PDA

View Full Version : Shot!

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 17:28
Just puttin an ad together for the NZ Adventures Yamaha trail ride.
Thought I'd share this shot.

Photo is by John Nick - no it's not - - Chris Stevens.

Biff
6th July 2005, 17:32
Just puttin an ad together for the NZ Adventures Yamaha trail ride.
Thought I'd share this shot.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :love:

Coyote
6th July 2005, 17:33
And I suppose if your brakes fail, it's those rocks then a drop?

Ixion
6th July 2005, 17:37
Bah. Now you've gotten Li'l Ratty all excited. It'll take me the rest of the evening to calm him down and shut him up. And stop the Whale sneering at him about F650s

Oscar
6th July 2005, 17:53
Oh oh! Pick me!
Whaddabout dese:

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/2993611-L.jpg

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/2993651-L.jpg

These could be yours for a surprisingly small fee....

GROOMER
6th July 2005, 17:55
That is an awesome pic! Wish I was there :)

Slim
6th July 2005, 17:56
We caught up with an obviously organised group of off-roaders in the Cardrona area in March. No idea who was organising it though. If you look closely at the attached, you'll see a line of bikes just starting to head along the base of the hill.

Waylander
6th July 2005, 17:58
And I was so happy with my pictures (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14034).:oi-grr:

Ixion
6th July 2005, 17:58
Oh oh! Pick me!
Whaddabout dese:

These could be yours for a surprisingly small fee....

Garrgh . Go away ! GO AWAY!. I'M NOT LOOKING. i'M NOT LOOKING. I've got my hands over my eyes. It isn't FAIRRRRR! :cry: :cry:

Oscar
6th July 2005, 18:02
Garrgh . Go away ! GO AWAY!. I'M NOT LOOKING. i'M NOT LOOKING. I've got my hands over my eyes. It isn't FAIRRRRR! :cry: :cry:

Heheh - best not look at this then...

:killingme

http://oscar.smugmug.com/photos/16044134-M.jpg

wari
6th July 2005, 18:28
BEeeut-fiffull ... :clap: :clap: :clap:

LOve dat serrenitty ... :wari:

bugjuice
6th July 2005, 18:32
awesome shots.... really wish I was doin that. Might hire a bike and give it a go in the spring..

Dave, that first shot, is that Queenstown?

crazylittleshit
6th July 2005, 19:35
nice shot very nice I love :love: the view.

merv
6th July 2005, 20:26
Great shot. That scene was in the latest Kiwi Rider eh!

I said I loved the South Island and you all looked at my old pics didn't you some of which were here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13647

and some were here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13566

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 20:56
Great shot. That scene was in the latest Kiwi Rider eh!

I said I loved the South Island and you all looked at my old pics didn't you some of which were here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13647

and some were here

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=13566

Nice! and well spotted.
here's what John Nick is using it for.
I've just emailed him this ruff

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 21:17
Suppose you need a friken licence for this trail riding bizzo? What month next year Dave? If its after March 19 I might send John an email.

Noted: put dates on advert.

they are all here.
http://www.nzadventures.co.nz/bookingform.pdf

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 21:28
Dave, that first shot, is that Queenstown?

Don't know sorry - looks like it.

sels1
6th July 2005, 21:38

How bout these....... :rofl:

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 21:44
Thanks Dave. Looks like the March one is fully booked and the one in February is too early for me. The west coast looks ok though. Whats your opinion on a comparo of these two rides? On face value it looks like the Otago one would be better, scenic wise. But the rugged West coast also has appealing factors. Which would you do given the choice?

I think the West coaster for the 2 crossings - but i'm not the best person to ask.
Do you know John Nick? He's happy to talk to anyone about the rides. Give him a call.

Oscar could chime in too maybe?

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 21:55
Some of mine.

sels1
6th July 2005, 22:37
Some of mine.

Is that your Tiger Dave? Whats your opinion of its off rode capabilities? I have test ridden a couple but only on the road. (Liked them). Definetly an option for next bike. Any maintenence issues etc?

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 22:59
Is that your Tiger Dave? Whats your opinion of its off rode capabilities? I have test ridden a couple but only on the road. (Liked them). Definetly an option for next bike. Any maintenence issues etc?

No unfortunately - triumph NZ's and i used it for the Capital Coast Adventure ride for KR.
Rode it to welly on friday, hammered it over the adventure bike course on Saturday and back to Akl on sunday.
I've also done a loop of the upper south island on one for KR as well.

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/south_tiger/index.htm

It hardly notices a thing when the tarmac stops and the dirt starts - even 2 up.

Lovely motorcycle. Several good mates have them.
Wonderfully well suited to NZ conditions.
No issues that I know of - I'd stick some fork springs and an Ohlins on it - but I do that with everything.

Strictly Dirt wise - it's pretty heavy - I don't have any trouble 'muscling it' - but it is a big bike. Better for touring than big air IYKWIM.

I'd have one tomorrow if i had the $.

merv
7th July 2005, 08:24
Some of mine.

Ah Capital Coast - glorious. I see Foreskins most weeks but sadly he still isn't talking much about organising another one yet.

F5 Dave
7th July 2005, 11:17
Oh man that looks glorious! Sittin’ at my desk I just want to ride my trail bike, it’s been too long, missed a couple of local rides from injuries.

Thinking, thinking, hmm $1800 bucks!! & that doesn’t even include a hire bike!! (my GasGas isn’t road legal). Bloody nora! Tourist prices. I’ll stick to day rides. Sheesh, do you think we’re made of money? Auss GP costs less than that.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 11:29
Oh man that looks glorious! Sittin’ at my desk I just want to ride my trail bike, it’s been too long, missed a couple of local rides from injuries.

Thinking, thinking, hmm $1800 bucks!! & that doesn’t even include a hire bike!! (my GasGas isn’t road legal). Bloody nora! Tourist prices. I’ll stick to day rides. Sheesh, do you think we’re made of money? Auss GP costs less than that.

Plenty of non tourists do these.
anyway - 'you get what you pay for'?

The hours of behind the scenes organising, planninng, staff, equipment, support. There is also access to exclusive areas that you can't put a price on.

Edit - john was just here proofing the advert (with dates added) - and I showd him this thread - He said 'and a $4000 satellite uplink phone and other equipment... and don't get me started on the OSH requirements - mountaineering certificates, guide qualifications' etc etc.

clint640
7th July 2005, 15:44

I wouldn't rate it as too overpriced given what we spend on our self organised adventure rides & the level of accomodation, meals & support they supply.

If you want to do it cheaper, organise your own ride, take a tent, & camp. With the aid of a few good maps, the 4x4 guidebooks, & even the itinerary listed on nzadventures website, (you'll find a lot of the places they go are public land/roads) you could put together some awesome rides.
Soon I'm going to start planning (which is fun in itself) a couple of weeks worth of riding with the Gerbil Gang down around Otago, scheduled for next Feb.

Cheers
Clint

F5 Dave
7th July 2005, 16:54
Yeah I’m not trying to be a skinflint (maybe it comes natural like) but I’d think you’d have to be pretty well heeled to be doing this sort of ride.

I would like to, but I really can’t afford it. I’m 37, I’ve paid off my 1st house & looking at a 2nd live in Wgtn & make a pretty decent manager’s wage, no kids (except 6 bikes). At this stage of my life I have the highest disposable income I probably will ever.

I can’t afford that, + either getting down there with a bike or hiring one.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 17:19
Yeah I’m not trying to be a skinflint (maybe it comes natural like) but I’d think you’d have to be pretty well heeled to be doing this sort of ride.

I would like to, but I really can’t afford it. I’m 37, I’ve paid off my 1st house & looking at a 2nd live in Wgtn & make a pretty decent manager’s wage, no kids (except 6 bikes). At this stage of my life I have the highest disposable income I probably will ever.

I can’t afford that, + either getting down there with a bike or hiring one.

sorry if I sounded prickly - didn't mean to. i can't afford to go either ;-(

merv
8th July 2005, 08:10
Big Dave one ride that might suit me for timing is the Volcanic Adventure NI next April. I checked John Nicks website and its not on there yet as far as detail go so I've e-mailed him to get some guff.

Do you have any info on that because John has been notorious at not responding to my e-mails in the past? Like where does it start and finish and where does it go etc? Presumably starts near Taupo or Rotorua or somewhere like that near the volcanoes?

ridespy
8th July 2005, 10:35
Suppose you need a friken licence for this trail riding bizzo? What month next year Dave? If its after March 19 I might send John an email.

You meed to have a Licence and a road legal bike to do these adventure rides, as you need to do some road riding, not very much, but some, John makes you sign a piece of paper to that effect, but you don't have to be legal and no checks are done, it's at your risk if you get stopped by the cops. :devil2:

But for just plain old trail riding on private land no licence is required, yet, I'm sure ACC wants to change that.

ridespy
8th July 2005, 10:40
And I suppose if your brakes fail, it's those rocks then a drop?
Sure is, lots of huge drops, and it doesn't take your brakes to fail to go off one.

On day 3 of that ride, I hit a large rock and was defected off a bank, took me most of the rest of the ride to get my nerve back.

ridespy
8th July 2005, 10:44
Don't know sorry - looks like it.

The photo was at Glendene station just out of Wanaka, if you look on a map it's that strip of land that has Lake Wanaka on the left and Lake Hawea on the right.

Big Dave
8th July 2005, 13:23
Big Dave one ride that might suit me for timing is the Volcanic Adventure NI next April. I checked John Nicks website and its not on there yet as far as detail go so I've e-mailed him to get some guff.

Do you have any info on that because John has been notorious at not responding to my e-mails in the past? Like where does it start and finish and where does it go etc? Presumably starts near Taupo or Rotorua or somewhere like that near the volcanoes?

Sorry merv - i do not have any info yet.

Problem with JN and emails is that he can spend a week or two on the other side of the black stump (aus parlance) guiding a tour and be e-incommunicado.

Best bet is to ring him on the mobile number on the 'about nz adventures' page.