PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

nzspokes
21st July 2011, 22:17
I got my bike a month or so ago. Old and cheap because I dont have much money due to lots of things. Its been a life time dream. But it was a start. Fixed up its little problems. Was running when I got it. Went through my BHS. Got my licence. That weekend was the best ever going for a long ride. I loved it on my old bike. The next monday I rode to work and my bike died. And its not run again. I got to ride it for 3 days. That was 2 weeks ago. Its an eletrical fault and ive repaced every component in the system and checked every wire. Ive been sleeping 2 to 4 hours a night to have time to work on it after work. Im exhausted.

So do I keep trying our give up?

hayd3n
21st July 2011, 22:25
surely there is someone who can help ya?

DrunkenMistake
21st July 2011, 22:25
Either get rid of it,
or
Take it to a shop.
most shops let you pay 50% then pay the rest off.

nzspokes
21st July 2011, 22:34
surely there is someone who can help ya?

Ive had stacks of advice from here and other places. Dont get me wrong.

And the guy from Action Wreckers has been awesome to. Great guy.

But just cant afford to hire someone to do it for me.

Berries
21st July 2011, 23:44
Put it away for a while until you have saved a few pennies so you can pay someone to tell you what is wrong. Electrics are the Devils work.

onearmedbandit
21st July 2011, 23:49
How have ascertained it's electrics? And every electrical component? Just asking.

Berries
22nd July 2011, 00:01
How have ascertained it's electrics? And every electrical component? Just asking.
Good thought. Have you checked the petrol ?

nzspokes
22nd July 2011, 06:17

Yup. No spark.

ukusa
22nd July 2011, 16:33
Yup. No spark.

you havn't accidentally knocked the KILL switch?

The Singing Chef
22nd July 2011, 18:41
you havn't accidentally knocked the KILL switch?

Ha..ha that would be a sight to see..

Mully
22nd July 2011, 18:43
Ha..ha that would be a sight to see..

Wouldn't be the first time.

Latte
22nd July 2011, 18:47
I got my bike a month or so ago. Old and cheap because I dont have much money due to lots of things. Its been a life time dream. But it was a start. Fixed up its little problems. Was running when I got it. Went through my BHS. Got my licence. That weekend was the best ever going for a long ride. I loved it on my old bike. The next monday I rode to work and my bike died. And its not run again. I got to ride it for 3 days. That was 2 weeks ago. Its an eletrical fault and ive repaced every component in the system and checked every wire. Ive been sleeping 2 to 4 hours a night to have time to work on it after work. Im exhausted.

Simple, keep trying. You aint the 1st to be in this boat, and when you do finally crack it you'll feel like a million bucks.

In years to come you wont remember the 2nd, 3rd, 4th bike as much as the 1st. And the memory will be better knowing you didn't give up.

If you feel like you don't know what to do next stop. Forget eeeeverything you've checked, and start at the start. MAke a note of everything you test, what you did to confirm it was or wasnt working. Then move onto the next thing.

Also there's a guy on here thats spent a fiar bit of time mucking with his cb250 , he might be willing to test parts on his bike for you, to confirm if they're nackered?

maggot
22nd July 2011, 18:47
I vote some of us aucklanders get a posse together and have a workshop night, see what we can figure out. Don't they do something similar down south quite often? Seems to work for them, surely enough of us with half a brain can gather at somebodies house with some beer and some tools and try to figure out a bung bike?

The Singing Chef
22nd July 2011, 18:52
I vote some of us aucklanders get a posse together and have a workshop night, see what we can figure out. Don't they do something similar down south quite often? Seems to work for them, surely enough of us with half a brain can gather at somebodies house with some beer and some tools and try to figure out a bung bike?

That could be a cool idea!

Voltaire
22nd July 2011, 18:56
I have a FXR 150 bucket and when I bought it the PO could not get it to run.
I spent a few hours on it and the plug even had a spark....
Found the fuel was off.( as in old).

