PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Hyosung Aquila GV259 EFI

Old Steve
28th July 2011, 22:28
I ride a six year old Hyosung GV250, her name is GLORIA. I've ridden just under 20,000 km on her in the last 16 months. Today I left her in the bike shop having heated handgrips fitted, and rode the 2011 Hyosung Aquila GV250 EFI for the day. So, what do I think of the latest model GV250? What has changed in the six years since GLORIA was shipped from the factory?

Once I sat on it, fired up the engine, and rode off, there was so much that felt familiar. The new GV250 is still a comfortable bike. The seat is low, which is convenient for someone as challenged in the inside leg measurement as I am. The foot pegs are comfortably forward, the bars are not too wide, but the mirrors are wide enough and positioned so you get a good view behind, the seating position is upright. I've ridden of up to 390 km in a trip on GLORIA with no discomfort, and I know that this latest model would be just as comfortable on a longer trip as GLORIA is.

Once underway, the new model felt just as nimble as my older version. I have a favourite “long way home” which takes me through eleven roundabouts. If there is no traffic coming then I get thirty-three lefts, rights, and left agains. So I took the new bike up the same route, it felt just like riding my own older bike. The Hyosung GV250 cruiser is an easily handled learner bike and a ideal commuter.

But there are some changes to the new bike. The EFI brings a smoothness to the engine and the two into one muffler makes the bike much quieter. Well, much quieter than a 2005 GV250 with the baffles removed from the mufflers. The EFI fuel tank doesn't have a reserve in it, however I found that when the tank is low on fuel the engine seems to stutter once it reaches around 6,000 rpm. Sure this gives you an indication that the fuel tank is getting low (the digital fuel gauge mounted on the bars showed a couple of divisions when this started). But if you're only 10 or 20 km from the next fuel, then you can't get there at a comfortable speed or use your acceleration to get out of trouble.

The speedo and tachometer on top of the headlight have new layouts. While its great to see that Hyosung have retained the easy to read tachometer, the speedo has a disconcerting design. The numbers sit between bars around the outside of the dial. The numbers are easily sighted, but the bars denote 5 km/hr above and below the number. If the needle is on one of the bars, you're uncertain if you're riding at say 90, 95 or 100 km/hr. Maybe that would give you a chance of getting off a speeding ticket. But somehow I don't really think that saying, “Sorry Officer, the speedo is so difficult to read that I didn't know what speed I was doing,” would work.

However, the most noticeable change on the new bike is to the gearbox and drive train. GLORIA has a “can't-find-neutral-when-the-engine-is-running” glitch. The new bike has a very positive neutral position and a very smooth gear change, it's very easy to find neutral at an intersection or traffic signal. That's very welcome. To park their bike in neutral, riders of older Hyosung GV250s (and Suzuki Intruders too) come to a halt, drop the gearbox down to first, turn the engine off, turn the ignition on again, lift the gear change lever up with the engine stopped until the neutral light comes on, then turn the ignition off and park the bike. What a difference an easily engaged neutral makes.

Along with the smoother gearbox comes what seems to be a taller gearing. GLORIA shows 7,500 rpm at 100 km/hr. The new GV250 shows around 6,500 rpm at the same speed. Acceleration may be imperceptably slower, but this would suggest that a top speed of 130 km/hr or higher might be attainable (children, do not try this at home!). This means a rider on this learner cruiser should be able to keep up with larger bikes at open road cruising speeds.

So, would I buy a new Hyosung Aquila GV250? No. I've got my full license now so my next bike when I buy one will be something bigger. But should a learner buy one and will they enjoy riding it? If you're looking for a learner cruiser, yes. I've found my GLORIA to be an economical, reliable, comfortable bike with good performance for it's size. I love riding her, even now when I've had my full license for four months. And the EFI version has just a little more to offer. However, apart from the gearbox, the major difference I found between GLORIA (2005 GV250) and the new 2011 Aquila GV250 EFI was that GLORIA cackles, chuckles and burbles while the new bike seems to just efficiently whir. If I owned one, I would be looking at the tail end of the new bike's muffler, there must be a way to give it just a little bit more noise.

