeably lighter than the previous one, despite the ticket saying the weight is about the same. Previous to the X-Vent, I've twice had minor whiplash when falling onto the road without hitting my helmet, as my head has been subjected to rapid deceleration at the point of impact.

They (whoever "they" are) say: "Buy a $50 helmet if you've got a $50 head". Personally, my brain is so &*($%#@ that $50 would be vastly over-capitalising my head, but you can't buy a decent $7 helmet. And having spent a lot of time visiting Waikato's Head Trauma Ward (or whatever it's called), I don't want to risk becoming a semi-vegetative 'person', so the next helmet I buy is going to be a goodun. :yes:

XP@
6th July 2005, 09:53
Stand naked in front of a mirror (at home behind closed doors please).
check out this photo (http://www.strangedangers.com/images/content/2898.jpg) (Warning: gore)
Look at yourself and decide which body parts you can afford to loose.
Put your clothes on and beetle on down to your local bike shop.

If you have been a regular customer, you may be able to pay off over a few of months. For them it could well be worth it because the better the gear you have, the longer you will keep coming back.

Another point to note, is that household insurance will cover your bike gear. so the next time you need any it will be a few years away or will be paid for by the insurance company.

Waylander
6th July 2005, 09:59
Bugjuice you'll note that I said that they work as long as you don't hit any solid objects and going slow may not save you a wreck but it will help.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 10:04
Bugjuice you'll note that I said that they work as long as you don't hit any solid objects and going slow may not save you a wreck but it will help.
I noted lots of things, but decided not to pick ;)
I understand what you're saying, but you don't have a choice of what you hit, else I'd go for the pillow factory every time. If you want to wear jeans, then don't go above 20kph. That way, you've got a pretty good chance of not being beat up too much. Still can break bones tho. Falling off a roof is less than that speed, and you can still break bones..

Just hate to see good flesh wasted.

But on the other hand, it helps natural selection.. think about it..

Waylander
6th July 2005, 10:10
Hey I understand and agree with getting true biker gear and all dont get me wrong, part of the reason I asked for your boots BJ. I just think some of you are wrong to push Pathos here into spending more than he can afford on gear right off. Get the best you can afford for now and start saving for better gear down the road. Something is better than nothing.

The way some of y'all talk here makes me thing that perhaps your better off in a cage becouse you're worried about every little thing that might get dammaged.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 10:15
'something is better than nothing'

exactly.
It's a case of buying what you can afford, for sure, and nothing happens over night. But it's not something to be forgotten about, just cos you don't have the dosh right now. That should then become priority uno.

And I'm not worried about coming off. I don't want to, but I'm not worried. Cos then I just wouldn't ride. The fun is in the bike, for sure. But things can go wrong. It's better to be prepared for that, then not think it's going to happen at all.. Once your gear is set up, and you're comfortable, then all the fun is in the bike

Waylander
6th July 2005, 10:17
'something is better than nothing'

exactly.
It's a case of buying what you can afford, for sure, and nothing happens over night. But it's not something to be forgotten about, just cos you don't have the dosh right now. That should then become priority uno.

And I'm not worried about coming off. I don't want to, but I'm not worried. Cos then I just wouldn't ride. The fun is in the bike, for sure. But things can go wrong. It's better to be prepared for that, then not think it's going to happen at all.. Once your gear is set up, and you're comfortable, then all the fun is in the bike
That is what I have been trying to say. Just lacked the abillity to put it into the right words.

vifferman
6th July 2005, 10:38
I just think some of you are wrong to push Pathos here into spending more than he can afford on gear right off.
I would argue that if you can't afford decent protective gear, then you can't really afford to own a bike.