Do you have 12 plus volts at the battery?
12 plus at the ignition unit?
have you tested the coil/lead/plug?
are the earth/ negitive cables clean ?
Tested earth/ negitive continuity from battery thru to ignition unit and coil?

its often the simple things.

nzspokes
22nd July 2011, 19:03
I have a FXR 150 bucket and when I bought it the PO could not get it to run.
I spent a few hours on it and the plug even had a spark....
Found the fuel was off.( as in old).

Do you have 12 plus volts at the battery?
12 plus at the ignition unit?
have you tested the coil/lead/plug?
are the earth/ negitive cables clean ?
Tested earth/ negitive continuity from battery thru to ignition unit and coil?

its often the simple things.

I have a thread going in the electric fourm on specifics. But battery power is not used in this age of Hondas. Power comes from the stator. Not getting power to the coil let alone the plug.

Petrol is not an issue as im looking for a spark.

FJRider
22nd July 2011, 20:14
Petrol is not an issue as im looking for a spark.

Perhaps ... looking for a SHORT may be more productive ...

This may sound weird ... BUT ... try starting (or at least ATTEMPTING) the bike in TOTAL darkness ...

Short-outs can be seen so much clearer ...

cheshirecat
22nd July 2011, 20:14
This has all the hallmarks of something really simple but super fustrating until the light shines. Your only consolation its not Lucas or Miller electrics

Oakie
22nd July 2011, 20:27
Had a similar one recently. Bike went fine when i parked it. Went to turn it on and ... absolutely nothing. Almost. After a time I discovered the heated handgrips were working. That was all. Turned out that when the shop had fitted the heated handgrips the cable that is clipped into the ignition circuit (think small guillotine time thing) went too far and either nearly severed the cable or did sever it but left the componants touching. Of course it was just a matter of time until ...

Voltaire
22nd July 2011, 20:54
This has all the hallmarks of something really simple but super fustrating until the light shines. Your only consolation its not Lucas or Miller electrics

probably easier to sort out....:innocent:

nzspokes
22nd July 2011, 23:24
I now have spark. All is good with the world.

Its not run for more than a few seconds yet. But it will. :yes:

Oakie
23rd July 2011, 17:12
I now have spark. All is good with the world.

Its not run for more than a few seconds yet. But it will. :yes:

Good on you. Perseverence has it's rewards (although in my case taking it to the bike shop had it's rewards).

nzspokes
23rd July 2011, 18:35
Good on you. Perseverence has it's rewards (although in my case taking it to the bike shop had it's rewards).

It did. Still got a couple of small issues but did 70ks on it today.

My riding is getting better to. Way more confident.:woohoo:

dogsnbikes
23rd July 2011, 18:39

Keep at it,but don't get in that mindset that you need too work on it after work each day,leave it until a friday night or 1 day in the weekend where your not distracted by thinking of work the next day...

Now is the reg/rect opposite the HT coil on the frame under the tank like the CB250RS?? If so they will be mounted with the same two bolts,make sure they are clean as they supply the earth too the frame.......have you cheaked your starter solonoid and the fuse inside the plug attached too it??

nzspokes
23rd July 2011, 18:51
Keep at it,but don't get in that mindset that you need too work on it after work each day,leave it until a friday night or 1 day in the weekend where your not distracted by thinking of work the next day...

Now is the reg/rect opposite the HT coil on the frame under the tank like the CB250RS?? If so they will be mounted with the same two bolts,make sure they are clean as they supply the earth too the frame.......have you cheaked your starter solonoid and the fuse inside the plug attached too it??

Its all sorted now. Was the pulse generator.

I worked through the night a couple of nights. I hate having something beat me. OCD maybe....

dogsnbikes
23rd July 2011, 18:56
Its all sorted now. Was the pulse generator.

I worked through the night a couple of nights. I hate having something beat me. OCD maybe....

Onya yeah I can relate too that :innocent: