PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iPhone 5?

Gibbo89
26th July 2011, 20:36
So I read that there is talk of the Iphone 5 coming out in something like September of this year. Does anyone plan to get one?

What would you hope to see in the new Iphone when it is released?

http://iphone5release.org/

Geeen
26th July 2011, 20:56

A gooey caramel centre :innocent:

jazfender
26th July 2011, 21:00
Longer battery life.

steve_t
26th July 2011, 21:07
^ Longer battery life!
8MP camera
Larger screen but the same size case or thinner
Faster processor
Other things are just a bonus

Kendog
26th July 2011, 21:28
My wife will be getting one, so I get the hand me down 3G, sweet.

The 5 will be pretty cool I think, it's been a long time coming.

jazfender
26th July 2011, 21:32

Well, a year...

nosebleed
26th July 2011, 21:34
Remote control for the garage door and of course, the TV.

Also some sharp-as pricing on the iPhone4 since it's really only "just" arrived

Mental Trousers
26th July 2011, 21:58

Well, a year...

They probably pushed it forward because of the balls up that happened with the iPhone4, try and bury that ugly whoops with a huge, fabulous new version.

onearmedbandit
26th July 2011, 21:58
Well due to everyone at my work having an iPhone 4 I was considering getting one (our F&I managers computer is a mac, so it makes sense for a number of reasons) but if the 5 is worth it I'll hold off until then.

Trudes
26th July 2011, 22:04
Well, a year...

I think he means it feels like a long time coming since I've had my 3G hand attachment for about 2 1/2 years and have been getting increasingly pissed off with it and threatening to throw it at a wall as I'm sure it's got slower, or maybe it just feels slow since using his ipad2. Anyways, I'm fucking dying to upgrade and can't wait for the release date to be announced. Might even take the day off to go line up like all the other Ineedy geeks. :o

jazfender
26th July 2011, 22:07
They probably pushed it forward because of the balls up that happened with the iPhone4, try and bury that ugly whoops with a huge, fabulous new version.

Actually it was pushed back, it should have been released in July if past release cycles are anything to go by.

Besides, sales figures are going "what ballsup?".

jazfender
26th July 2011, 22:08
I think he means it feels like a long time coming since I've had my 3G hand attachment for about 2 1/2 years and have been getting increasingly pissed off with it and threatening to throw it at a wall as I'm sure it's got slower, or maybe it just feels slow since using his ipad2. Anyways, I'm fucking dying to upgrade and can't wait for the release date to be announced. Might even take the day off to go line up like all the other Ineedy geeks. :o

Yes but they did release a whole new phone after the 3G...

nosebleed
26th July 2011, 22:21
Well due to everyone at my work having an iPhone 4 I was considering getting one (our F&I managers computer is a mac, so it makes sense for a number of reasons) but if the 5 is worth it I'll hold off until then.

Careful. I'm a fanboi from way back and justified my iPhone with the same rationale.
Biggest pain in the arse. To cut a long story short I had to upgrade the hardware in my (working perfectly fine) G4 so that i could upgrade the OS, so that I could upgrade (the perfectly fine) version of iTunes so that I could "operate" my new iPhone.

Those who blunder around on IBM machines seem to have a much easier time with iTunes versions.

Oblivion
26th July 2011, 22:22
I saw someone drop their Iphone 3g a while ago. Screen absolutely shattered. :blink:

I have a phone that doesn't even have a camera. I dont plan to replace it anytime within the next few years. So I don't really see what all the fuss is about all these apple products honestly...

jazfender
26th July 2011, 22:41
I saw someone drop their Iphone 3g a while ago. Screen absolutely shattered. :blink:

Yeah, they're not made for dropping.

Oblivion
26th July 2011, 22:47
Yeah, they're not made for dropping.

Thats what kinda annoys me about all these phones that they are making nowadays. They are as fragile as heck. I spose everyone can remember the good ol' Nokia 2280? That thing was sturdy as a brick. We even through it against a wall as hard as we could to see if it would break. Of course, it didn't :yes: One of the many redeeming traits of having a (relatively) old phone. :innocent:

jazfender
26th July 2011, 22:58
Thats what kinda annoys me about all these phones that they are making nowadays. They are as fragile as heck.

You can get a case if you want.

Like the US military:

ducatilover
26th July 2011, 23:17
Thats what kinda annoys me about all these phones that they are making nowadays. They are as fragile as heck. I spose everyone can remember the good ol' Nokia 2280? That thing was sturdy as a brick. We even through it against a wall as hard as we could to see if it would break. Of course, it didn't :yes: One of the many redeeming traits of having a (relatively) old phone. :innocent:

The 2280 was a beast. Bring it back!:woohoo:

onearmedbandit
26th July 2011, 23:23
I have a phone that doesn't even have a camera. I dont plan to replace it anytime within the next few years. So I don't really see what all the fuss is about all these apple products honestly...

I have a job where taking photo's is very handy, so is the ability to forward those photo's instantly. We have appointments with clients to book in, which isn't always done next to a computer, so the ability to update remotely appeals. Internet connectivity is a must, along with email. I also like to listen to music when I can, so an MP3 player is high up there as well, and GPS is useful too. So, I can have one device that does it all, or I could carry around a camera, a phone, an MP3 player, a GPS unit and a laptop with 3g to connect to the 'net etc.

And to be honest, my current phone (Nokia N95) does all this, bar remote updating. That, and the fact the screen is small compared to today's offerings are the only reasons I'm updating.

Oblivion
26th July 2011, 23:35
I have a job where taking photo's is very handy, so is the ability to forward those photo's instantly. We have appointments with clients to book in, which isn't always done next to a computer, so the ability to update remotely appeals. Internet connectivity is a must, along with email. I also like to listen to music when I can, so an MP3 player is high up there as well, and GPS is useful too. So, I can have one device that does it all, or I could carry around a camera, a phone, an MP3 player, a GPS unit and a laptop with 3g to connect to the 'net etc.

And to be honest, my current phone (Nokia N95) does all this, bar remote updating. That, and the fact the screen is small compared to today's offerings are the only reasons I'm updating.

And I have a cheap old phone because I don't use a phone that often. I topped up 20$ almost a month ago so I got 100 free texts as part of the 2degrees thing. They expire tomorrow and I've only used 12. :gob:

jazfender
27th July 2011, 00:15
And I have a cheap old phone because I don't use a phone that often. I topped up 20$ almost a month ago so I got 100 free texts as part of the 2degrees thing. They expire tomorrow and I've only used 12. :gob:

Cool story, bro.

I don't have a tennis racket because I don't play tennis.

Mort
27th July 2011, 01:10
You can fucking guarantee that the Vodafone shop will have huge advertisements for the iphone 5 plastered all over it about 2 months before the release date and when it is "released" in NZ (months after the rest of the world) they'll have imported about a dozen and everyone else will have to wait a further 6 weeks for the full shipment (just like they did with the iPhone 4)

Brian d marge
27th July 2011, 01:52
Doesnt talk to Linux , and isnt very muckaroundable , The software ( as one should expect is slick and works )

but until it talks to linux... apple can suck my balls, Had a 3g , swapped to HTC desire HD , like it very much

Want a tablet , but at the moment , ,,,not much to choose from ....( if IOS 5 updates the ipad 2 so it talks to the penguin , then I will buy ipad 2 ...........

Stephen

Grasshopperus
27th July 2011, 09:46
Well, it'll cost lots but it'll have a big apple logo that you can wear. And you can also do all of your important work on the run!

Scuba_Steve
27th July 2011, 09:56
The 2280 was a beast. Bring it back!:woohoo:

5120i+insulation tape (to keep the batt on) was the best phone ever created! period!