Get the best you can afford for now and start saving for better gear down the road. Something is better than nothing.
Good advice. :niceone:

Falling off a roof is less than that speed, and you can still break bones
True. My worst injuries have been from falling off the bumper bar of the 4WD.
And even if you're in a car you can get badly injured, in a major accident.
But (BUT!) even in a minor 'fender bender' on a bike, you can get seriously injured. It's about reducing risk of injury. Do you have to buy a $1000 helmet, $600 gloves, a $2500 suit? No. But intelligent buying can buy you a lot of protection for a relatively small price, and the difference between cheap gear that offers very little real protection, and affordable gear that offers a lot is actually a small margin. F'rinstance, my bike pants were just over $200. They're full leather, badly designed and made, but made from good quality leather. They have survived several asphalt-surfing incidents with little more required than some restitching and application of shoe polish. I upgraded the 'double leather with thin foam' padding in the knees with the addition of some CE armour for less than $50. I'd say that given that I've had them nearly 10 years, the cost per day is pretty low.

Waylander
6th July 2005, 10:43
I would argue that if you can't afford decent protective gear, then you can't really afford to own a bike.
Hmm, unless you spent all the money you had on the bike. I see what you mean though. If the cost of gear was included in the bike price, that would make things easier.

vifferman
6th July 2005, 10:58
Hmm, unless you spent all the money you had on the bike. I see what you mean though. If the cost of gear was included in the bike price, that would make things easier. Unless you're buying second hand...
Most shops will give you a good price on gear if you get it at the time you buy the bike. Of course, you're paying an inflated price when you buy the bike anyway...

But yeah, buying/replacing bike gear is an on-going cost that should be figured into the price of bike ownership. It sometimes bugs me that no matter how I look after them, I have to keep replacing boots, helmet, gloves, etc. just because of normal wear. Because I prefer gloves with thin leather on the palm side, they develop holes in the fingers after two or so years of everyday use. I'm on my second pair of boots, which are now about 4 years old and have survived a significant crash. The first pair lasted 7 years, and are still good apart from the soles and velcro wearing out.

The advantage of leather over man-made materials is not just that it is more resilient to wear, but that generally it's more readily repaired, and also worth repairing. My (mostly) textile jacket is suffering from UV damage, and the velcro is tired (but can be replaced). It cost me about $600 when I bought it 5 years ago, and has had probably $350 of repairs over the years. But what can I replace it with? :spudwhat: I've now got it how I want it, but the fabric's just not up to NZ sunlight.

FROSTY
6th July 2005, 11:00
Yea guys for once I agree with waylander.The bloke is potentially a lifetime biker but at the moment hasn't got the moolah for good gear--
I'm the first bloke to puush for decent gear to be used
So you guys --what are YOU gonna do to sort this fella out ???
I have a pair of decent gloves and a pair of cudura pants--size largish he can borrow till he gets some decent gear.
Pathos --gimme a shout dude --theyer yours to borrow -ok

TonyB
6th July 2005, 11:35
Yea guys for once I agree with waylander.The bloke is potentially a lifetime biker but at the moment hasn't got the moolah for good gear--
I'm the first bloke to puush for decent gear to be used
So you guys --what are YOU gonna do to sort this fella out ???
I have a pair of decent gloves and a pair of cudura pants--size largish he can borrow till he gets some decent gear.
Pathos --gimme a shout dude --theyer yours to borrow -ok
I've got my leather pants on trademe- he can pay extravagant amounts of money for them and make me rich rich rich BUUUHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 12:26
I always wear a Cordura jacket, gloves and boots. In Summer I wear jeans for the daily commute, riding pants elsewhere. I've binned at 120 k's while wearing normal pants and cotton shirt and got away with one small laceration, but I don't recommend it.
Check the 'for sale' section for cheap gear.

FROSTY
6th July 2005, 12:33
I must say sometimes it seems to be a case of --god was smiling at me that day--if ya know what I mean.
As a courier a few (ok a lot) years ago i used to wear a paddock jacket thin gloves jeans and bike boots.-When you're hoppin off and on a bike 10 times an hour full leather gear gets friggin hot.
My theory was I was better being comfortable therefore better able to concentrate on avoiding a crash than fully protected and blinded by my own sweat---You try running up 3 flights iof stiars in full bike gear --then do it 20 times a day. :devil2:

Ixion
6th July 2005, 12:36
Hey I understand and agree with getting true biker gear and all dont get me wrong, part of the reason I asked for your boots BJ. I just think some of you are wrong to push Pathos here into spending more than he can afford on gear right off. Get the best you can afford for now and start saving for better gear down the road. Something is better than nothing.

