PDA

View Full Version : New biker on the shore, and seeking advice (Tim Adkins)

G4L4XY
18th July 2011, 18:49
Hi all..my name is Tim and i've been riding for just over a year now. I have a 2006 Hyosung GT250R, has been great to learn on and been reliable for a while but recently i've been having a rather strange problem and being a student I can't afford a mechanic to charge me to look for problems.
Basically what happens is during a ride to say hamilton I will be going say 100kmp/h and all of a sudden the revs will drop suddenly and then pick up again. Very sudden and kinda scary, I did have the bike in the shop and the mechanic though it was the side stand switch but it still does it. It's happend when the bike is a bit cold like just leaving home and also when it's well warmed up. I noticed it started happening after I rode it in some bad rain so im thinking it has something to do with that.
I also have another problem (lol) I hear a wierd sound when riding it's like a "raspy" kinda sound, like if I speed up and then reset the throttle to 0% I dunno how to explain it but it sounds like it could be the clutch.. When I speed up and clutch in to change gears it sounds aweful like just raspy is the only word I can tihnk of lol
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mom
18th July 2011, 18:53
Hi all..my name is Tim and i've been riding for just over a year now. I have a 2006 Hyosung GT250R, has been great to learn on and been reliable for a while but recently i've been having a rather strange problem and being a student I can't afford a mechanic to charge me to look for problems.
Basically what happens is during a ride to say hamilton I will be going say 100kmp/h and all of a sudden the revs will drop suddenly and then pick up again. Very sudden and kinda scary, I did have the bike in the shop and the mechanic though it was the side stand switch but it still does it. It's happend when the bike is a bit cold like just leaving home and also when it's well warmed up. I noticed it started happening after I rode it in some bad rain so im thinking it has something to do with that.
I also have another problem (lol) I hear a wierd sound when riding it's like a "raspy" kinda sound, like if I speed up and then reset the throttle to 0% I dunno how to explain it but it sounds like it could be the clutch.. When I speed up and clutch in to change gears it sounds aweful like just raspy is the only word I can tihnk of lol
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to KB! Good first post. It is a bummer when your bike starts playing up.

Mom
18th July 2011, 18:55
Can you please help?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/140131-New-biker-on-the-shore...and-seeking-advice?p=1130111132#post1130111132

Mods feel free to move the thread here and delete this for me.

Latte
18th July 2011, 18:58
Raspy noise is probably the chain (well it is on my bike) rubbing against stuff on decelleration , check tension and how worn it is.

NO idea on the cutting out, dodgy electrics or maybe poor fuel supply to the carbs?

G4L4XY
18th July 2011, 19:03
Raspy noise is probably the chain (well it is on my bike) rubbing against stuff on decelleration , check tension and how worn it is.

NO idea on the cutting out, dodgy electrics or maybe poor fuel supply to the carbs?

During a ride to like hamilton it would normally only cut out once during the whole trip which makes it more wierd, i've started putting 98 in it to see if that makes a difference (was putting 95 in)
Not sure about chain tension, bit of a noob in that area, whats a good method in checking that? The mechanic did say there were a few stiff spots and to just make sure I lube it often

FJRider
18th July 2011, 19:13
Your first issue is fuel or electrics ... I'm betting electrical.

Electrical ... ignition switch, battery, kill switch and side-stand connections ... for starters ..

Fuel ... kinked line, blocked fuel-tap or fuel-filter, air getting into the fuel line, shit in the carb, water in the fuel ..... to name a few possible's ...

Latte
18th July 2011, 19:15
Find a manual, will tell you how to adjust your chain for tension correctly, and should give you an idea on when the chain is needing replacement. Usually there;s a specific amount of vertical play in the chain when adjusted correctly. And you measure the distance between 20 or so links , and if it's more than a certain number the chain is flogged.

Or just wait till it starts chipping teeth off the sprocket :innocent: