PDA

View Full Version : 4X4 drivers

Bartman10
6th July 2005, 09:53
Check this guy out. Fairly typical of 4X4 dirvers!

SpankMe
6th July 2005, 09:57
and he prick just keeps going. Should be dragged from his cage and shot.

A new law is needed. If ya want to drive a 4x4, you must first agree to be castrated.

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 10:01
didn't look like a 4x4.. looks more like an S70 to me.
I've seen that clip before. I hope the driver was strung up by their bollox or tits and beaten with a spiky club.

If I were that car coming towards what just happened (heading away from the cam), I'd have stopped (as long as it was obvious what just happened) and beaten the crap out of them.

Just glad that copcam was there, else they would have got away with that

Motu
6th July 2005, 10:03
Where does the 4x4 bit come in? All I see is a yellow Volvo car????

Lou Girardin
6th July 2005, 12:46
It's just a bit of literary licence Motu, 4X4 owners are the new Volvo drivers.
But they are proving Darwin right.

merv
6th July 2005, 12:59
They got no worries, Volvos are safe cars eh!! Just proves it!! Its buses that aren't safe to be on the road.

White trash
6th July 2005, 13:08
Ummmm, was that people falling out of the front windscreen of the bus? Fucken 'ell, I hope no one was killed in that.

Jantar
6th July 2005, 18:22
It's just a bit of literary licence Motu, 4X4 owners are the new Volvo drivers.
But they are proving Darwin right.

Here we go again. The complaints against 4x4 drivers came up a few months ago. However there are some of us who NEED a 4x4 for various reasons. In fact the only cage I own is a 4x4.

For those who are so much against them, please come and show me how to get to work in the winter with a 2WD cage, how to tow a horse float on the cavalcade wit a 2WD, etc. :no: :no:

WINJA
6th July 2005, 18:45
MY STUPID PEWTER WONT LET ME PLAY VIDEO BUT I HOPE ITS NOT OF ME AND CRAZY STEVE TAKING A TEST DRIVE IN AN ISUZU , DID YOU KNOW THEY CAN SPIN ALL FOR WHEELS ON SOMEONES FRONT LAWN IN REVERSE?

DingDong
6th July 2005, 19:12
freaky! :weird:
Might be WINJA and CrAzYsTeVe, Winja's obsesed with doing a runna :rofl:

Hpoe what eva came out the front wasnt human :no:

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 09:25
Here we go again. The complaints against 4x4 drivers came up a few months ago. However there are some of us who NEED a 4x4 for various reasons. In fact the only cage I own is a 4x4.

For those who are so much against them, please come and show me how to get to work in the winter with a 2WD cage, how to tow a horse float on the cavalcade wit a 2WD, etc. :no: :no:

Unfortunately, those that need 4WD's suffer collaterall damage from the general loathing of most other road users
They're most anti-social vehicle that's allowed to use our roads, they kill out of proportion to their numbers, many owners openly admit that this is the reason they buy them, they use resources far more than normal cars, they exascerbate traffic congestion. But hell! It's a free country, isn't it?

750Y
7th July 2005, 09:47
When i was looking for a new wagon my prerequisite was I needed a ute as it's the most practical wagon for my lifestyle, plus it's got to be 4 doors for the family, then it came down to 4wd or 2wd & given my old 2wd hilux would spin on wet grass loaded up, & believe me they get loaded up, I went 4wd. i can get it in/out the bottom paddock when it's boggy & lauch/retrieve my dinghy on a slippery boat ramp. I can also tow the tractor out if it gets stuck & go offroad & drive down the beach anytime, plus will be handy going skiing this year.
As for the size well that's it's only downfall really, although some think this is an advantage, I'm not convinced. I'd lower it but it'd ruin some of it's practicality. as far as the Remuera tractor brigade goes which is who this thread is probably aimed at, i see no reason to own one if you live in town & You don't do outdoor stuff.

Motu
7th July 2005, 11:08
Being a long time rider of dual purpose bikes I'm suprised I didn't get a 4X4 earler,although I did have an RL Bedford 20 yrs ago,I used to drive around town and park in the city with it,the most impractacle 2 seater I've ever owned,but a lot of fun.The Pajero is cetainly the most practicle vehicle I've ever had - I can take up to 7 people,and often do,as that's the size of my family,the seats fold everywhich way and I can fit a suprising amount of crap in there,and even sleep,somewhat uncomfortably,on the double bed.It can tow some serious loads,taking a 17ft caravan a few weeks ago no worries.I don't go off road much,but use it to haul my dirt bikes onto farms etc.It's a great comfortable tourer and am now putting 1000km a week on it easily....tyres last forever and for it's size and weight returns 28mpg.I was full of scorn for 4X4s,remember my ''Dark Side'' thread? But now I see how useful they are I think I'll always have one now.Like my DP bikes,I see it as an all condition vehicle,it's ready for anything...anytime.

TriumphMan
7th July 2005, 11:54
Hey, I've got a 4x4, but I used to drive heavy goods vehicles in the UK so I drive it with the same level of respect for it's limitations that I did when driving a truck. Most of the drivers of 4x4s I see driving around drive it as if it was a car. Therin lies the problem, it's not a car, it's a truck. I even went on a 4x4 training course with Land Rover Expereince in Rotorua. It should be compulsory to take and pass a test for vehicles of a certain shape and center of gravity. That would take a fair amount of them off the road and educate the rest. The crash in the video, however hideous, was not caused by a 4x4, it was caused by an idiot who pulled out in front of a bus who was too ignorant to realise that it couldn't slow down fast enough and would have to swerve. The accident could have been caused by a bicycle, motorbike or another car.

onearmedbandit
7th July 2005, 12:01
But hell! It's a free country, isn't it?

Yep it is, thats why I can choose to buy a thirsty V8 petrol 4x4. And I did. And I love it.

White trash
7th July 2005, 13:25
Hey, I've got a 4x4,

I like how you didn't say "I drive a 4X4", 'cause we all know that's crap, eh J? :whistle:

White trash
7th July 2005, 13:37
After the kiddies go home mate. WT as a dad, is a hell of a lot less fun than WT the piss head.

TriumphMan
11th July 2005, 11:01
I like how you didn't say "I drive a 4X4", 'cause we all know that's crap, eh J? :whistle:

Well, despite being relagated out of the garage onto the road by the bike you sold me, I still do drive it, but probably not as much since you started selling me bikes, hey, I might actually get to knock another 5kms to the filling station and back this week in the 4x4! :)

scumdog
11th July 2005, 11:32
During this weekends ride I saw quite a few 4x4s coming towards me, the lean angle of some of them in the twisty bits was quite alarming, especially considering there was a good liklihood of black ice.

Also amuses me to see so many 4x4s with road tyres on them - obviously the tar seal where they drive is firm enough they won't get bogged!!!

Most of the serious off-road types/those with a REAL need drive o.k., it's just those that treat the 4x4 as if it is just a big car that worry me- scarey!!

Ixion
11th July 2005, 12:09
During this weekends ride I saw quite a few 4x4s coming towards me, the lean angle of some of them in the twisty bits was quite alarming, especially considering there was a good liklihood of black ice.

Also amuses me to see so many 4x4s with road tyres on them - obviously the tar seal where they drive is firm enough they won't get bogged!!!

Most of the serious off-road types/those with a REAL need drive o.k., it's just those that treat the 4x4 as if it is just a big car that worry me- scarey!!

Mr Jackrat summed it up , somewhere. You have to drive them like a truck. Not a car. Maybe different for the real poncy ones, the RAV4 things, they are sort of cars with pretentious extras. But the real 4x4s are trucks. I even call mine the truck. The problems is that Wannabe Wally and Soccer Mom buy them (for totally stupid reasons) and expect them just to be a big fancy car - cos they don't know how to drive anything else.

marty
11th July 2005, 12:15
what i'd like to know is, if the bus driver had enough time to flash his/her lights, wouldn't they have had enough time to actually take some POSITIVE action, instead of losing control in what looks like a perfectly avoidable crash. hell even shunting the volvo in the arse would have been a better outcome. it's a good 4 seconds before the bus starts swerving.

marty
11th July 2005, 12:22
i've had a few 4x4's, mostly when i was multisport racing - perfect for 4 bikes, kayaks, tents, riverbeds, forests, 7 kids etc. since then i've had 6 cylinder cars/wagons. i'm only sticking with the diamante now as it's cheap (on LPG), but if i had a choice i'd be in one of those commodore V8 4x4 wagons, only cause i think they are outrageous! missus said 'those new discovery's are nice'. hmmm - nice price too:no:

in the meantime i'll drive the diamante like a 4x4.....and hang bikes/kayaks/surfboards off the roof/towbar, or use the trailer :)

That Guy
11th July 2005, 13:46
I drive a 4x4 - the only reason being it takes heaps of gear and tows my bike trailer with 2 or 3 bikes no problems. When I was a motocrosser it was good for not getting stuck too in muddy paddocks. I can chain down my tool chest in the back of it too. I could've gotten away with a commodore station wagon space requirements wise, but I like how high 4x4s are for getting in and out of, including loading heavy tool chests into them without breaking your back etc. Also it's a Diesel and you can't get a car diesel wagon (unless you wanna spend $80k on a Mercedes Benz or Audi or VW)....seen the price of petrol recently?

Plus they're big and comfortable for sitting in Dorkland traffic going nowhere.

Sure they handle like shit but I don't need a fast car and a fast bike on the road....

Lou Girardin
11th July 2005, 14:20
Ain't it great. Everyone, barring the owners, accept that they're not like cars to drive. Yet anyone with a car licence can drive them.
Maybe a class 1a licence will discourage people from buying these things.
BTW Although I hate Remuera taxis, I owned a couple a few years ago. Biggest pieces of crap I've ever had for road use, but great fun off-road. Perhaps owners should be required to show at least 30% off-road use when they go to re-licence them each year.

That Guy
11th July 2005, 15:07
Ain't it great. Everyone, barring the owners, accept that they're not like cars to drive. Yet anyone with a car licence can drive them.
Maybe a class 1a licence will discourage people from buying these things.

I'm an owner I was stating that I accept they don't handle the same. What is it with the majority being blamed for the minorities' errors in this country?

Anyway re the licence thing - not a bad idea - especially for some of those soccer mums out there...but I reckon a worse problem is a 15 year old being allowed to drive a WRX or Holden V8. Perhaps any car over 150KW needs a 1b licence.....

Lou Girardin
11th July 2005, 15:11
I'm an owner I was stating that I accept they don't handle the same. What is it with the majority being blamed for the minorities' errors in this country?

Anyway re the licence thing - not a bad idea - especially for some of those soccer mums out there...but I reckon a worse problem is a 15 year old being allowed to drive a WRX or Holden V8. Perhaps any car over 150KW needs a 1b licence.....

Sorry, you're the exception that proves the rule :Punk:
It's always good to generalise, you can condemn a whole section of the population with a few words as possible. :devil2:

Motu
11th July 2005, 15:29
There appears to be a missing gene in todays society,OSH have noticed this and stepped in to protect everyone incase they have the missing gene.Kinda hard to know you aren't driving something a little different - first thing my younger daughter said after she drove the Pajero for the first time was ''Hey,this thing handles terrible! It leans over real far in corners!'' If an 18 yr old girl can see she has to alter her driving to compensate for driving a 4X4,why can't the rest of the driving population? I think it would be an insult to make her go on a special course just to drive my Pajero,she was mature and experianced enough at 18 to cope....why can't other people handle something a little different....it's how we learn,a new experiance.

That Guy
11th July 2005, 15:35
There appears to be a missing gene in todays society,OSH have noticed this and stepped in to protect everyone incase they have the missing gene.Kinda hard to know you aren't driving something a little different - first thing my younger daughter said after she drove the Pajero for the first time was ''Hey,this thing handles terrible! It leans over real far in corners!'' If an 18 yr old girl can see she has to alter her driving to compensate for driving a 4X4,why can't the rest of the driving population? I think it would be an insult to make her go on a special course just to drive my Pajero,she was mature and experianced enough at 18 to cope....why can't other people handle something a little different....it's how we learn,a new experiance.

That's what I mean. We seem hell-bent on penalising the majority for the minorities' actions. See they want now to have only certified builders even modify the handle on your kitchen cupboard? Another rule about to be brought in becuase of one idiot putting a knife blade on his kitchen cupboard door as a handle. Punish 4 million for 1 person's idiotic actions. Thats the way to go yeah.

TriumphMan
11th July 2005, 17:10
It's always good to generalise, you can condemn a whole section of the population with a few words as possible. :devil2:

Two exceptions dude, I drive a 4x4 too and drive it like a truck, not a car. A 4x4 license would be a good idea

Jackrat
11th July 2005, 17:13

Ahemm old chap,I belive I said something about that a far while ago.
But your right it is good to genralise,works most of the time anyway :msn-wink:
I've had three 4x4s an a couple of other things I used for the same purpose,but the 4X4s were just a lot better at it.
I sold my Patrol resently because I didn't need it anymore.Funny thing is,the Mrs who never really liked it "reckoned it was just a big ugly truck" :weird:
now wants another one.She has a RAV4 an has found out that even though it looks good "to her" it's even more unstable than the Patrol was an can't tow a double horse float.An yeah she would of tryed had I not stopped her.
A seprate licence class would be a good idea but for the fact people would just get it an carry on as usual.I mean does having a standard drivers licence stop some people from driving their cars like prats ?
Ya' really can't win either way.

TriumphMan
11th July 2005, 17:21

Hey, if the price of making the road safer is to insult people by making them take extra licenses, then so be it. There is not much point in asking why the rest of the population cannot change their attitude. They have to be made to change their attitude. I was perfectly capable of driving a 23 tonne truck when I was 18 before I actually every had to drive one. The driving course and test showed me that the truck was capable of doing all sorts of nasty things I hadn't thought about. Same with 4x4s. Your daughter may be capable and mature enough to drive a 4x4, but not everyone is and a 4x4 license if ever introduced would have to apply to everyone.

Ixion
11th July 2005, 17:21
Ahemm old chap,I belive I said something about that a far while ago.
But your right it is good to genralise,works most of the time anyway :msn-wink:
I've had three 4x4s an a couple of other things I used for the same purpose,but the 4X4s were just a lot better at it.
I sold my Patrol resently because I didn't need it anymore.Funny thing is,the Mrs who never really liked it "reckoned it was just a big ugly truck" :weird:
now wants another one.She has a RAV4 an has found out that even though it looks good "to her" it's even more unstable than the Patrol was an can't tow a double horse float.An yeah she would of tryed had I not stopped her.
A seprate licence class would be a good idea but for the fact people would just get it an carry on as usual.I mean does having a standard drivers licence stop some people from driving their cars like prats ?
Ya' really can't win either way.

Yes, agreed, I don't think it is the 4x4's that are the problem, it's the drivers Incompetant but aggressive drivers are attracted to them because they think they will be "safe" , and the size of them lends itself to passive bullying. I've heard many of them say pretty much that (in more self congratulatory terms of course).

If they weren't driving the SUVs they'd be just as bad in Volvos and such like (I think that SUVs have replaced Volvos).

I don't have an answer. The whole concept of driver training and policing in this country is wrong.

Motu
11th July 2005, 17:54
Hey, if the price of making the road safer is to insult people by making them take extra licenses, then so be it. There is not much point in asking why the rest of the population cannot change their attitude. They have to be made to change their attitude. I was perfectly capable of driving a 23 tonne truck when I was 18 before I actually every had to drive one. The driving course and test showed me that the truck was capable of doing all sorts of nasty things I hadn't thought about. Same with 4x4s. Your daughter may be capable and mature enough to drive a 4x4, but not everyone is and a 4x4 license if ever introduced would have to apply to everyone.

I have a licence to drive a B Train,and have had it for 33yrs - I could possibly drive one,but never have...does the fact I have a licence for one make me capable??

TriumphMan
12th July 2005, 10:55
I have a licence to drive a B Train,and have had it for 33yrs - I could possibly drive one,but never have...does the fact I have a licence for one make me capable??

Hi Dude,

Not argueing, just putting my point of view.

Trains don't generally do U-Turns in front of bikers and kill them. 4wd do. You need a license to drive a car, you need a license to drive a truck, you need a license to ride a bike. I had to do all the training, and I was never insulted by having to do any of it or having to take a test. I'm not the only one here who thinks that 4wd drivers should have a separate category on their license, and I own a 4wd.

I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it but I do respect it.

Motu
12th July 2005, 11:34
Not really going against your opinion - I just can't believe people haven't got the brains to realise they are driving a vehicle with different dynamics than a car,you'd think it'd be pretty obvious.So once again we have have to legislate against people not taking the responsibilty themselves - I must be an old fart,I don't know where this attitude comes from,but it seems it's here to stay.

Lou Girardin
12th July 2005, 11:56

Same here Motu, I've got all truck and trailer classes under the 'grandfather' clause. But there's no way I'd be safe in a B train.
As far as driver training goes, the LTNZ believe that advanced training makes drivers 'over-confident' and liable to have accidents. Bless their little cotton walk socks.
Funny how they've dropped the safety from their name.

TriumphMan
12th July 2005, 12:22
Same here Motu, I've got all truck and trailer classes under the 'grandfather' clause. But there's no way I'd be safe in a B train.
As far as driver training goes, the LTNZ believe that advanced training makes drivers 'over-confident' and liable to have accidents. Bless their little cotton walk socks.
Funny how they've dropped the safety from their name.

Well, they (LTNZ) are the same people who said in two consecutive sentences, that a disproportionate number of accidents happen at round abouts. We think that there should be more roundabouts to slow drivers down. Although, my all time favourite was when they wanted people to pay more attention at intersections and then put up billboards at intersections that distract people and potentially cause more accidents.

I find myself stopping at all roundabouts these days as people are indicating they are turning right when they are going straight ahead. I think the current confusion over indicating, despite the simplicity of the rule itself, has done more harm than good. Any comments??

TriumphMan
12th July 2005, 12:27
Not really going against your opinion - I just can't believe people haven't got the brains to realise they are driving a vehicle with different dynamics than a car,you'd think it'd be pretty obvious.So once again we have have to legislate against people not taking the responsibilty themselves - I must be an old fart,I don't know where this attitude comes from,but it seems it's here to stay.

Sweet as. I think that we are on the same page probably. I'm not sure what a B Train license is. I have a UK C+E for an articulated truck, or a rigid truck with an extra trailer. Same thing?

Maybe too many people drive here as if it is a right, rather than a priviledge earned. I dunno. UK and European driver licensing rules are different. It is worth noting though that New Zealand has nearly twice as many accidents per head than the UK.

Lou Girardin
12th July 2005, 12:33
Sweet as. I think that we are on the same page probably. I'm not sure what a B Train license is. I have a UK C+E for an articulated truck, or a rigid truck with an extra trailer. Same thing?

Maybe too many people drive here as if it is a right, rather than a priviledge earned. I dunno. UK and European driver licensing rules are different. It is worth noting though that New Zealand has nearly twice as many accidents per head than the UK.

There are many reasons for that. One of the main ones is that the LTNZ relies on Victorian research because their recommendations provide great cashflow.
Hasn't helped the death rate much though.
The reality is that the Europeans do much better with road safety because they treat driving as a privilige and a skill.

Motu
12th July 2005, 13:05

Like Lou says,I just have a heavy truck and trailer,but it allows me to drive anything on the road...even if I can't.A ''B'' train is the truck and trailer unit you see on our roads,the trailer sits on a turntable on the back of the semi.They never had those when I got my truck and trailer licence,which I did in an artic,or semi - the company I worked for at the time had ''A'' trains,but we called them doubles back then....the semi pulled another semi on a ''dolly''....all semi's were interchangable.I think ''A Trains'' are illeagal now,or you require a special licence to drive one.I'm not a truck driver,but I was a truck mechanic,I needed a licence for my job.