PDA

View Full Version : Make sure you check your stand is down properly - or else!

rageous
25th July 2011, 17:38
This is what happens if you dont check your stand is down on your nice new motorbike that you just bought.... Always check your stand is down properly ...... (hey, and no comments on my small bulge please)

sinfull
25th July 2011, 17:40
Jeeeesus ! That is small !

The Everlasting
25th July 2011, 17:41
Yup,I too learnt that the hard way!

Dodgy_Matt
25th July 2011, 17:51
Yep me too... on the Ducati.. 1 $100 indicator later :shit:

rageous
25th July 2011, 17:52
Yep me too... on the Ducati.. 1 $100 indicator later :shit:

Yup, I had just had my fairing painted too (08 R6) and a brand new Yamaha screen).

Dodgy_Matt
25th July 2011, 17:55
Yup, I had just had my fairing painted too (08 R6) and a brand new Yamaha screen).

Oh :no:

Never a good thing to have happen... what was lucky for me is it was 6:30 in the morning and no one saw me :wings:

blackdog
25th July 2011, 17:57
But... How is the bike?

rageous
25th July 2011, 18:01
But... How is the bike?

Believe it or not, one small scratch on the new screen and one tiny mark on the freshly painted lower fairing and crank cover. Typical as I have a R & G cover arriving tomorrow too.

DrunkenMistake
25th July 2011, 19:12
Crap, that sucks man,

TT will have a rage if he sees this post,
but when he was moving my bike for some photos (standing on the brake side) he thought the kick stand was still down, but nope, down she went haha

Hope noone seen you do it, its always the worst

short-circuit
25th July 2011, 19:41

Wednesday legs?

nothingflash
25th July 2011, 19:51
Ouch - bugger

hey, and no comments on my small bulge please

Is that camel toe?

ellipsis
25th July 2011, 19:56
....dont get a hedge trimmer...

short-circuit
25th July 2011, 20:17
Wednesday legs?

Wednesday going to snap?

98tls
25th July 2011, 20:24
Glad your okish.Many many years back when living in Wellington i set of from the top of the Rimitaka (?)hill cafe,from memory first corner was a small left then a right into a tightish left:shit:things went bad then...thought the bloody Ducati (89 Sport) had seized but nope,sidestand down and the bloody thing was pushing me straight ahead into a bank,tip broke off and managed to get round the left thank god.

Dodgy_Matt
25th July 2011, 20:37
Glad your okish.Many many years back when living in Wellington i set of from the top of the Rimitaka (?)hill cafe,from memory first corner was a small left then a right into a tightish left:shit:things went bad then...thought the bloody Ducati (89 Sport) had seized but nope,sidestand down and the bloody thing was pushing me straight ahead into a bank,tip broke off and managed to get round the left thank god.
Damn lucky dude..... :shit:

Ntoxcated
25th July 2011, 20:38
... (hey, and no comments on my small bulge please

Jeeeesus ! That is small !

WTF! :weird:

Zadkiel
25th July 2011, 20:51
I too leant this lesson the hard way.

rageous
25th July 2011, 21:04
Ouch - bugger

Is that camel toe?

Hey look, you cant see 'it' as its thrown over my shoulder for the photo OK.....:shutup:

admenk
26th July 2011, 15:10
Did that too on my Harley, whilst riding it home the day I bought it :facepalm: The dent in the tank is still there to this day - I say it's a "go faster dent" :yes:

fuknKIWI
26th July 2011, 17:24
This is what happens if you dont check your stand is down on your nice new motorbike that you just bought.... Always check your stand is down properly ...... (hey, and no comments on my small bulge please)

An inch less...
There's 2 times you should check your sidestand is down, you apparently left it up when you rode off:shit:
I failed to put it down properly when parking it:violin: it was a Sportster I had out on a 24 hour test ride. I took it from the stealership to work, a high security environment, the sidestand flicked back up again then I leant the bike over... surveillance footage showed me lying on the ground with my head bobbing back & forth (up & down?) laughing. Damage was minimal a very slight bend in the clutch lever & a little emery work required, that & a dressing on my elbow.

Westy_mate
26th July 2011, 17:28

Haha.. me too actually. luckily my baby fell on top of me rather on the pavement. a worthy sacrifice in my opinion.

Westy_mate
26th July 2011, 17:29
I might add it seems to be a trend that we drop our brand spanking new bikes.. :woohoo:

PrincessBandit
26th July 2011, 17:30
Ouch, those bruises do look painful!

My bandit went over once - side stand was down fine, but Balu (who had parked it) forgot that unlike his burger the bandit doesn't have a handbrake...

Aaargh! He parked it facing downhill on his folk's driveway, got off and the bike promptly rolled forward and over. I was not amused!

schrodingers cat
26th July 2011, 17:57
Did that too on my Harley, whilst riding it home the day I bought it :facepalm: The dent in the tank is still there to this day - I say it's a "go faster dent" :yes:

Well its Har(d)ley a go-slower dent is it?

Mom
26th July 2011, 18:40
I can also add to that if you are of short stature you must also make sure you stop on a camber you can actually get your foot down on. Nothing worse than that fresh air under foot feeling, I might add it is also impossible to stop the drop once it goes past a certain angle :yes:

Get some arnica cream on that bruise pronto and I am far too much of a lady to comment on your "bulge" :shutup:

rageous
26th July 2011, 18:42
Mt Dad reckons there is a mod you can do to the stand that lets it out further, therefore reducing the risk of it flicking back - or is he full of shit !

Mom
26th July 2011, 18:59
Mt Dad reckons there is a mod you can do to the stand that lets it out further, therefore reducing the risk of it flicking back - or is he full of shit !

I modded my stand to make it less likely to flick back, I took one of the springs off it :pinch:

Works a treat :yes:

Just be extremely careful to leave your bike in gear, so it does not roll off the elastic band that now holds your bike on its side stand.

ducatilover
26th July 2011, 19:11
http://phoenixwoman.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/big-hammer.jpg

tigertim20
26th July 2011, 20:59

she's a doozy!! nice bruise.

Its even worse when you forget to put the stand down on some one elses pride and joy, and unceremoniously dump it onto the tarmac. Drunkenmistake can tell you how dissapointing that is!!:yes::woohoo::innocent:

FJRider
26th July 2011, 21:06

File/grind a bit off the stopper ... usually makes the bike lean over a bit more when it's on the side stand ...

Ocean1
26th July 2011, 21:27
Buell succumbed to the general safety paranoia and made their side stands the suicide type. When you kick it forward against the stop you need to hold it there while you rest the bike on it. Left to its own devices it’ll spring back to a little backwards of perpendicular to the bike.

They make them like that so if you forget to kick it up you don’t pole-vault over it on the first left hander. Also so it’s easier to chuck your bike on the ground when you forget which one you’ve just parked.

c4.
27th July 2011, 07:45
1st left hander with the side stand down
:facepalm:

Dodgy_Matt
27th July 2011, 07:57
1st left hander with the side stand down
:facepalm:

Aww dude that sucks... how much damage to your bike? :shit: