PDA

View Full Version : How to ride a scooter

Drunken Monkey
6th July 2005, 09:40
How to ride a scooter, or "who's a cheeky monkey?"

I recently returned from a holiday which included a week in the Greek Isles. I finally got the photos from my mate's camera and have loaded them here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/index.php?cat=10330

They're actually good fun to ride, although the back starts to wobble as you lean over and nick the sideboards on the road. These 'shark' 125cc units will do over 125km/h as well, making you really miss your full-face helmet.

The low power means locating a surface with lower than the normal traction a sealed road gives you. In this case, a metal area on one the hairpins leading down to the main Thira port.
Grab a whole lot of brake and throttle, and try and stand off the seat.
Most of all, enjoy! (Oh, and get some cool photos taken so you can share the moment with all your friends who were stuck in wet, cold & rainy N.Z.)

vifferman
6th July 2005, 09:55
Burn baby, burn...

aff-man
6th July 2005, 10:02
leave point A : Open throttle
Arrive point B : Close throttle.

:rofl: :rofl:

Drunken Monkey
6th July 2005, 10:09
Burn baby, burn...

Let it be officially known that Vifferman RoXoRz your SoXoRz.
:Punk:
Cool pic!

Two Smoker
6th July 2005, 19:10
Farken young hooligans!!!

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 12:43
leave point A : Open throttle
Arrive point B : Close throttle.
:rofl: :rofl:
Then Dismount.
Walk into motorcycle dealer and say...'how much will you give me as a trade in on a motorcycle'

Flyingpony
7th July 2005, 12:57
Burn baby, burn...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12212&stc=1&thumb=1

Smoken alright and good to see they're wearing some bike gear.

Yesterday spotted a scooter rippen through a car park at neck breaking speeds in traditional scooter dress: shorts, sneakers, no gloves, thin sweater and open face helmet - :nono:

vifferman
7th July 2005, 13:12
A coupla years back, I picked up a scooterist just down the road from work. He'd had an argument with a car at an intersection and lost. The scooter was some very shiny black Italian thing, with wide bars, chrome (well, mostly chromed plastic) everywhere. So, of course he was wearing black open-face helmet, shades, black denim jacket (not done up) and jeans (done up), and jandals. Which came off when he hit the deck. Along with a small amount of skin from his tootsies, and a dinner-plate sized bit of skin from his back. Ouchies...

I felt positively overdressed, with armoured boots, jacket, pants and gloves, and a fullface helmet.
I've seen him several times since, in the same sort of gear as back then. :weird:

enigma51
7th July 2005, 13:22
A coupla years back, I picked up a scooterist just down the road from work. He'd had an argument with a car at an intersection and lost. The scooter was some very shiny black Italian thing, with wide bars, chrome (well, mostly chromed plastic) everywhere. So, of course he was wearing black open-face helmet, shades, black denim jacket (not done up) and jeans (done up), and jandals. Which came off when he hit the deck. Along with a small amount of skin from his tootsies, and a dinner-plate sized bit of skin from his back. Ouchies...

I felt positively overdressed, with armoured boots, jacket, pants and gloves, and a fullface helmet.
I've seen him several times since, in the same sort of gear as back then. :weird:
the wife has a 50cc at the moment and trust me she is in full armour ALWAYS. It does not take high speed to do damage!

enigma51
7th July 2005, 13:25
Scooters are good fun as they go slow enough to realy "push them hard" and feel all good about yourself and believe it or not you get away with so much more around cops. If I must do half the shit on my bike that I do on the wifes they will have me in jail!!!!!