PDA

View Full Version : Great ride today

bigreddog
29th July 2011, 22:13
Testing out new front tyre only meant to go as far as Methven...got a bit carried away and went on the mount algidus rd...awesome out there today...just sat around for a while and took in the silence.243668243669243670243671

Gravel Man
29th July 2011, 22:41
This was taken about 3 years ago.

Cheers GM.

bigreddog
30th July 2011, 19:48
This was taken about 3 years ago.

Cheers GM.

hey GM thats a coincidence....wondered why the bike seemed to know its own way there....great little road isn't it?

MD
30th July 2011, 20:27
Impressive scenery. My folks owned the pub in Winchester when I was a kid, not that far from there.

I would love to ride up that way- Lake Coleridge and into the base of the Alps. I blast through on the Geraldine-Sheffield route regularly on the road bike but have never been able to venture into the alps where you went. Had plenty of dirt bikes as a teenager but never did serious adventure rides- as in going long distances into the back country. Once we rode to Rakaia settlement then went up the river all day. Came out somewhere ... lost.

Dumb question but how far up the Rakaia/Wilberforce river can you get on a bike?. Just looked on the satelite images and there seem to be gravel roads above Lake Coleridge and heading up the Wilberforce. Quite amazing how close the satelite pics make it look to places like Lake Kaniere, a regular road ride of mine back when.
Must be so remote where you went. Not many gas stations either. Didn't really have bikes up to it in the late 70s. And my current Tiger 1050 would be useless on anything other than a well ironed gravel road.

bigreddog
31st July 2011, 09:19
Impressive scenery. My folks owned the pub in Winchester when I was a kid, not that far from there.

I would love to ride up that way- Lake Coleridge and into the base of the Alps. I blast through on the Geraldine-Sheffield route regularly on the road bike but have never been able to venture into the alps where you went. Had plenty of dirt bikes as a teenager but never did serious adventure rides- as in going long distances into the back country. Once we rode to Rakaia settlement then went up the river all day. Came out somewhere ... lost.

Dumb question but how far up the Rakaia/Wilberforce river can you get on a bike?. Just looked on the satelite images and there seem to be gravel roads above Lake Coleridge and heading up the Wilberforce. Quite amazing how close the satelite pics make it look to places like Lake Kaniere, a regular road ride of mine back when.
Must be so remote where you went. Not many gas stations either. Didn't really have bikes up to it in the late 70s. And my current Tiger 1050 would be useless on anything other than a well ironed gravel road.

I ride up and around there pretty regular and i can't get enough of it...if you ride down to coleridge you can then keep going up into ryton station...I normally fill up at methven giving me 240 k's of riding and i carry an emergency litre...im a bit silly sometimes going up there on my own but thats all part of the experience and i always let people know where im going and eta for home...i ride well within myself too as it would'nt be a good idea to crash out there.Tiger must be a brilliant bike they are gorgeous looking things...you are right though they may struggle a bit on some of the rougher gravel...personally i would'nt want to ride anything bigger than my 660 where i go.