PDA

View Full Version : Rotax e-tec 2T DI, good for bikes?

bogan
27th July 2011, 12:29
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8Og0JCGKmQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting stuff. From the info I can find it looks like the 800 makes 155hp and tops out at 8krpm. Wonder how long it will be before we see similar engines in bikes?

avgas
27th July 2011, 13:02
If someone put that in a bike I would buy it tomorrow.
For years I have been wanting a 2 stroke snowmobile motor in a bike.
YEARS!!!

avgas
27th July 2011, 13:08
Out of interest... http://hooniverse.com/2010/04/13/dropping-the-h-bomb-on-the-world-of-vintage-racing/

I have always wanted one of these in a bike

White trash
27th July 2011, 13:28
I know a guy putting a 2T V6 outboard motor coupled through a trick snowmobile auto trans in a 650 Burgman. From memory it'll have a 300 section real slick and will (hopefully) be the worlds quickest scooter down the quarter.

27th July 2011, 21:24
Fuck me if ANYONE brings back a decent sized new 2 stroke road bike i will writing the cheque out straight away.(except maybe the Chinese or Koreans :shutup:)

scott411
28th July 2011, 02:56
it has always confused me to why kawasaki or yamaha (who both use 2 stroke DI technolgy in marine applcations) have never gone down this route on street bikes or dirt bikes,

i have been told that it needs alot of voltage to run the di system, but we now have battery less injected motocross bikes, so can not see why it would be an issue,

avgas
28th July 2011, 05:43
I know a guy putting a 2T V6 outboard motor coupled through a trick snowmobile auto trans in a 650 Burgman. From memory it'll have a 300 section real slick and will (hopefully) be the worlds quickest scooter down the quarter.
Sounds awesome.

Yeah I wish I got to meet Mr Newcombe

avgas
28th July 2011, 05:44
it has always confused me to why kawasaki or yamaha (who both use 2 stroke DI technolgy in marine applcations) have never gone down this route on street bikes or dirt bikes,

i have been told that it needs alot of voltage to run the di system, but we now have battery less injected motocross bikes, so can not see why it would be an issue,
Emmisions standards for vehicles on roads.

There isn't any for marine or snow........sucks really.
Fuck you greenies.

scott411
28th July 2011, 06:15

Fuck you greenies.

yes there is emissions standards for boat motors, and the di 2 strokes meet them as well as the four strokes,

avgas
28th July 2011, 06:37
yes there is emissions standards for boat motors, and the di 2 strokes meet them as well as the four strokes,
Is it as high as it is for road going vehicles in Europe?
I am guessing not.

Bender
28th July 2011, 08:10
The high pressure DI outboard motors do have to meet emission restrictions but they work in a different way to road motors, in that they tend to run at steady revs for long periods. (Snowmobile engines would have to meet the regs as well - they apply to any type of engine).

If you analyse a boat motor you'll find it does a lot of hours at low revs, typically whatever revs makes the boat move at 5knots (in and out of marinas and away from the launch ramp), at 7-8 knots (trolling speed for gamefishing) and 4000rpm (cruising speed).

At certain revs, particularly cruising speed, the DI engine will lean out the mixture, but add a touch more oil to stop it seizing. DI engines use a lot of outboard oil, and it is very expensive, being formulated specifically to run in a lean engine. This is sometimes called "lean burn technology."

(If they get it wrong, the engine, he go pop - if any of you are familiar with the Ficht DI technology, when OMC got it wrong with Johnson outboards, it killed the company with warranty claims. Bombardier bought the remnants and now makes Evinrude engines having phased out the Johnson brand.)

If you ever get a chance to look at a fuel consumption curve on a high pressure DI engine, they look more like a bunch of sine waves put together, not the smoooth curve we're used to.

For those reasons, that technology as it exists would not work on a road going motor.

But developing the technology to work on a road going motor would take only the will to do it.

imdying
28th July 2011, 10:04
it has always confused me to why kawasaki or yamaha (who both use 2 stroke DI technolgy in marine applcations) have never gone down this route on street bikes or dirt bikesCrap throttle response and drive-ability, both of which that can get around via autos and shite in snow and marine applications, AFAIK.

Pixie
31st July 2011, 12:04

Fuck you greenies.

"Evinrude E-TEC emits 30 to 40 percent less total particulate matter on a weight basis than a similar “ultra-low emissions” four-stroke outboard. Furthermore, oxides of nitrogen and hydrocarbon emissions for Evinrude E-TEC are similar, if not lower, than a four-stroke outboard."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evinrude_Outboard_Motors

avgas
31st July 2011, 12:40
Ok so what I have picked up here is that marine motors (or snowmobile/jetski) motors could work but what holds them back is the fact that they require constant revs?

Sorry but I still don't buy that as an excuse as 50 years ago that was the problem with Diesel's as you would stuff up glow plugs. Now every 3rd car I see on the road is Diesel.
So it must be something else.

What is stopping a DI 2smoke marine application motor in a car with CVT? Its more than just tech.

george formby
31st July 2011, 13:07
I'm saddened this has been taken no further, or rather made bigger. Sounded good at the time.

http://www.speed-sports.com/motorscooters/scooter_models/aprilia_scooters/ditech.html

tigertim20
31st July 2011, 18:01
155hp in a 600cc 2 stroke? yes please!
so its basically an injected 2 stroke with vtec by the look of it.
awesome.

bogan
31st July 2011, 18:44
I can't figure out why it isn't coming through even by small companies. They can obviously operate at different RPMs, so I don't see how making it change between them nicer/more often is an insurmountable design flaw. Are big companies sitting on the patents or something?

Bender
31st July 2011, 20:04
The big companies know how to do it, but they are choosing not to because it saves R&D costs, that's all.

As I said in my earlier post, if there was a will to develop two strokes that met emission standards, it would happen.