The way some of y'all talk here makes me thing that perhaps your better off in a cage becouse you're worried about every little thing that might get dammaged.

I agree with Mr waylander, for what it's worth.

If you have unlimited funds it's dead easy. Go into Experience BMW, tell them you want the best of everything and give them a honking big cheque.

If like some of us, you have to count the pennies, then you have to spend more wisely.

And I also think it depends on how and where you will be riding.

Mr Pathos is not going to be blatting along at 250kph . If you are not a sports bike rider (ie you aren't going to be coming off at 200+ kph) you can get adequate protective gear for affordable prices by avoiding bike shops and their very high "brand name" markups. Mr Jackrat pointed out that good leather gloves can be got from Protector Safety for $15. Yeah , sure, they don't have all the kevlar this and that, but they'll protect your hands.

Work boots can cost a fraction what brand name bike boots do, and will give adequate protection.

You need a jacket anyway for warmth/rain protection. And a helmet of course. I don't believe that expensive helmets give much extra protection.

Leggings is the big question mark one, there's not much alternative to bike stuff and it's flipping expensive.

Try to have something of everything (lid, jacket, gloves, boots, pants), even if it's secondhand or not a fancy brand. Main thing is to have something on.

And, if you want the maximum safety for dollar value, then the first thing to buy is the cheapest . And the most unfashionable. Go get a $10 fluoro vest. That will cut the odds of you having to put any of the other gear to the test by about 35%. Best safety dollar around.

Just depends on whether being safe is what you're focused on or whether it's pretending to be Mr Rossi.

And remember , if you crash, even the fanciest most expensive gear in the world won't necessarily save you. Crash and you may die, gear or no gear. So, don't crash.

Wolf
6th July 2005, 13:02
"Dririder" Cordura leggings and jacket cost me bugger-all from Road and Sport, my Sidi boots were relatively cheap (and apparently the Spider boots are cheaper), gloves also were not too dear. Am I in a one-piece race suit? Do I look like Rossi? No on both counts. Am I warm, dry and protected? Yes. Did it cost an arm and a leg? No. I also bought a cheapish HJC helmet and invested $35 in a back protector.

I could have saved money here and there but I was aiming for protection and weather-proofing combined. What I got affords me protection from rain and cold and is padded and tear resistant should I fall off.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 13:25
Just check TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/listings_category_att.asp?mcat=0001-0026-1251-1276-&rewritten=true&sort_order=price_asc) and see what sort of combos you can put together for the money you've got. Fuk, there's leather jackets on there for 20 bucks!! Anyone can afford that. It's a tank and a bit of gas

Marmoot
6th July 2005, 13:28
Minimum clothing specs?

For guys, I suggest boots, gloves, leather suit, good helmet
For girls, I suggest boots, gloves, bra, thong

Wolf
6th July 2005, 13:30
Just check TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/listings_category_att.asp?mcat=0001-0026-1251-1276-&rewritten=true&sort_order=price_asc) and see what sort of combos you can put together for the money you've got. Fuk, there's leather jackets on there for 20 bucks!! Anyone can afford that. It's a tank and a bit of gas
Cash converters usually sell second hand riding gear - I'd steer clear of the helmets (who knows what internal damage has been done), but boots, gloves, jackets and leggings would be fine. If they look in good condition, they probably are.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 13:30
Minimum clothing specs?

For guys, I suggest boots, gloves, leather suit, good helmet
For girls, I suggest boots, gloves, bra, thong
not always :devil2:
NWS

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 13:33
Cash converters usually sell second hand riding gear - I'd steer clear of the helmets (who knows what internal damage has been done), but boots, gloves, jackets and leggings would be fine. If they look in good condition, they probably are.
yeah, wouldn't go buying a helmet off trademe. For one, you don't know what it's been thru (even 'new' could have damage), and you don't know if it's the right fit for yer nuggin. Prices in shops are coming down, so it pays to get something a bit more worth while. Like was said before, the price of the lid is the price that's in it..

