PDA

View Full Version : Battery brand choices?

Kiwi Carguy
25th July 2011, 22:07
I need a new battery for the XB12R and have been quoted $210ish for a Yuasa battery. A quick look on the net shows cheaper batteries for the job. I often believe you "get what you pay for" but its not always the case.

Whats everyone's thoughts about the different brands. Some are like half the price.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=battery+buell&type=Search&generalSearch_keypresses=5&generalSearch_suggested=0

sil3nt
25th July 2011, 22:26
Motobatt are Chinese. Heard both good and bad. I just purchased one and so far so good. Can't go wrong with Yuasa if you have the money. I will try and find link to an post i read about motobatt.

sil3nt
25th July 2011, 22:27
Here we go http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2852426&postcount=139

Kiwi Carguy
25th July 2011, 22:31
Here we go http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2852426&postcount=139

That's REALLY helpful thanks. I can afford the Yuasa but just didn't want to fork out the cash if its just a re-labelled generic battery.

Katman
25th July 2011, 22:39
That's REALLY helpful thanks. I can afford the Yuasa but just didn't want to fork out the cash if its just a re-labelled generic battery.

Yuasa are streets ahead of any of the cheaper brands as far as quality and reliability goes.

Plus they have a 2 year warranty as opposed to the 6 months that you get with many of the cheaper ones.

Sable
25th July 2011, 23:12
Motobatts are awesome. I've run mine flat 3 times and it's still going strong.

Ender EnZed
25th July 2011, 23:24
+1 for Motobatt. Lots of bike shops stock them these days.

Spuds1234
26th July 2011, 07:57
Been using a motobatt for 6 months now and never had a problem.

thepom
26th July 2011, 09:13
I,m with Katman.......:yes:

cs363
26th July 2011, 11:03
I often believe you "get what you pay for" but its not always the case.

It is when it comes to batteries, I wouldn't use anything else than a genuine Yuasa, especially in something like a Buell or a Ducati etc. You don't want a cheap Chinese battery in a bike like that in the current weather conditions, particularly if it's not in use every day.
As Katman said, quality, reliability and warranty are miles ahead of anything else.

Edbear
26th July 2011, 11:07
Check www.shoraipower.com enter your bike model and ask me for a price.

ukusa
26th July 2011, 14:19

holy crap, $250 & $280 (US$ I presume) for the 2 options for the Thunderbird. Luckily I don't need one (yet!)
I could buy 2 x decent quality heavy duty car batteries for that.

bogan
26th July 2011, 14:24
holy crap, $250 & $280 (US$ I presume) for the 2 options for the Thunderbird. Luckily I don't need one (yet!)

Which would probably crank it over just as quick as a shorai, but how much would they weigh? :shit:

Apart from shorai not being an established brand with long term reliability reputation, they are the bee's knees :yes:

baffa
26th July 2011, 15:18
Just stick a crank handle on the side of the bike, much cheaper!

placidfemme
26th July 2011, 15:19
motobatt +1

Edbear
26th July 2011, 15:58

You couldn't buy their technology for that and they do claim from 2x - 4x battery life so at least double your cost for anything else to get a fair comparison.

Plus you get far better starting performance and they weigh about 750g as against nearly 4kg for lead-acid. They're environmentally safe to boot.

It's all relative, mate.

Swoop
26th July 2011, 16:14
Have just replaced the Yuasa with a Motobatt and will be interested to see what the differences are... apart from the price.

The yuasa has lasted 4+ years but has been giving hints that it is not at all happy. Decided to replace sooner rather than discover an "issue" at the side of the road somewhere.

ukusa
26th July 2011, 16:42
[QUOTE=Edbear;1130116886]You couldn't buy their technology for that and they do claim from 2x - 4x battery life so at least double your cost for anything else to get a fair comparison.QUOTE]

there's a Yuasa on trademe for my bike, $199. Cheaper than the US$250 - $280 for the Shorai. Can't see them being twice as good as a Yuasa

Edbear
26th July 2011, 17:56
[QUOTE=Edbear;1130116886]You couldn't buy their technology for that and they do claim from 2x - 4x battery life so at least double your cost for anything else to get a fair comparison.QUOTE]

there's a Yuasa on trademe for my bike, $199. Cheaper than the US$250 - $280 for the Shorai. Can't see them being twice as good as a Yuasa

Mssed the point a bit. They claim 2 - 4x the life, so outlast any other battery hence the need to at least double the other price as you'll be buying from 2 - 4 other batteries for every one Shorai.

Nothing wrong with Yuasa batteries, but they are not Lithium Iron and don't have the advantages.

vifferman
26th July 2011, 18:33
I agree about the Chinese ones; ordered a Yuasa, and a Koyo or somesuch was delivered. I replaced it after a while with a Motobat, which has been in the VFR for a couple of years now. The Motobat was both higher CCAs (cold cranking amps) than the standard Yuasa for the VFR and considerably cheapererer.
The only thing I don't like about the Motobat is the multi-purpose screw-on terminals, as they're a bitch to get tight. Though having said that, I'd buy another one.

Katman
26th July 2011, 18:40

Ok Ed, I'm intrigued.

What's your price on an LFX24L3-BS12?

Edbear
26th July 2011, 19:11
Ok Ed, I'm intrigued.

What's your price on an LFX24L3-BS12?

That would retail here for $349.00. As a rule of thumb to get the NZ price for products from the US, double the US price and add GST, which would mean the LFX24L3-BS12 would usually be $575.00. The current exchange rate is well in our favour, though, so I'm making the most of it.

I can offer a KB discount, but bear in mind I carry the costs of servicing the warranty, shipping and insurance etc. If a battery needs replacing under warranty I buy the replacement, and pay shipping, and then return the faulty battery at my cost and when Shorai receive it they check it and refund the purchse price of the battery only. So it's not as simple as people think to import product and stand behind it.

Katman
26th July 2011, 19:26
That would retail here for $349.00.

As opposed to it's Yuasa equivalent (YTX20L-BS) for $202.

As for their claim that they last 2-4 times longer......

Anyone can claim anything - it doesn't necessarily make it fact.

Latte
26th July 2011, 19:38

As for the companies claim that they last 2-4 times longer? Anyone can claim anything - it doesn't necessarily make it fact.

+1 - every one of Ed's posts specifically state's "Claims 2-4 times the life". that extra word wasn't a typo, if you plan to sell something, it does sound better if you stand by it.

The motobatt in the Aprilia goes well, it's not let me down (apart from leaving the headlights on for 8 hours, it still cranked, but not enough to start). Time will tell though as it's only been in for 6 months

The yuasa before it died at a stop mid ride, it had been fine till that point. No idea how old though.

Edbear
26th July 2011, 19:47

As for your claim that they last 2-4 times longer......

Anyone can claim anything - it doesn't necessarily make it fact.

Try comparing apples with apples. The Yuasa is 18Ahr, sealed lead-acid that weighs over 6kg. The Shorai is 24Ahr, Lithium Iron that weighs 1.8kg. Shorai, (not me), claim from 2 - 4 times the battery life of lead-acid. Shorai batteries are environmentally safe. Why not check their website and have a look for yourself at the technology and facts and then decide whether they are talking through a hole in their hat or may, in fact have a product worth its cost?

They are not much more expensive than other good quality batteries despite the very real advantages and taken into account, the expected battery life, makes them much cheaper by the time you've bought your second battery of any other type.

bogan
26th July 2011, 20:03
The Electric vehicle industry has shown LiFePO4 batteries to have much longer cycle life than lead acid, however it is of course a different application, but lend significant weight to that claim I think. They also have less self discharge, which again, lends weight to the better long term stability claims. The completely different chemistry between the two types actually makes it really easy to go and do a bit of research into the various aspects, and give some good answers.

Katman
26th July 2011, 20:05
They are not much more expensive than other good quality batteries

Try 80% more Ed.

Edbear
26th July 2011, 20:12
Try 80% more Ed.

My previous post is still entirely valid. I've seen other batteries from other manufacturers of similar capacity that retail in the mid - high $200's and as I said, take battery life into account.

cs363
26th July 2011, 20:30
Meh.... I'm not convinced that the advantages of LifePO4 batteries (which really only seem to be weight saving as far as anything tangible is concerned) are worth the extra expense unless you want something small, light & powerful for a race bike etc.
I'm sure the price will come down and the technology will improve further as time goes on, but I for one won't be rushing out to buy one (apologies Ed).
Some interesting reading on the subject here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

FWIW the original Yuasa sealed battery in my Ducati is now over 6 years old and still going strong.