And the best news is that I've got the bike overnight. So I'll be able to ride it back to the shop tomorrow morning. Mmmm, thirty-three lefts, rights, and left agains. Maybe I'll leave early and go around twice.

rphenix
29th July 2011, 11:24
To park their bike in neutral, riders of older Hyosung GV250s (and Suzuki Intruders too) come to a halt, drop the gearbox down to first, turn the engine off, turn the ignition on again, lift the gear change lever up with the engine stopped until the neutral light comes on, then turn the ignition off and park the bike. What a difference an easily engaged neutral makes.

Well not sure about 05 but 07's this isn't much of a problem it can be a little hard to find neutral if your clutch lever isn't adjusted quite right. Make sure you don't come to a grinding halt (avoid just using your break pads to stop and be in the wrong gear) use engine breaking to slow right down and then for the last meter or so use a little bit of throttle in 1st or 2nd to keep you moving and you'll never have problems reaching neutral.

The power loss issue on low fuel is interesting a silver lining is it will let you know your about to run out of fuel and should get some gas :) My previous car was like that.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 08:33
Nice review. Not being rude but what do you weigh? Im about 100 and was wondering how it would handle me. And is it stable at open road speed? My little CBX wonders around a lot.

DMNTD
14th August 2011, 09:27
Nice review. Not being rude but what do you weigh? Im about 100 and was wondering how it would handle me. And is it stable at open road speed? My little CBX wonders around a lot.

The bike will handle you with ease mate. I'm around 110kgs at the mo and have just sold one to a guy who's 165kgs. Granted I will be installing newer stauncher shock springs for him.
Open road they are excellent for the style and size of bike.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 09:32
The bike will handle you with ease mate. I'm around 110kgs at the mo and have just sold one to a guy who's 165kgs. Granted I will be installing newer stauncher shock springs for him.
Open road they are excellent for the style and size of bike.

Sweet, Im still in the thinking of what style. Mates have sports bikes but not sure I like that. Im getting old!! LOL

Have to start saving my pennys. Like one with the screen, pack rack etc.

May head over the shore to look at one later.

DMNTD
14th August 2011, 09:35
Sweet, Im still in the thinking of what style. Mates have sports bikes but not sure I like that. Im getting old!! LOL

Have to start saving my pennys. Like one with the screen, pack rack etc.

May head over the shore to look at one later.

...yeah but you know you'd get a better deal from Tauranga, just ask 'Old Steve'! :wings:

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 13:46
Lol. Not decided I want one yet.

Not that I can afford it either. Would have to be a sharp deal. :Punk:

Chancebmx25
14th August 2011, 13:48
crap bike man hyosung are rubbish

Oblivion
14th August 2011, 15:18
Oh look, an opinion. :laugh:

Remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 16:34
I went, I saw. I want. :love:

But need to sort finances first. But so much better than I thought. The short muffler sounds good. But may get on my nerves on longer rides. I really like the Route 66 deal. Maybe swap a couple of bits about.

But will be awhile before it happens. :confused:

What a machine though. Would probably keep the CBX as well.

Old Steve
14th August 2011, 17:52
Hey Oblivion, give Chancebmx25 a break. He's ridden thousands of kilometres on a Hyosung so he knows what he's talking about.

nzspokes, I'm 95 kg, 170 cm tall, short in the inside leg. I've ridden trips of over 400 km on GLORIA and have never suffered "numb bum". I've just posted in the learners and wannabe forum on the mileage (or should that be kilometrage?) I've accumulated.

If I was starting out again, knowing what I know now, would I buy another Hyosung Gv250? Yeah, no hesitation. Good machine, good value, and I've had great service and help from Bay City Motorcycles (the local Hyosung agents).

