PDA

View Full Version : Decent gloves?

Dutchee
6th July 2005, 20:12
i prefer my summer weight gloves to my winter weights, but for one minor problem - my hands turn black when they get wet.

Anyone know of some decent ones that allow decent feel for the controls & don't leak the dye? Waterproof would be a bonus, but isn't strictly necessary. Maybe I just want too much (price up to about $150 I guess).
Cheers muchly for any suggestions (except no, I don't want to wear over-glove thingies).

Marknz
6th July 2005, 21:12
yep, wear some tight fitting Chux dishwashing gloves inside your summer weight gloves. Works everytime.

badlieutenant
6th July 2005, 21:20
spidi H2out winter gloves (yer 100% water proof)
about 180 $ but oh so worth it. :clap:

zeRax
6th July 2005, 21:35
wet hands aint cool, and wet hands trying to put on wet gloves is even less cool
i too long for summer weight/slim gloves that are waterproof^^, i guess all it does take is disposable gloves :O?, just pop em on when its rainin :R? i shall take some next time its raining and see how they are

HANDS MIGHT GET SLIPPERY

Biff
6th July 2005, 22:39
Kangaroo skin palms will offer the best protection/comfort/feel, but I'm not sure whether you'll find any for $150.

Big Dave
6th July 2005, 22:50
Probably heavier than you'd like but Dri-rider Nordic III. < $90 - personally found them better than the Spidis h2outs that i also have.

Beemer
6th July 2005, 22:53
spidi H2out winter gloves (yer 100% water proof)
about 180 $ but oh so worth it. :clap:

I second that comment, I have a pair and they are lovely - and they have never developed that revolting smell my cheaper gloves have. I've never had any dye come out of the Pro1 summer Spidis either. Mmn, I'm the Imelda Marcos of gloves, I love 'em!

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 08:34
i prefer my summer weight gloves to my winter weights, but for one minor problem - my hands turn black when they get wet.

Anyone know of some decent ones that allow decent feel for the controls & don't leak the dye? Waterproof would be a bonus, but isn't strictly necessary. Maybe I just want too much (price up to about $150 I guess).
Cheers muchly for any suggestions (except no, I don't want to wear over-glove thingies).

I use Spidi Tundras. They don't leak even in this crap weather we're having now. Good feel, no black hands. We have them at AMPS now @ $159.00 inc.

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 08:35
Probably heavier than you'd like but Dri-rider Nordic III. < $90 - personally found them better than the Spidis h2outs that i also have.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 08:54
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mate - I'll bring you in the Spidis for a look - my hands are wet through in 20 minutes on the un-hand-protected Tbird. Even from new-ish they leaked badly. Plus they are quite bulky compared to the Dririders.
FWIW Hyland doesn't believe me either, but I don't rate them at all.

k14
7th July 2005, 09:17
I've got a pair of teknic freeway's and I rate them very highly. Very very waterproof and keep my hands warm in chch temps. From memory they cost me $80. Had 1 crash in them and they held up extremly well, just a bit of scuffing on the palms, still look nearly brand new and I've had them for just on 2 years, done quite alot of riding with them aswell. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Heres a pic:

Warr
7th July 2005, 09:22
I've got a pair of teknic freeway's and I rate them very highly. Very very waterproof and keep my hands warm in chch temps. From memory they cost me $80. Had 1 crash in them and they held up extremly well, just a bit of scuffing on the palms, still look nearly brand new and I've had them for just on 2 years, done quite alot of riding with them aswell. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Heres a pic:
Have you ever had to re-water proof them ??

k14
7th July 2005, 09:30
Nope, they have always kept the water out for me. Although chch never gets and monsoon like conditions that are experienced in other parts of the country I have still ridden in some fairly decent downpours and they have kept my hands nice and warm and dry.

vifferman
7th July 2005, 09:36

Anyone know of some decent ones that allow decent feel for the controls & don't leak the dye? Waterproof would be a bonus, but isn't strictly necessary.
You sound like me - I too prefer summer gloves.
But (BUT!!) I do have some winter gloves - Orina Denvers - and I REALLY HATE THEM!! So, the other day I went browsing at Motomail, and found several different gloves that would do the trick, ranging from the Freeways k14 mentioned, to waterproof summer ones, to very warm and comfy winter ones.
Prices ranged from $89 through to $240 odd.
So don't despair - there ARE gloves out there that aren't too bulky yet are waterproof. :yes:

I've never had any dye come out of the Pro1 summer Spidis either.
I've got some of them too! Great gloves (even if mine are hideously colourful (yellow, white, black) Unfortunately, I've worn a hole in one fingertip, after nearly 5 years of use. :weep:

Warr
7th July 2005, 09:40
Nope, they have always kept the water out for me. Although chch never gets and monsoon like conditions that are experienced in other parts of the country I have still ridden in some fairly decent downpours and they have kept my hands nice and warm and dry.
Well I dont think much of wet cold hands and the gloves I shelled out around 150 for were "Nobo - Thinsulate - Motran"
I've re-water proofed then recently. But ended up putting on heated grips to increase the comfort level.

F5 Dave
7th July 2005, 10:13
On my touring bus (RF900) I put on some Maier MX handguards, which help with the windchill & rain protection. I don’t believe in ghosts, fairies, pixies or waterproof gloves.

--However who has a decent tip for de-dying gloves?

My Dri-Rider med weight gloves bleed blue dye (didn’t have black in my size & I care not for colour coordination). They do this in the dry with a bit of sweat. :no: Drives me crazy but otherwise they appear a pretty good glove & damn comfortable.

Do I try soaking them in hot water with salt or some crazy wives tale remedy?

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 10:38
Mate - I'll bring you in the Spidis for a look - my hands are wet through in 20 minutes on the un-hand-protected Tbird. Even from new-ish they leaked badly. Plus they are quite bulky compared to the Dririders.
FWIW Hyland doesn't believe me either, but I don't rate them at all.

If they're not too old I'll send 'em back. That's not normal for spidis.

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 10:46
I don't get this re-waterproofing of gloves.
The waterproofing is an internal liner, when this gets dirty it'll wick water through. But a wash in detergent compatible with breathable membrane often stops that.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 11:40
If they're not too old I'll send 'em back. That's not normal for spidis.

Thanks, but been at the bottom of the locker too long methinks. Bit mildewy - I'd tell me to piss off.

And on balance - as I said before - the co-pilot loves her spidi gear.

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 11:42
Thanks, but been at the bottom of the locker too long methinks. Bit mildewy - I'd tell me to piss off.

And on balance - as I said before - the co-pilot loves her spidi gear.

Nah, never tell customers to piss off. Ray doesn't like it.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 11:45
Nah, never tell customers to piss off. Ray doesn't like it.

It's never crossed your mind?

T.I.E
7th July 2005, 12:19
ive got a few sets of winter ones. with membranes etc. but i find once the leather is wet they take for ever to dry out. on the outside. and they always end up damp on the inside.

i use my old spool gloves. when they get wet they dry out real fast.
but i'm mainly around town. long hauls membranes gloves are warm and dry but once damp they stay damp. so i use 2-3sets on long hauls just in case.

TygerTung
7th July 2005, 12:36
I've got some darbi ones I got from eric wood in christchurch...

They are winter ones I think, but not bulky at all, I rate them very highly, very comfortable to wear!

Lou Girardin
7th July 2005, 12:56
It's never crossed your mind?

It gets half way across then sees the "unemployed" sign - does U turn.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 13:14
It gets half way across then sees the "unemployed" sign - does U turn.

Must remember that next time I'm grizzling about being self employed, taxes and bookkeeping. I've burnt some bridges with impunity.