PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX1250FA (2011) road test

Bob
31st July 2011, 22:00
The sports-tourer is, in many ways, the ideal machine. Not only can it provide backroad fun, but it can do the practical stuff better than anything else out there. The standard feature is a large capacity engine that will handle whatever you throw at it.

The drawback? If you want one brand new, then you’re looking at well over 15 grand at today’s (Aug 2011) prices. Expect to pay NZD 23,000 for a VFR1200, 27,700 for a ZZR1400 or just shy of 28,000 for a Ducati Multistrada. So if I said “How about a brand new sports-tourer for just 14,200?”, you would probably be patting me on the head, sitting me down with a nice cup of tea and keeping me calm until the nice men in white coats came to take me away.

Say hello to the Suzuki GSX1250FA.

Click here to read the full road test (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/11gsx1250fa.htm)

YellowDog
31st July 2011, 22:37
I agree that it is a great value bike. I almost bought a fully kitted out one 3 years ago. At that time it was then the GSF1250SAT. Went for something not as practical however a lot more exciting instead.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the 1250 engine, but it was nevertheless a great all rounder.

If the missus hadn't got pregnant......

NZsarge
1st August 2011, 09:06
Expect to pay NZD 23,000 for a VFR1200, 27,700 for a ZZR1400 or just shy of 28,000 for a Ducati Multistrada.

Just to make some small adjustments there chap... A VFR1200 in NZ will run you about $30k plus $3k more if you want the hard luggage to go with it, a ZX14 goes for around $25k or a grand more for a flashy paint job and the Multisrada is i think about the $28k for the base spec version.

Maha
1st August 2011, 09:16
....and by the time you throw another $8k at it with all the mods you need to make it the ultimate bike (for you) you might as well by something that doesn't have that hidden 'false economy' value.

NZsarge
1st August 2011, 09:51
Ah screw it, may as well go out and blow $46k on the new BMW K1600GT and be done with it... :niceone: :D

Hitcher
1st August 2011, 21:30
"Good value" are the words often used to describe some things in life in a sort of derogatory way.

In the case of the GSX1250FA (or the Technically-Not-A-Bandit), it is good value, and certainly not perfect. But it's a damned fine motorcycle that can be made heaps better with some reasonably affordable customisations that will still see it cost heaps less than its competition.

I say that having owned and wound about 80,000km onto the best bike in the sports touring class -- a Yamaha FJR1300.

What do I miss about the Big Yam compared with a tricked up TNAB?

A full alloy frame. The Bandit is tubular steel. It's OK but feels a bit flexy when being pushed hard around rough twisties.
The seat. However Mac McDonald has fixed up the TNAB's saddle splendidly.
The brakes. The TNAB's stoppers are ABS and pretty darned good, but the R1-sourced stoppers on the FJR are simply outstanding.
The engine. A 1250 with a torque peak at 3,750rpm and a redline at 9,500rpm is beguilingly engaging. Indeed it's a tubine, a turbine that you end up riding like a diesel with lots of short shifting and lugging involved. But there's the odd rare occasion when I miss a 1,300cc mill that pulls like Saturn V all the way to infinity +1.
The headlight. Low beam on the TNAB leaves a lot to be desired. Highbeam is OK but a bit too directional.

However the TNAB has some charms that the FJR doesn't have:

Lack of weight. It's a big bike but not an elephant.
That gearbox. It's the best gearbox on any bike I've ever ridden. Ironically you don't need to use it much -- the TNAB will pull from rest to significantly in excess of the open road speed limit in third gear -- but I do because it's just so easy and enjoyable.
No electric screen. Screens are overrated and major impediments to riding pleasure, particularly with the helmet noise and chop and buffet that they generate. I've upgraded the screen on my TNAB to give me a bit more chest protection.

I'm also a bit underwhelmed by the TNAB's front suspension but that's my next mod, in about 10,000km when I'll do the rear as well. Stock suspenders don't last that long. The FJR's rear rebound was completely munted after 30,000km. I should have Ohlinsed it earlier. The TNAB will get the Ohlins treatment at about 20,000km. I can live with the front's shortcomings until then.

My only other grizzle about the TNAB is its instrumentation. Why can't I see the clock and the odometer at the same time or at least have a convenient toggle switch? This is a big reason I've got a GPS fitted. An ambient temperature gauge would also be a good addition -- one of the many things I miss about my Shiver.

All that said, I'm really enjoying the TNAB. It may underwhelm at times but it doesn't disappoint. These things are great value for money. That's a concept Mr Suzuki understands very well.