But fit a ScottOiler! Saves a lot of chain oiling and extends the life of your chain and sprockets.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 18:04
Just been looking on TM. Seen an 08 one for good money with only 4000ks on it. Maybe an older one would be fine. Hmmmm

Our I could just wait.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 18:29
Steve, how reliable has your bike been? any problems? How far do you get out of a tank?

Oblivion
14th August 2011, 19:16
Hey Oblivion, give Chancebmx25 a break. He's ridden thousands of kilometres on a Hyosung so he knows what he's talking about.

nzspokes, I'm 95 kg, 170 cm tall, short in the inside leg. I've ridden trips of over 400 km on GLORIA and have never suffered "numb bum". I've just posted in the learners and wannabe forum on the mileage (or should that be kilometrage?) I've accumulated.

If I was starting out again, knowing what I know now, would I buy another Hyosung Gv250? Yeah, no hesitation. Good machine, good value, and I've had great service and help from Bay City Motorcycles (the local Hyosung agents).

But fit a ScottOiler! Saves a lot of chain oiling and extends the life of your chain and sprockets.

Didn't know that. In that case I'll retract what I said.

Sorry Chance.

Old Steve
14th August 2011, 20:26
I had a new set of sprockets and chain fitted at about 13,000 km (ScottOiler fitted at that time too), and new front pads, rear brake shoes, tyres between then and 18,000 km. Also had a new indicator switch fitted. I do regular oil changes, I change the oil at 3,500 km using a semi-synthetic SAE 10W-40, and have had her serviced every 10,000 km. Oil is the cheapest maintenance you'll perform. Since having the ScottOiler fitted at 13,000 km I've had the chain adjusted once.

It is difficult to find neutral when the engine is running, I turn the engine off then turn the key back on, find neutral, turn the key off again and park the bike (or start it again and wait for the lights to cycle). One of the previous owners has had the gear engagement/start switch disconnected - probably because they too started it in gear a lot because of the neutral glitch. I understand that this problem is less of a problem in later models. My GV250 has a tint of rust on the front indicator mounting bar, and the mirror bars are quite pitted - I think that's insect impacts and laziness on my behalf not autosol-ing them.

When I started I was getting 33 to 35 km/L (fill up at 450 km, and the 15 L tank wasn't even empty, not even on reserve yet) probably because I was cruising at 90 to 100 km/hr and slowing really down for corners. But now I cruise at 115 - 120 and try to keep off the brakes before corners (riding a 250, you've got to keep up your momentum) so I now average 25 - 26 km/L but still get over 300 km before I fill. I ran it until the tank was dry the other day, and didn't get onto reserve before she stopped, that was at 335 km for 13 L.

My GV250 is a 2005 first registered in 2006. If I was you, I'd jump at an 08 with only 4000 km on the clock, you aren't going to lose the depreciation you would on a new one.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 20:32
Thanks for the info. This is the one im looking at, but money an issue right now so may have to wait for another one when Im richer. I love the colour.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=394575708

St_Gabriel
14th August 2011, 21:04

I had a 2010 GV250 EFI, was a great wee bike and hauled my fat arse (0ver 120 kgs at the time) with ease. I was most happy with it and thought long and hard about getting another one when my first one got written off. I got a Suzuki VL250 intruder instead as I had done the "New Bike" deal and thought the VL was a better deal.

That said, my issues with the GV was that (from memory) the bikes redline was 11500 rpm yet the rev limiter cut in at 10500.... go figure. Also the chain adjustment screw holder plate thingys were bent from the factory as if someone attempted to adjust the chain before the axle bolt had been backed off.

rphenix
18th August 2011, 16:11
Also the chain adjustment screw holder plate thingys were bent from the factory as if someone attempted to adjust the chain before the axle bolt had been backed off.

Yeah the chain adjustment is shit. I've noticed the same on several Suzuki's that I park next to. Instead of hiding it inside the frame and having a plate on the end with the thread sticking out it would have been simpler and more reliable if they just went for an exposed design like this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2519/3868054739_a192e9b6c7_o.jpg