Doesnt talk to Linux , and isnt very muckaroundable , The software ( as one should expect is slick and works )

but until it talks to linux... apple can suck my balls, Had a 3g , swapped to HTC desire HD , like it very much

Want a tablet , but at the moment , ,,,not much to choose from ....( if IOS 5 updates the ipad 2 so it talks to the penguin , then I will buy ipad 2 ...........

1 word... Jailbreak

Brian d marge
27th July 2011, 13:56
5120i+insulation tape (to keep the batt on) was the best phone ever created! period!

1 word... Jailbreak
I am aware of Jail breaking , but ( as far AS I am aware) still doesnt talk to the penguin

Stephen

Gibbo89
27th July 2011, 19:54
Battery life is something that seems to be often complained about with iphone's and smartphones in general. Lasting one day seems to be the norm it seems? Obviously some smartphones will buck that trend. But I'm yet to jump on the smartphone band wagon as I'm waiting for the iphone 5 to come out (if it's not rated that well then I'll get something else). My current sony ericsson cell phone lasts about 5 days (that includes turning it off at night), but I can't see apple slapping in a super heavy duty battery for the next iphone... dreams are free though, eh?

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing what apple have jammed in their latest phone.

Trudes
27th July 2011, 21:39
Yes but they did release a whole new phone after the 3G...

yes, but I didn't buy one, so I still have my 3G, waiting for the 5.

jazfender
27th July 2011, 22:29
yes, but I didn't buy one, so I still have my 3G, waiting for the 5.

Oh ok, so it being a long time coming is your thing, not Apple's.

The new R6, now that's been a long time coming... bought mine in '98.

Trudes
28th July 2011, 08:33
Oh ok, so it being a long time coming is your thing, not Apple's.

The new R6, now that's been a long time coming... bought mine in '98.

Absolutely. I was never bitching about Apple taking ages releasing the iPhone 5, merely my timing in buying the 3G, getting locked into a 2 year contract with Vodafone and not having the disposable funds to buy a 4 just before the 5 is due to be released.

Scuba_Steve
28th July 2011, 08:43
I am aware of Jail breaking , but ( as far AS I am aware) still doesnt talk to the penguin

Stephen

oh you were talking like iTunes??? my bad I was just thinking straight files etc. There was once a program that allowed it but I think Apple shut that "loophole" down

Taz
28th July 2011, 10:52
Do these eyefone thingys still make plain old everyday phone calls? And do they have good coverage in out of the way places?

Scuba_Steve
28th July 2011, 11:04
Do these eyefone thingys still make plain old everyday phone calls? And do they have good coverage in out of the way places?

calls???, pfft thats so 1995, catch up with the times no-one makes "calls" anymore :laugh:

Big Dave
28th July 2011, 11:04
The phone is the only iGadget I don't have. Otherwise I have the full suite.

My solution is use the cheapest telecom handset I could buy - and an iPod touch - which is basically the iPhone without the phone part.

It keeps work and play separate. The iGadgets are great entertainment devices, particularly for a traveller, but too valuable to treat like I treat the cheap handset.

Scouse
28th July 2011, 11:27
So I read that there is talk of the Iphone 5 coming out in something like September of this year. Does anyone plan to get one?

http://iphone5release.org/ More memory as I have more music than I can fit onto my Iphone 4 so hoping for atleast 64 gig also better battery life and signal strength

ducatilover
28th July 2011, 15:33
Does an iPod go in your eye? :facepalm:

JimO
28th July 2011, 15:49
Does an iPod go in your eye? :facepalm:

why yes it does, same a a bumpod goes in your bum

Brian d marge
28th July 2011, 18:06
calls???, pfft thats so 1995, catch up with the times no-one makes "calls" anymore :laugh:

yup , I text 99% of the time trouble is wifi isnt available as it should be. There are portable wifi devices ( thinking about these )

I am weighing up the pros and cons now .... ditch the phone and just use portable Wifi and add a 16 gig ipad 2

but then when Im drinking thats 2 things I have to carry around ( pain in the arse ) why cant they just enable tethering ( scamming baskets they are )

Have been looking at comparable Android tablets ,,, ,, oh well wait and see

Stephen

Big Dave
28th July 2011, 18:15
>>Does an iPod go in your eye?
why yes it does, same a a bumpod goes in your bum<<

Youse should probably let me look after the comedy.