Also, interesting that it's been touted that LifePO4 batteries are environmentally safe, yet as far as I am aware there is no recycling programme for them as there is with lead acid batteries (this is also mentioned in the above linked article) so where does this claim come from?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing them off, just think it's perhaps a little early to be ditching the proven and cost effective lead acid battery for something that is bloody expensive and doesn't offer any huge advantage over a properly cared for and maintained quality lead acid battery. (unless of course weight is an issue for you).

I'm sure there's plenty of folks who get all barred up over new technology and can't wait to use it, but I'll sit this one out for the meantime.

That's my 2 cents spent for the evening, as you were....

YellowDog
26th July 2011, 21:18
I read about the Motobatt units and saw the advert on Trademe.

A little more ivestigation led me to this unit: http://www.motoworks.co.nz/shop/189-mbtz7s-4-motobatt-quadflex-battery.html

It's a Gel unit too and certainly has a far higher crank rating than the YUASA unit it has replaced.

I was wanting as much power as I could get however the physical size was the main governing factor.

I liked the 2% per month no use discharge rating. The price was also a big plus.

I've had it in for a few weeks now. If it is still as good as this in 2 years, I'll be very happy :yes:

Edbear
26th July 2011, 21:42
Meh.... I'm not convinced that the advantages of LifePO4 batteries (which really only seem to be weight saving as far as anything tangible is concerned) are worth the extra expense unless you want something small, light & powerful for a race bike etc.
I'm sure the price will come down and the technology will improve further as time goes on, but I for one won't be rushing out to buy one (apologies Ed).
Some interesting reading on the subject here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/li-ion-motorcycle-battery/shorai-vs-ballistic-li-ion-motorcycle-battery.htm

FWIW the original Yuasa sealed battery in my Ducati is now over 6 years old and still going strong.

Also, interesting that it's been touted that LifePO4 batteries are environmentally safe, yet as far as I am aware there is no recycling programme for them as there is with lead acid batteries (this is also mentioned in the above linked article) so where does this claim come from?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing them off, just think it's perhaps a little early to be ditching the proven and cost effective lead acid battery for something that is bloody expensive and doesn't offer any huge advantage over a properly cared for and maintained quality lead acid battery. (unless of course weight is an issue for you).

I'm sure there's plenty of folks who get all barred up over new technology and can't wait to use it, but I'll sit this one out for the meantime.

That's my 2 cents spent for the evening, as you were....

No-one would suggest rushing out and buying the latest technology without doing some research into it. Shorai are unique and different from other LifePo batteries and I suggest not ony reading their website, but also checking them out on Facebook.

I took them on after considerable research and communication, but it was still a gamble to actually bring in the first two for test purposes. A few KB'rs have them now and my shipment due this week is my largest order to date.

I am going to be sponsoring Shaun Harris and Johnny Long this year with two of the batteries coming in this week so it will be a good test of them. I have only had issues with one battery and it appears to be a simple matter of requiring the next size up and Shorai now recommend the bigger 18A instead of the 14A for the Speed Triple. For some reason my customer had a problem with his particular bike and Shorai were quick to offer advice and cover the 14A as a warranty claim.

This customer was pretty clued up and had done everything right in checking and testing the installation, so we're chalking it up to experience. The US is taking about as much as Shorai can produce and they have had to up their production and are now shipping from two locations. One customer who's battery is arriving this week has just spent time in Canada and checked them out while there. He was impressed and is looking forward to receiving his with more sales likely if he is satisfied.

Kiwi Carguy
26th July 2011, 21:51
All interesting stuff.... so Ed how much for one for the XB12R?

doc
26th July 2011, 21:51
Motobat $120. Yuasa $340. The decision was easy got them in all 3 bikes. The terminals are better on the sporty too, never vibrated loose yet. Well maybe once. But the Sth Island roads could do with a bit of maint. Aye:shutup:

FJRider
26th July 2011, 21:56
Well maybe once. But the Sth Island roads could do with a bit of maint. Aye:shutup:

It's all the heavy vehicles that use it .... :innocent:

Edbear
26th July 2011, 22:16
All interesting stuff.... so Ed how much for one for the XB12R?

What year, mate? I have to put the year in before the model.

Kiwi Carguy
26th July 2011, 22:21
2008 thanks Ed

Edbear
26th July 2011, 22:29
2008 thanks Ed

LFX18A1-BS12 would be $279.00 (but should be $290.00) Cheers!

cs363
27th July 2011, 11:18
No-one would suggest rushing out and buying the latest technology without doing some research into it. Shorai are unique and different from other LifePo batteries and I suggest not ony reading their website, but also checking them out on Facebook.