Marmoot
6th July 2005, 13:35
not always :devil2:
NWS

It's quite subjective, mate.
For me, partially covered is more challenging and stimulating :love:

Beemer
6th July 2005, 14:34
having had my fair share of spills I find my minimum these days is daggin jeans, boots (either heavy work or sportsbike boots), leather or paddock jacket, helmet (ya think?) and gloves.

Mmn, daggin jeans - are you a shearer perchance? If so, we have a small flock in need of crutching...

I haven't got really expensive gear (apart from gloves, I LOVE gloves and I LOVE Spidi gloves!) but it is good enough to protect me in an off. I bought a Dririder jacket and some cheap (but very waterproof) Cordura pants in 2000 and they are still doing the business today. My boots were Stylmartin ones - again, not hideously expensive. Good helmet though - got that before I got the bike!

Some bike shops sell second-hand gear too - my husband got a really good pair of hardly worn boots for less than half price in Auckland once. There used to be a place in Wellington called Hunters and Collectors - that was where I got my leather jacket. They were in Upper Cuba St so may have had to move with the motorway extension, but other cities have similar places. I wouldn't dismiss Cash Converters either as they often have some nice riding gear. I can never buy it though - most of it is HUGE!

TonyB
6th July 2005, 16:04
Mmn, daggin jeans - are you a shearer perchance? If so, we have a small flock in need of crutching...

I wouldn't dismiss Cash Converters either as they often have some nice riding gear. I can never buy it though - most of it is HUGE!
LOL
and
have you considered that the gear may not be huge.... it could be you :bleh:

As for leather pants on trademe for $20- lets not get confuzzled, that's just the minimum or current bid. If there isn't a little red flag next to the price, then the sellers reserve hasn't been met, and they won't be sold until it is.

Pathos
6th July 2005, 17:01
Thanks for all the replies.

I do have the money to buy some decent gear but its more for practical reasons than money. I really want some boots cause the extremities are very vunerable but I won't be able to change them at Uni. This will mean walking around all day on them, which will wear the soles a lot more than usual, pain in the ass chucking out a $200 pair of boots cause theres no rubber left.

I think some large black leather boots similar to army boots would be good, the soles would be fine for walking on daily but stop my ankles twisting off but unfortunately wont protect against a direct collision with something.

Is there any leg protection you can get to wear under your jeans? Cause that would be perfect.

My jacket is half as thick as those in shops but It will be fine for around town. I've bought some proper MC gloves and a brand new helmet so no worries there. I'm just checking that I've got the right stuff.

I don't plan to make a habit of going over the speed limit, especially not on my learners. I know that my judgement of corners needs improving and my general awareness.

Ixion
6th July 2005, 17:08
Thanks for all the replies.

I do have the money to buy some decent gear but its more for practical reasons than money. I really want some boots cause the extremities are very vunerable but I won't be able to change them at Uni. This will mean walking around all day on them, which will wear the soles a lot more than usual, pain in the ass chucking out a $200 pair of boots cause theres no rubber left.

I think some large black leather boots similar to army boots would be good, the soles would be fine for walking on daily but stop my ankles twisting off but unfortunately wont protect against a direct collision with something.

Is there any leg protection you can get to wear under your jeans? Cause that would be perfect.

My jacket is half as thick as those in shops but It will be fine for around town. I've bought some proper MC gloves and a brand new helmet so no worries there. I'm just checking that I've got the right stuff.

I don't plan to make a habit of going over the speed limit, especially not on my learners. I know that my judgement of corners needs improving and my general awareness.

Sounds like you've pretty much sussed it. You have the same issue that i have with bike boots, they're not made for walking in. Fine for the weekend rider crowd, but what I wear on the bike I have to wear all day at werk. So it needs to be "office friendly" both in appearance, and in "sit at desk, walk around" practicality and comfort. Not much bike stuff is designed for the more-than-recreational biker nowdays.

Marmoot
6th July 2005, 18:20
Is there any leg protection you can get to wear under your jeans?

For girls, I recommend light brown sheer stockings... :love:
...and a garter

Wolf
7th July 2005, 09:01
I wear my dririder leggings over my trousers - they're made to be worn ove clothing anyway. I then just peel them off and park them by my desk with the jacket and boots.

You'd probably have to put them in your pack which may be difficult with all your books - and not to great if it's been raining.

I keep shoes at the office and change out of my boots when I get there. Occasionally I've gone straight to Head Office to do something down there so have had to wander around in my boots - not even the CEO commented. (Benefits of being in IT - you can dress how you like and the bosses are scared to pull you up on your attire... It might be their machine that needs your tender minestrones tomorrow)

Once when I was up at one of our Auckland Sites the CEO turned up and invited me along to dinner with him, the Auckland Manager and a few others. As I had ridden up to Aucks I had no choice but turn up at the restaurant in full armour - sat sweltering to death in padded leggings and motorbike boots all through dinner. The CEO merely asked how the bike was running.

You may be able to carry light shoes in your pack and change into them but you're stuck with carrying the boots around unless you can organise your own secure locker.

Waylander
7th July 2005, 09:07
Hmm here is a thought. If you don't want to carry your gear around all day you could ask a friend who lives near the school if you could stow it and your bike at thier place during the day. Also could have more secure parking than by the bookstore. Just a thought.

vifferman
7th July 2005, 09:14
You have the same issue that i have with bike boots, they're not made for walking in.
Mine (StylMartin Strada) are very comfy for wearing/walking in. But they don't look like dress shoes by any stretch of the imagination.

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 10:36
Try Motocross armour under your pants. That'll give you knee and shin protection, $29.00 for a pair of Fox guards.

XP@
7th July 2005, 11:36
Sounds like you've pretty much sussed it. You have the same issue that i have with bike boots, they're not made for walking in. Fine for the weekend rider crowd, but what I wear on the bike I have to wear all day at werk. So it needs to be "office friendly" both in appearance, and in "sit at desk, walk around" practicality and comfort. Not much bike stuff is designed for the more-than-recreational biker nowdays.
Be proud that you are a biker, if they can't cope with the MX boots, cordura and lid you turn up in that is their problem. If your boss complains then tell them that they can pay for your hospital and loss of work costs if you have a minor accident without the bike gear.
I wear my work stuff under my bike stuff and just strip off when i get in to the office, and there is a pair of normal shoes under my desk. You just have to put up with the "Don't you get hot?" and "Arn't you freezing" from the none initiates.
Also my boots (Gaerne MX boots) are fine for walking as far as I want to walk, if i need to go further then i take the bike.

Brett
7th July 2005, 20:38
I have a fieldsheer cordura jacket with all the pads in it adn some pants which were branded...but i cant remember the name. I STILL dont have any boots so i wear sneakers...but i feel very vulnerable in them. I figured that my hands are the first to hit the ground, so i bought some good Spool gloves. I figured that a good HJC helmet will do untill i have more bling.
When i am nto riding, i worry heaps about being taken out, but when i am riding, i forget all about it and just have fun.

the thought of my body connecting with a post at 100kph+ is not very cool at all...worries the shit outa me.

Pathos
7th July 2005, 21:26
The NZ safety have some nice boots for $230 odd, but I probably wouldn't be able to change up while wearing them. I've found some cheapish MC boots for $200 but the NZ safety boots definitely look like they have more ankle support.

I'll stick will my jeans around town and probably get some proper MC trousers for the open road. Those fox guards would be good for impact protection my won't protect my ass in a slide.

I'd never buy clothes off the net, especially safety gear. I'm very picky about how clothes fit. I can walk into a shop and buy something in 5 minutes if it feels right or waste 2hrs and not find anything.

Coldkiwi
11th July 2005, 12:58
Wear whatever you would be happy to be in if you were about to jump out the back of a moving truck. (helps to motivate you to put on the gear I find)