Usarka
28th July 2011, 18:18
I've got an iPhone it feels like I've sold my soul to the devil and his phone is in my pocket licking my balls.

RobGassit
28th July 2011, 18:29

Stephen

Is he even talking english? I only understood the "balls" remark. The rest was gibberish. Phuckin techno bastards. When the phone rings, I walk into the lounge and answer it. You can all get phucked!:blink:

jazfender
28th July 2011, 19:18
yup , I text 99% of the time trouble is wifi isnt available as it should be. There are portable wifi devices ( thinking about these )

I think phone carriers are going to have serious issues when Wifi is more widespread.

As long as I have a wifi connection right now I txt and call through that. Fo free.

It would be nice if iPhone 5 dropped the "FaceTime" moniker, it would be less confusing if it just said that it was video calls over wifi.

Brian d marge
29th July 2011, 01:22
Is he even talking english? I only understood the "balls" remark. The rest was gibberish. Phuckin techno bastards. When the phone rings, I walk into the lounge and answer it. You can all get phucked!:blink:

its better to keep ones thought to ones self , and let people THINK you are an idiot , rather than type and PROVE you are ( Im sorry Neanderthals for using your good name to describe this ... idiot ) a Neanderthal

Go away please

Stephen

RobGassit
29th July 2011, 08:07
its better to keep ones thought to ones self , and let people THINK you are an idiot , rather than type and PROVE you are ( Im sorry Neanderthals for using your good name to describe this ... idiot ) a Neanderthal

Go away please

Stephen

No sense of humor today huh. :bye:

RobGassit
29th July 2011, 08:19
No offence mean't to anyone on here. I was just surfin for stuff on the Ipad 2 and tripped over this thread. I was in a good mood and thought I'd take, what I thought would be a funny crack at the postings. Sorry guys. I'll crawl back under my rock.

Big Dave
29th July 2011, 19:51
No offence mean't to anyone on here. I was just surfin for stuff on the Ipad 2 and tripped over this thread. I was in a good mood and thought I'd take, what I thought would be a funny crack at the postings. Sorry guys. I'll crawl back under my rock.

I wouldn't worry about it mate. It's only Brain. It's not like anyone but him cares. :-P

Mully
29th July 2011, 20:28
Got a 4. I quite like it (despite myself)

The 5 would have to be a pretty big leap to make me "upgrade" though.

Oh, and turn down the screen brightness to make the battery last longer...

RobGassit
29th July 2011, 20:28
I wouldn't worry about it mate. It's only Brain. It's not like anyone but him cares. :-P

Can't be easy for him bein so smart and all. He probably just needs a hug.

Brian d marge
30th July 2011, 01:15

How to win friends and influence enemies .... try a refresher course in people skills

BRIAN

Aka Stephen

Brian d marge
30th July 2011, 01:22
Can't be easy for him bein so smart and all. He probably just needs a hug.

No read what you typed then have a wee think then realise there is a person on the other end.
The ask your self ( and that goes for others who think they are witty, me included ) that maybe it isnt

Heres another that doesnt work , "oh I was only taking the piss" ... ( not you Rob Im referring to the generic reply given by a whole lot on this site ) No you weren't you were being rude , hence My reply.

Now can we get back t Iphone 5

Stephen

EJK
30th July 2011, 01:41
Is Galaxy S2 welcomed here? :shutup:

Brian d marge
30th July 2011, 01:56
Is Galaxy S2 welcomed here? :shutup: I just bought a Acer ... So not sure !!!

am liking its ease of use , though this site seems to dislike the log in !

glad I bought a tablet actually !

Stephen