I took them on after considerable research and communication, but it was still a gamble to actually bring in the first two for test purposes. A few KB'rs have them now and my shipment due this week is my largest order to date.

I am going to be sponsoring Shaun Harris and Johnny Long this year with two of the batteries coming in this week so it will be a good test of them. I have only had issues with one battery and it appears to be a simple matter of requiring the next size up and Shorai now recommend the bigger 18A instead of the 14A for the Speed Triple. For some reason my customer had a problem with his particular bike and Shorai were quick to offer advice and cover the 14A as a warranty claim.

This customer was pretty clued up and had done everything right in checking and testing the installation, so we're chalking it up to experience. The US is taking about as much as Shorai can produce and they have had to up their production and are now shipping from two locations. One customer who's battery is arriving this week has just spent time in Canada and checked them out while there. He was impressed and is looking forward to receiving his with more sales likely if he is satisfied.

Yeah, as I said - not having a go at you or the Shorai product, though I would take any information supplied by the manufacturer themselves with a pinch of salt as after all, they are trying to sell them, so independent information is of more worth to me.
I can certainly see huge advantages for the racing fraternity, and I certainly can't see anyone having problems with them for road use. However, when you can get similar or better life out of a quality lead acid battery I just don't personally see any advantage for road use, especially when the cost is factored in.
It's obviously an 'each to their own' call at this stage of the game, I'll consider using them when the price comes down to closer to a top end lead acid battery.

Edbear
27th July 2011, 11:36
Yeah, as I said - not having a go at you or the Shorai product, though I would take any information supplied by the manufacturer themselves with a pinch of salt as after all, they are trying to sell them, so independent information is of more worth to me.
I can certainly see huge advantages for the racing fraternity, and I certainly can't see anyone having problems with them for road use. However, when you can get similar or better life out of a quality lead acid battery I just don't personally see any advantage for road use, especially when the cost is factored in.
It's obviously an 'each to their own' call at this stage of the game, I'll consider using them when the price comes down to closer to a top end lead acid battery.

I agree about the racing scene, for sure, but even for road use, the advantages, especially if they prove to last several times longer, make them much cheaper in the long run. I can't see the price coming down much unless the US defaults and the USD goes down the toilet. Then the exchange rate will only be better for us!

bogan
27th July 2011, 11:40
However, when you can get similar or better life out of a quality lead acid battery I just don't personally see any advantage for road use, especially when the cost is factored in.

Which bring up another point, even shitty brand batteries can go for ages if they are taken care of, but if you have a habbit of leaving lights on, or a bike that requires a lot of turning over to start, you will rip through cheap batteries, expensive lead acids will have a higher turnover as well. While LiFePO4 is less likely to take damage from the same high discharge use. And their higher cranking speed and voltage make bikes easier to cold start too.

Only time will tell for whom they last longer. But right now they stack up better on every other point except price (which is potnetially cheaper in the long run anyway). Incidentally, you could also fit a bacon sandwich in the space saved by going with the shorai option (in my case anyway).

The Lone Rider
27th July 2011, 11:42
I'm using Yuasa in my daily and motobatt in my chopper.

No problems over the years with either.

Edbear
27th July 2011, 11:48
I'm using Yuasa in my daily and motobatt in my chopper.

No problems over the years with either.

My Boulevard is still on it's original battery and no issues there either. But when you are due for a replacement, taking the advantages of the Shorai, especially the expected life, the price becomes better value, read cheaper. The other advantages of weight, better cranking performance/cold starting and environmental safety may appeal to some and not to others.

DEATH_INC.
27th July 2011, 11:51
Even on the street you will benefit from the substantial weight saving. I could feel the difference when I put one in the 10. You get better acceleration, handling and braking. Not much else will do that. And you can keep eating those pies :facepalm:

And I'll repeat again, I've spent way more for way less weight savings. :blink:

Edbear
27th July 2011, 11:56
Even on the street you will benefit from the substantial weight saving. I could feel the difference when I put one in the 10. You get better acceleration, handling and braking. Not much else will do that. And you can keep eating those pies :facepalm:

And I'll repeat again, I've spent way more for way less weight savings. :blink:

Actually, when you consider how much effort the manufactuers put in to save a few grams here and there, in one foul swoop, you can save about 3 - 4kg! :woohoo: I'm really struggling to lose 3kg right now... :bye: Damn, it's lunch time again... :innocent: